Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelli27 View Post
It looks as though Mahalak will be watching this series from the bench. Has Ned assumed the starting spot or can we expect a rotation?
Ned has been starting almost all the games since early February, so I would expect that to continue. We may see Mahalak for one game in this series, but I think Ned will be the full-time starter from the second round onward. He is clearly the better goaltender.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:44 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
Year after year, it baffles me that it is not a sell out every game in Plymouth. $12 a ticket and just over half full. WHAT A JOKE. Best team in the league year after year and you can't even come close to a sell out. It would be scary the energy Plymouth would have if they had a full crowd every night.
I can't tell you how painful it is to see that year after year. The upside to all of this is every year the attendance jumps drastically each round we win. Provided we win this series, you can expect it to be 80-85% or more to start next series and gets better with each win. When word gets out about last night, (hopefully all good Whaler fans have been talking it up today) you can expect bigger crowds. I expect it to be bigger tonight. We are a small market team and you would think that we would have better crowds, but there is always something going on locally in sports and entertainment not to mention spring sports have started practices. Our overall yearly attendance is better than some other OHL teams, so we ain't chopped liver, but we don't pack them in like the Knights either. If we don't do better tonight, I am going to buy 500 blow up dolls and put them in the seats to make it look better for TV.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
If we don't do better tonight, I am going to buy 500 blow up dolls and put them in the seats to make it look better for TV.
Now, THAT I'd like to see.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:45 PM
massey

Quote:
I can't tell you how painful it is to see that year after year. The upside to all of this is every year the attendance jumps drastically each round we win. Provided we win this series, you can expect it to be 80-85% or more to start next series and gets better with each win. When word gets out about last night, (hopefully all good Whaler fans have been talking it up today) you can expect bigger crowds. I expect it to be bigger tonight. We are a small market team and you would think that we would have better crowds, but there is always something going on locally in sports and entertainment not to mention spring sports have started practices. Our overall yearly attendance is better than some other OHL teams, so we ain't chopped liver, but we don't pack them in like the Knights either. If we don't do better tonight, I am going to buy 500 blow up dolls and put them in the seats to make it look better for TV.
Rumour has it you have 250 dolls at home already.LOL.Yes sad to see for sure.Most OHL fans would die for a great team like yours

Old
03-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I do not like to complain about officiating, but that had to be the most one-sided game I have seen called in a long time. It felt like the Whalers had to beat 8 people on the ice... not six. I am hoarse from yelling at official #20. Whenever the play was at even strength, Plymouth controlled the play, winning the battles in the corners and getting to almost every loose puck. They deserved to come away with the win tonight -- a loss would have been an injustice.

Old
03-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
What are they competing with in March......NFL,MLB are idle and the Wings regional .
Gotta remember there are the wings, and the Michigan Wolverines are in the NCAA Hockey tournament, the NCAA March Madness Basketball both Michigan teams are in it, The Detroit Tigers will be starting before the 2nd round of the OHL Playoffs begin....not like london/kitchener where the only sport in town is the local hockey team.

Old
03-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
I do not like to complain about officiating, but that had to be the most one-sided game I have seen called in a long time. It felt like the Whalers had to beat 8 people on the ice... not six. I am hoarse from yelling at official #20. Whenever the play was at even strength, Plymouth controlled the play, winning the battles in the corners and getting to almost every loose puck. They deserved to come away with the win tonight -- a loss would have been an injustice.
One call I really disliked was Wilson's penalty for slashing, when the stick fell out of the players hand. I hate that penalty, hold on to the stick. Nice to see a win, by the way how many games is Mistele suspended?

Old
03-23-2013, 09:04 PM
shotandagoal

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. Also, you have to wonder if it was the Sting's strategy to dive and flop It really did look like they knew they couldn't compete 5 on 5, and had to find ways to draw penalties. If the referees are going to continue to call penalties on that stuff you might as well keep doing it

Old
03-23-2013, 10:18 PM
mapleleaf979

Alex Nedeljkovic looks like a star. Its hard to believe he is a 96 born. Im amazed.

Old
03-24-2013, 06:23 AM
WhalerBlue

The Whalers were informed at 5:00 pm Saturday that Mistele was suspended indefinitely. The Whalers were effected by this decision. They were apprehensive about hitting out of fear. Sarnia played right into that role by taking several dives in the first. This was a difficult game to win as the Whalers never could get anything going. This was due to the fact that the officials called a terrible game that disrupted the flow. I have never seen so many double minors called in a single game. This game will be reviewed Monday for several reasons. Two big time slashes from Basso and DeAngelo. I expect one or possibly both to be suspended. We nearly got a bench minor a couple of times as Vellucci was really upset with the officials. To that end, Sarnia nearly got a couple themselves as their staff was equally as upset. This was a terrible game to watch. Enough diving, enough slashing, enough bad officiating.....Lets just play a game of hockey and see where it takes this series. Sarnia played a better game, but it was difficult to gauge it as they suffered from the same disruption of flow caused by the officiating. I would like to point out a mistake by Head Coach Jacques Beaulieu-with 42.4 seconds left in the 3rd, with the face off deep in the Whalers zone, JP was 15 feet out of his crease looking at the bench asking to come out for an extra attacker. Nobody from that coaching staff even looked at him. They were too concerned with having the right guys out on the ice to pay attention to having an extra attacker. No time out, no extra attacker. JP finally made it to the bench, but with only a few seconds remaining. Ouch! This is the kind of boo-boo that can get you fired. I was amazed that a Sarnia fan handed out some bumper stickers that asked for Jacques to be fired. I guess he is not too popular in Sarnia these days. I can see why, if he does things like this with any frequency. Also heard something crazy, hopefully someone can confirm or deny this. Jacques told a member of the local Sarnia media that JP played bad in game 1. If he said that, then he needs to be fired. He definitely is not looking at the same game as others. Not only did JP play good in game 1 (11 goals against with nobody helping defensively-I thought he was pretty good considering that) but I thought he played good in game 2 as well.

Last edited by WhalerBlue: 03-24-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
The Whalers were informed at 5:00 pm Saturday that Mistele was suspended indefinitely. The Whalers were effected by this decision. They were apprehensive about hitting out of fear. Sarnia played right into that role by taking several dives in the first. This was a difficult game to win as the Whalers never could get anything going. This was due to the fact that the officials called a terrible game that disrupted the flow. I have never seen so many double minors called in a single game. This game will be reviewed Monday for several reasons. Two big time slashes from Basso and DeAngelo. I expect one or possibly both to be suspended. We nearly got a bench minor a couple of times as Vellucci was really upset with the officials. To that end, Sarnia nearly got a couple themselves as their staff was equally as upset. This was a terrible game to watch. Enough diving, enough slashing, enough bad officiating.....Lets just play a game of hockey and see where it takes this series. Sarnia played a better game, but it was difficult to gauge it as they suffered from the same disruption of flow caused by the officiating. I would like to point out a mistake by Head Coach Jacques Beaulieu-with 42.4 seconds left in the 3rd, with the face off deep in the Whalers zone, JP was 15 feet out of his crease looking at the bench asking to come out for an extra attacker. Nobody from that coaching staff even looked at him. They were too concerned with having the right guys out on the ice to pay attention to having an extra attacker. No time out, no extra attacker. JP finally made it to the bench, but with only a few seconds remaining. Ouch! This is the kind of boo-boo that can get you fired. I was amazed that a Sarnia fan handed out some bumper stickers that asked for Jacques to be fired. I guess he is not too popular in Sarnia these days. I can see why, if he does things like this with any frequency. Also heard something crazy, hopefully someone can confirm or deny this. Jacques told a member of the local Sarnia media that JP played bad in game 1. If he said that, then he needs to be fired. He definitely is not looking at the same game as others. Not only did JP play good in game 1 (11 goals against with nobody helping defensively-I thought he was pretty good considering that) but I thought he played good in game 2 as well.
The dives were pretty blatant. I thought the calls in the third period were even worse, though, as several ticky-tack calls went against Plymouth while a few blatant holds by Sarnia were completely ignored by the officials. The one-sided nature of the officiating was obvious, and was the only reason the Sting kept the game close.

As for possible Sarnia suspensions, I wouldn't count on anything. Plymouth has been getting the short end of the stick on these decisions all season. Noesen and Wilson were hit with relatively heavy suspensions for their infractions, while Posa received only a few games for deliberately trying to take Heard's head off away from the play, and Hottot received nothing for one of the most out of control performances I have ever seen in the OHL, which included three separate incidents of intentionally trying to hurt an opponent that should have been reviewed.

I fully expect we will come out on the short end in any suspensions in this series, too.

As for Sarnia not pulling their goalie earlier, I guess their head coach is really reluctant to do so -- after all, he left JP in for all 11 goals on Friday night.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:29 AM
WhalerBlue

Confirmed news: Basso to have review on Match penalty-suspension likely to be 2 games.
Confirmed news: Jacques Bealieu states in Sarnia Observer that JP Anderson "did not have one of his best games" in game 1. 50 shots on net, 39 saves and another 70 shots that missed the net by less than 6 inches. I agree. JP was so bad he was the best player on the ice for the Sting in game one with no help from his defense.
Confirmed news: Attendance was up significantly over game 1. I cancelled the order for the 500 blow up dolls to put in the seats.

Last edited by WhalerBlue: 03-24-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 09:22 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Confirmed news: Basso to have review on Match penalty-suspension likely to be 2 games.
Confirmed news: Jacques Bealieu states in Sarnia Observer that JP Anderson "did not have one of his best games" in game 1. 50 shots on net, 39 saves and another 70 shots that missed the net by less than 6 inches. I agree. JP was so bad he was the best player on the ice for the Sting in game one with no help from his defense.
Confirmed news: Attendance was up significantly over game 1. I cancelled the order for the 500 blow up dolls to put in the seats.
Not so fast. Announced attendance was under 2,900. I think we could still use a few of those dolls.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:14 AM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Not so fast. Announced attendance was under 2,900. I think we could still use a few of those dolls.
How many you thinking? After I get the dolls then I got to go to the clothes bins for charity at the gas stations locally to find something to dress them with. It is a big job, ya know!

Old
03-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
How many you thinking? After I get the dolls then I got to go to the clothes bins for charity at the gas stations locally to find something to dress them with. It is a big job, ya know!
Well, it would be nice to get the attendance over 3,000.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:23 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
I find it funny if the Whalers coaching staff didn't know Mistele was being suspended Friday night. It was obvious that he was being suspended to anyone that saw the hit. It was a deliberate head shot. Should have been a 5 min major. He will get 4 or 5 games cause it is playoffs. Would have been 10 in reg season.

Also, JP did have a bad game Friday night. 4 of the 5 goals in the 1st were really weak goals. One was from behind the goal line. That quality of goal tending will never win you a game. Wasn't at the game last night but from what I heard he did play better.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

BTW, even the Whalers official website took several pot shots at last night's officiating in their article recapping the game. That is a very rare occurrence.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Cfriss216

Awesome game going on in London right now. Saginaw up 2 - 0 after two periods. Looks like Saginaw showed up today, playing with a lot of jump. Saginaw had two breakaway chances shorthanded late in the 2nd and couldn't capitalize. This game so far is more indicatative of the series we thought it could be. Ref did make a bad call on the delay of game that London took late in the 2nd though

Old
03-24-2013, 04:06 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
I find it funny if the Whalers coaching staff didn't know Mistele was being suspended Friday night. It was obvious that he was being suspended to anyone that saw the hit. It was a deliberate head shot. Should have been a 5 min major. He will get 4 or 5 games cause it is playoffs. Would have been 10 in reg season.

Also, JP did have a bad game Friday night. 4 of the 5 goals in the 1st were really weak goals. One was from behind the goal line. That quality of goal tending will never win you a game. Wasn't at the game last night but from what I heard he did play better.
Thanks for your observations. The Whalers bombarded JP. Overall he played pretty good. Wilson' shot wasn't behind the goal line as far as we could tell. It you want to say he played terrible so be it, the Whalers outworked Sarnia and gave him no help whatsoever. We might as well agree to disagree on a deliberate headshot. I ain't going there. BTW, what section did you sit in?

Old
03-24-2013, 04:08 PM
CBJWhaler

Did we even play Payne, Vanderwiel, and Whaley last night?

Old
03-24-2013, 04:10 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWhaler View Post
I never saw Payne or Vanderwiel. My wife asked the same thing in the 2nd period. I saw Whaley. All three were not scratches.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWhaler View Post
I saw Whaley and Payne (just a little for Cody), but did not notice Vanderweil on the ice at all. I had assumed he was a scratch, as I didn't hear the announcements before the game.. we were chatting in our section at that time. I only checked the board in the press box for the starting goalie, assuming we were going with the same lineup as Friday. I did not know about the Mistele suspension at that time.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:32 PM
WhalerBlue

Roll Call for Whalers Game at CJ's Monday 7:00 PM, March 25 2013

WhalerBlue (with 4 or 5 season ticket holders)-Who's next?

Old
03-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Roll Call for Whalers Game at CJ's Monday 7:00 PM, March 25 2013

WhalerBlue (with 4 or 5 season ticket holders)-Who's next?
Not sure. My wife and I are considering it -- just depends on how work goes on Monday. If not, I'll be listening on the radio stream.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:34 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Thanks for your observations. The Whalers bombarded JP. Overall he played pretty good. Wilson' shot wasn't behind the goal line as far as we could tell. It you want to say he played terrible so be it, the Whalers outworked Sarnia and gave him no help whatsoever. We might as well agree to disagree on a deliberate headshot. I ain't going there. BTW, what section did you sit in?
Standing up by the Zamboni. And yes, the goal I was referring too was at the other end of the ice, however fellow Sarnia fans were sitting at that end of the ice for the 1st period before joining us. If it was behind the goal line or not, it was still a really weak goal. And I agree, Plymouth completely outplayed Sarnia, but that being said, IMO if JP didn't let in any weak goals in the 1st, it might have been a different game.

Should be an interesting game tonight. Wish I could be sitting in CJ's to watch the game enjoying some great beer and pizza.

Closed Thread