HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

April 3rd Deadline Approaching

Old
03-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Did I say Poile should, or even might, go after Jagr if he is indeed on the market? N ..... O However, if he does hit the market as a rental, somebody would pick him up ... which by your definition makes that GM an "idiot".
Technically pred33's definition.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:19 AM
klt2001

vCash: 500
All I will say is Mike is the second leading scorer on the Preds team right now w/ 9 goals. Bourque leads the team w/ 10. Not saying Mike is the best forward ever or even a 1st line forward but imo he adds to the team and at least helps out where he can. He was also the second leading scorer on the Preds team last year too w/ 24 goals while Hornqvist was the 1st w/ 27 goals.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

http://predators.nhl.com/club/stats.htm?season=20112012

I would be okay w/ his role diminished and finding a true first liner but I still like to have Fish stay even if it was on the second or third line. Imo there are other players that are and/or have played worse than him that I rather see go before I would trade him.

Last edited by klt2001: 03-24-2013 at 12:39 AM.
klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:20 AM
Predsrule

We will be making a push for the playoffs if nothing else then because at worse 2 home games in the playoffs.. All the money paid to weber means they will at least make the push to get the money from it.

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:45 AM
hoosierpred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
I think it's time for a reasonably big sale. I'm a pretty patient person; we don't need a full rebuild, but our offense has systemic issues that cannot be fixed with a piece or two. Gill / SK / Legwand / Hannan at the least should be moved at the deadline. Gaustad is another option; faceoff wins are more highly valued in the playoffs. Blum is a piece that will have to be moved for anything of significant value. Do not move Erat; one off year and moving him would be a terrible mistake. He has been the most consistent forward on the Preds over the last several years.

I highly advise against trading for a Gaborik type player. Our best forwards are all relatively young; acquire more young talent and build a sustainable pipeline that does not require us to offload a key piece like Bourque or Hornqvist.

Take young talent or draft picks then deal with ~2 years of mediocrity before coming back as a new team. It sucks, but it really has to be done. We should be able to retain Josi / Ellis / Ekholm into said new era and we have Kleiner / Weber / Rinne locked up. It's not a terrible position, you just need to commit to it and realize a Cup win is not in the near-term.
I completely agree with every one of these points. I do not agree with those that say that anyone can get hot and win it all in the playoffs. The teams that do that are usually underachievers compared to their talent during the year. That's is not where we are.

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:02 AM
hoosierpred

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I really don't have the answers for our team. We talk about the need for better centers and how Legwand and Fisher both suck, yet both finished in the top 30 of scoring for centers last season.

I think it's the wingers that are our true offense downfall.

Erat was actually 21st for right wingers.

Hornqvist was 40th.

Kostitsyn was ranked 40th for left wingers.

Bourque was next at 78th.
I both agree and disagree.

When you play a system that is highly dependent on point shots and net crashing vs. working the cycle, passing and skill, the center is going to be in position to pick up a lot of garbage goals and the system with inflate your goal numbers at the center position. Leggy pads his stats by picking up the garbage (like the plumb he was left last night that any 4th liner would have scored) and by empty netters. I maintain that he is still the death of all offensive creativity and his forwards pay dearly for it. Just watch the game and count the number of times an offensive mistake (lost board battle (80% of the time is no exaggeration), imprecise pass, low quality shot, dumping low at the wrong time in the cycle) lead to lost possession. Note the goal by Beck last night. That is a goal that Legwand virtually never scores (it would have been right in the goalies chest). Fisher is a little better and has some skill so i would be ok with keeping him. I agree with you that we need a serious upgrade at forward. I don't think we can upgrade enough in the near future to have any chance at all at a cup. So I am for trading to get as many pieces for the future as possible. 2 that I have my eyes on if we end up with a high pick are Anthony Mantha and Adam Erne. I don't want to risk drafting a russian.

Last edited by hoosierpred: 03-24-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 08:09 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I want to make the playoffs. I do not want this organization to give up another first round pick. It would also be nice to see Hannan and SK moved.

03-24-2013, 08:58 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I want to make the playoffs. I do not want this organization to give up another first round pick. It would also be nice to see Hannan and SK moved.
I could care less about SK but Hannan, I would like to see moved. Other than that, I think it's a hold fast deadline.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierpred View Post
I both agree and disagree.

When you play a system that is highly dependent on point shots and net crashing vs. working the cycle, passing and skill, the center is going to be in position to pick up a lot of garbage goals and the system with inflate your goal numbers at the center position. Leggy pads his stats by picking up the garbage (like the plumb he was left last night that any 4th liner would have scored) and by empty netters. I maintain that he is still the death of all offensive creativity and his forwards pay dearly for it. Just watch the game and count the number of times an offensive mistake (lost board battle (80% of the time is no exaggeration), imprecise pass, low quality shot, dumping low at the wrong time in the cycle) lead to lost possession. Note the goal by Beck last night. That is a goal that Legwand virtually never scores (it would have been right in the goalies chest). Fisher is a little better and has some skill so i would be ok with keeping him. I agree with you that we need a serious upgrade at forward. I don't think we can upgrade enough in the near future to have any chance at all at a cup. So I am for trading to get as many pieces for the future as possible. 2 that I have my eyes on if we end up with a high pick are Anthony Mantha and Adam Erne. I don't want to risk drafting a russian.
Lets not be prejudiced here.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:32 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

If it's playoffs then I want a package of Sk and Gill for an upgrade at forward.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:38 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
If it's playoffs then I want a package of Sk and Gill for an upgrade at forward.
There is a better chance of Hannan than Gill in a package like that. Bartley gives us that second pairing d-man the team has needed and Gill fills that PK role better.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:19 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
There is a better chance of Hannan than Gill in a package like that. Bartley gives us that second pairing d-man the team has needed and Gill fills that PK role better.
Maybe, Hannan, Blum, and Gill to me look like they have big targets on them.

Stats wise Nashville's offense is rising from the bottom; up from 30 to 22. Defense could use some tightening too, only 11th which is not up to Nashville's standards.

Now you can say the PK is in the toilet because of Gill's injury. So we shall see.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
agreed ... I want a Russian as long as he's being trained by the great Igor Larionov

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Agreed. I hate to lose and I'd like to see us be successful while still holding on to our 1st this year.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Agreed. I hate to lose and I'd like to see us be successful while still holding on to our 1st this year.
Yep with you on that.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:00 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
I completely agree with every one of these points. I do not agree with those that say that anyone can get hot and win it all in the playoffs. The teams that do that are usually underachievers compared to their talent during the year. That's is not where we are.
compared to last year, yes, we are severely under achieving. And it isnt ALL on Suter's depart, we are essentially the exact same team.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:03 PM
hoosierpred

Quote:
This is not prejudice, it is just an understanding that Russians have a natural and understandable attraction for their own country and that choosing one is a higher risk based on them choosing to play in the KHL. If there were guarantees that they would play for us, I would be all for taking them. Frankly, the Russians are doing some things better with regard to skill development vs. what the North Americans are doing.

Old
03-24-2013, 06:10 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Need is still greatest in top 4 D. Trotz said as much on NHL Live on Friday.

Bartley has been a decent band aid, but isn't the long term solution,

With Beck/Butler both playing well and Hornqvist/Wilson/Gaustad all coming back, forward looks okay for now, unless a clear upgrade comes along.

I am predicting Craig Smith is being dangled for help on the backend.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:19 PM
hoosierpred

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
compared to last year, yes, we are severely under achieving. And it isnt ALL on Suter's depart, we are essentially the exact same team.

The key point is not "underachieving" but rather "underachieving compared to our talent".

Talent wise, last year I thought we were a lower level playoff team that overachieved to get to where we were. This year, I think the loss of Suter and the continued aging of veterans puts us just out of the playoffs talent wise, but still with a shot of making it if our youngsters continue to mature and we can get some hurt players back.

Even though I was for trading Suter when we had the chance, I do not nor have i ever denied what he brought to the table. His skill set was in avoiding the forecheck with nifty moves, lugging the puck, and great first passes. We are a much more "forecheckable" team with him gone, and that reflects in our play. I just didn't think we had a great chance even with him because we have insufficient game breaking forwards.

Old
03-24-2013, 06:22 PM
hoosierpred

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Need is still greatest in top 4 D. Trotz said as much on NHL Live on Friday.

Bartley has been a decent band aid, but isn't the long term solution,

With Beck/Butler both playing well and Hornqvist/Wilson/Gaustad all coming back, forward looks okay for now, unless a clear upgrade comes along.

I am predicting Craig Smith is being dangled for help on the backend.
If this is true, I'm going to be tremendously unhappy unless the defensemen is an absolute shutdown beast.

Old
03-24-2013, 06:27 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
If this is true, I'm going to be tremendously unhappy unless the defensemen is an absolute shutdown beast.
Smith has been a streaky floater for a calendar year. I just don't see it happening for him under Trotz, especially since Butler/Beck/Mueller, he'll, even Clune, have outplayed him to this point.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:30 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
It isn't a prejudice to not want to risk a draft pick on a player who may pull a Radulov. Of course, if the potential pay off is high enough I don't care where he is from.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:35 PM
hoosierpred

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Smith has been a streaky floater for a calendar year. I just don't see it happening for him under Trotz, especially since Butler/Beck/Mueller, he'll, even Clune, have outplayed him to this point.
Streaky, yes, but floater? That hadn't been my impression. I will watch him more carefully if / when he comes back, but he just struck me as the type of player that was trying to do too much too soon and needs to be paired with different forwards for things to click.

Old
03-24-2013, 06:51 PM
hoosierpred

how does one delete duplicates?

Old
03-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It isn't a prejudice to not want to risk a draft pick on a player who may pull a Radulov. Of course, if the potential pay off is high enough I don't care where he is from.
On the contrary, what you are doing is taking a characteristic from one person and projecting it on all the people from that particular area. That is the basic definition of a stereotype.

People keep forgetting that a factor in Radulov's flight was Arnott and the old guard not making Radulov not feel welcome on the team (not helped by the Arnott concussion incident). Being young and impressionable, I would guess that this probably had more than a little effect on Radulov.

As we saw from the Justin Schultz fiasco in Anaheim, flight risks can be any player of any nationality. Even a good old Canadian boy...

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:08 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
On the contrary, what you are doing is taking a characteristic from one person and projecting it on all the people from that particular area. That is the basic definition of a stereotype.

People keep forgetting that a factor in Radulov's flight was Arnott and the old guard not making Radulov not feel welcome on the team (not helped by the Arnott concussion incident). Being young and impressionable, I would guess that this probably had more than a little effect on Radulov.

As we saw from the Justin Schultz fiasco in Anaheim, flight risks can be any player of any nationality. Even a good old Canadian boy...
While Arnott and the old guard played into Radulov, Rads was a head case long before he got to Nashville. There were reports of attitude issues long before he was drafted. We took a risk and got burned. Unfortunately, some kids have attitudes because they've always been the big fish in the little pond. He was a selfish little brat and while I was happy to see him back last year, I'm not upset that he's gone now.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote