HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lavoie: Expect the Calgary Flames to be most active team at the deadline

Old
03-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Stryker Island

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Lol watch feaster be a buyer
The only things he better be buying are prospects and draft picks.

Stryker Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:59 AM
achtungbaby

I'm curious, do the Flames fans WANT Feaster handling their rebuild? I seem to remember Feaster himself saying that unless the team was trying to win he was the wrong guy for the job.

achtungbaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
I'm curious, do the Flames fans WANT Feaster handling their rebuild? I seem to remember Feaster himself saying that unless the team was trying to win he was the wrong guy for the job.
I remember that too and simply do not think that he's up for the job. With that being said it is far too late to change train engines right now. The Flames are stuck with Uncle Feaster until someone in ownership wakes up and makes the change.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Stryker Island

I like Feaster, his moves have all been aggressive, his drafting has been vastly improved over anyone in the last 15 years, and he was able to move a goalie that couldn't make the team for a late pick when we all would have given him away for free.

That being said, he has gone completely off the map. There's been no comments, no interviews, no nothing, and that silence has been deafening.

He needs to pull the damn trigger so we can all finally exhale.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Goodlad

vCash: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Is Kipper even tradable right now? A lot of what's going on with the team and losses may not be his fault but he isn't stealing games the way he used to.
As long as opposing GM's aren't going solely by Kipper's stat lines ( which are admittedly terrible) I think he still has value. The vast majority of the goals being scored against Cgy this season have been tap in goals to a wide open net because someone didn't pick up their man. This is likely because the Flames have wingers playing center, which is fine in the offensive zone, but horrible in their own end. If Kipper were traded to a team with some center depth and something that remotely resembles a defensive plan I think you'll see his numbers rebound in a hurry.

Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Goodlad

vCash: 729
I should also probably say that although I think Kipper still has value, it won't be 1st + at this point.

Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:13 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 50
Quote:
I remember that too and simply do not think that he's up for the job. With that being said it is far too late to change train engines right now. The Flames are stuck with Uncle Feaster until someone in ownership wakes up and makes the change.
Don't forget John Weisbrod. Although Feaster is the GM he has John right their assisting him in getting the proper young talent you want in these trades.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Kranix

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
I seem to remember Feaster himself saying that unless the team was trying to win he was the wrong guy for the job.
Besides the Islanders, what team isn't trying to win all the time? This term "rebuild" has been twisted into meaning consciously trying to make the roster bad enough to finish last. Of course he shouldn't do that. It was dumb for Feaster to say that, but I only blame him partly, because the media and fans have changed the meaning of that word so Feaster has to use it that way. I'm annoyed when I hear the media use it because they just want to cover a sexy high draft choice storyline. It's annoying to hear fans use it as if they know what goes into running a Hockey franchise.

Kranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:23 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'm here to garantee all of you that Jay Feaster will be talking to the media about "re-tooling" or "re-loading", rather than rebuilding.

My wild ass prediction is he moves out Iginla, etc. for largely futures based packages, but immediately parlays most of it into Mike Green from Washington and a couple of other higher priced, but mildly younger veteran players.

03-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Don't forget John Weisbrod. Although Feaster is the GM he has John right their assisting him in getting the proper young talent you want in these trades.
Oh yes - How can we forget the former GM of the Orlando Magic?

Seriously, I think he's lucked out on a couple of picks but I'd wait and see how some of his other moves (Isn't he the guy who did a lot of the scouting leading up to the Janko pick last year?) pan out before giving him the advanced credit for the rebuild.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'm here to garantee all of you that Jay Feaster will be talking to the media about "re-tooling" or "re-loading", rather than rebuilding.

My wild ass prediction is he moves out Iginla, etc. for largely futures based packages, but immediately parlays most of it into Mike Green from Washington and a couple of other higher priced, but mildly younger veteran players.
You're probably right. Good second stage prediction.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:26 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
The same way you forgot his other jobs within the NHL.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Also the guy with a hand in Boston's drafting success. But we probably shouldn't mention that one, right?

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Also the guy with a hand in Boston's drafting success. But we probably shouldn't mention that one, right?
Boston has a lot of other quality people in their organization. One person does not build a team like the Bruins.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
The same way you forgot his other jobs within the NHL.
Two words - Janko pick. That's enough for me.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:06 AM
SickHandsNoShot

Quote:
Two words - Janko pick. That's enough for me.
Two more: John Gaudreau

SickHandsNoShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
The demand for some of Calgary's defensemen is very high. The demand for forwards, not so much. It seems that all of the contending teams are deep on forward but need a quality defenseman. Or in Chicago's case, maybe they should target Kiprusoff.
Kiprusoff is awful this year. Age appears to be catching him

Ray Emery is a hell of alot better of a goalie then Kipper at this point

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:33 AM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Renaud Lavoie's Blog

Quote:
Jarome Iginla file will grow in the coming days and according to the latest information, the Flames captain has submitted a list of teams he would agree to be traded.
The Bruins, Penguins, Kings and Blackhawks are courses listed by Iginla.
Maybe this was mentioned prior, I don't know. Anyways, there it is.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:36 AM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

He means he will buy during free agency. One year of tanking, as opposed to multiple.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Stryker Island

Feaster's drafting has been solid. Here are his picks and their stats from this season.

Mark Jankowski (C) (34GP, 7G, 11A, 18P) Rookie year, made the jump from high school
Patrick Sieloff (D) (45GP, 3G, 8A, 11P) Season cut short by injury
Jon Gillies (G) (35GP, 17W, 12L, 6T, .931S%, 2.08GAA) Named Hockey East Rookie of the Year and 1st Team All-Star
Brett Kulak (D) (72GP, 12G, 32A, 44P) Third in team scoring
Ryan Culkin (D) (67GP, 5G, 40A, 45P) Top points producing defenceman on his team
Coda Gordon (LW) (70GP, 17G, 32A, 59P) Second in team scoring
Matt Deblouw (C) (42GP, 10G, 11A, 21P) Third in team scoring

Sven Baertschi (LW) (27GP, 8G, 14A, 22P)
Markus Granlund (C) (50GP, 10G, 20A, 30P)
Tyler Wotherspoon (D) (61GP, 7G, 30A, 37P) +62 O.o
John Gaudreau (LW) (34GP, 20G, 30A, 50P) Already named a Finalist for the Hobey Baker this season
Laurent Brossoit (G) (49GP, 33W, 8L, 6T, .917S%, 2.25GAA)

These are decent picks for a team that hasn't had the opportunity to draft in the top 10 for about 15 years. I'm confident they would draft well if they have a top 5 selection this year.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Rick16

Watch Feaster trade Backlund for Jagr!!!

Rick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickHandsNoShot View Post
Two more: John Gaudreau
Gaudreau and Gillies (Another prospect Flames fans point to when praising Weisbrod) were prospects who were highly regarded (As I remember the lead ups to both drafts) and should have been on everybody's draft list in their respective years. Drafting both of them was an act of competence and not an act of genius. There is a difference.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:55 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
Gaudreau and Gillies (Another prospect Flames fans point to when praising Weisbrod) were prospects who were highly regarded (As I remember the lead ups to both drafts) and should have been on everybody's draft list in their respective years. Drafting both of them was an act of competence and not an act of genius. There is a difference.
It was an act of competence for every other team in the league to leave the highly regarded John Gaudreau till the fourth round of the draft?

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:56 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightDuck View Post
Besides the Islanders, what team isn't trying to win all the time? This term "rebuild" has been twisted into meaning consciously trying to make the roster bad enough to finish last. Of course he shouldn't do that. It was dumb for Feaster to say that, but I only blame him partly, because the media and fans have changed the meaning of that word so Feaster has to use it that way. I'm annoyed when I hear the media use it because they just want to cover a sexy high draft choice storyline. It's annoying to hear fans use it as if they know what goes into running a Hockey franchise.
This isn't about a GM actively trying to make his team bad. It's about reading the tea leaves from season to season and getting what you can for diminishing assets while getting the youngsters feet wet to evaluate what you have if it looks like the winds of change are blowing your way.

Also, you're annoyed by people for talking about rebuilds because you don't believe they know what goes into running a hockey franchise but it's okay for you to criticize their opinions while having no experience in doing so yourself? That doesn't seem right.

achtungbaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick16 View Post
Watch Feaster trade Backlund for Jagr!!!
Even I don't think he'd do that. If he does trade Backlund it would probably be for a couple of marginal young players who help with the win now philosophy.