HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's not that bad

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2003, 08:38 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
It's not that bad

This has been the most frustrating season for the Oilers in a long time. Nothing seems to be going right. The Calgary Flames are 11 points ahead of them in the standings and yet.

If you had told me some of the stuff that would happen, there is no way I would think this team would be even close playing .500 hockey. Right now they are only 3 games under.

1. Nearing the midseason point, the Oilers number 1 goalie Tommy Salo has a Goals Against Average of 3.32. That makes Grant Fuhr's numbers from the eighties look good.

2. The Oilers number #1 center Mike Comrie, held out and has since been traded for futures.

3. The Oilers number #1 defensemen Eric Brewer sucked for the first 2 months of the season. It looks like he is finally returning to form.

4. The special teams. The Oilers special teams are brutal and yet. Over the course of an entire season, it's hard to imagine they can stay this bad for much longer. Their Powerplay is 29th with 10.5%(1 in every 10).
Their Penalty Kill is even worse at 30th in the league at 73.8%. To move up to 28th in the league, the Oilers would have to kill 53 straight penalties.

5. Without their top centermen from the previous year. The Oilers could not win a faceoff if their life depended on it. That too is starting to turn around, a major cause of that being Adam Oates.

6. The Oilers have 8 key players on their team that are in their first or second season in the league. (Pisani, Conklin, Hemsky, Bergeron, Semenov, Stoll, Chimera, Torres) Right now I believe the Oilers have a 22 man roster. That means over 36% of their team is new to the NHL.

No matter what happens, the Oilers look pretty good for the present and future. Even with all that has happened, the Oilers are only a 5 game winning streak away from being in the playoffs.

In the future, our defense looks like it will be amazing with Brewer, Semenov and Bergeron already in the NHL and young defensemen Doug Lynch and Jeff Wowitka waiting in the wings. That's a pretty damn good core if you ask me(I never thought I'd be saying this when the season started).

Our offense has some excellent building blocks as well. Hemsky will be a player. I love Yorks game. Torres too. With young guys like Pouliot and Niinimaki among other prospects developing. I have high hopes for the future.

Our goaltending is the biggest question mark. However, Conklin is looking like he might be capable of becoming a #1 in the league. And after watching Deslauriers in the WJC camp, my hopes for him have skyrocketed. IMO he has amazing skills, reflexs, it looked like he just needs to improve his technique(rebound control stood out the most)

Last edited by elphy101: 12-23-2003 at 08:48 PM.
Old
12-23-2003, 09:16 PM
deathbear

i hate to rain on your parade, but every team looks promising on paper.

its always the funniest during training camp...i remember canuck fans were saying some guys were gonna crack the team and be 20 goal scorers...turned out they were immediately dropped to the echl.

i just know that if i were an oiler fan, id be tired of hearing "were building for the future" because it seems to me anyway, whenever your future is ready they have to be traded for salary reasons. a terrible shame really.

Old
12-23-2003, 09:27 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Actually, it IS that bad. Mostly because of the amount of threads that have been entitled "do not panic" and "it's not that bad".

That's a clear sign that is in fact, Fuglily (new word) horrendous out there right now. So much under-performance hasn't been concentrated in that size group of people since Kerry Wood and Mark Prior along with the rest of their squad choked against the Marlins. Of course, they're the Cubs, they've got an excuse.....

Old
12-23-2003, 10:37 PM
Walsher

Every team has great prospects on their roster now or in the wings waiting. To me the more telling stats are the overall standings for AHL teams. Frankly the Oilers farm club is one of the shallowest and weakest teams in the league. Everyone else has prospects and as much as I love the Oilers I think they are not as deep as people are believing.

Old
12-23-2003, 11:15 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
So much under-performance hasn't been concentrated in that size group of people since Kerry Wood and Mark Prior along with the rest of their squad choked against the Marlins. Of course, they're the Cubs, they've got an excuse.....
That's what I mean. The Oilers will be fine. At least our team is not held back by the curse of the Billy Goat(Cubs) or the curse of the Bambino(Red Sox). We still won a cup after trading Gretzky.

Besides, this drought seems so insignificant when compared to the two aforementioned teams. Even with how bad things are going and assuming we miss the playoffs this year, the Oilers have still made the playoff in 5 of the last 7 playoffs. We still have a ways to go before we reach the 70+ year championship droughts that the above teams have experienced.

On a side not, I would highly recommend that Oilers fans start cheering for the Stars. Because if Dallas is in the playoffs, we will be playing them in the 1st round.

Old
12-23-2003, 11:20 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Every team has great prospects on their roster now or in the wings waiting. To me the more telling stats are the overall standings for AHL teams. Frankly the Oilers farm club is one of the shallowest and weakest teams in the league. Everyone else has prospects and as much as I love the Oilers I think they are not as deep as people are believing.
I would tend to disagree with that. AHL standings do not represent the quality of your prospects. The good AHL teams are made up of veterans not rookies. The Oilers farm team is made up almost entirely of young players, a big chunk are experiencing pro hockey for the first time.

I think the Oilers do have some significant young potential impact players. Hemsky iwill be one. Semenov will be one. Brewer is already one. Wowitka and Lynch look like they could become high quality players as well. That's a pretty solid foundation on defense. They definitely need a Blue Chip offensive #1 center(COmrie would look good there), but hopefully one of Pouliot and Niinimaki will pan out.

Old
12-24-2003, 07:43 AM
Mizral

I am a huge Lynch fan, but in all honesty, I doubt he becomes an impact player, even to the level of a Steve Staios right now. I hope he makes the NHL, but if he does, it'll probobly be as a #5 or #6 guy. In fact, I'm a pretty big fan of the entire Lynch family. Maybe they'll be the next 'Sutter' family?

Old
12-24-2003, 08:21 AM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I am a huge Lynch fan, but in all honesty, I doubt he becomes an impact player, even to the level of a Steve Staios right now. I hope he makes the NHL, but if he does, it'll probobly be as a #5 or #6 guy. In fact, I'm a pretty big fan of the entire Lynch family. Maybe they'll be the next 'Sutter' family?
That's fair. I don't see him as a top 2 guy either but I think he could make a solid 4th defensemen behind Brewer, Semenov and Wowitka.

Closed Thread