HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Struggling versus the Sabres.. Habs lose 2-1.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:07 PM
JohnLennon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Yeah, I know, how shameful is it to watch the games, right?

Miller didn't stand on his head. He allowed TONS of rebounds that we couldn't bury. This is a fact that you just keep disregarding. But hey, don't worry. It's not all that surprising to me.
38 saves on 39 shots is not standing on your head? Give me a break. And then you proceed to call you opinion a "fact"?! Just stop while you're ahead man.

Quote:
pfft... I'm more than ok with my opinions and I'm secure enough to know that ultimately, the last few years were what they were for a reason.

Having puck-possession advantage and scoring opportunities advantage is one thing. Burying on your chances and cashing in is another things. Some call it "luck factor". And there is some. But ultimately, you create your own luck when you're a champion. And the Habs didn't do that yesterday.
Come on. You expect the team to win every game they play? Teams lose in hockey, even after dominating. That's hockey. Luck plays a huge role, and even champions get snake-bitten.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Analysis based 100% on stats is useless in sports. Anybody who played any sport at any reasonable level would know this.
Yes, the majority of NA professional sports teams who in house statistical analytics guys are clearly not operating at a reasonable level in sports.

But that is just another fact, which in your epistemology has no validity.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:08 PM
bud12

do the habs know they can throw hits?

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:16 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
THIS HAS NO INFLUENCE ON THE IMPACT OF A GAME! Only puck possession time and CORSI numbers matter here. There are no reasons behind those numbers, and a victory is worth another. There are only fixed variables in hockey, and those variables are not influenced by anything.

Further more, the energy given by players and the momentum shifters are overrated.

*Pukes*

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:18 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
38 saves on 39 shots is not standing on your head? Give me a break. And then you proceed to call you opinion a "fact"?! Just stop while you're ahead man.

Come on. You expect the team to win every game they play? Teams lose in hockey, even after dominating. That's hockey. Luck plays a huge role, and even champions get snake-bitten.
There's a way to win games and there's a way to lose games. Can you genuinely think the players didn't come out looking flat yesterday?

Old
03-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
The proponents of truthiness are out in full force.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
If you control the puck 70% of the time, you aren't going to have a lot of opportunities to hit.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:29 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
If you control the puck 70% of the time, you aren't going to have a lot of opportunities to hit.
It's not only about the number of hits and the severity of them. It's about how you behave with and without the puck.

The best image of last night's game to describe it was Eller skating in periphery around their zone without even trying to get in the ****, and ending up losing the puck.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
pfft... I'm more than ok with my opinions and I'm secure enough to know that ultimately, the last few years were what they were for a reason.

Having puck-possession advantage and scoring opportunities advantage is one thing. Burying on your chances and cashing in is another things. Some call it "luck factor". And there is some. But ultimately, you create your own luck when you're a champion. And the Habs didn't do that yesterday.
But puck-possession advantage and scoring opportunities (shots basically) correlated way more with success than "burying abilities" (shotting percentage). It's the former that perenial great teams have, not the latter.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Uber Coca

The Canadiens were the better team last night. Can't win them all. Tough week ahead.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
There's a way to win games and there's a way to lose games. Can you genuinely think the players didn't come out looking flat yesterday?
Dominating the game and puck possession for a puck possession team is coming out flat?

Please, Buffalo is just that team this year they're having trouble beating. Just like the Islanders.

The fact still remains they beat Boston and can beat Pittsburgh, who cares about Buffalo

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
Quote:
It's not only about the number of hits and the severity of them. It's about how you behave with and without the puck.

The best image of last night's game to describe it was Eller skating in periphery around their zone without even trying to get in the ****, and ending up losing the puck.
it flipped off his stick big deal it happens, usually he is very strong on puck. if he can skate around like that looking for an opening why not?

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Dominating the game and puck possession for a puck possession team is coming out flat?

Please, Buffalo is just that team this year they're having trouble beating. Just like the Islanders.

The fact still remains they beat Boston and can beat Pittsburgh, who cares about Buffalo
They haven't beat Pittsburgh.

They have trouble with these teams because they few flaws in this team do get exploited very well by Buffalo and New York. One, they can't handle great offensive defensemen very well(Streit, Visnovsky). They can't handle elite players and their buddies very well(John Tavares, Thomas Vanek). And of course, our penalty kill has been as pathetic as usual.

And they were stoned when facing the 1-2-2 in the third period yesterday. How ironic.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Et le But

Quote:
THIS HAS NO INFLUENCE ON THE IMPACT OF A GAME! Only puck possession time and CORSI numbers matter here. There are no reasons behind those numbers, and a victory is worth another. There are only fixed variables in hockey, and those variables are not influenced by anything.

Further more, the energy given by players and the momentum shifters are overrated.

*Pukes*

You also might want to do something about that puke, maybe see a doctor or something.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
The habs were the better team and I think everyone should realize that the sabres are under-achieving this year. This team on paper could easily be a contender for a top 4 spot in the conference, for whatever reason the stars have not aligned for them. They are out of the playoffs but only by 2 pts and 2 games. The habs lack a little bit of talent up front to capitalize on their chances.

I'm pretty sure that with Prust and Bourque to replace Armstrong and Moen things will be better, but the most important piece of the puzzle is to see Galchenyuk eventually become the player he is destined to be. And yesterday Galchenyuk seemed to be a lot more comfortable than usual.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

MOD

I am for use of numbers in sports, but most of the funky stats ignore the fact that hockey is a game of Euclidean vectors and "curves".

Last edited by Fugu: 03-25-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: qdp
Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Dharvey33

Freakin Sabres stole us big time twice this week and always seems to have our number.

The bright side they suck and won't have a very high draft pick this year so they can blow me. Always find a way to grind a victory against the habs.

This week it was all about the refs they just handed 4 points to the sabres.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:12 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
I am for use of numbers in sports, but most of the funky stats ignore the fact that hockey is a game of Euclidean vectors and "curves".
I am all for stats as well. They do show production or lack thereof.

It is foolish for some to dismiss the emotional aspect of the game though. And I see it all too often on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
Freakin Sabres stole us big time twice this week and always seems to have our number.

The bright side they suck and won't have a very high draft pick this year so they can blow me. Always find a way to grind a victory against the habs.

This week it was all about the refs they just handed 4 points to the sabres.
The refs are just prepping us for the Boston game. After Julien's rant, Campbell will make sure that the referees whistles stay put away. It will be open season on Habs players.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:31 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The refs are just prepping us for the Boston game. After Julien's rant, Campbell will make sure that the referees whistles stay put away. It will be open season on Habs players.
I can't tell if this is a joke or serious. Real life doesn't work like that; no one tells refs to put their whistles away against certain teams, and Julien's rant CERTAINLY didn't affect anyone in league management.

This conspiracy talk is silly [mod].

Last edited by Fugu: 03-25-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: qdp
JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:33 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
I can't tell if this is a joke or serious. Real life doesn't work like that; no one tells refs to put their whistles away against certain teams, and Julien's rant CERTAINLY didn't affect anyone in league management.

This conspiracy talk is silly
Of course its a half serious joke.

We will see if it is completely serious or a joke on Wednesday, right?

Old
03-24-2013, 06:32 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
I think you're right on that one... It's unfortunate that our team thought the same for way too long too. One can only hope Bergevin is not of the same clothe.
I will give Bergevin the benefit of the doubt for this season. I am curious to see what moves he makes during the off-season.

That will determine if he is indeed a breath of fresh air with a new perspective and culture........or if he is simply Gauthier lite.