HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visiting Eastern Canada

Old
03-24-2013, 01:29 PM
RingWraith

vCash: 500
Visiting Eastern Canada

Hello all. In June I will be venturing to Eastern Canada for the first time since a one week stay in Ottawa 11 years ago. Unfortunately the Maple Leafs boards have been beyond useless for suggestions. The moderators just stuff any and all inquiries in to the General Lounge thread which is flooded with idle banter which buries any serious posts. Misguided and pathetic. The Canadiens boards seem oddly unresponsive. So I'm tossing it on here in hope some of my fellow Westerners have some migrant experience. Any help will be majorly appreciated!

We'll be driving and hitting up Toronto and Montreal as the focus of our trip with day trips planned to Niagara Falls, Ottawa and Quebec city respectively. Unfortunately we don't have a whole lot of time, so I think we'll only be in each major city for 2 or 3 days. Will probably hit up a Blue Jays game, the HHOF, and Canada's Wonderland in Toronto. I have general admission tickets to the Grand Prix in Montreal on June 9th. But I'm looking for other suggestions of things to do and see during our brief visits. Looking for intensive, very "Toronto" and "Montreal" type experiences.

RingWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWraith View Post
Hello all. In June I will be venturing to Eastern Canada for the first time since a one week stay in Ottawa 11 years ago. Unfortunately the Maple Leafs boards have been beyond useless for suggestions. The moderators just stuff any and all inquiries in to the General Lounge thread which is flooded with idle banter which buries any serious posts. Misguided and pathetic. The Canadiens boards seem oddly unresponsive. So I'm tossing it on here in hope some of my fellow Westerners have some migrant experience. Any help will be majorly appreciated!

We'll be driving and hitting up Toronto and Montreal as the focus of our trip with day trips planned to Niagara Falls, Ottawa and Quebec city respectively. Unfortunately we don't have a whole lot of time, so I think we'll only be in each major city for 2 or 3 days. Will probably hit up a Blue Jays game, the HHOF, and Canada's Wonderland in Toronto. I have general admission tickets to the Grand Prix in Montreal on June 9th. But I'm looking for other suggestions of things to do and see during our brief visits. Looking for intensive, very "Toronto" and "Montreal" type experiences.
If you have kids or just enjoy animals I'd suggest African Lion Safari and or Marine Land. African Lion Safari is the better of the two though. Go to a weekday afternoon Jays game if at all possible (way easier to get good seats). And usually you can catch a solid play that has moved off Broadway in Toronto. Over the years when I've been there I've caught The Lion King, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and Les Mis.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:42 PM
DisgruntledGoat

That's not Eastern Canada. That's central Canada.

DisgruntledGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:57 PM
RingWraith

Thanks, molsonmuscle360, that's a great idea about the stage plays, I hadn't thought about it. I will look in to what's on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
That's not Eastern Canada. That's central Canada.
Not going to argue semantics with you. If you have any suggestions I'd be grateful.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:21 PM
H-Bear

Do you have kids?

H-Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:27 PM
timekeep

When in Montreal and Quebec city check out the old parts. They are over 300 yrs old, awesome history. If no kids check out St. Catherines street in Montreal. Check the festivals in all the cities ahead of time, Just for Laughs, Jazz, etc. The Chateau Frontenac in Old Quebec city is full of history and they have Whale watching too.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Six in O6

The Montreal board has a great thread on stuff to do. I drove up to Montreal recently and took a few things from there, most of it was gameday related but there are some tourist things. Definitely worth checking out and they are all really friendly. The Oratory is (mostly?) free, and in the summer Mount Royal/McGill is worth checking out since they've got some of the best "park" networks in the city.

I also did the hockey hall of fame in Toronto this year when I was there for the Grey Cup. It's good for the kids, but the trophy room is really worth the price of admission. It is a bit expensive, around 15 bucks a pop? Also, it's right downtown which can either be convenient or inconvenient depending on your situation.

I also went to a Jays game in September. Avoid parking nearby and if you want to have the hot dog experience, they are 2 dollars outside the SkyDome and about 10x that inside. Beer is about 10 bucks a pop also.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:53 PM
gpearson1968

vCash: 450
If you get to Montreal, you HAVE to have a smoked meat sammich or two :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoked_meat

da bomb diggity

gpearson1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Concur with gpearson...

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Peter Zezel

vCash: 0
Yep Schwartz and au pied du cochon are two must eats in montreal

Peter Zezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:21 PM
RingWraith

No worries fellas, I will get my sammich fix in Montreal. Really looking forward to all sorts of good food. Unfortunately I will miss the Jazz Fest and Just for Laughs, but hopefully my first Formula 1 experience will be a good one. I can only imagine the noise. Heh. Little worried about accommodation that weekend.

The whole point of going to Quebec City is for the old stuff. I'll never see anything like that in the West.

And negative, I do not have kids. Will be traveling with a small group of friends.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:26 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
No worries fellas, I will get my sammich fix in Montreal. Really looking forward to all sorts of good food. Unfortunately I will miss the Jazz Fest and Just for Laughs, but hopefully my first Formula 1 experience will be a good one. I can only imagine the noise. Heh. Little worried about accommodation that weekend.

The whole point of going to Quebec City is for the old stuff. I'll never see anything like that in the West.

And negative, I do not have kids. Will be traveling with a small group of friends.
The Toronto Brewery tour is neat. http://www.beerloverstour.com/toronto.html

Likewise, the Niagara Wine tours are a good time. http://niagaravintagewinetours.com/

Casa Loma in Toronto, if you are a history buff ... http://www.casaloma.org/

The Space Centre in Montreal was fun when I was there last. http://www.cosmodome.org/

Old
03-24-2013, 06:18 PM
bombers15

If you only have a day in Ottawa, it's pretty straightforward. Free tour of Parliament, walk around the canal and locks, and check out the Market area. For museums, the War Museum and the Museum of Civilization are the best (the Museum of Civilization also has the best view of Ottawa). The National Art Gallery, the Museum of Nature and the Mint can also be quite interesting. It's almost easier to just ditch a car and then walk around downtown all day.

Niagara Falls is good to see, but hella crowded. Niagara-on-the-Lake is a really quaint town if you have the time.

In Montreal, just eat. Honestly. Poutine, smoked meat and crepes. And obviously tour around Old Montreal. Quebec City is even better for the old parts. Really cool city. Again, the food is great.

I don't know how to kill a few days in Toronto. HHOF obviously. And you could go to Wayne Gretzky's restaurant too.

bombers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:29 PM
RingWraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
If you only have a day in Ottawa, it's pretty straightforward. Free tour of Parliament, walk around the canal and locks, and check out the Market area. For museums, the War Museum and the Museum of Civilization are the best (the Museum of Civilization also has the best view of Ottawa). The National Art Gallery, the Museum of Nature and the Mint can also be quite interesting. It's almost easier to just ditch a car and then walk around downtown all day.
Yeah it's looking like we'll only have the time for one day in Ottawa but I think that's all we need. Parliament, one Museum, plus some wandering will fill a day nicely.

Quote:
In Montreal, just eat. Honestly. Poutine, smoked meat and crepes. And obviously tour around Old Montreal. Quebec City is even better for the old parts. Really cool city. Again, the food is great.
Aye aye. Can't wait to sample Montreal's eats.

Old
03-24-2013, 07:47 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Yeah it's looking like we'll only have the time for one day in Ottawa but I think that's all we need. Parliament, one Museum, plus some wandering will fill a day nicely.

Aye aye. Can't wait to sample Montreal's eats.
The smoked meat is second to none there. If you want to go for ribs, a place just off of St. Catherines, Bar-B-Barn, is full of nostalgia. Pictures of the Old Habs in there all over the walls. Warning, it is an old place, but worth the experience.

http://www.barbbarn.ca/

Old Quebec City has some of the best pubs in the Nation too.

Ottawa has the most museums in the country too.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:09 PM
H-Bear

Hit the Jazz clubs in Montreal. Be prepared for hefty prices, but the atmosphere and music is fantastic.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:09 PM
pox

vCash: 767
Send a message via MSN to pox
Beaver Tails in Ottawa

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:10 PM
syder

1000 islands

syder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:16 PM
RingWraith

I fully intend on going through the Thousand Islands area on the drive between Toronto and Montreal.