HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Express Vu / Illico discussion

Old
08-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Pascal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvez View Post
There is the NHL network on illico though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
I don't mind paying 200$ a year for NHL Centre Ice, but I want the games to be in HD. Standard definition totally sucks on my 50" LCD. Can't see the puck unless I'm less than 10 feet away.
So centre ice is not in HD? what about NHL network?

Is it even worth it to get an HDTV set for hockey games if TSN is the only one in HD? CBC games aren't either?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Markov79

The downside of Express Vu is that you will lose the signal in electrical storms, heavy rain or heavy snow. But it will come back in a couple of hours at most. Videotron goes down alot less often but when it does it usually takes a couple of days for someone to fix it.

Also, Bell's customer service is very good. I've never had a bad experience whenever I needed to ask or complain about something. Videotron is a bunch of dicks.

Markov79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Pascal

I agree there, Videotron service truely sucks. The good part is that they will swallow any story you give them to avoid paying surcharges on your bandwith.

Old
08-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Clumsyhab

Some of my HD Videotron channels (FOX, Sportsnet, CityTV and CBS) go down everytime there is rain. It really s*cks during the World Cup of Soccer. However, no problem with snow, so problems for Hockey, which is all that matters.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 05:50 AM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

My only complaint with Illico is the delay on the signal, I like to listen to the games in english while watching on RDS and it totally does not work with Illico because the radio is like 6 seconds ahead. I'm curious if this is the same with ExpressVu?

Didn't know Videotron had PVR's, I'm gonna have to get me one of those, getting sick of the VCR.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 06:05 AM
Thibaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
So centre ice is not in HD? what about NHL network?

Is it even worth it to get an HDTV set for hockey games if TSN is the only one in HD? CBC games aren't either?
CBC broadcast almost one game a week in HD, usually the Leafs game. NHL Network is only in SD.

Thibaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:17 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahqa View Post
My only complaint with Illico is the delay on the signal, I like to listen to the games in english while watching on RDS and it totally does not work with Illico because the radio is like 6 seconds ahead. I'm curious if this is the same with ExpressVu?
That's a question I would LOVE to get answered. It could actually be enough to make me switch to ExpressVu and calm my fears about HD.

You see, I love to listen to CKAC's description while watching habs games.

The 6 second delay is caused by your Illico box (I guess it takes 6 secs to transform "standard" signals to "digital").

If you just plug the videotron cable direct in your TV (just getting the stardard Illico-less signal) you are going to be able to watch your habs games in sinc with radio.

Now, it would be interesting to see if ExpressVu, not requirering digital "downgrading" - transport - "upgrading" operation actually broadcasts the games in sinc with the radio descriptions.

Same thing with HD-TV.

Anyone here knows?

I can't bear to return to RDS's description, even for a hypothetic HD broadcast (!).

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 12:07 PM
fidette

Videotron will offer a SportMax package for 30$/month

in which you get : NHL Center Ice, NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings.

So for 360$ a year you get those three channels. If you pay each of them separetaly it's worth 540$.

here is the link (in french) :
http://www.videotron.com/services/fr...nouveautes.jsp

fidette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Pascal

yea, not a bad deal.

I think for hockey it's not even worth it to get HD for now.. for what, 1-2 games a week in HD? -_-

Old
08-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
yea, not a bad deal.

I think for hockey it's not even worth it to get HD for now.. for what, 1-2 games a week in HD? -_-
It's not worth it yet in HD. You will get Leafs games on CBC and some games on TSN , maybe 2 or 3 Habs game in HD on TSN and 5-6 on CBC for the year.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 02:01 PM
tritone

Quote:
Fenix you're saying non-HD channels on illico sucks and on Bell both HD/non-HD look good? I think most HDTVs don't display non-HD channels very good right?

Yes the primary reason to get HD for me would be hockey games. It's too bad RDS doesn't come in HD yet..

Bell ExpressVu - 100% digital
Illico - NOT 100% digital.

On BEV the image of the regular channels is easily much better than the image you'll get from Illico. This is not my "opinion" this is a fact. Same television, same cabling BEV will give a much clearer image. Mathematically.

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 02:03 PM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
The 6 second delay is caused by your Illico box (I guess it takes 6 secs to transform "standard" signals to "digital").

If you just plug the videotron cable direct in your TV (just getting the stardard Illico-less signal) you are going to be able to watch your habs games in sinc with radio.

Now, it would be interesting to see if ExpressVu, not requirering digital "downgrading" - transport - "upgrading" operation actually broadcasts the games in sinc with the radio descriptions.

I'm pretty sure that only works if you have a telemax package; in which case I think you can just use bypass button on the illico box for the same effect.

I'm curious about Center Ice as well, I understand the principal is it's basically every single non locally blacked-out game, but you can't watch 6 games at a time so I'm wondering do they only play once or do they replay during the day?

Old
08-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

Quote:
I'm curious about Center Ice as well, I understand the principal is it's basically every single non locally blacked-out game, but you can't watch 6 games at a time so I'm wondering do they only play once or do they replay during the day?
You have to pick your games , for exemple :

Washinton @ Pitsbugrh , 7pm Eastern.
Vancouver @ St.Louis , 10pm Eastern.

You can zap to NHL on the Run , they show short clips of everygame on that night , every goals and nice plays. You can also listen to a game that start @7pm and in the intermissions watch games that started @ 7.30pm.

There is only 1 channel with hockey stuff all day.

Old
08-07-2006, 02:13 PM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

NHL on the Fly on the NHL Network you mean? Yeah I love that.

Old
08-07-2006, 02:15 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that only works if you have a telemax package; in which case I think you can just use bypass button on the illico box for the same effect.
I don't have the telemax package (I have the "30 channels a la carte") and it works for me!

What might provoque confusion is that, without the illico box (by plugging the cable directly to your TV), you have the equivalent to the telemax package (for example, I did not suscribe to music plus with my package but by bypassing my box I got access to the channel. I don't have access to the NHL Network though, which I have with my current subscription).

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 02:25 PM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

Quote:
I don't have the telemax package (I have the "30 channels a la carte") and it works for me!

What might provoque confusion is that, without the illico box (by plugging the cable directly to your TV), you have the equivalent to the telemax package (for example, I did not suscribe to music plus with my package but by bypassing my box I got access to the channel. I don't have access to the NHL Network though, which I have with my current subscription).

Ah sweet, I have the same package

Old
08-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=277544

Old
08-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Thibaj

Quote:
That's a question I would LOVE to get answered. It could actually be enough to make me switch to ExpressVu and calm my fears about HD.

You see, I love to listen to CKAC's description while watching habs games.

Same thing with HD-TV.

Anyone here knows?

I can't bear to return to RDS's description, even for a hypothetic HD broadcast (!).
If you want to listen to a Habs game on radio and watch it on TV at the same time, you need to listen to the game via the Internet, that has a bigger delay than Illico / BEV. After that you synchronize the game on RDS (of course you need a PVR to do that) with the game on Internet radio. You will get the game with quite a delay but even if it is 1 minute, it is not a big deal for most people who does that. I never try it personnally but I heard it works well.

Last edited by Thibaj: 08-08-2006 at 09:03 AM.
Old
08-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Thibaj

Quote:

Same thing for me. If you don't mind switching from one system to another, you get a lot of channels without paying a lot of money...

Old
08-08-2006, 12:50 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Maybe Expressvu is better but as for the internet, videotron beats sympatico hands down.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Pascal

no doubt, videotron is way better than sympatico.