HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 09:35 PM
nelli27
Danny Gallivan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan1990 View Post
I hate playing american teams in the playoffs, I'm guessing the games not going to be on tv?
You can order the games on Livestream (on the OHL website) for approx. $7. The picture quality varies, so don't expect HD or even SD for that matter---even still, it's worth the money. Some Canadian OHL teams send a camera crew to the U.S. to cover playoff games. E.g. The London-Saginaw series will be broadcast to viewers in London, and those on OHL ActionPak.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelli27 View Post
You can order the games on Livestream (on the OHL website) for approx. $7. The picture quality varies, so don't expect HD or even SD for that matter---even still, it's worth the money. Some Canadian OHL teams send a camera crew to the U.S. to cover playoff games. E.g. The London-Saginaw series will be broadcast to viewers in London, and those on OHL ActionPak.
Living in northeast Ohio I rely on OHL Livestream to watch all my OHL games. The american markets arent even the worst on there. To be honest feeds from the Soo, Guelph, Niagara, and even London of all places have a blurry feed to it. I can't even really follow the puck on the ice all that well from those feeds. So it's not really the market it's in, its a problem on OHL Livestream's end. Since they actually use the TV Cogeco/Rogers TV feed for the games in the Canadian markets.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Shaun Bisson

vCash: 50
OHL Live is great because you can watch every single game, but damn. TV Cogeco/Rogers TV need better feeds and commentators. It is BAD in some places.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:48 PM
nelli27
Danny Gallivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
Living in northeast Ohio I rely on OHL Livestream to watch all my OHL games. The american markets arent even the worst on there. To be honest feeds from the Soo, Guelph, Niagara, and even London of all places have a blurry feed to it. I can't even really follow the puck on the ice all that well from those feeds. So it's not really the market it's in, its a problem on OHL Livestream's end. Since they actually use the TV Cogeco/Rogers TV feed for the games in the Canadian markets.
Yes, you're absolutely right...I should have been clearer.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:25 AM
truestingfan

Great Game Sting! Well done JP. You gave your team a chance to win.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:04 AM
massey

Rule #1
Down 3-2 with faceoff in opposition end with under 60 sec left in game,Pull goalie.Jocko,what the hell were you thinking not pulling JP.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:20 PM
HockeyCritics

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Rule #1
Down 3-2 with faceoff in opposition end with under 60 sec left in game,Pull goalie.Jocko,what the hell were you thinking not pulling JP.
Yes i agree with you on that one.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:58 PM
SarniaSting101

Quote:
Rule #1
I disagree! Only that it is Rule #2!

Rule #1 is don't leave your starting goalie in the net for 11 goals when he has to play 24 hours later! LOL

Old
03-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarniaSting101 View Post
I disagree! Only that it is Rule #2!

Rule #1 is don't leave your starting goalie in the net for 11 goals when he has to play 24 hours later! LOL
Your coach obviously has a major issue with pulling the goalie in ANY circumstance.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:45 PM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
Your coach obviously has a major issue with pulling the goalie in ANY circumstance.
4-2 or 3-2 you still lose. I saw somewhere if down by 1 with one minute left, pull goalie...down by two, pull goalie with 2 minutes left...
Aside from that, i am afraid Jocko does not think ahead. It is the what ifs that impacted many games this season. Did the same thing against OS at home... Did he call a time out or did i miss that too? Regardless, if you don't shoot the puck, you don't score.. If you don't hit the net you don't score. Put the puck on the net and who knows how it bounces.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
4-2 or 3-2 you still lose. I saw somewhere if down by 1 with one minute left, pull goalie...down by two, pull goalie with 2 minutes left...
Aside from that, i am afraid Jocko does not think ahead. It is the what ifs that impacted many games this season. Did the same thing against OS at home... Did he call a time out or did i miss that too? Regardless, if you don't shoot the puck, you don't score.. If you don't hit the net you don't score. Put the puck on the net and who knows how it bounces.
My comment was meant as a joke. He didn't pull JP during an 11 goal route, nor when he should have late in Game #2.

It's tough to deliver a joke properly on a forum.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:02 AM
SarniaSting101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
My comment was meant as a joke. He didn't pull JP during an 11 goal route, nor when he should have late in Game #2.

It's tough to deliver a joke properly on a forum.
I got your humour!! But the said part is there is so much truth in what you are saying!! He obviously has no clue what to do with the goalie situation!!

Old
03-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Prospectwatch

Up and Coming

[QUOTE=truestingfan;62183031][QUOTE=HockeyCritics;62176699]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post

Careful on anointing Cam. he was cut from his first team this year, playing "jr.z" according to our radio, had to go to Ohio to play m midget, (why didn't Michigan AAA teams want him?? ) and being from Saginaw, you would think that they would draft from their backyard if the opportunity presented itself. But I am for giving the kid a chance.
Ashley is a great prospect for any OHL team that has him on the roster, including Saginaw.. Your information is way off on Ashley. Your source is obviously a couple second year Midget Minor non-performers from Deroit who's daddy keeps telling them how great they are...

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 03-26-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Flaming
Old
03-25-2013, 04:52 PM
HockeyCritics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarniaSting101 View Post
I got your humour!! But the said part is there is so much truth in what you are saying!! He obviously has no clue what to do with the goalie situation!!
Why was Dawe on bench instead of Barrick for game 2 ????

Old
03-25-2013, 05:49 PM
PdashOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritics View Post
Why was Dawe on bench instead of Barrick for game 2 ????
In here, Beaulieu said they were going to rotate the back-ups.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:39 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdashOw View Post
In here, Beaulieu said they were going to rotate the back-ups.
Too bad you don't have a back-up coach

Old
03-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Sempron

we do. trevor. the guys would go through a brick wall for him. am getting the feeling he will be head coach in the near future.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:29 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

After watching the game last night, I have a few thoughts:

- Sarnia needs to get tougher or better yet, more physical, as a team. I'd say at least three goals were a result from not being tougher to play against. The team gives up the blueline waaaay too easy. I'm not sure if this is part of their game plan or the fault of the D but PLY had probably 10 or so prime scoring chances just from walking easily into the zone and unleashing a shot from the top of the circle (or closer). I'd like to see them hold the blueline. After watching them play passively last night, I wouldn't be against them grabbing a few physical Dmen at the draft (Lizotte, Clapham, MacArthur)

- start finishing some checks. Sarnia is clearly a small team so the players don't need to make a board rattling body check but they'd be much tougher to play against if they rubbed players out rather than dancing freely into the scoring area of the ice.

- it's going to be a long year next year. It'll be nearly impossible for Sarnia to replace Sarault, Anderson, and potentially Boucher (likely)...as well as Gally and Murphy. The Sting need some young guys to really develop over the summer or I'm afraid they may be one of the bottom feeders. It's not really a knock on anyone but it's going to be a true rebuild year. (Too bad Sean Day got exceptional status). It will be fun to see how some of the young talent performs with more ice time

- Hopin Sarnia can extend the season a little longer Wednesday night but damn, PLY is good.

- Have to give credit to Plymouth. They're a great team from top to bottom. Sarnia is just overmatched in every area (except goaltending - JP was awesome Monday night)

Old
03-26-2013, 04:38 PM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post

- Sarnia needs to get tougher or better yet, more physical, as a team. I'd say at least three goals were a result from not being tougher to play against. The team gives up the blueline waaaay too easy. I'm not sure if this is part of their game plan or the fault of the D but PLY had probably 10 or so prime scoring chances just from walking easily into the zone and unleashing a shot from the top of the circle (or closer). I'd like to see them hold the blueline. After watching them play passively last night, I wouldn't be against them grabbing a few physical Dmen at the draft (Lizotte, Clapham, MacArthur)

- start finishing some checks. Sarnia is clearly a small team so the players don't need to make a board rattling body check but they'd be much tougher to play against if they rubbed players out rather than dancing freely into the scoring area of the ice.

- it's going to be a long year next year. It'll be nearly impossible for Sarnia to replace Sarault, Anderson, and potentially Boucher (likely)...as well as Gally and Murphy. The Sting need some young guys to really develop over the summer or I'm afraid they may be one of the bottom feeders. It's not really a knock on anyone but it's going to be a true rebuild year. (Too bad Sean Day got exceptional status). It will be fun to see how some of the young talent performs with more ice time

- Hopin Sarnia can extend the season a little longer Wednesday night but damn, PLY is good.

- Have to give credit to Plymouth. They're a great team from top to bottom. Sarnia is just overmatched in every area (except goaltending - JP was awesome Monday night)
astute observations all of which i think everyone has noticed, but tell don't preach to the converted, talk to the coach. He is insistent on micromanaging... i have a feeling plymouth would not be the team they are with JB behind the bench....the way i see it.
Brown hits like he is 6 feet. Too bad others would not get a bit tougher.
Guelph is the perfect example of finishing the check. touch the puck, and boom.
And that's all i have to say about that.
As for Trevor being a head coach, he is the good guy on the bench... and yes people respond to positivity but he needs to toughen up himself if he expects to coach in this league...

Old
03-26-2013, 08:08 PM
massey

Quote:
Most pessimistic fan base in the entire OHL. Wow
Hmmmmm lol

Old
03-26-2013, 08:14 PM
massey

Quote:

Do you think our pp is too predictable.we skate in front of the net and instead of shooting,we pass off to the corner.frustrating.plymouth just let us pass the puck around and they don't make any mistakes which doesn't give the sting any chances.hard to be too hard them as they were 2nd in the conference on pp.also I understand Plymouth has one of the best pk in the league.lets hear some thoughts.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:37 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Hmmmmm lol
Did I criticize any one particular player? Over and over? No. I pointed out the areas the TEAM needs to improve in to have a chance at winning a game vs Plymouth.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:41 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Do you think our pp is too predictable.we skate in front of the net and instead of shooting,we pass off to the corner.frustrating.plymouth just let us pass the puck around and they don't make any mistakes which doesn't give the sting any chances.hard to be too hard them as they were 2nd in the conference on pp.also I understand Plymouth has one of the best pk in the league.lets hear some thoughts.
Ya it's hard to say. Going into game 3, Sarnia was middle of the pack in PP% (~21% I think). I'm not sure they get the PKers moving enough to create the lanes on the PP. it has become a little stagnant and predictable I guess. Overall, just too passive. The team needs to get grittier in all situations. They don't win any puck battles.Maybe it's because they're physically outmatched but it doesn't appear they are making it very tough on PLY

Old
03-26-2013, 10:08 PM
EasternOntario Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
Yes, I have seen Burgess play. I wouldn't have assumed to make a comment about a player's belonging in the league without having any background knowledge of his ability.

I do know Matteo, but I also know a number of players on the team (and other teams - as a prospects writer, it's part of my job) and like to assess each individual fairly. Matteo has a climb in order to reach what is expected of an OHL regular, but it is not his name that has him playing in the OHL when a call up is needed. If that was the case, he wouldn't have been sent to Jr. B to begin with.
Quick question if I may---I follow this thread the odd time because I am very familiar with the 96 group from the OEMHL, so I like to read about how Renaud is doing.Do you see White as being in the lineup next year as I know he signed there.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Shaun Bisson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternOntario Fan View Post
Quick question if I may---I follow this thread the odd time because I am very familiar with the 96 group from the OEMHL, so I like to read about how Renaud is doing.Do you see White as being in the lineup next year as I know he signed there.
From what I know about him, and based on the direction the team seems to be tracking for next year, I would say it is a distinct possibility he sees action with the team. He played fairly well this year with a not-so-great Gloucester team, and the Sting will be young and trying. If he comes in and has a good camp, I really don't see why he wouldn't be on the squad.

Closed Thread