HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion (Mar. 29 article, post #976)

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 12:30 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Gut feeling? I dont think we end up with Jones. Another gut feeling? We take a forward with whatever pick we have. 2nd round we take a defender though.
I don't think the Flyers end up with Jones either. With that being said, it's not exactly spilled milk if they end up with one of Drouin, Mackinnon or Barkov. Personally, I think it's Nurse they end up with.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I just watched a video on Barkov... I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe it's because he's not very flashy?

Old
03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I would think CLB might be done w/ the 1st round Russians for awhile with the failures of Filatov and Zherdev, but who knows...
Could very well be, but with 3 1st rounders, they can afford to go high risk / high reward, especially if their picks are pretty closely grouped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus
My gut echoes these feelings.
I have the same feeling, just a bit further on down the gastrointestinal tract.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
He wanted out of Philadelphia or the criticism to end completely if you listen to the former Eagle players turned radiohosts. He wanted to play for the Bears around 2007.

.... and you're insane if you don't think McNabb would be calling him. If you're one of those McNabb apologists, just say so now so I can end this conversation.
Easy big fella If the Flyers are in the position to pick Nurse(and he is the best player on their board when its time for them to slect) he will be pumped to be selected by the Flyers. The Flyers have the opportunity to pick a very good young man in the 1st round and I just cannot picture the player being upset if he is selected by the Flyers. By the way, I am not a eagles fan and really could care less what McNabb says or does.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I just watched a video on Barkov... I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe it's because he's not very flashy?
How often do you see flashy goals scored at the NHL level? Drouin is exciting to watch, but half of those highlight reel stick handling thru traffic plays would end up with him on his butt at the NHL level.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:55 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Gut feeling? I dont think we end up with Jones. Another gut feeling? We take a forward with whatever pick we have. 2nd round we take a defender though.
We would have to win the lottery + we're not last and I don't think we will be. It's unlikely we get him, unless we trade for the first pick, which would cost a lot. We're still gonna draft a good player, though. Every player in the top 10 have a very big upside this year.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:19 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
How often do you see flashy goals scored at the NHL level? Drouin is exciting to watch, but half of those highlight reel stick handling thru traffic plays would end up with him on his butt at the NHL level.
I'm not saying he needs to be flashy, but I guess it's more that I only see him get points in videos, and not his full playing ability. Is he very good as a two-way center? Or is he primarily a skilled power forward type of guy?

Old
03-24-2013, 02:26 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
I'm not saying he needs to be flashy, but I guess it's more that I only see him get points in videos, and not his full playing ability. Is he very good as a two-way center? Or is he primarily a skilled power forward type of guy?
Two-way.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:27 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Two-way.
Any realistic equivalent he might be to any current NHL player?

Old
03-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Oan

Quote:
Mix of Joe Thornton and Mikko Koivu. More offensive upside than Koivu, but not quite as much as Thornton.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
I would say the closest comparable for Drouin right now is probably our own captain. Same size. Same ability to play a wing and center. Similar ability to play a PK. Ability to dish and finish.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:31 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I would say the closest comparable for Drouin right now is probably our own captain. Same size. Same ability to play a wing and center. Similar ability to play a PK. Ability to dish and finish.
I meant for Barkov. I'm sure he's talented as hell, but I would rather have a game changer, and honestly, right now, Jones, Mac and Drouin are probably the real game changers in the draft. Unless I'm mistaken?

Old
03-24-2013, 03:32 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
He was talking about Barkov. But yeah Giroux is a good comparison to Drouin.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
I meant for Barkov. I'm sure he's talented as hell, but I would rather have a game changer, and honestly, right now, Jones, Mac and Drouin are probably the real game changers in the draft. Unless I'm mistaken?
Barkov is an excellent player too though. Yes, he's a slight bit below where Jones, MacK and Drouin are imo, but he's got 1C potential all the same.

The Joe Thorton/M. Koivu comparison is probably fair for Barkov. Not a super finisher, but a good skater for his size. Not overly physical, but uses his body to shield the puck well. Strong puck handler. Solid two-way.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Barkov is an excellent player too though. Yes, he's a slight bit below where Jones, MacK and Drouin are imo, but he's got 1C potential all the same.

The Joe Thorton/M. Koivu comparison is probably fair for Barkov. Not a super finisher, but a good skater for his size. Not overly physical, but uses his body to shield the puck well. Strong puck handler. Solid two-way.
Kind of reminds me of Couturier if his skating was a bit better. Except I think Barkov has more of an offensive upside.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Kind of reminds me of Couturier if his skating was a bit better. Except I think Barkov has more of an offensive upside.
Always hard to project, especially across different leagues. I sincerely expected Couturier to be better offensively than he's shown at the NHL level thus far. Yes, yes its early, but I don't see the vision he demonstrated in the Q translating so far.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Honestly though if the kid winds up being a game breaker its hard to complain, even if he isn't a defenseman.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:30 PM
ahthorne

Be it any combination of:

(a) Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nurse, Lindholm, Monahan, Nichushkin, Pulock, etc.
(b) Z. Fucale or late-1st/early-2nd defenders like S. Theodore or hope somebody like M. Mueller falls...

and I will be pleased. Not counting if we get any more 1sts or 2nds... but the top-60 of this draft is pretty good.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:57 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't think the Flyers end up with Jones either. With that being said, it's not exactly spilled milk if they end up with one of Drouin, Mackinnon or Barkov. Personally, I think it's Nurse they end up with.
I think Nurse will be the pick, as well. At least I think he should be. Just makes so much sense from multiple angles, especially a need standpoint, and he plays that sandpaper style you KNOW the Flyers love. Also, our scouts and player personnel execs have to be intimately familiar with Nurse's game since he's Nick Cousins' teammate, so they've watched him plenty over the past two seasons and seen his game develop. A 6'4" kid who's advanced defensively, can skate like the wind, displays a nasty on-ice disposition AND has now shown significant offensive potential... I mean, all the tools are there, and then consider he's still likely to add another 20+ pounds. Sorry, I have to clean up the drool off my keyboard.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:34 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Lindholm is a kid who was pretty hyped before the season has he dropped in the rankings?

Old
03-25-2013, 04:59 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Always hard to project, especially across different leagues. I sincerely expected Couturier to be better offensively than he's shown at the NHL level thus far. Yes, yes its early, but I don't see the vision he demonstrated in the Q translating so far.
He's showed better offensive instincts and vision last year. This year he looks completely lost out there in all aspects. Scouts started to doubt whether his offensive would translate before the draft last year and they might have been right. There are no doubts that I know of about Barkov.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Reduxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
He's showed better offensive instincts and vision last year. This year he looks completely lost out there in all aspects. Scouts started to doubt whether his offensive would translate before the draft last year and they might have been right. There are no doubts that I know of about Barkov.
Sean has very good on ice vision, though it showed a lot more last year than it has this year. It's difficult, and unfair, to judge him on what he's done in the NHL so far from an offensive standpoint. He's been asked to play a shut down role, and overall for a 20 year old he's done a great job. He's not going to put up points when his linemates are Zac Rinaldo and Ruslan Fedotenko.

As far as the draft goes, there's a drop off in talent after the top 3 this year, and depending on who you believe the gap is fairly substantial. Jones, MacKinnon, and Drouin all project to be stars at some point in their careers. The Flyers would be lucky to land any of them, regardless of our current "need."

Some of you need to keep in mind that it's likely 2-3 years (and possibly longer), before a guy like Darnell Nurse is ready to play in the NHL, and who knows what our "needs" will be at that point. Defensemen have much longer development curves, and it's usually 4-5 years before they're able to handle their own and play to their potential. People need to keep that in mind if we're lucky enough to end up with the #1 overall pick and Seth Jones. With all of the harsh criticism I see towards Couturier as the #8 overall pick after just one season, I hate to see what's going to happen to Jones when he makes costly turnovers and blows his defensive coverages.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Oan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduxs View Post

As far as the draft goes, there's a drop off in talent after the top 3 this year, and depending on who you believe the gap is fairly substantial.
The "drop" in talent is after top 4 actually, Barkov belongs to that group just as well, has belonged whole season, but people just seem to forget about him now that Drouin is the newcomer to this "big 4", and also because Barkov plays far away in Europe.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:27 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Lindholm is a kid who was pretty hyped before the season has he dropped in the rankings?
Not really. I still like him a lot. He was in the "big 5" before nurse started to fly up the rankings. He is still in the 6-7 area, where we could be. I'd take him. Always liked him.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I have a question about Mackinnon. Is he really an elite finisher? His goal numbers don't seem overwhelming, a little better than Couturier's. A scouting report I read said he's someone that would challenge for an Art Ross, so I'd expect more goal production from him.

Closed Thread