HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Its Official

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2003, 06:11 PM
Meanashell11

vCash: 500
Its Official

Oates really sucks. This guy has 12 games and 2 points. I really think the only thing he adds is winning face offs. Where are all the slick assists we were looking forward to. He seems to be going through the motions and nothing more. I personally am disappointed. We should expt more from this guy.

Old
12-23-2003, 06:27 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11
Oates really sucks. This guy has 12 games and 2 points. I really think the only thing he adds is winning face offs. Where are all the slick assists we were looking forward to. He seems to be going through the motions and nothing more. I personally am disappointed. We should expt more from this guy.
My butt is planted firmly on the Oates bus still.

I've been wrong before, but I feel by the trade deadline their won't be many regrets about his stay here. This whole team is in the tank right now. Lately more so up front. And Adam is in there with them.

Old
12-23-2003, 06:30 PM
Meanashell11

about the only way there wont be any regrets is if we can trade him for a pick at the deadline. Seriously, have you ever seen him win a battle for the puck. Mr. Periphery is his new name.

Old
12-23-2003, 06:35 PM
Allan

I saw him win several just tonight.

Old
12-23-2003, 06:40 PM
Walsher

I agree to a point. IMO the Oilers couldn't put the puck in the ocean from Daytona Beach. They refuse to get the ugly garbage goals. Absolutely zero shots from the point are getting through when traffic is building and the battles along the boards are all being lost. This team looks as lost as ever. No chemistry, no confidence, no desperation (at least until it is too late). This was the stretch of games that was going to make or break the season. So far break. I still think Oates is a great player and I think he will contribute. The problem is nobody can score. He is a playmaker. He had Hull, Nealy, Jagr, Karyia. Now he has Torres, Dvorak, Smyth. The quality is not even close. Even Gretzky would look average on this team right now. Frustration has hit a new high. At least until Saturday. In Vancouver - that out to be pretty fun. Getting close to the point of no return.

Old
12-23-2003, 06:50 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
I agree to a point. IMO the Oilers couldn't put the puck in the ocean from Daytona Beach. They refuse to get the ugly garbage goals. Absolutely zero shots from the point are getting through when traffic is building and the battles along the boards are all being lost. This team looks as lost as ever. No chemistry, no confidence, no desperation (at least until it is too late). This was the stretch of games that was going to make or break the season. So far break. I still think Oates is a great player and I think he will contribute. The problem is nobody can score. He is a playmaker. He had Hull, Nealy, Jagr, Karyia. Now he has Torres, Dvorak, Smyth. The quality is not even close. Even Gretzky would look average on this team right now. Frustration has hit a new high. At least until Saturday. In Vancouver - that out to be pretty fun. Getting close to the point of no return.

Ovechkin and Crosby...HERE WE COME!

Honestly, I have been expecting this since we traded Niiminaa. They had these stretches when they were a good team. Now they aren't.

This team wasn't made to make the playoffs. It was made to come out of the CBA negotiations on it's feet....running.

1) To a new location if the CBA doesn't fix the small market problems. The team is cheap and has lots of potential. The Oiler owners will recover most of their investment.

2) With revenue sharing (hopefully) the Oilers will be able to keep the good players out this crop for years to come. Developing a large core of guys who will learn and grow together into a winner

Playoffs are just icing on top of good player development.

Old
12-23-2003, 06:53 PM
GorillazXL

This game was dreadful to watch :mad: Salo looked awkward at best in net... there were plenty of shots but never the determination to hussle for the rebounds, and the point shot... can we not hit the net???? it sickens me to see it go into the boards, and corels off the boards and over to the otherside and out of the offensive zone.... Roger Millions is %$^^#* moron, I'm glad he never lasted in Edmonton, every chance he got he took a shot at the Edmonton team, probally cos Gene Principe beat him to the job as the face of the Oilers. The highlight of the game was definately the play of Jason Smith, ever since about mid point of last season, he's been terific for the Oilers, he's all heart, wish some of that heart could go into Salo, who really needs something to shake him out of this terrible funk.

GXL

Old
12-23-2003, 07:00 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ
Ovechkin and Crosby...HERE WE COME!

Honestly, I have been expecting this since we traded Niiminaa. They had these stretches when they were a good team. Now they aren't.

This team wasn't made to make the playoffs. It was made to come out of the CBA negotiations on it's feet....running.

1) To a new location if the CBA doesn't fix the small market problems. The team is cheap and has lots of potential. The Oiler owners will recover most of their investment.

2) With revenue sharing (hopefully) the Oilers will be able to keep the good players out this crop for years to come. Developing a large core of guys who will learn and grow together into a winner

Playoffs are just icing on top of good player development.
Frankly I think this team is capabl;e of making the playoffs and having a good run. IMO this is a better team that last years and for the last few years. More balance - less production. Underachievers playing with no emotion. Jason Smith was the only player who looked like he was at a Battle of Alberta. The other, emotionless (with the exception of maybe Dvorak and York). This is a serious funk. This is also a good group of players. I don't think Lowe has sunk to the level of hanging on until a CBA that will never accomplish what everyone in Edmonton wants it to. WHy would he have signed Oates? This team is so much better than it is showing. It is embarrassing as a fan to watch the same story unfold night after night. 40 shots - most low quality, hardly any dangerous chances and absolutely brutal drive to get rebounds. You watch Calgary - no talent with the exception of a couple, but every guy is fighting for the puck like it was the playoffs. Winning battles, scoring goals they have no right scoring, and winning games. This is what is making them look so good and the oilers so bad. Edmonton has the personnel, they don't have the heart or drive.

Old
12-23-2003, 07:12 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

that about sums it up, no heart or desire two componets a winning team must have. if you think this team can make the playoffs without these your living in a world of make believe. this was once a team that had a lot of pride and was willing to do whatever it took to win, teams feared us. now we are a joke and honestly right now i cant see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Old
12-23-2003, 07:18 PM
Walsher

Look at the grinders the oilers have lost that IMO have hurt more than the loss ofany star. Rem Murray, Mike Grier, Todd Marchant, Janne Niniimaa, Mats Lindgren, etc. Low profile guys that always seemed to do a job in big games. Muckers are always effective, they may not score, but they provide energy, and spark. This team has nobody willing to sacrifice for the benefit of the team. They have a premier fighter that doesn't fight, an agitator (Torres) that hasn't agitated, grinders (Pisani, Chimera, Horcoff, Smyth) that don't grind. No one is doing thier job. The players look like they are going to be given games gift wrapped that they don't have to work for. When was the last time the Oilers had a 2 goal lead? I can't remember. They have no desire. The guys that provide that drive, that spark, that intensity, are no where to be found. Embarrassing.

Old
12-24-2003, 05:07 AM
Meanashell11

Did anyone else here the comment last night that " given the persoal issues facing Salo, he has not let that completely ruin his game". I heard once before about Salo and his wife having problems but then heard no more. Does anyone have any more info on this? Sort of sounds like Brodeur last year in the playoffs.

Old
12-24-2003, 08:21 AM
Master Lok

Why did Lowe sign Oates?

Easy. Because Lowe wants to win. Oates has a proven record of accomplishment across every single one of his teams. How can you accuse Lowe of only thinking of post CBA and hint that he's not interested in the current product, and then not understand why Oates was signed. Adam Oates was signed in order to improve the current product. The fact that he's not getting it done is not Lowe's fault. Nearly every poster agreed that, at the time, signing Oates was a great job by Lowe. Now its just whether or not Oates can find someone (anyone!) on this team with whom he can develop some chemistry with.

Closed Thread