HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-0 ...Game Over

Old
03-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Hockey Nightmare

vCash: 500
It's like everyone on the team decided to just **** the bed this year. The only one who's exceeding expectations is Gagner. Wtf happened between the lockout and today? How the hell does all this supposed talent decide to all suck at once? You can't even blame injuries.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Doc Scurlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Wow, Hall's postgame comments absolutely sucked.

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=5678&ut...medium=twitter

This kid used to be known as a winner... and I don't even know what to say after reading those apathetic comments.
Perfect future captain material. The suck has rubbed off on him.

Doc Scurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Philly85
Moody'

That is brutal.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I guess we can toss Hall into the disappointment pile with RNH and Eberle after his defeatist comments.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Another question...how do you get three #1 picks ...have all of them playing this year...and still be this terrible 5 on 5? The league is laughing at us.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Another question...how do you get three #1 picks ...have all of them playing this year...and still be this terrible 5 on 5? The league is laughing at us.
As talented as they may be you still have to surround them with solid vet talent to foster their growth as pros. The Oilers? Well, they decided that it was prudent to throw a skinny 19 year old out there on the top line for 20+ minutes a night against top talent in his second season. The organization is having pipedreams of the 1980's.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:20 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
You might want to consider the frustration within fanbase that causes some fans to be frustrated about other fans wanting this org to engage in a full on *rebuild* suck for years and that they would then somehow magically pull out of that. Building isn't ideally accomplished by destruction imo

What happened last night, and is happening again this season, was forecast by many posters here. That steering a train off the tracks on purpose is rarely a good path to pursue.

Not sure if thats what you're talking about or more specifically the posters that knew we would lose yet again against the blues.
I dunno about you, but if I'm building a new house, I'm knocking the old one down first. And I do think a lot of us thought we'd lose last night. I've been saying since the beginning of the year, playoffs would be one of those things that would be in sight this year, but we wouldn't make it. We are relying on kids who haven't yet adjusted to the mental game of the NHL. That takes time. Some guys can take 3 or 4 years, some guys can take 5 or 6. And we are worried about guys that have been around for a year or 2? I'm not concerned yet. Now if Eberle and RNH are playing like this come this time next season, it might be time to start worrying a bit.

I also think our management and coaching need to be changed, but it isn't even so much that I think they are doing a terrible job or anything, something just needs to be done to placate the masses, and doing a reactionary trade that bites us in the ass is the last thing we want to do, so a front office purge might buy the kids some time.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:32 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I dunno about you, but if I'm building a new house, I'm knocking the old one down first. And I do think a lot of us thought we'd lose last night. I've been saying since the beginning of the year, playoffs would be one of those things that would be in sight this year, but we wouldn't make it. We are relying on kids who haven't yet adjusted to the mental game of the NHL. That takes time. Some guys can take 3 or 4 years, some guys can take 5 or 6. And we are worried about guys that have been around for a year or 2? I'm not concerned yet. Now if Eberle and RNH are playing like this come this time next season, it might be time to start worrying a bit.

I also think our management and coaching need to be changed, but it isn't even so much that I think they are doing a terrible job or anything, something just needs to be done to placate the masses, and doing a reactionary trade that bites us in the ass is the last thing we want to do, so a front office purge might buy the kids some time.
I think a change at the top would do wonders for this team. If we bring in a GM who can't stand losing maybe that trickles down throughout the organization.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:52 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Disgusting comments from Hall. Wow.

How can he be happy with four points when two of those points came from games that we lost in overtime after having a two goal lead in the third period? Both against teams in the playoff race as well.

We have the worst home record in the West. How can he say they have played well at home this year?
Losers mentality, plain and simple.
This is an organization that not only accepts losing but promotes it. Look no further than the KLowe, MacT and Krueger's promotions for evidence of that, and it trickles down to the players. Hall is just another victim of this circumstance.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
The loser mentality in this organization is either going to break Hall or run him out of town.

I'm fed up with losing, but seriously? You think it's a tad early to be saying this?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:03 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Hard to play like "winners" without any veteran supports.

Look how Florida turned it around in one year going from 10-11 to 11-12. It's not hard, just bring in solid support veterans and it can take you pretty far.

They were one game away from beating the SC finalist Devils in that 1st round series.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:06 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

Look how Florida turned it around in one year going from 10-11 to 11-12. It's not hard, just bring in solid support veterans and it can take you pretty far.

They were one game away from beating the SC finalist Devils in that 1st round series.
yeah but look at florida now, flash in the pan

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

They were one game away from beating the SC finalist Devils in that 1st round series
And they're back at the bottom of the league one year later...

Seriously?? You want to emulate Florida?

They're an example of what you don't do...Might want to choose a better role model.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:13 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post

They're an example of what you don't do...Might want to choose a better role model.
Look at there injury list... Tallon is smart, he brought in vets to help aid in his young kids development. Who do you think has a better record next year Edmonton or Florida?

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Look at there injury list... Tallon is smart, he brought in vets to help aid in his young kids development. Who do you think has a better record next year Edmonton or Florida?
Edmonton of course..What a silly question.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:17 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post

They've begun to throw rookies into veteran roles this year, and are looking like we do.

Gudbranson is getting top-4 ice time and is getting eaten alive - that team misses Garrison badly. Huberdeau is piss-poor in his own end.

Their best offensive player in Kris Versteeg is injured, and they aren't getting anywhere near the goaltending (<0.900 from Theodore/Clemmenson after 0.915+ from Theodore last year) that they had last year.

It's a bad example given the way they've floundered, I agree, but a lot of that has to do with elevating players into roles they're not ready for yet.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:18 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You dont really know what he is as youve probably seen him play a handful of times if.

Lol @ the Houck comparison.
thanks for proving my point. Please enlighten me since its impossible for me to have watched Lazar play, but you've clearly watched every game Houck played...

Injuries have really hurt them, but Florida is a great example of a GM getting rid of garbage and bringing in capable vets. I'm hoping Tambo can do the same this offseason

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
You know why they think they've played great? Because that's what Ralph is telling them. Never have I been so frustrated with anyone coaching this team. His line decisions are just as bad as Renney's if not worse. His system is just pathetic and does not fit the style of our team. He is probably the only coach in the NHL that would want his team to keep playing good defense instead of going for a goal to tie a game.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:31 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
You know why they think they've played great? Because that's what Ralph is telling them. Never have I been so frustrated with anyone coaching this team. His line decisions are just as bad as Renney's if not worse. His system is just pathetic and does not fit the style of our team. He is probably the only coach in the NHL that would want his team to keep playing good defense instead of going for a goal to tie a game.
Am I the only one that thinks Krueger is making us a better team in the long run? On an individual basis, we have a lot of guys that are improving. Just look at how Renney crushed Paajarvi, and now under Krueger, he's physical, getting even better defensively, and actually scoring. You can't win by hoping to score 5 goals a game.

I'm not saying I like seeing Petrell and Smyth out there with 5 minutes to go or that I'm happy with the team's effort, but its nice to see people actually becoming better players

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:34 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Am I the only one that thinks Krueger is making us a better team in the long run? On an individual basis, we have a lot of guys that are improving. Just look at how Renney crushed Paajarvi, and now under Krueger, he's physical, getting even better defensively, and actually scoring. You can't win by hoping to score 5 goals a game.

I'm not saying I like seeing Petrell and Smyth out there with 5 minutes to go or that I'm happy with the team's effort, but its nice to see people actually becoming better players
I think Todd Nelson deserves about 95% of the coaching credit for Paajarvi's improvement and new mindset.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:38 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Ralph's system is actually quite impressive - it's very similar to that preached by Julien/Hitchcock/Sutter in the way they coach their teams.

It's a system that can win you cups - but you need the right personnel to employ this system. We don't have it.

It requires guys that back-check as hard as they fore-check (Horcoff/MPS/RNH) - those willing to pressure teams into turnovers and create offensive chances off of opposition mistakes rather than over-commit on the rush and cherry-pick for breakaway passes.

Our top-6 is full of guys that look for such plays (Eberle/Hall/Gagner/Yakupov) - guys that don't have the upper-body strength to force turnovers using their bodies and strength, and instead are usually stuck chasing opposition players on the break-out.

Our bottom-6 is perhaps the worst in the league - Ryan Smyth is not an NHL player anymore - and Eric Belanger doesn't have the skillset to execute such a system.

Our defense is a big issue. Teams that rely on Kruger's system have guys that can quickly make a pass out of the zone. These teams are almost impossible to work the dump-and-chase against because they have mobile defensemen that beat opposition forwards to the puck, and quickly initiate the breakout from there either through a 1st pass of their own or a steadfast hand-off to their partner.

STL/BOS/LAK work this to a tee - they have structured breakouts that reliably work because their defensemen are capable of it.

Apart from Petry and Whitney, I don't know a single Oilers defenseman that's been able to adhere to a proper breakout philosophy.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post

Well being that I love analogies if the house is functional, and able to be remodeled, redesigned, and preserved with some work I do that. If lawywers, real estate agents, developers etc, are not on board for that I might look at firing that first, and then working on the house. Not having the worst advisors in my ear micro managing what I choose to do.

Placating the masses all the time is a fools game. A sensible org makes sensible decisions for its shareholders. It doesn't put the shareholder front center in decision making when the shareholders are known to be reactive, emotive, and with bipolar expressed opinions. Not meaning to demean with the latter either. Its fandemonium (I like that) of sorts and in all of us and expressed in different ways.

Things are rarely as good, or bad, as they appear.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:56 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
¨We are a middleweight boxer who can compete against other middle-weighters who doesnt care. When we are up against hevyweighters we get outmuscled and runned over.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:19 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post

Who? Gagner and Paajarvi for sure. Hall somewhat and???
Everybody else has either levelled off or regressed badly.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Who? Gagner and Paajarvi for sure. Hall somewhat and???
Everybody else has either levelled off or regressed badly.
But... but they're growing stronger as a group defensively and are learning how to defend and maintain 3rd period leads under Krueger's tutelage. ... Oh wait.