HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sykora waits on Slats

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2006, 02:07 PM
94now

vCash: 500
Sykora waits on Slats

Quote:
Word out of Prague today is that Petr Sykora and Oiler G/M Kevin Lowe have agreed upon "basics" but that Syky wants to mull his options one more week before committing to the deal.

Speculation is that Sykora continues to favor Broadway for 2006-2007 and is hoping for movement from boss Glen Sather between now and next Saturday. If not the Rangers, it is said Sykora would still prefer to remain on the east coast.
http://www.hockeyrodent.com/R1597.HTM

Last edited by 94now: 08-07-2006 at 02:15 PM. Reason: error
Old
08-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Larry Melnyk

Don't blink Sather, Sykora's passive and often mindless play (love those blind passes thru the middle) will do nothing for this team..If you make a signing or a move for a forward to play on the top 6, make sure it's not for one who has been disappearing regualrly the past few years...

Old
08-07-2006, 02:19 PM
J-Dawg

Does Metallurg count as East Coast?

Seriously though, WAKE UP SATHER!!!!!

Old
08-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Synergy27

I think this is common knowledge around here by now, but it has definitely got me thinking a bit. Please hear me out:

Assuming that Renney has no plans to break up the uber-successful Straka-Nylander-Jagr line, the signing of Brendan Shanahan has gotten many of us up in arms because it seems as if fan favorite Petr Prucha will be relegated to either third line LW or be forced to play RW, where he was clearly not comfortable.

It has been known that Sykora has been waiting around for quite some time now. Do you think it is possible that Slats might be waiting for arbitration to end and then swing some sort of major deal (involving Prucha and more) to land a top flight young center to play on the 2nd line and then resign Sykora to slot into his natural RW role there?

Just a thought.

Old
08-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
I think this is common knowledge around here by now, but it has definitely got me thinking a bit. Please hear me out:

Assuming that Renney has no plans to break up the uber-successful Straka-Nylander-Jagr line, the signing of Brendan Shanahan has gotten many of us up in arms because it seems as if fan favorite Petr Prucha will be relegated to either third line LW or be forced to play RW, where he was clearly not comfortable.

It has been known that Sykora has been waiting around for quite some time now. Do you think it is possible that Slats might be waiting for arbitration to end and then swing some sort of major deal (involving Prucha and more) to land a top flight young center to play on the 2nd line and then resign Sykora to slot into his natural RW role there?

Just a thought.
I could see that and I almost think that that is a distinct possibility of what could happen.

I get an eerie feeling that Prucha might not be in the team's long term plans. Nothing to back that up on, it's just a feeling...

Old
08-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:

Just a thought.
Ya know, I can't shoot that down because anything's possible..Could be..Personally, I think it's more possible that one of Shanny, Prucha or Hall play RW on a 2nd line..Yeah, it's offwing for both Shanny and Prucha, but both have played it before and a whole camp might be able to do wonders....I also think it's possible that the deal you talk about could be just as easily for a RW (defimnetley moving Prucha down) as it is for a C...I think the move for a C would still keep two of Shanny, Hall and Prucha on the 2nd line with Cullen sliding to LW on a 3rd line...OTOH, it might also be possible that Prucha is moived in such a trade......Possibilities, possibilites..I just hope none of them include Sykore...

Old
08-07-2006, 02:28 PM
J-Dawg

Quote:

Just a thought.

Definitely a thought, here's another one though. Why not KEEP Prucha and have HIM be the young center to play on the second line? Prucha CAN play center. And is listed so as a center even on this site:

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/petr_prucha

And another site:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...3?pid=00063016

So re-sign Sykora to play alongside Shanahan AND Prucha on the 2nd line.

That's my take...

Old
08-07-2006, 02:31 PM
pcem

Quote:

Just a thought.
With especially the signing of Cullen (not to talk about up-and-coming prospects) there is absolutely no place for another center. I think if a trade like that was coming which would then certionly involve Montoya, it would be next year to evaluate if Henke keeps up his play.

Old
08-07-2006, 02:35 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

How quickly things change...

what was it - less than a month ago, when his agent said "We eliminated the Rangers a while back ... That scenario wasn't in Petr's best interests to return to the Rangers. So we haven't talked to them."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-366218c.html

3 weeks ago it was in his best interest to not return to NY, and now he's supposedly waiting on Sather?

Old
08-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcem View Post
With especially the signing of Cullen (not to talk about up-and-coming prospects) there is absolutely no place for another center. I think if a trade like that was coming which would then certionly involve Montoya, it would be next year to evaluate if Henke keeps up his play.
I disagree...I think this team desperately needs another TOP 6 Center becuase Matt Cullen is not the answer..He's a 3rd liner that will be playing the 2nd line..And Nylander is gone after this year...Even if Dubinsky pans out as an offensive center, we surely need another one...Not saying we will trade for a C and I can live with Nylander-Cullen-Immo-Betts, but there are valid reasons for doing so even if a guy like Jarko Immonen is lost in the shuffle..

Old
08-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Fletch

J-Dawg...

it was posted in here some time ago about the possibility of Sykora signing with a Russian team. Can't remember the source though, but that's why some in here have talked about Sykora to Russia.

As for signing Sykora - that would be an end to what has been a pretty nice Summer. He's just not needed. Further, if you had a Sykora you'd want him getting PP time - there's just not that much PP time left. Unfortunately I cannot be objective because I just wasn't much of a fan of his from the get-go. We talk about numbers lying - I thought they lied with him here.

Old
08-07-2006, 02:41 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg View Post
Definitely a thought, here's another one though. Why not KEEP Prucha and have HIM be the young center to play on the second line? Prucha CAN play center. And is listed so as a center even on this site:

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/petr_prucha

And another site:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...3?pid=00063016

So re-sign Sykora to play alongside Shanahan AND Prucha on the 2nd line.

That's my take...
How about Pee-wee league. This is NHL. He will win 30% of face-offs and be leveled in his own slot.

Old
08-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Entrancemperium

If Prucha + is out of here it better be for Malkin

Old
08-07-2006, 02:49 PM
J-Dawg

Fletch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it was posted in here some time ago about the possibility of Sykora signing with a Russian team. Can't remember the source though, but that's why some in here have talked about Sykora to Russia.

As for signing Sykora - that would be an end to what has been a pretty nice Summer. He's just not needed. Further, if you had a Sykora you'd want him getting PP time - there's just not that much PP time left. Unfortunately I cannot be objective because I just wasn't much of a fan of his from the get-go. We talk about numbers lying - I thought they lied with him here.
Your point is taken, but if for some reason they do re-sign him, why not play him at the point on the PP like they should have all along? And I definitely don't think it would be an end to a pretty nice summer, don't you think that's a bit harsh? If nothing else, Sykora would solidify the RW slot on the second line, along with Shanahan and Prucha.

You don't like the way the top 6 would look like with Sykora?

Straka-Nylander-Jagr

Shanahan-Prucha-Sykora

I dunno about you, but I feel better with that top 6 and then a 3rd line of J.Ward-Cullen-Hall and a 4th line of Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer.

Last edited by J-Dawg: 08-07-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old
08-07-2006, 02:50 PM
J-Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
How about Pee-wee league. This is NHL. He will win 30% of face-offs and be leveled in his own slot.
Have more faith in Prucha, I'd rather see Prucha center the 2nd line then Cullen. Prucha's tougher than you're giving him credit for...

Old
08-07-2006, 02:51 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrancemperium View Post
If Prucha + is out of here it better be for Malkin
Malkin? He is not in NHL next year. Why not Afinogenov? We got space unlike Sabres.

Old
08-07-2006, 02:55 PM
J-Dawg

94now...

Or even as you said before, flop Straka with Prucha, and you'd still have the same top 6 but with Prucha LW the 1st line and Straka C the 2nd line...

Old
08-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Fletch

They should've played him...

on the point last season - it's still baffling to me that he didn't considering it was talked about and it was a sore spot on the Rangers (could've avoided the whole Ozo debacle potentially too). Having said that, Cullen's supposed to be a point guy too. Also, I'd like to see Rozsival and Tyutin out there also.

Old
08-07-2006, 03:04 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Or even as you said before, flop Straka with Prucha, and you'd still have the same top 6 but with Prucha LW the 1st line and Straka C the 2nd line...
Many have said it a million times here, if Straka plays anywhere other than with Jagr, he does NOTHING this year. That is the only place where he is effective. Prucha may do better with Jags, but Straka will do ALOT worse without him.

Old
08-07-2006, 03:04 PM
J-Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
on the point last season - it's still baffling to me that he didn't considering it was talked about and it was a sore spot on the Rangers (could've avoided the whole Ozo debacle potentially too). Having said that, Cullen's supposed to be a point guy too. Also, I'd like to see Rozsival and Tyutin out there also.
I agree...

I dunno why we were made to suffer through Ozolinsh...

Old
08-07-2006, 03:06 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Malkin? He is not in NHL next year. Why not Afinogenov? We got space unlike Sabres.
I wouldn't trade Prucha for Afinogenov. Prucha has one 30 goal season and has only played one year. Afinogenov has never even scored more than 22, and has only once had more than 50 points in six NHL seasons.

Old
08-07-2006, 03:08 PM
J-Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
Many have said it a million times here, if Straka plays anywhere other than with Jagr, he does NOTHING this year. That is the only place where he is effective. Prucha may do better with Jags, but Straka will do ALOT worse without him.
I agree completely, I don't think we should touch the Straka-Nylander-Jagr line, but I also think Prucha can handle the C on the 2nd line, others diverge...

Old
08-07-2006, 03:09 PM
94now

Quote:
That's fine. The other possibility is to switch Shanahan to RW. Unlike Prucha, Shanahan should be ok with that. But signing Sykora is better since it truly simplifies a lot of things.
I think Sather waits for movement associated with arbitration. He has his friend Kevin to secure Sykora at low price (it better be so!)and he if doesn't get small-for-small trade in Prucha for Afinogenov or even Gionta (3 ways), he might settle for Sykora.

Old
08-07-2006, 03:13 PM
IanB

Quote:
I disagree...I think this team desperately needs another TOP 6 Center becuase Matt Cullen is not the answer..He's a 3rd liner that will be playing the 2nd line..And Nylander is gone after this year...Even if Dubinsky pans out as an offensive center, we surely need another one...Not saying we will trade for a C and I can live with Nylander-Cullen-Immo-Betts, but there are valid reasons for doing so even if a guy like Jarko Immonen is lost in the shuffle..
Cullen is an offensive forward, but he has essentially played his entire career on the third lines. He most certainly could be bumped down to that spot in NY to make room for a new center.

That being said, even if it makes sense to trade for that 2nd line Center, I dont think it would involve Prucha. He has a pretty tight bond with Jagr, and I think it's pretty safe to say that Jagr's happiness level dictates, if not heavily influences, alot of the moves Sather makes.

Prucha can play center, and I'd like to see a Shanahan-Prucha-Sykora line. I'd wonder about their defensive zone play though - Sykora is lazy, Shanahan is getting old, and Prucha is undersized, and his play in the defensive zone is lacking.

I honestly believe that if Sykora was an option, the Rangers would have demonstrated at least some interest to keep him available while they took care of other things.

I've also said before: If the Rangers signed Sykora or another RW, Prucha being bumped to the third line would not be the worst thing as long as the second and third line got equal playing time. The Hurricanes won the cup last year with essentially three scoring lines. The Rangers lost last year because they only had one.

With the addition of Hall, however, Jason Ward would then have to be pushed to the fourth line.

Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Shanahan - [Center] - Sykora
Prucha - Cullen** - Hall*
Hollweg - Betts - Ward***

Extra: Hossa, Ortmeyer

*Replaced by Hossa if injured
**Replaced by Immonen if injured
***Replaced by Ortmeyer if injured

Straka, Shanahan, have one year contracts. Nylander, if I'm not mistaken, has one year left on his contract. I say, sign Sykora for one more year, look for a 2nd line Center, as long as they dont throw away their valuable prospects and picks, and take a shot at the cup. Next year, we'll resume/finish what we started with the rebuild.

Old
08-07-2006, 03:15 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I wouldn't trade Prucha for Afinogenov. Prucha has one 30 goal season and has only played one year. Afinogenov has never even scored more than 22, and has only once had more than 50 points in six NHL seasons.
I wouldn't trade Prucha, period. But I'm not GM. Otherwise I wouldn't bring Shanahan to squeeze Prucha out.

Closed Thread