HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal claims Halpern on waivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2013, 02:09 PM
  #301
Kimota
Three Bananas
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Dude, shut up already! We needed a veteran 4th line center who's good on face-offs and PK duties, and we got the best one available. More Halpern means less Plekanec on the PK, get it?

Now on to our next need... Halpern and Prust are a solid 4th line duo, now we just need somebody big (who plays big) to complete the line. I know he was mentionned in a sarcastic tone, but Parros is a great locker-room presence and knows his job.
Well we had Petteri Nokelainen who was essentialy filling the same purpose as Halpern.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:11 PM
  #302
Kimota
Three Bananas
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
I'd be guessing the end of Moen. Perhaps in a trade deadline package deal. Perhaps not.
I would like that.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:20 PM
  #303
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 2,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
if our forwards are all healthy, Dumont is pretty much guaranteed to go back AHL, Halpern becomes the 13th forward. There's really no point in keeping a youngster in the stands for a long while.

And since White is injured, for now Halpern is of some use, we'll probably be see something like Moen-Halpern-Armstrong till White is OK.
As I mentioned if they intend to play Halpern instead of Dumont and White, I don’t like this move but, if they plan to give him, once everyone is healthy and as you are supposing, the #13F position... I would go from “don’t like” to “lukewarm”!

Right now, each times I read Halpern’s name, I hear echoes from last seasons softness festival. It's like a soft whispering breeze... can you hear it? PPPPYYYYaaaaattttttTT... HalpeeeeEEErrnnNN... MOOOOOOOrrrrre... CAAAMMMMPPPOOOOLiiiiiii...

Those are the building blocks of nightmares imo!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:36 PM
  #304
Analyzer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 45,000
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
As I mentioned if they intend to play Halpern instead of Dumont and White, I don’t like this move but, if they plan to give him, once everyone is healthy and as you are supposing, the #13F position... I would go from “don’t like” to “lukewarm”!

Right now, each times I read Halpern’s name, I hear echoes from last seasons softness festival. It's like a soft whispering breeze... can you hear it? PPPPYYYYaaaaattttttTT... HalpeeeeEEErrnnNN... MOOOOOOOrrrrre... CAAAMMMMPPPOOOOLiiiiiii...

Those are the building blocks of nightmares imo!
Halpern, Pyatt and Moore haven't played here in 2-3 years.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:41 PM
  #305
Corncob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Right now, each times I read Halpern’s name, I hear echoes from last seasons softness festival. It's like a soft whispering breeze... can you hear it? PPPPYYYYaaaaattttttTT... HalpeeeeEEErrnnNN... MOOOOOOOrrrrre... CAAAMMMMPPPOOOOLiiiiiii...
None of those were in Montreal last season

Edit: oh except Campoli though apparantly I've blanked that out. Probably for the best.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:46 PM
  #306
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 2,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Halpern, Pyatt and Moore haven't played here in 2-3 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
None of those were in Montreal last season

Edit: oh except Campoli though apparantly I've blanked that out. Probably for the best.
Yeah I know: this softness festival has been going on for a long time in Montreal!

Btw... it’s seasons with a “s”. You guys are so picky. Serious business.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:50 PM
  #307
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
As I mentioned if they intend to play Halpern instead of Dumont and White, I don’t like this move but, if they plan to give him, once everyone is healthy and as you are supposing, the #13F position... I would go from “don’t like” to “lukewarm”!

Right now, each times I read Halpern’s name, I hear echoes from last seasons softness festival. It's like a soft whispering breeze... can you hear it? PPPPYYYYaaaaattttttTT... HalpeeeeEEErrnnNN... MOOOOOOOrrrrre... CAAAMMMMPPPOOOOLiiiiiii...

Those are the building blocks of nightmares imo!
no need to panic...

Halpern or not, once everyone of our forward is healthy, there's no room for Dumont as a regular anyway.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:55 PM
  #308
Analyzer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 45,000
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Yeah I know: this softness festival has been going on for a long time in Montreal!

Btw... it’s seasons with a “s”. You guys are so picky. Serious business.
The way I read it was "Last season's softness festival"

Either way it problem is still here, but it's been, at least somewhat targeted with the signing of Prust.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:01 PM
  #309
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,748
vCash: 500
Add: Bourque, Prust, Halpern

Subtract: Dumont, White, and who else? No way does coach cut Moen. He likes him too much.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:13 PM
  #310
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
23 roster spots is an answer. Your grocery cart doesn't limit the size of your grocery usually. You can always get another cart. Here we can't without dropping some items. Not saying it's the best answer, but some might see it this way. You need to sacrifice a spot to play a goon.
Well, that's the only possible answer.

Besides, Tinordi will get sent down whenever Diaz is cleared to play, and I wouldn't rule out Kaberle or Weber being dealt (the latter, when he's gonna be healthy). I'm all for Tinordi staying here, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him called back for the playoffs, but he's probably gonna be sent down sooner or later.

Basically, if the Habs can get "rid" one of Weber or Kaberle, it will be a neutral move as far as roster places are concerned.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:18 PM
  #311
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Add: Bourque, Prust, Halpern

Subtract: Dumont, White, and who else? No way does coach cut Moen. He likes him too much.
no one else... Halpern or no Halpern, when Bourque and Prust are back, no room for Dumont.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:23 PM
  #312
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
no one else... Halpern or no Halpern, when Bourque and Prust are back, no room for Dumont.
Its a real possibility Bourque doesn't play another game this season. Then what?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:58 PM
  #313
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Its a real possibility Bourque doesn't play another game this season. Then what?
Actually very likely at this point.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:59 PM
  #314
Et le But
Registered User
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,466
vCash: 500
I want to go to a softness festival, sounds like fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Its a real possibility Bourque doesn't play another game this season. Then what?
Then it sucks for Bourque and also for the Habs?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:00 PM
  #315
ryanwb
Registered User
 
ryanwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 863
vCash: 500
OK guys, I've got it figured out..

We picked up Halpern, who has made Moen expendable. We didn't do it to just add depth and experience before a lengthy playoff run without losing anything off our roster, that would make too much sense.

I think we got him because we are going to package Moen, Weber plus a pick to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan. I guess they can throw in a 5th or something. Anaheim can't keep Ryan now that they signed Perry right? We all wanted Perry to come here, but let's get Ryan for 3/4 of the cap hit!!

I like it.

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:02 PM
  #316
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
Anaheim can't keep Ryan now that they signed Perry right?
Yes they can.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:05 PM
  #317
Domenic
Registered User
 
Domenic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
23 roster spots is an answer. Your grocery cart doesn't limit the size of your grocery usually. You can always get another cart. Here we can't without dropping some items. Not saying it's the best answer, but some might see it this way. You need to sacrifice a spot to play a goon.
For the moment, yes, but rosters expand (no max.) after the deadline.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:43 PM
  #318
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Its a real possibility Bourque doesn't play another game this season. Then what?
then it sucks, Halpern or no Halpern it sucks. It's not like NOT claiming him would change anything when it comes to Bourque or Bourque replacement...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:51 AM
  #319
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 2,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I want to go to a softness festival, sounds like fun.

(...)
You may want to reconsider: Jacques Martin is the DJ.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:53 AM
  #320
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,321
vCash: 50
So much overreaction for a player that will cost 300 000...

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:00 AM
  #321
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion
 
Shawn Wilken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 31,107
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
So much overreaction for a player that will cost 300 000...
And will be gone after the season is done.

We were all here at the top of the month, saying, "Damn, we need a 4th line centre that can win face-offs and play the PK. Our PK is poor this season."

We get Halpern, who offers both of those things, plays hard every night, comes cheap and is gone after this season.

Do we really need to put an emphasis on the one inch he lacks to be a 6'0 guy. You know what that's called? Reaching.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com
Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:06 AM
  #322
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 2,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
So much overreaction for a player that will cost 300 000...

If you look at it specifically, you are probably right. However this move is not the first that is leading towards a softer team.

Assuming a healthy line-up (1) there is no more room for Prust in the top 9, (2) Halpern in Montreal does have an impact on Dumont and White's (both play with more energy and toughness than Halpern) status with the team and (3) Diaz deserves to play and once he is ready, 6’6” Tinordi will probably be the one who will end up in the AHL or the press box. You can also add the way Moen is playing since his concussion: he did change his game a little... he looks more careful out there.

Both Dumont and White are doing a good job in the FO circle so I am not sure what need Halpern answers.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:31 AM
  #323
Be a Hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
I think some of you are forgetting how good Halpern was when he did play with us. Albeit he is older now but he still brings veteran leadership and a good defensive game. Winning in the playoffs is about not making any stupid mistakes like not being able to clear the puck out of our zone and winning key defensive faceoffs. Guys like dumont and white are still young and would make mistakes and would probably cost us a game in the playoff. We already have gallagher, galchenyuk, eller, emelin, diaz that are young and don't have playoff experience. They are all really good players and will be a big part of are playoff success but everything is magnified come post season and a guy like Halpern can do all the small things that will help us win

Be a Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:58 AM
  #324
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Let'S say that Team has two needs, which will be called Need X and Need Y.

Team A brings player N, who takes care of Need X.

Question : How does bringing player N means that team A won't be able to bring in player M in order to take care of Need Y?

That like, going to the grocery while having to buy milk and ham. Buying milk doesn't preclude buying ham.
Milk and Ham, that is just gross, ewww.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
As I mentioned if they intend to play Halpern instead of Dumont and White, I don’t like this move but, if they plan to give him, once everyone is healthy and as you are supposing, the #13F position... I would go from “don’t like” to “lukewarm”!

Right now, each times I read Halpern’s name, I hear echoes from last seasons softness festival. It's like a soft whispering breeze... can you hear it? PPPPYYYYaaaaattttttTT... HalpeeeeEEErrnnNN... MOOOOOOOrrrrre... CAAAMMMMPPPOOOOLiiiiiii...

Those are the building blocks of nightmares imo!
Moore was excellent for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Its a real possibility Bourque doesn't play another game this season. Then what?
Then nothing. We can't replace Bourque without giving up too much. Too bad. That's the way it goes.

Unless you want the panicatdeadlineandgiveupprospectstogetbumped anywayinthefirstroundyears back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
OK guys, I've got it figured out..

We picked up Halpern, who has made Moen expendable. We didn't do it to just add depth and experience before a lengthy playoff run without losing anything off our roster, that would make too much sense.

I think we got him because we are going to package Moen, Weber plus a pick to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan. I guess they can throw in a 5th or something. Anaheim can't keep Ryan now that they signed Perry right? We all wanted Perry to come here, but let's get Ryan for 3/4 of the cap hit!!

I like it.
So do I. So does my mom. Too bad Anaheim won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66theNBERofthebeast View Post
I think some of you are forgetting how good Halpern was when he did play with us. Albeit he is older now but he still brings veteran leadership and a good defensive game. Winning in the playoffs is about not making any stupid mistakes like not being able to clear the puck out of our zone and winning key defensive faceoffs. Guys like dumont and white are still young and would make mistakes and would probably cost us a game in the playoff. We already have gallagher, galchenyuk, eller, emelin, diaz that are young and don't have playoff experience. They are all really good players and will be a big part of are playoff success but everything is magnified come post season and a guy like Halpern can do all the small things that will help us win
Good post. Halpern costs us ZERO and may help big time. Why ***** about this? Because Dumont and White miss ice time? Wow.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:16 AM
  #325
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
If you look at it specifically, you are probably right. However this move is not the first that is leading towards a softer team.

Assuming a healthy line-up (1) there is no more room for Prust in the top 9, (2) Halpern in Montreal does have an impact on Dumont and White's (both play with more energy and toughness than Halpern) status with the team and (3) Diaz deserves to play and once he is ready, 6’6” Tinordi will probably be the one who will end up in the AHL or the press box. You can also add the way Moen is playing since his concussion: he did change his game a little... he looks more careful out there.

Both Dumont and White are doing a good job in the FO circle so I am not sure what need Halpern answers.
As usual, you are spot on.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.