HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

By the numbers: Montreal's popularity

Old
03-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Chet-Nick

vCash: 500
By the numbers: Montreal's popularity

We, as Habs fans, never doubt the Canadiens' vast following throughout Canada - and some parts of the U.S.

Observe the total viewing audience. Pittsburgh recently played Montreal and Toronto.

PIT-MTL, Mar 2, CBC: 1.657 million (+ 890,000 on RDS) = 2.547 million

PIT-TOR, Mar 9, CBC: 2.021 million*

* that figure also includes the CBC (Quebec) audience for the Montreal/Tampa Bay game the same evening.

------------------------------------------------------------

Official FACEBOOK following ...

Montreal Canadiens : 1,004,042
Toronto Maple Leafs : 661,650

Official TWITTER following ...

Montreal Canadiens : 379,521
Toronto Maple Leafs : 280,107

-------------------------------------------------------------

Couple of classic Canadian rock band album covers (Triumph & April Wine) ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg triumph-allied-forces-.jpg‎ (69.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg April Wine.jpg‎ (99.1 KB, 42 views)

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Chet-Nick

Bonus Cover (The Guess Who) ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guess Who.jpg‎ (86.5 KB, 52 views)

Old
03-24-2013, 11:23 AM
HABSonaroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet-Nick View Post
Bonus Cover (The Guess Who) ...
Great pic

HABSonaroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Habanero514

Habs fans come from all over the world not just Canada and the U.S.

Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:07 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

well this is enlightening and gives me a warm feeling inside...may be the tacos I had last night but none the less....cool stuff.

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:46 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

I don't care what Leafs fans say, we are the biggest fanbase in the NHL.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Aragorn, stromboulopoulos

Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Alexdaman

Habs have the largest fan base for a hockey team for sure. But this might not stay the same if the team doesn't get a cup in next 3-5 years, thankfully our future is bright.

Teams like LA and Chicago are getting more and more hype.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet-Nick View Post
We, as Habs fans, never doubt the Canadiens' vast following throughout Canada - and some parts of the U.S.

Observe the total viewing audience. Pittsburgh recently played Montreal and Toronto.

PIT-MTL, Mar 2, CBC: 1.657 million (+ 890,000 on RDS) = 2.547 million

PIT-TOR, Mar 9, CBC: 2.021 million*

* that figure also includes the CBC (Quebec) audience for the Montreal/Tampa Bay game the same evening.

------------------------------------------------------------

Official FACEBOOK following ...

Montreal Canadiens : 1,004,042
Toronto Maple Leafs : 661,650

Official TWITTER following ...

Montreal Canadiens : 379,521
Toronto Maple Leafs : 280,107

-------------------------------------------------------------

Couple of classic Canadian rock band album covers (Triumph & April Wine) ...
Yet CBC only plays Canadiens games nationally only when they play the Leafs or when the Leafs aren't even playing. CBC should at least alternate weekends for national coverage. But just like every other network in Canada that covers sports they're all bias to the worst team in the history of sports. The Toronto Maple Leafs. Great job CBC

Such a joke.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:49 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Always have been...no issue at all...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

The only problem from a network standpoint is that our viewership gets divided among multiple networks.

For example, if the canucks are playing on a saturday night on CBC, the entire viewership is watching it on CBC, while if the habs are playing on the same night, fans can watch on CBC or RDS. The divided viewership makes it less appealing for CBC to show the habs nationally, especially since their piece of the pie is not as large as RDS.

But yeah, if you combine the two networks, you can make a very strong case for the habs having the larger fanbase.

It`s the corporate support where Toronto gets the the definite edge.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
The only problem from a network standpoint is that our viewership gets divided among multiple networks.

For example, if the canucks are playing on a saturday night on CBC, the entire viewership is watching it on CBC, while if the habs are playing on the same night, fans can watch on CBC or RDS. The divided viewership makes it less appealing for CBC to show the habs nationally, especially since their piece of the pie is not as large as RDS.

But yeah, if you combine the two networks, you can make a very strong case for the habs having the larger fanbase.
Piece of the pie ? As in attendance ? In the example used CBC had almost double that of RDS.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Piece of the pie ? As in attendance ? In the example used CBC had almost double that of RDS.
Pittsburgh may be an anomaly, because crosby attracts a larger national audience. But I tend to remember that RDS typically pulls in bigger numbers than CBC on Saturday. But looking at the disparity in those figures, I`m starting to doubt myself.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Pittsburgh may be an anomaly, because crosby attracts a larger national audience. But I tend to remember that RDS typically pulls in bigger numbers than CBC on Saturday. But looking at the disparity in those figures, I`m starting to doubt myself.
You could be right. It didn't dawn on me that it was Pittsburgh. I think the numbers would be closer, but I'd still say that CBC would draw more than RDS.

Both RDS and CBC have idiots, but CBC has people who actually have a brain and discuss things from around the league and potential trades and such.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
You could be right. It didn't dawn on me that it was Pittsburgh. I think the numbers would be closer, but I'd still say that CBC would draw more than RDS.

Both RDS and CBC have idiots, but CBC has people who actually have a brain and discuss things from around the league and potential trades and such.
Bob Cole is so clueless I can't listen to him he doesn't know what's going on. He actually makes Pierre sound clued-in. Only a govt tv network would have an 80 year old on there doing play by play.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Johnny B Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Habs have the largest fan base for a hockey team for sure. But this might not stay the same if the team doesn't get a cup in next 3-5 years, thankfully our future is bright.

If you switch what team you cheer for because they dont win the SC within 5 years, than u might aswell just piss off! ( not talking about you ) No matter how far down the Montreal Canadiens will be, I cant cheer for another team..I can watch hockey all day long, but watching other teams doesnt give me the same feeling as watching the Canadiens.

Johnny B Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:17 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
I believe it...but I can't figure out why they have more money.....this is always the argument i get when speaking to leafs fans....i say we have more cups.....they say "we have more fans"......i say...."uh...no you dont" and they say.."more money equals bigger fanbase..haw"

what's the deal here..

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik963 View Post
If you switch what team you cheer for because they dont win the SC within 5 years, than u might aswell just piss off! ( not talking about you ) No matter how far down the Montreal Canadiens will be, I cant cheer for another team..I can watch hockey all day long, but watching other teams doesnt give me the same feeling as watching the Canadiens.
I'm not talking about fans switching allegiance, I'm talking about new fans and the new generation of hockey fans.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:34 PM
JohnLennon

It's become obvious throughout the history of the Habs that Montreal has the largest fanbase of any hockey team. How others continue to reject that based on the total size of their city baffles me.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Chet-Nick

Quote:
You were probably thinking about the playoffs a few years ago. Where English speaking Quebecers snubbed the CBC in favor of RDS.

Read this interesting article > http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...habsgames.html

Old
03-24-2013, 05:35 PM
TD74

Due to my work, I have travelled extensively throughout the world. Canadians are by far the most recognized in the world.....however, over the past 15 years,,,,teams with high profile players such as Lemieux, Ovechkin, Crosby.....younger generations are following such teams.....of course exposure such as twitter, internet, centre-ice etc....has a lot to do with this....

In the maritimes....one would think that the leafs have the biggest fan base......however, canadians lead at that as well....I was really shocked....but it is the truth.....and of course, my beloved B's are always 3rd behind those 2 teams.....

TD74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post

LA's fanbase will dry up the first year they don't make the playoffs. LA is barely a sports city, and is definitely not a hockey town.

They have the advantage of being in a city where a lot of celebrities live, so you get a lot of high profile Kings converts, but even Gretzky could only hold their attention for so long.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 06:57 PM
ClasslessGuy

play the pitts-toronto game on RDS and that stats is probably tied

ClasslessGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Dont Poke Subban
Fall is coming

Quote:

It`s the corporate support where Toronto gets the the definite edge.
Good post! That makes so much sense. I never see it that way. I have better understanding now why Leafs games are always shown on CBC.

I just wish cable companies would give us options. For example, Im from Calgary, but my CBC feed is from Montreal. This way, I can watch it in english, not that I have a problem with french. But just so I can get RDS off my cable bill.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Chet-Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
play the pitts-toronto game on RDS and that stats is probably tied
The Pittsburgh/Toronto game was coast-to-coast (CBC). Excluding Quebec. Where they were showing Montreal/Tampa Bay.

Montreal/Pittsburgh was shown nationally. This was the most practical (and only) way to compare TV viewership.

Back when the Maple Leafs could actually qualify for the playoffs. Montreal's TV numbers (CBC & RDS combined) usually overshadowed Toronto's.

Which is impressive. Considering the Habs never had the pleasure of playing a Canadian/provincial rival at the time (e.g. Toronto/Ottawa).