HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What's Your Pre-Game Rituals or Superstitions?

Old
03-22-2013, 04:26 PM
TheSkatingDead

vCash: 500
What's Your Pre-Game Rituals or Superstitions?

Mine are... having a waffle and maple peanut butter sandwich 1-2 hrs before the game, re-taping my stick (blade), not crossing the red line once warm ups start and tucking in my jersey all around.

What's yours?

TheSkatingDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:34 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
I only tuck in my left side. I usually never tape my stick the same way as before. Always stretch, then shoot. I don't know how other guys shoot a couple, and then stretch. I literally do not touch the puck until I'm done stretching and skating for a bit. Once I touch the puck, I stick handle mostly, take a couple of wristers and snap shots. Feed and receive a couple of one timers(usually with my D partner). Then close out with a few backhands to see if I got it, that night, haha. Food wise, I try to not eat beforehand unless it's like fruits or chocolate(weird, I know). I'm not into the pregame meals. I always feel sluggish if I eat before hand. I usually only drink water. Oh, and most of the time I actually never put tape on the bottom of my blade, it seems to last longer and I'm lazy. Or once I'm done taping, I'll put on piece for the bottom, and just replace it.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Ozz

Used to have some rituals, now we only get 3 minutes tops to hit the rink and get going prior to puck drop. I do a couple sprints, take a knee and a few one-legged split squats for a nice warmup, and rip a few at our goalie or empty net if he's stretching. Not all of that happens every single time anymore, but usually that's the way it goes.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:56 PM
CoopALoop

Goalie Time:

As for pre-rink Rituals: Very little to none other than showing up an hour early.

Dressing room: Get dressed at the 30 min before the game mark
- But on all lowers, do a quick stretch in the dressing room
- Put on my gloves and place them between my legs and start visualizing shots from all angles

Warm up: Put the pegs in my self
-Stretching routine
- Practice recoveries
- head to the net, take my shots

Between warm up and puck drop:
-Stand 6" out from crease and stare at the ice. Visualize shots and pep-talk
- Look up at visualize the net getting smaller and smaller and how much bigger I am than it
- Tap the cross bar with my glove, left post with my stick
- clean crease
- Game time.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:16 PM
TheeNorthStar

Get to the Rink about an hour early:

Basically pull all my equipment out of the bag and lay it out nicely in the same spot/the far corner of any locker room we're in. I always bring my sticks with. I never leave them anywhere.

Retape the balde of my primary stick (Black tape, Puck, Wax) In the locker room or while watching whoever is on the ice at the time practicing or playing while i retape the blade. And just hang out while i do that.

Stretch a little.

Begin to put on my equip in this order.
Jock, Socks, pants, skates, shins, pull sock over & tape it, chest, elbows, jersey, helmet.

Stretch a little more right before we hit the ice.

And i always wear the same hat to the rink and while i do all of this. Oh and i always have to remind myself to piss before i go out there.

As for the jersey, i dont tuck it but it ALWAYS manages to tuck itself (back tuck), i like it that way, its natural haha

Pretty much it.

Last edited by TheeNorthStar: 03-22-2013 at 08:24 PM.
TheeNorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:06 AM
mantis toboggan

I always make sure to take a pregame **** about an hour before the game. I also drink alot of water

mantis toboggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Greasy Sliders

-once I tape my sticks, the tape can't touch the ground untill I hit the ice.

-put my equipment on in same order every time

-always do all of my equipment left to right.

-same stretch routine while on ice

I don't really know how these started, I'm just too scared to change them now.

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:44 PM
brom7

To not have one. I don't know why, but it works for me.

I guess if I had to say something I'd say that I put my skates on before my pants, but that's pretty common, I've been doing it my entire life.

brom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Shaun Bisson

Hour before I go to the bathroom and open a lemon lime Gatorade.

Tape both sticks (white tape with wax)

Spandex goes on, bottoms first and then top.

Skate socks (right first then left). Then right shin pad, left shin pad. Right sock, left sock. Pants. Right skate, tape my right sock (sock goes over the tongues of my skates). Left skate, tape my right sock. Get up and leave the room till about 10 minutes till game time. Open up a blue Gatorade and then right elbow pad, left elbow pad, shoulder pads, jersey, bucket, right glove, left glove.

As for actual warm ups, as long as I'm first on the ice and behind the goalie, I don't really have anything specific I need to do other than hit both posts and the crossbar with snap shots.

Shaun Bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Geo73

Starbucks grande caramel latte, sit in the same stall in locker room and get dressed the same way each time. Right to left. It's more just how I do it subconsciously, if I accidentally get the left side on first I don't take it off to restart.

Geo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:24 PM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

Get to the rink two hours early with my food, eat while I tape my stick (shaft then blade.)

Dress early, so that I have time to listen to three songs. (This year, it was Train by A$AP Rocky, Seven Nation Army (Glitch Mob Remix) by the White Stripes, then Play by Avicii.) Always dress left side first. Stretch in the dressing room hallway so that I can take as many shots as possible in warmies. Don't shoot for the first five minutes, make sure my first goal in warmies is five hole. Don't talk to anyone during warmies.

That's basically it.

sunsoutgunsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Vip
Rieder Support Team

Always tie my right skate before my left. ALWAYS.

Love hearing everyones supersitions.

Last edited by Vip: 03-23-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:23 PM
robmneilson

I usually sacrifice a small animal to one of the elder gods (or a human if its playoff time), and then head to the rink. There I tape my stick, put on my left skate first always, and make sure to remember to go to the bathroom before I get all of my gear put on.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:33 PM
balnky19*

last on the ice never leave my sticks

balnky19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:54 PM
bp spec

I sit at the same spot in the locker room. I always jogg and do the same excersises before putting on my gear. Right skate first but tie the left first. After that, it's left to right. When we get to warm ups on the ice I always do the drills the same way.

Always get off the ice when the clock shows 16.16. Then I tape my stick, always starting from the toe, and I tape my wrists. When it's game time a have a special pattern I need to skate when stepping on the ice, then head to the bench and drink three mouths of water while waiting for the refs.

When the ref comes out and blows his whistle I have an other pattern that I need to skate before the team gathers at our net. I always stand behind the net. When we are done there, I have to go through my third and last pattern and then I'm ready to go, depending on if I'm the one taking the opening face off. I don't think I can explain in English what I have to do, if that's the case.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Thesensation19

Day of the game I try my best to get a good sleep, eat right and drink lots of water. Even before I head out to the game I try to warm and keep warm, stretch and even try to mess around with my equipment and try a lil stick handling.

I try to eat right before the game. Peanut butter jelly sandwich with a banana is prefer.

I head out to my game. try to make it early enough where I can warm up again and stretch more. I try to get my head in the game with some quiet time. Get amped, focus on what I need to do for the game and what will help my team the best.

I need to get out there on the ice early so I can prep properly and fix anything on last minute.

I love Crosbys game day rituals. You can see on Youtube

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:19 PM
ean

Get to the rink about 5 mins before puck drop. Find out I tore the tape off my stick blade after the last game and need to retape. Miss warmups. Play hockey.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:57 PM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Get to the rink about 5 mins before puck drop. Find out I tore the tape off my stick blade after the last game and need to retape. Miss warmups. Play hockey.
I've played with a handful of guys that would show up 2 mins before the game, I've done that once and felt out of sync all night.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:52 PM
Vip
Rieder Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
I've played with a handful of guys that would show up 2 mins before the game, I've done that once and felt out of sync all night.
I have found out that I actually play a lot better when I am completely relaxed and care free. So sometimes I show up 10 mins before puck drop and just stay loose and relax and joke with the guys. Love wearing shorts/sandals to the rink also (in the summer time).

Don't really understand how guys can go to the rink an hour early, put the headphones on, get all psyched out... just doesnt work for me. I over think things. Just K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:53 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
Always tie my right skate before my left. ALWAYS.

Love hearing everyones supersitions.
I do the opposite. Left skate, shin guard, and elbow pad go on first.

Gloves I don't really care about. Left skate goes on ice first for the first time I step on the ice (other times I'm doing a line change and I just hop over the boards and don't worry about it).

I also always bring a 32 oz. bottle of Gatorade to the rink and drink half of it before the game and the other half afterwards.

Primrose Everdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:58 AM
SkateThroughIt

I have to take a couple shots before the game. That's the only consistent ritual. If time permits I'll take a pregame nap sometimes. It's funny because I'm superstitous, just never got into the whole pregame one.

SkateThroughIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:54 AM
Fanned On It

Only thing I can think of is that I tie my left skate first. I always prefer to have some sort of warm-up... meaning wrist shots/snap shots on either the empty net or our goalie... but I don't always have time and sometimes the refs cut the warm-up short because our games can start pretty late.

Definitely don't stretch... ever. I've actually read that it makes you MORE likely to get injured? Not sure if this is true, though.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:15 AM
RedWinger10

Retaping and wax my sick blade, tie my left skate first, stretch and shoot before the game starts.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:41 PM
gosinger

Get home from work, pack the bag, 20 minute power-nap with Binaureal beats to relax and gain energy (last 5 minutes are different frequency to wake me back up), then creatine and a banana, then heading out to the rink.

No superstitions about putting on gear though

gosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I really have none. I re-tape my stick at home before games, that's about it. I like fresh tape. Otherwise I'll show up 5 minutes late or 20 minutes early, no difference. I don't like getting there too early though, I have nothing to do.

In warmups I take 1-2 slow laps...maybe. Mostly I stickhandle and shoot. Want to get a feel for the puck.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote