HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are habs fans so pessimistic/critical??

Old
03-23-2013, 07:01 PM
AntonCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Sam Pollock rigs the expansion system to the Canadiens benefit and the team goes on to dominate the 70s.

There's your reason why the Canadiens cannot be as dominant as they were again.

Just read THE GREAT EXPANSION by Lowetide.ca: http://lowetide.ca/blog/2012/09/the-...ion-vol-1.html
This has been countered so often, how late to the party can you be?

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:56 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
This has been countered so often, how late to the party can you be?
In which way?

This isn't the "Montreal had all the French Canadians" argument.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Habanero514

Cause us Fans buy the tickets to the games ?

Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Chet-Nick

Certain sports organizations have higher standards set in place by their demanding fan base. While Montreal is far removed from their glory years. Many of us vividly remember some of their cup wins and a few competitive (non-cup) clubs.

For example, take a look at the 1980's. You had people (both media and fans) say what a downside decade it was for the Montreal Canadiens. Yes. Based on their success during the 1970's and prior.

Habs still reached the cup final in 1986 and 1989. Had two semi-final appearances in 1984 and 1987. But, compared to the Canadiens' dynasty teams of the past. This wasn't up to par ... by Montreal standards. In another market, those 80's results would have been just fine.

Mind you, the early portion of the 80's was a bit of a mess ... by Montreal standards. An aging roster who lost in the opening round for three straight years (1981-83). Oh yeah. Bring on the Doug Wickenheiser/Denis Savard comparisons.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Habanero514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet-Nick View Post
Certain sports organizations have higher standards set in place by their demanding fan base. While Montreal is far removed from their glory years. Many of us vividly remember some of their cup wins and a few competitive (non-cup) clubs.

For example, take a look at the 1980's. You had people (both media and fans) say what a downside decade it was for the Montreal Canadiens. Yes. Based on their success during the 1970's and prior.

Habs still reached the cup final in 1986 and 1989. Had two semi-final appearances in 1984 and 1987. But, compared to the Canadiens' dynasty teams of the past. This wasn't up to par ... by Montreal standards. In another market, those 80's results would have been just fine.

Mind you, the early portion of the 80's was a bit of a mess ... by Montreal standards. An aging roster who lost in the opening round for three straight years (1981-83). Oh yeah. Bring on the Doug Wickenheiser/Denis Savard comparisons.

New regime under Bergevin aren't only content in making the playoffs, they want to win the cup which is something i like and we were lacking since Savard...

Old
03-24-2013, 12:31 PM
LeoHabs*

Because we know that if the Habs win a cup, it will be one of the best days in our life. So we're hard on the team sometimes, and expect too much.

LeoHabs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Habanero514

We been waiting for #25 since 1993.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

You watch the crowd at the Bell's this year and they're not even cheering that much even though we've won a lot of games. I've see several matchs of Habs domination and they're not reacting other than when we score. I think the crowd wants more fire.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
You watch the crowd at the Bell's this year and they're not even cheering that much even though we've won a lot of games. I've see several matchs of Habs domination and they're not reacting other than when we score. I think the crowd wants more fire.
Because they're all bandwagoneers.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Burke the Legend

And they don't watch/play any other hockey either.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:11 PM
No Team Needed

That's a lot of assumptions.

Maybe they don't give a crap about the Sabres?

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:29 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Maybe they're deaf-mutes.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Ollie Williams

With great cup drought comes great frustration.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I've noticed this too... what up wit dat?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:50 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
We only cheer if our team barely makes the PO and then causes big upsets by beating the top 2 teams in the conference. I personally couldn't care less to finish in a top 4 spot, I only care to see my team get bigger and nastier forwards. I think that if Subban gets one more penalty that ends up costing a goal that we should trade him when we still have the chance.

I often boo at the bell center when the habs are down by a goal even though we lead 2to1 in shots, because no opposing goalie, however good they are playing, should get in way of me and the satisfaction I get from winning a regular season game. Even though we are almost sure to have home-ice advantage in the PO.

Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:58 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I think it's pretty obvious they want more of it. Just look at its reaction when PK starts skating for 3 strides, they all start to cheer.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:51 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Pierre Boivin made sure the Bell Centre was packed night in and night out. The downside of it is, most of this crowd is a bunch of puck ****** and d-bags who go to the Bell Centre for the very purpose of taking themselves in picture in the stands to then put it on their facebook wall. Went to the Red vs White game in the training camp, there were idiots dancing left and right. When I went to the Winnipeg game, most of the public in the reds was texting and doing stuff on their cellphones instead of actually watching the game.

Even last year, when things were going bad, I kept rocking my Markov/Cole t-shirts, because I'm a real fan. I rocked my Prust t-shirt all summer/fall long. Back in 2008, you could see Kostitsyn/Price/Kovalev/Higgins/Komisarek jerseys EVERYWHERE. Last year, I don't think I saw any in the city. This year, those idiots start wearing them again and posting facebook statuses about the Habs, since they're doing well.

For all the bragging we do about our full rinks, our crowd is one of the most clueless around. Going to games as if it was a club. Then they think they're jetset. Ridiculous.

Last edited by HiggsBozon: 03-25-2013 at 09:57 AM.
HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:59 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Hmm... just posted and the thread doesn't seem to be bouncing up... Is it a bug?

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:34 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Have to be honest - I have very little sympathy for guys like you, around my age, who feel let down by the Habs because they've denied you your Cup. I've seen all the Cups that you have, but I live in the present, with 30 teams and a salary cap. Having high standards is great, but basing them on the 1970s is futile. Whether you and I accept it or not, there is no winning DNA attached to the Canadiens anymore, because not a single person remains from the Habs of the 70s, 80s or 90s. Our team has nothing in common with those dynasty years except the jersey. Like every other team, we are subject to the same ratio of smart and stupid decisions, and we're beholden to the same good and bad bounces that often determine a series. Sucks to be like everyone else. You call it "inexcusable", I call it reality.

It might be hard to digest, but the Habs are on a totally level playing field with 29 other teams. This doesn't excuse the poor management decisions (paging Mr. Houle) but it recognizes that the Habs don't manufacture widgets on an assembly line; they deal in people who are subject to injuries, moods, motivations, work ethics and learning curves, where even the smart personnel decisions don't always work out. There've been some dumb moves by the Habs over the past 20 years, but let's not forget that half the teams have never won even one Cup, and even Boston and Chicago have won only one Cup each over the past few decades. Or would you rather have been a Rangers or Leafs fan? Yeah, I get pihssed when our GM or coach does something I believe is stupid, but blaming them for not living up to my 40-year-old memories is ridiculous.

I became a Habs fan by watching my idols. I'm still a huge fan, except now I'm watching kids. Times change, the league has changed. Anyone who expects today's Habs to live up to expectations of yesterday's Habs will forever be disappointed.
I read the first line and stopped. I know your posts , and I like them. If you had read my post carefully, I said consistent quality and hopefully a cup every ten years would be OK.

I am well aware that the league has changed. I expected this sort of response, but not from you.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:40 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Sam Pollock rigs the expansion system to the Canadiens benefit and the team goes on to dominate the 70s.

There's your reason why the Canadiens cannot be as dominant as they were again.

Just read THE GREAT EXPANSION by Lowetide.ca: http://lowetide.ca/blog/2012/09/the-...ion-vol-1.html
Well, 11 other GM's did not rig the expansion system, so boo hoo. Maybe Habs owners and organization put together the best GM and Coach combination ever in the seventies. Ever think of that?

Everyone had the same chance, and we won 6 cups in the seventies. No apologies from me mate.

And we had the most cups in history before expansion already. But other wise, good post.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:46 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Typical baby boomer mentality. Had everything handed to them and cries when it stops.

"Bawwww I've only seen 12 SC wins!"
I rent, I don't own, have a 6 year professional degree, and struggle to pay my bills. And I'm generation X, born too late for the easy years, 62-66, screwed much more than you by the baby boomers. Otherwise, thank you for your thoughtful post.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Joe Cole

My 2 cents are that the fans are not half as knowledgeable as they tout themselves of being. They derive ALL their hockey knowledge from very few sources. Those sources are stocked with guys who always agree with each other and offer no real analysis of the game play. They treat the game like a reality TV show, it's all about the "stories" and nothing about the substance. As well, there is no fresh ideas in that closed gene pool. You get more and more irrational when you interbreed ideas for generations.

In truth, it is the a big frustration in my day to day life.

People just repeat what they read/hear locally. The attitudes they have on players and on plays are direct repetition of the stuff they hear and read. Folks need to branch out a bit, buy a book about hockey from a writer who is not local. Watch broadcasts from other networks. Read a newspaper or blog from outside the province.

In Quebec, the extreme shallowness of the understanding of hockey tactics is staggering. But everyone feels it is their God given right to be considered an expert. Add to it a guaranteed over emotional knee jerk reaction and later stubbornness in revising those initial thoughts....and what do you get?

A VERY shallow intellectual gene pool.

We may know what an offside is, but the general Habs fan does not know how to differentiate emotion from opinion. It is fine to lose yourself in the game and get pumped up, but before you run your mouth off like an idiot, think.

I have no faith it will ever change.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:52 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
For the past 20 years, the team has endured a lot of horrible management. Houle was a complete disaster. Savard was Ok, but nothing special. Gainey was decent at first but did some absolutely crazy things in the latter parts of his tenure. Gauthier made some nice trades but ran the team like a total gong show.

Then there's the fact that this team has been plagued with a fair number of "Murphy's Law" seasons when it comes to injuries.

I think that we Habs fans have almost been conditioned to expect the worst, and hence are always be on the lookout for the "next shoe to drop". The Montreal media atmosphere definitely doesn't help. All of this creates a certain taste of negativity, just dancing on our tongues.

I think it'll take a couple years of us near/at the top of the league (including with good playoff runs) and/or a Stanley Cup before the "taste" of all of this is removed from our mouths, and replaced with a more confident optimism.

Plus, there's this...

To be fair, there are legitimate criticisms to be made about the coach sometimes playing favorites.

But I've noticed that some fans latch on really hard to specific players and are not happy unless those players are getting lots of ice time and is personally doing well.
Great post. I like all the posters here, young and old, but the big picture just is not there for some guys.

The big picture is the Cup. Only the Cup.

Not individual players, ever. And that includes Flower, Savard, Lemaire, Cournoyer and all the great players I worshiped as a kid. I never bought jerseys, I bought Habs posters, with every player on the team in them.

Something has changed.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
My 2 cents are that the fans are not half as knowledgeable as they tout themselves of being. They derive ALL their hockey knowledge from very few sources. Those sources are stocked with guys who always agree with each other and offer no real analysis of the game play. They treat the game like a reality TV show, it's all about the "stories" and nothing about the substance. As well, there is no fresh ideas in that closed gene pool. You get more and more irrational when you interbreed ideas for generations.

In truth, it is the a big frustration in my day to day life.

People just repeat what they read/hear locally. The attitudes they have on players and on plays are direct repetition of the stuff they hear and read. Folks need to branch out a bit, buy a book about hockey from a writer who is not local. Watch broadcasts from other networks. Read a newspaper or blog from outside the province.

In Quebec, the extreme shallowness of the understanding of hockey tactics is staggering. But everyone feels it is their God given right to be considered an expert. Add to it a guaranteed over emotional knee jerk reaction and later stubbornness in revising those initial thoughts....and what do you get?

A VERY shallow intellectual gene pool.

We may know what an offside is, but the general Habs fan does not know how to differentiate emotion from opinion. It is fine to lose yourself in the game and get pumped up, but before you run your mouth off like an idiot, think.

I have no faith it will ever change.
People talking about hockey is like people talking about anything else. It's driven by the media and they trust what they hear/see. Rene Descartes would be proud.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:56 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out East View Post
The happy grateful fans are too busy enjoying life to be on here constantly complaining... so you don't hear from them...
You're right, I want a Habs cup so my life is **** without it. Your life is great.