HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-0 ...Game Over

Old
03-24-2013, 11:28 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
The only thing less surprising than this loss is the fact the blues play in calgary today. What a joke of a schedule

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:31 AM
tempest2i
Feral

vCash: 500
Just checking in to see if anyone got fired after what happened last night.

Nope?

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Hitchslap

vCash: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
The only thing less surprising than this loss is the fact the blues play in calgary today. What a joke of a schedule
You're right, but who cares... They coulda been in CGY last night and we still would have been spanked.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Well. that was expected.

The one positive was the 5 minute stretch where they started hitting. It actually put the Blues are their heels for a bit. Then they just stopped doing it. Very strange.
that was insane, I comepletely agree. It happened in the latter half of the third right? You could kind of tell there was this intensity the oilers were building and their started to look very determined, and then all of a sudden it just died flat out.

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
At least we got on HNIC....

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
You might want to consider the frustration within fanbase that causes some fans to be frustrated about other fans wanting this org to engage in a full on suck for years and that they would then somehow magically pull our of that.

What happened last night, and is happening again this season, was forecast by many posters here. That steering a train off the tracks on purpose is rarely a good path to pursue.

Not sure if thats what you're talking about or more specifically the posters that knew we would lose yet again against the blues.
Who wants that?? No one I know.

I thought you actually had the best assessment of the game tonight, and from the stands, it's exactly what I saw.

The Blues choke the opposition transition game as the foundation of their system. As the Oilers rely on the transition game to generate offense, the Blues truly are one of the worst match ups the Oilers face.

This team is not the worst team in the league, period. It's developing, and unless one thinks no Oiler player will ever develop again (noticing an extreme lack of a great many "experts" eating crow on MPS), there are going to be games like this as this development takes place.

The posters who need to claim how right they are and how the rest of us don't get it, or even more hilariously, are too blind to see it set themselves up to have the same type of response thrust upon them. A little objectivity on both sides would go a long way on this forum, but honestly, I gave up on that ideal years ago.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:59 AM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Who wants that?? No one I know.

I thought you actually had the best assessment of the game tonight, and from the stands, it's exactly what I saw.

The Blues choke the opposition transition game as the foundation of their system. As the Oilers rely on the transition game to generate offense, the Blues truly are one of the worst match ups the Oilers face.

This team is not the worst team in the league, period. It's developing, and unless one thinks no Oiler player will ever develop again (noticing an extreme lack of a great many "experts" eating crow on MPS), there are going to be games like this as this development takes place.

The posters who need to claim how right they are and how the rest of us don't get it, or even more hilariously, are too blind to see it set themselves up to have the same type of response thrust upon them. A little objectivity on both sides would go a long way on this forum, but honestly, I gave up on that ideal years ago.
We are five points out of last place. Five.

That's after 30th, 30th and 29th place finishes.

What 'developing' are you talking about, exactly?

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
We just witnessed the difference between a playoff team and a non playoff team.

Shouldn't be any big surprises there guys.
Truth, but it doesn't soften the blow and is still disheartening. I mean for once, just once, can't we see this ****ing team put all the **** is suffers from, all the problems they have, everything they supposedly lack aside and just go out there and play some good, hard hockey? Any team should be able to beat the other on any given night. Just go out there and play hard, finish checks, simplify your game, have your players playing to their or even exceeding their potential on the day. I mean St. Louis isn't THAT good. Yes they are definitely a playoff team but so what. That shouldn't automatically mean the Oilers can't beat some of these teams sometimes and show signs of life and growth.

It's one step forward, two steps back with this team always. super frustrating to watch. The worst part is the supposed star players, first overall picks and such, don't look like game breaking elite talents. They look average. Everyone on the roster is struggling in one or more areas in some way or another. It's just really really sad.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Actually, that's a complete load of ****, but whatever.

When you complain about absolutely everything all the time, then pick and choose when the time is right to show your vast hockey knowledge, it's beyond ridiculous.
So what part of the naysayers analysis is a load of bs?

Coaching hire looking good?
Management doing a good job of identifying and filling holes?
Strong not partisan management group?
Quality owner who's 1st concern is the team and the fans?
Drafting qulaity players outside of the 1st round filling the gaps?
Excellent captain with the abiliuty to raise the level of players and be accountable?
A group of offensive players and almost dead last in goals scored.

Just tell me what part of this team is working well.

Look at the threads after the oilers have a rare two game winning streak and you will seee just as many woodworkers as when the oilers look bad.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post

If that's the direction you want to go on, we are 4 points out of 15th.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:04 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 2292
Quote:

...and 4pts from a playoff spot.

But I agree, development has been glacially slow but I'm still not ready to deal any of our young players for stop-gaps, the rest of our team is basically worthless.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:14 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Nothing like an Oiler loss to bring out the usual suspects to wag their fingers and proclaim how right they are about everything, and taking potshots at other parts of the fan base at the same time.

Same guys that complain they get too much criticism. Good, good times.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:17 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Sure but that's a byproduct of this being a shortened season. They actually have a worse record now than they had 30 games into last season. I'm pretty sure if the season started in October that the Oilers would be a lot closer to 30th than 15th.
Of course, that's a lot of what ifs but i'm sure that most can see based on the eye test that this team is closer to a bottom feeder than a playoff team.

I agree with those who say that there is very little developing going on. It has been the same story for years just with a new cast of characters every several years. This franchise hasn't had a star player since Weight and none of the current players are showing true star potential just yet. Even when a player like Gagner shows some upward development, RNH and Eberle along with Petry and Smid start showing regressions. Yakupov is having one of the worst rookie seasons for a #1 in a long time. Justin Schultz now looks completely lost after a solid start etc.
Also, this seems to be a graveyard for solid veterans and any solid veterans that are here tend to get apathetic after a while.
It's pretty disconcerting to see this play out time after time and i think it's fair that fans vent their frustrations even if it could get a bit out of hand at times.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Yes, the Flames and Buffalo have the softest schedules in the NHL. Ten times this season both of those teams get to sit at home and wait for a tired opponent to play the second game of a back-to-back in their barns. By comparison, the Oilers benefit from such match-ups three times this season.

Nonetheless, the Oilers stepped up physically better against the Blues and were still outclassed. It is frustrating to watch a well coached, playoff bound team handle the Oilers so easily.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Hey, I was just joking. Instantly removed of all accountability.

You're right, that works awesome!!

Old
03-24-2013, 12:23 PM
sid49
#FreeGaza

Taylor Hall said we had a good home stand. 1 win in the four game home stand Even the kids began to like losing. Future captain my ass.

sid49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Up the Irons

oh guys. this team is further away from competing than we thought. get over it. look on the bright side: it is painfully obvious that this lineup can not compete and there will need to be changes. Tambo is basically forced to start managing an the start is only 2 weeks away. then there is the draft and the summer. Tambo has 6 months to either improve the team or hang himself. I'm down with either.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:40 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Does this team look more like a 30th place or a 15th place team to you?

Old
03-24-2013, 12:40 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
oh guys. this team is further away from competing than we thought. get over it. look on the bright side: it is painfully obvious that this lineup can not compete and there will need to be changes. Tambo is basically forced to start managing an the start is only 2 weeks away. then there is the draft and the summer. Tambo has 6 months to either improve the team or hang himself. I'm down with either.
Unless he chalks it all up to a shortened schedule and no training camp, and decides to stay the course.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Does this team look more like a 30th place or a 15th place team to you?
To me, they look like a 20-22 place team with a lol of growing up to do.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Unless he chalks it all up to a shortened schedule and no training camp, and decides to stay the course.
Hmmm...Captain of the Titanic?

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Wow, Hall's postgame comments absolutely sucked.

Quote:
I mean, I think we had a pretty good homestand. Its tough to hear boos in your own building any time but like I said, I thought we played pretty well at home this year but they paid big money to cheer how they want to cheer. Its always tough hearing that from your own fans and people that support you and were not going to change what we do in here because the fans boo us. We know what we have to do and its got to change next game.

Tencer then had this exchange with Hall:

You leave the homestand with just one victory, I mean the results have to be frustrating.

I think we got four points, four games thats decent.
We left some points on the table for sure, that last period in San Jose and tonight its tough to leave those points out there especially against teams that were fighting against in the playoff race.
http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=5678&ut...medium=twitter

This kid used to be known as a winner... and I don't even know what to say after reading those apathetic comments.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:51 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
What is the joke?

Is it a problem because Calgary gets the second half of the Blues back-to-backer?

This is a league-wide schedule that was cobbled together as team's home rinks filled their own open dates as the lockout dragged on.

We couldn't play today as the Oilers have a road game tomorrow. The Flames played on Friday.

Not really sure what the complaint is.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:04 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Wow, Hall's postgame comments absolutely sucked.

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=5678&ut...medium=twitter

This kid used to be known as a winner... and I don't even know what to say after reading those apathetic comments.
Disgusting comments from Hall. Wow.

How can he be happy with four points when two of those points came from games that we lost in overtime after having a two goal lead in the third period? Both against teams in the playoff race as well.

We have the worst home record in the West. How can he say they have played well at home this year?

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:07 PM
dnicks17

The loser mentality in this organization is either going to break Hall or run him out of town.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote