HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ralph Krueger

Old
03-22-2013, 02:47 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
I am not happy with some of Ralphs decisions including last nights game.

That said its pretty tough to ice forward combos in a game with only 2 centres at your disposal. I knew the moment Nuge was scratched it was likely going to be a loss. This team doesn't have the depth to overcome the loss of a centre. I think thats part of the reason this team struggled so mightily without Horcoff.

As I go over this roster I have to wonder why Management would think that a rookie coach is the way to go. No depth and a lack of quality at Centre and no true top pairing dman. The 2 most important items and the Oilers have absolutely no depth at all.
Simply not good enough and Ralph is not to blame for that.

Now having said all that I have to admit that the Wreck It Ralph stuff is pretty funny.

Last edited by guymez: 03-22-2013 at 02:53 AM.
guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:17 AM
#ualberta

vCash: 500
I've been saying it for a while now, way back when most would have disagreed with me, but fact is ralph Krueger is not the right coach for this team
i think most would agree

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
I've been saying it for a while now, way back when most would have disagreed with me, but fact is ralph Krueger is not the right coach for this team
i think most would agree
Really... we've given this guy 29 games into a shortened season with fewer practices to work with the team than any other season, and somehow everyone is able to determine that Ralph is the major problem?

Despite that the Oilers are challenging for a playoff spot for the first time in six years...

Despite that the Oilers have no depth at centre...

Despite that the Oilers have no quality in the top four defenders...

Despite that the Oilers have introduced a rookie forward into the top six every year for the past three years...

But its all Ralphs fault after 29 games?

Hilarious.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:37 PM
dnicks17

We're just as much challenging for 15th in the West as we are the play-offs.

I admire some people's optimism, but I'm getting tired of hearing us "being in the play-off race" used as some great accomplishment.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
We're just as much challenging for 15th in the West as we are the play-offs.

I admire some people's optimism, but I'm getting tired of hearing us "being in the play-off race" used as some great accomplishment.
That's fair, I'm not suggesting that the Oilers have had a tremendously positive season.

But wouldn't you agree that 29 games is a bit early? Especially in a season with fewer practice opportunities?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
That's fair, I'm not suggesting that the Oilers have had a tremendously positive season.

But wouldn't you agree that 29 games is a bit early? Especially in a season with fewer practice opportunities?
Not really.

Krueger's bench management has been near amateurish and he's shown no sign of learning from his mistakes.

He looks very little like an NHL coach and looks even less like a coach who fits this team's make-up.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post

All the other teams have the same amount of practice time. Just because the Head Coaches name changed the gameplan hasn't changed that much. Oilers were the only team that had their top line play together during the lockout as well. This team is underachieving and should be in a playoff position this year. They have start winning games in regulation. Same amount of points in same amount of games (some think this .500) is not going to get you in the playoffs in today's NHL.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Not really.

Krueger's bench management has been near amateurish and he's shown no sign of learning from his mistakes.

He looks very little like an NHL coach and looks even less like a coach who fits this team's make-up.
The importance of coaching is vastly overrated here. IMO it comes down to the roster. Too many kids being asked to carry the weight, not enough help. The fact that the Oilers have been playing without a full complement of NHL centres for months speaks volumes about where the issues lie.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:12 PM
oiLowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
The importance of coaching is vastly overrated here. IMO it comes down to the roster. Too many kids being asked to carry the weight, not enough help. The fact that the Oilers have been playing without a full complement of NHL centres for months speaks volumes about where the issues lie.
I agree. It's convenient to blame the coach in this situation. The oilers simply aren't good enough yet.

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:33 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Sure, Tambo is the culprit behind one of the worst 4th lines in the league, but it's Krueger who takes said 4th line and injects them into the top6/9 in critical moments of games and ending up with disastrous results.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Koto

Quote:
Sure, Tambo is the culprit behind one of the worst 4th lines in the league, but it's Krueger who takes said 4th line and injects them into the top6/9 in critical moments of games and ending up with disastrous results.
how do people not get this?

yes we know the oilers arent juggernauts.

yes we know tambo has left many holes in the roster.

but that doesn't mean krueger is making the best of the situation. using petrell more to close games out makes no sense at all.

that single decision is indefensible and has already cost the oilers multiple points in the standings.

but the awesome part, is that he still hasn't learned how ****ing stupid it is, and will continue doing it for the forseeable future.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
If we're dishing out blame, I'd go 65-35 between Tambo and Krueger.

For all the faults Tambo has (and by god he has many), he has assembled a nice nucleus of young talented forwards which should mean we have little problem scoring. Now we're not balanced, so I'm not asking Penguins level scoring, but sitting 30th in ES scoring 29 games in is inexcusable. Especially when ****ing Florida and Nashville has 10+ ES GF than us with half the talent on the roster.

I know this is a shortened season with less practice, but some of our key forwards are really under performing and it's a little worrying. But some decisions, such as continually having our 4th line against the teams top-6 is a little worrying.

The team has 'clicked' since halfway through the road trip, but there are a few key coaching errors which continually hurt us.

03-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Not sure if it's been posted but the Detroit board is discussing Babcock's future in Detroit..

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5#post62190155

You fire Krueger in an instant if Babcock is available..

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:10 PM
dnicks17

You promote Krueger*

Old
03-24-2013, 08:45 AM
JMecc
#FireLowe

Guy Boucher is available now. What do you think about him as a coach?

JMecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:27 AM
SchultzSquared

It is shameful a guy who coached his team to the playoffs- the Conference Finals no less- is let go after a 13-17 start but for Krueger it is business as usual and has been even as a part of last year's debacle...

SchultzSquared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Tommy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMecc View Post
Guy Boucher is available now. What do you think about him as a coach?
Why would we consider Boucher, when Ruff is available. Anyways looks like Yzerman has Ruff on the top of his list, tooo bad for us

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:53 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
Why would we consider Boucher, when Ruff is available. Anyways looks like Yzerman has Ruff on the top of his list, tooo bad for us
Well we've only had weeks to replace Ralph with Ruff. Tambo needs years to make that kind of decision.

Yes Tambo is at fault for icing a hole laden lineup where almost all the vets are not NHL quality. But it's Krueger that is deciding what to do with those players. His bench management when leading or tied after 2 is unbelievably bad. If we had real reporters in this city they would call him out for constantly promoting Smyth, Jones and Petrell into top 6 roles when the chips are down. But they are too comfortable with their sweet jobs and team access to rock the boat.

I am sure Ralph is a nice guy, but he is in way over his head. I was pleased after what we saw in the first week, when he was playing the kids in crucial moments. But that all stopped after Yakupov's goal celebration. Since then Ralph has consistently leaned on the worst vets in the league to try to grind out wins. And even though the results have been disastrous, he seems content to stick with his plan.

In a perfect world Katz makes a complete management purge(perhaps Stu can stay), but he too is happy enough to just get to hang out with Lowe and MacT. Unfortunately it looks like we're going to be in an Islanders/Thrashers situation for a while.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:12 AM
dnicks17

Well, I'm sure Tampa will promote Jon Cooper from their AHL squad.

There goes our shot at nabbing one of the most promising looking young coaches out there.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Psychoil

Good for Steve Yzerman, their gonna grab lindy ruff and watch the lightning take off.

While we still keep Wreck it Ralph

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
hopefully TB takes off and we can have their lottery spot.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:41 AM
oilphan

How good would it to hear this coming from Lowe:

Tambo and Ralph have poured their heart and soul into the Oilers organization for these past several years and we appreciate all the work they have done. But ultimately I am not satisfied with the direction we are heading and I believe making a change today is in the best interest of our franchise.

Replace Tambo/Ralph with Guy and Oilers with Tamba Bay, and you have Yzerman's quote from today.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
I now realize...
Renney is far superior to Kreuger. At least we were a high scoring team that had one of the best PP's in the league. Now what category can we be proud about? Nothing. Can't score, can't defend, mediocre goaltending, atrocious faceoff percentage, etc

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Agron
BELIEVE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
How good would it to hear this coming from Lowe:

Tambo and Ralph have poured their heart and soul into the Oilers organization for these past several years and we appreciate all the work they have done. But ultimately I am not satisfied with the direction we are heading and I believe making a change today is in the best interest of our franchise.

Replace Tambo/Ralph with Guy and Oilers with Tamba Bay, and you have Yzerman's quote from today.
if only. but instead we'll be hearing:

"We feel as if the team is going in the right direction and as if Ralph is properly developing the kids to be more defensively responsible. We are looking to improve our team next year through another top 5 pick in this years draft. We like our team now and feel as if we dont need to change anything. We have all the pieces. Extensions for everyone btw."

Yours truly,
Steve

Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
sitting on your hands, dithering time away and not adding qualified NHL players to obvious holes in the lineup is not what I would call pouring your heart and soul into the team.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote