Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Booing? I thought we were better...

Old
03-24-2013, 01:42 PM
mking3

vCash: 500
Everyone likes to say that the fans at the mts centre make it an intimidating place for the opposition to play, due to the boisterous cheering. We like to believe that a well timed go jets go chant can motivate our team and make them play harder. We like to believe that booing another teams player and hedging the goalie will throw them off their game or discourage them.

If you believe that the crowd at the mts centre can positively affect a game (and I would guess most do, since most including players from both sides are always talking about getting the crowd in or out of the game) it would stand to reason that booing and chanting "jets are brutal" would have a negative effect on the game (from our perspective).

By the same token, road teams always say, "we need to get off to a good start and take the crowd out of the picture". So by booing ones own team, one would be playing right into the opponents game plan. The ideal crowd would be one that couldn't be "taken out of the game".

mking3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mking3 View Post
The ideal crowd would be one that couldn't be "taken out of the game".
And there is no such thing as an ideal crowd in the world. We are not superior beings, we are human beings. Just gotta deal with it. Some people boo at live entertainment if they are not pleased with it. Such is life.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:50 PM
thereturn

Good points mking, I also liked Atlhockey's post. Shows some perspective from someone familiar with this team over a longer timeframe.

A little booing isn't going to bother me much, but some people were being ridiculous on friday... "let's go Bombers" chants? Weren't we just making fun of another fanbase for that same type of chant a week ago? At least they actually tanked half of a season, not two games.

I'm not one to boo, but in the heat of the moment, I totally got it (I went to both games, and actually traded the Boston game for Friday's). That said, I don't get how people are still arguing in favor of it long after emotions have settled, as if booing is actually our duty as a good fanbase to let the team know they were bad. Something tells me we will be even quicker to boo in future games when things aren't going right.

thereturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Savardian Spinarama
Grippin' 'n Grinnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereturn View Post
Good points mking, I also liked Atlhockey's post. Shows some perspective from someone familiar with this team over a longer timeframe.

A little booing isn't going to bother me much, but some people were being ridiculous on friday... "let's go Bombers" chants? Weren't we just making fun of another fanbase for that same type of chant a week ago? At least they actually tanked half of a season, not two games.

I'm not one to boo, but in the heat of the moment, I totally got it (I went to both games, and actually traded the Boston game for Friday's). That said, I don't get how people are still arguing in favor of it long after emotions have settled, as if booing is actually our duty as a good fanbase to let the team know they were bad. Something tells me we will be even quicker to boo in future games when things aren't going right.
That game was the one and only chance I had to take the whole family to a Jets game this year. Needless to say it didn't turn out too great. I did not boo and I never would because it's not my style, but given the circumstances I kinda got where those that did we're coming from. Let's hope for an uptick in the compete level.

Savardian Spinarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Seanahue

I don't care if the Jets lose as long as they play their hearts out. I wasn't pissed off until after the 1st period of the 1st Washington game. Even when they were down 2-0, they were playing well and getting chances. Since then, they have not put in the effort required to win (a few players aside).

The city loves this team and are very VERY passionate about it. We have a right to be angry when the team doesn't play well. I have yet to be to a game where I can talk the next day. The team earns the love of the fans just like they earned those boo's. Losing wasn't what caused the boo's. It was their effort.

Seanahue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Seanahue

That being said, the only person I have ever boo'd at in person was the ref and *insert star from the other team here*

Seanahue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Nothing wrong with booing. We should be better than we are. The fans deserve better.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:48 PM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
as a jets fan who pays 100 for a game i accept full responsibility for taking a risk of spending that money to enjoy a game where i dont care what the results of the game are.. obviously i know the team wont win half the games this year, and half of those losses are gonna be bad games.. a few of those are gonna be stinkers... if i have a right to boo anything its the ****ers in front of me that wont sit down.. oh and when they do they got a wet ass.. oops..

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Bongo

Booing is like voting. It's really the only direct voice the fan has. If it's alright to cheer well executed play, it's just as proper to express your displeasure when called for. These are grown men who make a lot of money. They can take it.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:37 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Booing is like voting. It's really the only direct voice the fan has. If it's alright to cheer well executed play, it's just as proper to express your displeasure when called for. These are grown men who make a lot of money. They can take it.
Seemed to work, they played 100x better last night! Still some soft areas, but against one of the top scoring teams in the league that ain't bad.

The games against Washington was like watching a totally different team, NOTHING worked, that is a huge mistake as they just exposed themselves and the weakpoints to the rest of the league. Either they correct it or they may be in big trouble come the playoffs where other teams will exploit our weaknesses.

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Crazed Fan

For the record i dont Boo and wont Boo them ever.
I do not participate in negative chants towards the Jets.
That being said I can understand the frustration from fans when the team does not show up. I just internalize it. But you can feel it in the arena as the game progresses.
Same play + more booze in fans = frustration.

I just cannot stand the "Lets go Bombers/ goldeyes" chants i started hearing.
Not funny, not clever, but completely disrespectful.
I think some of the fans need to realize that they are not the stars here, the team is.
The Jets are entitled to have a bad game once in a while, its what happens in sports. And while it might not be that fun to watch happen, to boo your team that has worked their butts off and is still in 3rd in the conference makes little sense to me.

I did not like seeing it, but what i took from the Washington games was the fact I got to see an elite hockey player (Ovi) at his best. Same way i felt when i got to see Gretzky , Lemieux, Yzerman at their best. The fact that i get to see the best players in the world live is still something pretty special to me.

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote