HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malkin staying in Russia this year

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Pens1566

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
Yeah, because those guys = Stanley cup. Too bad the Caps already signed Brashear. And Staal isn't Crosby, so don't think he will be ready to play this year.
Where exactly did I (or any pens fan) state that those 6 new players = stanley cup?? Nice straw man though. Yeah it is too bad that the caps signed Donald. It was fun watching him avoid Cairns like the plague last season. As for Staal, didn't say he was crosby either, just correcting an inaccuracy. Points for 2 straw-men in the same post.

Old
08-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I wanted Malkin to come over so the Pens wouldn't be as bad. Now, they will still be one of the lesser teams and get yet ANOTHER high draft pick, meaning that when Malkin finally does come over, they will have one more solid top player on their team due to another high pick. Also, it would be good to see him play as well.
I have no ill will toward the Penguins, except that their fans all tend to hate the Flyers which always baffled me.

Old
08-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Touche! Nice memory!

Old
08-07-2006, 01:50 PM
CapsChemist

Mwwuuahahahahaha. O God i hate the Penguins. Cant wait for the season to start and watch Eager knock Ruutus head off. Thanks Malkin, you did the right thing. Stay in Russia forever!!!

Old
08-07-2006, 01:59 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Oddly enough I would have thought that other teams' fans, if they really had it out for the Pens, would have wanted Malkin over this year. Even with him, we were a bottom ten finisher. I am not sure who these Pens' fans are that you guys are referring to who feel otherwise but I have not met them. With Malkin delayed an extra year we likely are artifically knocked down a peg from where developmentally where we should be and finish bottom five and get a top five pick yet again. This hurts us long run how? Last year it likely got us Staal. We would not have finished in the playoffs even with Malkin, but without him? We finished second from bottom. I would bet that we left that prime top five if he were here. Add to it that he has now gone from UFA status in 2012 to 2013. If he misses this year make that 2014. All in all it sucks as I have season tickets and looked forward to the excitement that he would bring next year. But I had no illusions that we were 'there' yet even with him. Though I am disappointed, long term this is the best thing that could happen to the Pens. I am not sure why other teams are thrilled with the Pens artificially adding likely another top five pick. How is Angelo Esposito going to look on crosby's other wing from Staal in a couple of years? But enjoy what you wish to.

And how sad is that that Pittsburgh fans, who were spoiled in the early and mid 90s with competitive and Stanley Cup winning teams, actually enjoy having a team that is consistently finishing near the bottom of the league. That's something to really look forward to, knowing your team is going to tank it yet again.

Old
08-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Where exactly did I (or any pens fan) state that those 6 new players = stanley cup?? Nice straw man though. Yeah it is too bad that the caps signed Donald. It was fun watching him avoid Cairns like the plague last season. As for Staal, didn't say he was crosby either, just correcting an inaccuracy. Points for 2 straw-men in the same post.
It's called exaggeration. I used it because you make it seem like adding those guys completely overhauls the team. Also you were refuting a statement that Staal is too young to come over, so I assumed you thought he could come. If you actually try reading entire posts, you'd see that I don't wish the Pens ill will. Actually, I really hope that they stay in Pittsburgh, because I may be living there in a year.

Maybe I should try using more emoticons

Old
08-07-2006, 02:01 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
And how sad is that that Pittsburgh fans, who were spoiled in the early and mid 90s with competitive and Stanley Cup winning teams, actually enjoy having a team that is consistently finishing near the bottom of the league.
Believe me, almost none of us do.

Old
08-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
And how sad is that that Pittsburgh fans, who were spoiled in the early and mid 90s with competitive and Stanley Cup winning teams, actually enjoy having a team that is consistently finishing near the bottom of the league. That's something to really look forward to, knowing your team is going to tank it yet again.
Who is rooting for another top pick. I can see reality though. Especially if Malkin does not come. And when you have lemons you make lemonaide. It is not our choice, but you take comfort in what you can.

By the way, I take massive issue with the term 'tank' as applied to the Pens. The Pens added many 'name' players and spent money last year. The fact that it did not work out does not mean that they did not try. They absolutely did not tank. And how would Malkin staying in Russia = the Pens tanking? Do you think that the Pens want him to stay there?

As for Malkin staying? The saga turns again:

Evgeni Malkin still wants to play for the Pittsburgh Penguins as soon as possible, his agent said Monday, even though Malkin's Russian team announced the star forward has renegotiated his contract and plans to stay out of the NHL for another season.

Russian super league team Metallurg Magnitogorsk posted a story Monday on its Web site that Malkin met late into Sunday night with team officials and had reworked a three-year contract into a one-year deal that would allow him to become a free agent in 2007.

However, Malkin's agent, JP Barry, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview that Malkin told him he wants to play in the NHL this season. Malkin also has been quoted in Russia as saying he wants to play in Pittsburgh soon.

"His wish is to play in the NHL, and in Pittsburgh," Barry said. "We will continue to talk to him about his future, and we will decide the best course for him at this time."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2542025

To be honest I wish that it would just end already one way or another. Emotionally I went from Malkin, to resigning myself to it and the likely top five pick to back again. I really do not care anyone one way or another anymore as long as it resolves.

Old
08-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
We really all look forward to that. Really. We. Do.

Old
08-07-2006, 02:16 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoholyca View Post
Mwwuuahahahahaha. O God i hate the Penguins. Cant wait for the season to start and watch Eager knock Ruutus head off. Thanks Malkin, you did the right thing. Stay in Russia forever!!!
Very doubtful Eager makes the team know with the 2 wingers they have added. It would be nice though. But they have Cairns who will intimidate everyone on the Flyers and will be the deciding factor in every game the Pens beat the Flyers this year.

Old
08-07-2006, 02:19 PM
SidTheKid87

Quote:
That's something to really look forward to, knowing your team is going to tank it yet again.
Well, you guys have that first-round throttling to look forward to, which is always nice.

Old
08-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid87 View Post
Well, you guys have that first-round throttling to look forward to, which is always nice.
Maybe. Maybe not.

Old
08-07-2006, 02:41 PM
jb**

Quote:
Lets see: make the playoffs and possibly lose in the first round or be a bottom feeder for the what the 7th year in a row and not make the playoffs in a league where everyone and their mother usually does. I think I will try the first option. I forgot though the Pens have cornered the market on top 5 draft choices and just assume that all their prospects will pan out and be cup contender for 25 years in a row. Like that great thespian once said “assumption is the mother of all f#$ ups” or something like that.

Old
08-07-2006, 03:04 PM
watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck Gar View Post
Next spring the cross state rivalry is really going to heat up...with both teams on the links.
but will the pens be in Pennsylvania?

Old
08-07-2006, 03:08 PM
SidTheKid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Lets see: make the playoffs and possibly lose in the first round or be a bottom feeder for the what the 7th year in a row and not make the playoffs in a league where everyone and their mother usually does. I think I will try the first option. I forgot though the Pens have cornered the market on top 5 draft choices and just assume that all their prospects will pan out and be cup contender for 25 years in a row. Like that great thespian once said “assumption is the mother of all f#$ ups” or something like that.
I'd rather have Staal than not even show up vs. Buffalo, but that's just me.

Old
08-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Jaded-Fan

Enough with the back and forth. I really do not have an opinion on whether the Flyers make the playoffs or win a series or three. Not in this thread anyways. As for the topic, Malkin will come or will not. I can understand Flyer's fans rooting for which ever outcome is the worst for us. You all are not our favorites either. That is what sports is about. I for the life of me am not sure though which outcome 'hurts' us the most. If we were further along and actually had a shot this year, sure it would be a huge blow to lose Malkin. In reality though whether he was even enough to nudge us into the eighth slot if everything went well otherwise, we, not you guys, would be the ones likely to lose first round. The reality is even with him we likely do not make the playoffs. That is the part that I do not get though. We have sucked big time for a long long time. Likely will again for at least one more year. Why even care about us. Kind of like making fun of the crippled kid. We know what we are. Where is the sport in making fun of us? But to each his own.

Old
08-07-2006, 03:16 PM
jb**

Quote:
I'd rather have Staal than not even show up vs. Buffalo, but that's just me.
That’s what happens when you have a losing mentality. When did Stall become the be all end all type prospect. He may not even be in the NHL fo 3 years anyway, if he makes it at all. If it meant getting a Crosby could understand it more.

Old
08-07-2006, 03:31 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
That’s what happens when you have a losing mentality. When did Stall become the be all end all type prospect. He may not even be in the NHL fo 3 years anyway, if he makes it at all. If it meant getting a Crosby could understand it more.
exactly my thoughts when i read that as well

Old
08-07-2006, 03:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Closed Thread