HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIX

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 10:24 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
I'm actually pretty amused that there are some that actually want Flash back.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:42 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Not so much that I want Flash, but if the Caps resign Ribeiro where does that leave MAJO.

MAJO vs. Flash at Left Wing on the first line, who would be better?

Are MAJO and Flash similar players from a physicality standpoint, absolutely. So it would be a wash in just trading MAJO straight up for Flash, the team wouldn't get any softer but would get better at LW. Of course all of this is driven by what they do with Ribeiro.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Ridley Simon

I would trade a future (prospect and/or pick....2nd rounder, Galiev, etc.) for Brendan Morrow or Jagr (gasp!), and put said player into our top 6. Plug into the top line with Ovy and Backs. Ovy plays LW with Jagr, or RW with Morrow. Morrow would probably add more muscle, grit, leadership etc....but less points and offense. Morrow would probably cost less to acquire?

I would then trade MaJo for the best D-man I could find, preferably a Vet guy with Grit. If we needed to throw in more with MaJo to get a better d-man, then so be it (and add Schultz for a song to get rid of the salary)...someone like Robyn Regehr would be ideal. With Kuznetsov and Forsberg in the wings (assuming we resign Ribeiro), MaJo becomes redundant.

Then trade Chimera for Talbot, to add more grit for the playoff push.

Top 6 if Ovechkin, Backstrom, Morrow/Jagr, Ribeiro, Laich, and Brouwer would be fantastic.

D-corps of Green, Alzner, Carlson, Regehr, Erskine, Olesky/Kundratek/Poti.

I know everyone here HATES Jagr, but he'd be a very strong add to this team. Hell, he made Giroux last year, and is leading Dallas in points.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Jagr/Morrow
Laich-Ribeiro-Brouwer
Talbot-Perrault-Fehr
Hendricks-Beagle-Ward
Volpatti-Wolski

Green-Alzner
Orlov-Regehr
Carlson-Erskine
Olesky/Poti/Kundratek

Holtby

That team would put a real scare into anyone, *if* they could make the playoffs. If Holtby plays like he did last year, then that team could actually go far. Really far.

Thoughts?

That said,

Fire George

Last edited by Ridley Simon: 03-24-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 11:31 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Here's the list of teams we've beaten this year that currently have more wins than losses:

Winnipeg
Winnipeg
Carolina
Boston
Winnipeg
Carolina
New Jersey

Sell.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:35 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Jagr and Talbot, huh? How about coaxing Pat Lafontaine out of retirement and replacing Tim Hunter with Randy Cunneyworth?

Old
03-24-2013, 11:35 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
I would trade a future (prospect and/or pick....2nd rounder, Galiev, etc.) for Brendan Morrow or Jagr (gasp!), and put said player into our top 6. Plug into the top line with Ovy and Backs. Ovy plays LW with Jagr, or RW with Morrow. Morrow would probably add more muscle, grit, leadership etc....but less points and offense. Morrow would probably cost less to acquire?

I would then trade MaJo for the best D-man I could find, preferably a Vet guy with Grit. If we needed to throw in more with MaJo to get a better d-man, then so be it (and add Schultz for a song to get rid of the salary)...someone like Robyn Regehr would be ideal. With Kuznetsov and Forsberg in the wings (assuming we resign Ribeiro), MaJo becomes redundant.

Then trade Chimera for Talbot, to add more grit for the playoff push.

Top 6 if Ovechkin, Backstrom, Morrow/Jagr, Ribeiro, Laich, and Brouwer would be fantastic.

D-corps of Green, Alzner, Carlson, Regehr, Erskine, Olesky/Kundratek/Poti.

I know everyone here HATES Jagr, but he'd be a very strong add to this team. Hell, he made Giroux last year, and is leading Dallas in points.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Jagr/Morrow
Laich-Ribeiro-Brouwer
Talbot-Perrault-Fehr
Hendricks-Beagle-Ward
Volpatti-Wolski

Green-Alzner
Orlov-Regehr
Carlson-Erskine
Olesky/Poti/Kundratek

Holtby

That team would put a real scare into anyone, *if* they could make the playoffs. If Holtby plays like he did last year, then that team could actually go far. Really far.

Thoughts?

That said,

Fire George
that is awful, youve actually made our team worse. the fact that you think morow is a top six forward is hilarious, not to mention giving up MAJO for robyn ****ing regher, jesus

Last edited by um: 03-24-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 11:41 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
that is awful, youve actually made our team worse. the fact that you think morow is a top six forward is hilarious.
I agree.

I loved Morrow but the guy is almost out of gas and so is Regher. I would not bring Jagr back under any circumstances after the way he left and how he basically stole Ted's money.

We just got our guys back and dare I say the team looks decent. Marcus has played very well, is young and developing.

We don't need any washed up vets at this point.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Lets trade Ovie for Jagr and Flash lol

ok enough drunk NHL13 rumors

Old
03-24-2013, 11:50 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

What would you guys offer for Cammalleri (since my Green proposal got rejected). LW with an ability to play C. Gives us flexibility we lack.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:06 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
What would you guys offer for Cammalleri (since my Green proposal got rejected). LW with an ability to play C. Gives us flexibility we lack.
Depends how much of his contract CGY retains (which they probably won't want to do). Like the player, dislike the contract.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Capitlols

I'd like to add Regehr, not sure he'd waive though.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:24 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the caps as buyers regularly trade assets for rentals that often walk for nothing at the end of the season. you get these players to building your team up for the playoff stretch and the playoffs. we never complain about that.

here though, for some reason two seasons in a row there is a chunk of caps fans, many the same iirc, that want the caps to do the opposite. the seller role is for teams out of the playoffs who trade off their pending ufa's for to get something to improve the team in the future.

playoff teams and teams with a legit shot at the playoffs dont sell. they dont sell their best players for damn sure.

if the trade ribeiro bunch are convinced that the caps are out of it and have no playoff shot, trading ribeiro makes perfect sense. i dont see that as the case.

with the number of 7 and 8 seeds that have made the finals in recent years, i would think fewer fans would buy into to the idea that just making the playoffs isnt a goal that can lead to something. particularly when you consider the caps abject failure as a top 2 seed in the playoffs.
This all makes sense except for two points:

First, The Caps chances of making the playoffs are still very slim, really nonexistent absent a prolonged win streak. There's no prize for being closer but missing the playoffs. So it is better to be a 14th or 15th seed than a 9th or 10th. Making a push now that still has a high likelihood of failure and keeping valuable UFAs means losing assets and possible returns and trading a top 5 pick for a 12-15 pick. It's only worth doing if you think they can contend.

Second, the Caps' abject failure as a top-2 seed looks exactly like their many failures as a 7, 8, 9 seed over the years. This particular Caps team doesn't look like a contender to me regardless of their seeding. We're Caps fans so we have hope after two wins where they were outshot by 10+ but had a ridiculous shooting %. 7 games against a team with real D? I don't see it.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:01 PM
txpd

i see 3pts right now. is that really a long shot?
if when the time comes the caps are out of it, i am cool with selling.
i am not cool with selling 1 and a half games out of a playoff spot a team in the conference is going to lose in each game played.

as for the caps in the playoffs being the caps....well... if that is the template then they should sell every year. they are the caps. they have lost already

Old
03-24-2013, 01:08 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
One thing I am sure of, we think the Semin and Schultz posts are bad, just wait if the Caps reacquire Flash.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

These last two pages... just wow.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:22 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
One thing I am sure of, we think the Semin and Schultz posts are bad, just wait if the Caps reacquire Flash.
Hey if Schultz is going back in the trade along with MAJO, that might just make some folks here quite satisfied.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think George missed the window to trade Green. He could have gotten a kings ransom not long ago. It would have required seeing in the playoffs that he was not nearly as effective, and injury prone.

Even half broken, I suspect he is of more use to us than what George can fetch. I think we will hold and see if he learns to take hits. He needs to learn to lean forward and take hits on his hips, brace up against the boards and watch the forechecker fall to the ice. He needs to protect himself much better overall. D men can take hits to make plays and still survive.

I do not think I have ever seen a player of such high skill have such a low level of self preservation. Teach him Oates.

Cam will help but our D needs help even with Green.
I'm not sure exactly where this window is where we knew Green sucked in the playoffs but the injuries hadn't set in yet. Green was our best player in the 5 game win over the Rangers, and I believe got a big injury late in that series. I don't think we could have traded him between rounds 1 and 2.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:00 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
i am not cool with selling 1 and a half games out of a playoff spot a team in the conference is going to lose in each game played.

as for the caps in the playoffs being the caps....well... if that is the template then they should sell every year. they are the caps. they have lost already
I think 3 points is a lot since all the teams above the Caps will keep playing too and some (notably the Canes) have games in hand.

As for playoff seeding, you raised the point that the Caps didn't have much success as a top-two seed and seemed to be suggesting that they might be better off as lower seed. I'm merely pointing out that they've trued that as well and had no success. I'm not saying they will never win. But this year's team, to me, doesn't look like a contender and there's something to be gained by not finishing in the 9th or 10th spot.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:32 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
I think 3 points is a lot since all the teams above the Caps will keep playing too and some (notably the Canes) have games in hand.

As for playoff seeding, you raised the point that the Caps didn't have much success as a top-two seed and seemed to be suggesting that they might be better off as lower seed. I'm merely pointing out that they've trued that as well and had no success. I'm not saying they will never win. But this year's team, to me, doesn't look like a contender and there's something to be gained by not finishing in the 9th or 10th spot.
It's looking tough for sure.

RankTeamGPPTS
6TOR3237
7NJD3236
8CAR3032
9NYR3032
10BUF3230
11WSH3129
12NYI3129
13PHI3027
14TBL3127

3WPG3234

NJD just lost Kovalchuk 2-4 weeks. TOR snapped the losing streak, but will they return to winning or collapse as usual?

Old
03-24-2013, 02:33 PM
txpd

i never said they were better off as a lower seed. i did say that i didnt at all agree with the idea that the caps making the playoffs as a lower seed was a waste of time. the kings were an 8 last season. the flyers a 7 a couple seasons ago.

meanwhile i dont know why anyone would think a top two seed is the only way to go when that hasnt been successful either.

i say let them make the playoffs and see what happens.

selling off your leading scorer and missing the playoffs because making them is a waste of time is.....just wrong in so many ways.

edit: the problem with games in hand is that they are usually made up in back to backs, 3 games in 4 days and/or 4 games in 6 days. its hard to win them. thats why the two wins v the jets and a win v the rangers would be big

Old
03-24-2013, 02:48 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
i never said they were better off as a lower seed. i did say that i didnt at all agree with the idea that the caps making the playoffs as a lower seed was a waste of time. the kings were an 8 last season. the flyers a 7 a couple seasons ago.

meanwhile i dont know why anyone would think a top two seed is the only way to go when that hasnt been successful either.

i say let them make the playoffs and see what happens.

selling off your leading scorer and missing the playoffs because making them is a waste of time is.....just wrong in so many ways.

edit: the problem with games in hand is that they are usually made up in back to backs, 3 games in 4 days and/or 4 games in 6 days. its hard to win them. thats why the two wins v the jets and a win v the rangers would be big
But the seeding isn't the only variable. I don't have any expectations for them should they make it in as the 7 or 8 (or 3) seed because they have been terrible all season. Not terrible as in the lose more games than they win. They are terrible at hockey this year. They have a very weak D (that's WITH Mike Green). Their PK is atrocious. Holtby can be good but he's young and wildly inconsistent. Their secondary scoring is actually pretty great, but their primary scoring (8 and 19) have been nonexistent for years and a handful of games doesn't convince me that it's 2008 again.

This isn't the Kings who were packed with depth and underachieving. This is the Caps who are built horribly and underachieving. If we draw a real team, we are going to get crushed.

Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 03-24-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old
03-24-2013, 02:52 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I'm not sure exactly where this window is where we knew Green sucked in the playoffs but the injuries hadn't set in yet. Green was our best player in the 5 game win over the Rangers, and I believe got a big injury late in that series. I don't think we could have traded him between rounds 1 and 2.
I started wondering after Pitt, and again after Montreal

Pitt, injured and completely ineffective. Montreal, got worked for maybe the biggest goal of the series, the GWG in game 7. There were others.

George is supposed to be the expert and sell guys before they tank, not me.

I wonder what his trade value was after Montreal vs currently.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:55 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

nevermind

Old
03-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

Quote:

you're right tex, guaranteed loss in playoffs anyway lets sell every year.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Five games until the deadline:

@NYR
NYI
@BUF
@PHI
@CAR

Every one of those teams is within 2 points of the Caps in the standings.

Setting up perfectly for the non-committal deadline with no acquisitions and no sales.

Closed Thread