HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion (Mar. 29 article, post #976)

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 08:17 PM
FLYERSFAN18

vCash: 500
At this point it really seems like Seth Jones is the player that we need. He has the talent to be a #1 dman and we we really need one. If we don't get him I think it might be a huge disappointment. I think MacKinnon and Drouin are going to be great players as well, but Jones just makes too much sense for the Flyers moving forward

Old
03-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Jack de la Hoya

People are blowing the Nurse-McNabb thing way out of proportion. Even if there was still ill-will between McNabb and the Eagles, I think it is reach to assume that those feelings transfer over to Philadelphia hockey fans.

More importantly, there is just a little bit of a difference between the pressure that comes with being an NFL quarterback and a very promising hockey prospect.

EDIT: I assume 90 percent of you are joking--which I enjoy. I actually thought it was a neat factoid when I initially learned about the relationship. But if anyone is serious, I think that they probably need to think through the situations a bit more critically.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 03-23-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old
03-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
At this point it really seems like Seth Jones is the player that we need. He has the talent to be a #1 dman and we we really need one. If we don't get him I think it might be a huge disappointment. I think MacKinnon and Drouin are going to be great players as well, but Jones just makes too much sense for the Flyers moving forward
I agree defensemen is a huge need and Seth Jones would be great, but the Flyers also need a great forward to compliment Giroux. Voracek, B.Schenn, and the others are solid players, but he needs an elite guy to bring out his best. Look what old Jagr did for hiis game before he broke down. If they miss out on Jones, so be it as long as they get an elite player. If thats Barkov, Drouin, Mackinnon, or even Monahan I am good with it.

Old
03-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I agree defensemen is a huge need and Seth Jones would be great, but the Flyers also need a great forward to compliment Giroux. Voracek, B.Schenn, and the others are solid players, but he needs an elite guy to bring out his best. Look what old Jagr did for hiis game before he broke down. If they miss out on Jones, so be it as long as they get an elite player. If thats Barkov, Drouin, Mackinnon, or even Monahan I am good with it.
Maybe I'm wrong, but my sense of Monahan is that he projects to a 2C-type role (in other words, the same as Schenn and Couturier). A good two-way game, but not elite offensively by any stretch.

Of all the players who seem reasonably likely to be taken in spots 1-7 or so, he's the one guy that I think I'd have trouble getting excited about.

Old
03-23-2013, 08:48 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I would be happy with MacKinnon, Drouin, etc. but this teams biggest need by a large margin is a top notch defenseman. Followed by finding a goalie we can win with and then a goal scoring winger for Giroux. That my opinion

Old
03-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but my sense of Monahan is that he projects to a 2C-type role (in other words, the same as Schenn and Couturier). A good two-way game, but not elite offensively by any stretch.

Of all the players who seem reasonably likely to be taken in spots 1-7 or so, he's the one guy that I think I'd have trouble getting excited about.
Thought the same thing to except too but have been reading a little more about him. Unlike B.Schenn he is projected as a #1 and like Couturier, he has fallen down the ranks a little bit because newer guys have passed him more so than his play and he is playing with nobody. I have seen a few Toews comparisons: not flashy but very productive. That being said, he isn't as exciting as Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nich, or Linholm but I wouldn't be disappointed.

IMO there is an elite 8 in this draft: Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichuskin, Lindholm, Monahan and Nurse. Would be happy with anyone of them and the Flyers could use any one of them.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:11 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Yeah he's got some sick hands very Patrick Kane like. But it's a lot easier to stick handle around defenders in juniors than the NHL. We should wait until plays a game first before claiming that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Whoa, whoa guy.

He hasn't even played a game at the nhl level lets wait until we deem his hands some of the best to ever enter the NHL.
Key phrase was "come into" the league. At the time of the draft, I can't think of too many guys on his level when it comes to this category.

It's not like I proclaimed him a HoFer. It's like saying MacKinnon is one of the best skaters to come into the league. I mentioned a physical trait. If you haven't seen the kid play and want to reserve judgment. Go for it. I'm just making a statement based on what the kid has done thus far. You may think it's a bit over the top, I think the kid is that special of a player. Hell of a consolation prize if you end up picking top 2.

Last edited by FLYguy3911: 03-23-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old
03-23-2013, 10:17 PM
mercury

I actually have a good feeling that the Flyers will end up with a great prospect in this draft. Maybe even a certain top-ranked defenseman whose name I will not mention, so as not to jinx.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:27 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Key phrase was "come into" the league. At the time of the draft, I can't think of too many guys on his level when it comes to this category.

It's not like I proclaimed him a HoFer. It's like saying MacKinnon is one of the best skaters to come into the league. I mentioned a physical trait. If you haven't seen the kid play and want to reserve judgment. Go for it. I'm just making a statement based on what the kid has done thus far. You may think it's a bit over the top, I think the kid is that special of a player. Hell of a consolation prize if you end up picking top 2.
Okay my apologies then I misunderstood your post.

I watched him at the WJC and highlights on YouTube. I'm a big fan of his. And yes he would be a hell of consolation prize.

Patrick Kane was another guy like that during his draft year. He had some sick goals with London and Team USA during the WJC's that year.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I actually have a good feeling that the Flyers will end up with a great prospect in this draft. Maybe even a certain top-ranked defenseman whose name I will not mention, so as not to jinx.
Well, right now, we're in striking distance....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/?show=league

Closer to 30th than 8th in the east.....

Old
03-23-2013, 10:48 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

And every non-playoff team gets a shot at #1 now, right?

Old
03-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

Worse off today than yesterday. Tampa "jumped" us.

The worst case scenario, I think, is that we finish 5th and someone below us in the draft wins the lottery, dropping us to 5th. In some order, Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, and Nurse go off the board.

Quote:
Yes.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Larry44

Quote:
As Flyer fans, we have to assume we will lose the lottery. That's why it is imperative to work our way as close to the top of the draft board as possible.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:38 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
As Flyer fans, we have to assume we will lose the lottery. That's why it is imperative to work our way as close to the top of the draft board as possible.
They owe us dammit!!!

Old
03-23-2013, 11:43 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Worse off today than yesterday. Tampa "jumped" us.

The worst case scenario, I think, is that we finish 5th and someone below us in the draft wins the lottery, dropping us to 5th. In some order, Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, and Nurse go off the board.
You mean 6th, right?

Old
03-23-2013, 11:49 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

Quote:
With the draft being my main focus now with this season in shambles, I just automatically assume in any scenario in my head that we lose the lottery.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:10 AM
ahthorne

Honestly, I wouldn't pick Nichushkin but I'd be happy with any of the following, in order. Not that I wouldn't be happy with Nichushkin but I don't think we should risk a 'boom or bust' prospect and we all saw how far Grigorenko fell last year...

1. Jones
2. MacKinnon
3. Drouin
4. Barkov
5. Lindholm
6. Monahan
7. Nurse
8. Pulock
9. Zadorov
10. Ristolainen

I figure we'll be in the top-10... and even if we get a forward that give us the opportunity to trade another forward we have for a high-end defender who could step in right away. Unless the team completely tanks and/or wins the lottery I don't see Jones ending up on Philly. Pulock and Nurse wouldn't be bad defenders to take, though.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:18 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't pick Nichushkin but I'd be happy with any of the following, in order. Not that I wouldn't be happy with Nichushkin but I don't think we should risk a 'boom or bust' prospect and we all saw how far Grigorenko fell last year...
Grigs didn't just fall because he was Russian. Nichushkin is a superior talent.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:49 AM
ahthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Grigs didn't just fall because he was Russian. Nichushkin is a superior talent.
Possibly true, but Grigs was tops on the ISS rankings and etc. for a while, not saying one > the other but they are comparable given the erratic placements that they have seemed to have going from one list to another. I'd just pick the other 10 I listed before Nichushkin is all I meant by it.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:12 AM
mercury

Quote:
I am against tanking, but I have no problem being a seller at the trade deadline and using a buyout this summer.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:19 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
I wouldn't go that far. If the Flyers don't land Jones, there's nothing wrong with a guy like Darnell Nurse as a consolation prize. The difference between Jones and Nurse isn't as great as some seem to think it is. Nurse put up fantastic numbers while being the defensive conscience in Sault Ste. Marie this year. He just turned 18 and his physical attributes are very similar to that of Jones.

Nurse, much like Jones, is a big kid that can really skate. On top of it, Nurse is a more physical player and is a better defender in his zone (something that comes with the position of being a defenseman). He's got a fantastic shot from the point and his outlet pass is very hard, very crisp and is tape to tape.

I'm not taking anything away from Jones because he's had a fantastic year in WHL and he really put his game together in the World Junior tournament this year. With that being said, the difference between Jones and Nurse isn't as great as it's being made out to be.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:27 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
And it makes perfect sense, as LoD posted, for Columbus to use one of their picks on Nikushkin if he is available when they draft. They can arguably afford to take the chance on him and still snag a couple of lower-risk players.
I would think CLB might be done w/ the 1st round Russians for awhile with the failures of Filatov and Zherdev, but who knows...

Old
03-24-2013, 12:52 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Gut feeling? I dont think we end up with Jones. Another gut feeling? We take a forward with whatever pick we have. 2nd round we take a defender though.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Gut feeling? I dont think we end up with Jones. Another gut feeling? We take a forward with whatever pick we have. 2nd round we take a defender though.
My gut echoes these feelings.

03-24-2013, 01:27 PM
daynus

i would make a bet in vegas

that someone in the top 4 is gonna win the lotto, and whatever spot we are at we will not drop to a lethal number where if we take bpa, we will not get the guy we want. mind you a drop from 2 to 3 is ok, a drop from 3 to 4 is also ok. but a drop from 5 to 6 is not great for us.

Closed Thread