HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: New CFL TV deal covers most of player costs

Old
03-24-2013, 05:47 PM
blueandgoldguy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Why should they? They make more money being Pay-TV-only. I don't watch that much TV, so what I can get OTA is sufficient for me, and I don't bother with cable or Fibe. The last CFL game I watched at home was the 2007 Grey Cup. However, the cable deal is lucrative enough that my lost viewership doesn't matter. Between TSN and RSN (their French language version) they get a ton of viewers. E.g. for the most recent Grey Cup (2012) http://ctvmedia.ca/tsn/releases/rele...5871&yyyy=2012
Putting the Grey Cup on CTV would probably net them a few extra hundred thousand viewers meaning more advertising revenue in the future.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:56 PM
DyerMaker66

CFL needs to return to CBC yesterday.

DyerMaker66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:03 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Yes, so they can be less successful

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:20 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Ew. CBC was why they were on their death bed. TSN is the ESPN of Canada. They can generate hype like no other sports network in Canada can. Plus the CFL wants to attract more young viewers. CBC is not the way to do that. People reluctantly turn on CBC for HNiC, but aside from that, most youth would never flip the channel to CBC.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:21 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Putting the Grey Cup on CTV would probably net them a few extra hundred thousand viewers meaning more advertising revenue in the future.
TSN, with their Pay-TV subscription revenues, can offer more money than an OTA broadcast contract.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:27 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Ew. CBC was why they were on their death bed. TSN is the ESPN of Canada. They can generate hype like no other sports network in Canada can. Plus the CFL wants to attract more young viewers. CBC is not the way to do that. People reluctantly turn on CBC for HNiC, but aside from that, most youth would never flip the channel to CBC.
Yep, CBC just did not devote the time to the CFL the way TSN has. A consistent CFL panel with good hosts, proper pre-game shows, and great coverage daily on Sportscentre s are just things the CBC had no chance of doing.

Last edited by cutchemist42: 03-25-2013 at 10:05 AM.
cutchemist42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:44 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post

I don't "reluctantly" turn on CBC for anything: I reluctantly turn on TSN to watch their B-grade hockey broadcasts that come nowhere near CBC's. No one generates hypes like HNiC: They're what TSN aspires to be.

Yes, I'd much rather watch ESPN-North spend 7 hours slobbering on the Buds and their trading of Dave Steckel for Ryan Lasch and a seventh-round pick.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:51 AM
gmyx

Quote:

I don't "reluctantly" turn on CBC for anything: I reluctantly turn on TSN to watch their B-grade hockey broadcasts that come nowhere near CBC's. No one generates hypes like HNiC: They're what TSN aspires to be.
Watch a non-leafs game and you'll see CBC is the worst. I find TSN to be okay, much better since Pierre moved, their intermissions MUCH better than CBC. Sportsnet does an great job play-by-play (minus Denis on the sens broadcast - shutup Denis and let the other do his job!) but find the intermissions to be boring. As for hype, TSN hands down.

gmyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:32 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmyx View Post
Watch a non-leafs game and you'll see CBC is the worst. I find TSN to be okay, much better since Pierre moved, their intermissions MUCH better than CBC. Sportsnet does an great job play-by-play (minus Denis on the sens broadcast - shutup Denis and let the other do his job!) but find the intermissions to be boring. As for hype, TSN hands down.
I only watch non-Leafs games on CBC. The Oilers, Canucks and Jets games look awesome on CBC.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
I only watch non-Leafs games on CBC. The Oilers, Canucks and Jets games look awesome on CBC.
Canucks have perhaps the most biased announcer on TV today on CBC (and I am including home broadcasters), probably helps them. Makes games all but unwatchable for non Canuck fans however.

Jets broadcasts are absolute **** on CBC. a) We don't get the HD truck. CBC only has 3, and they never ever comes to Winnipeg, since 1 is in Toronto, 1 goes Ottawa to Montreal and other only travels EDM-CGY-VAN. b)We always get their "D" announcers, and their "A" crew over there is absolute garbage nowadays, nevermind their "D" crew. c)We get screwed hard with start times. 6pm on Fridays! People work. 2pm on Saturdays, we do not have ONE single Saturday night start in Winnipeg. For stupid CBC.

Not too mention they have an ignorant old man that has zero clue about the game of hockey first intermission, the worst music ever for pregame music (seriously who chooses that stuff), and overall just boring broadcasts.

I really hope CBC loses hockey altogether.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:42 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Canucks have perhaps the most biased announcer on TV today on CBC (and I am including home broadcasters), probably helps them. Makes games all but unwatchable for non Canuck fans however.
Hughson is the bomb and I'm no Canucks fan.

Quote:
Jets broadcasts are absolute **** on CBC. a) We don't get the HD truck. CBC only has 3, and they never ever comes to Winnipeg, since 1 is in Toronto, 1 goes Ottawa to Montreal and other only travels EDM-CGY-VAN. b)We always get their "D" announcers, and their "A" crew over there is absolute garbage nowadays, nevermind their "D" crew.
I enjoy listening to Mark Lee; he's better than 90 per cent of the league, imo.

Quote:
c)We get screwed hard with start times. 6pm on Fridays! People work. 2pm on Saturdays, we do not have ONE single Saturday night start in Winnipeg. For stupid CBC.
They've ensured my viewership by doing this (though I'd prefer a later start too): I literally have nothing else to watch on Friday nights.

Quote:
Not too mention they have an ignorant old man that has zero clue about the game of hockey first intermission, the worst music ever for pregame music (seriously who chooses that stuff), and overall just boring broadcasts.

Cherry is lolz.

I agree with you about the music; I really wish they'd just bust out the Stompin' Tom.

I really don't get what you find boring about their broadcasts: Their great production values? The lolzy Grapes? The best journalist in the game(save for maybe Brunt)?
Their intros that actually draw the viewer in?

No, I'd much rather watch "The Quiz": That really draws my attention.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Jets broadcasts are absolute **** on CBC. a) We don't get the HD truck. CBC only has 3, and they never ever comes to Winnipeg, since 1 is in Toronto, 1 goes Ottawa to Montreal and other only travels EDM-CGY-VAN. b)We always get their "D" announcers, and their "A" crew over there is absolute garbage nowadays, nevermind their "D" crew. c)We get screwed hard with start times. 6pm on Fridays! People work. 2pm on Saturdays, we do not have ONE single Saturday night start in Winnipeg. For stupid CBC.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:23 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
to be fair winnipeg, ottawa got that treatment for about a decade when they only had 2 trucks... one for montreal/toronto, one for west.

03-28-2013, 11:55 PM
sammy d

I hope that CBC looses all NHL rights soon, I live in Manitoba, every Saturday night guess who we get, the Leafs, of course I don't watch but hell, there are more Habs fans in Canada than Leafs fans but thats all we get, why? Because the habs viewers are split on 2 networks, CBC and RDS(french), if you combine both networks the habs always outdraw the Leafs but because the CBC ratings are only for their channel we get the Leafs, ugh.

TSN is excellent for CFL broadcasts, they show every game whereas CBC maybe showed 1/2? CFL is booming in Canada and I'm glad their tv money has increased, would rather watch CFL anyday over the all-hype league NFL.

That is all.

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:07 AM
tml145

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
I hope that CBC looses all NHL rights soon, I live in Manitoba, every Saturday night guess who we get, the Leafs, of course I don't watch but hell, there are more Habs fans in Canada than Leafs fans but thats all we get, why? Because the habs viewers are split on 2 networks, CBC and RDS(french), if you combine both networks the habs always outdraw the Leafs but because the CBC ratings are only for their channel we get the Leafs, ugh.

TSN is excellent for CFL broadcasts, they show every game whereas CBC maybe showed 1/2? CFL is booming in Canada and I'm glad their tv money has increased, would rather watch CFL anyday over the all-hype league NFL.

That is all.
i don't know if there are more Leafs or Habs fans

but the majority of habs fans live in Quebec and watch the french RDS channel

approximately 8 million french people

there is no benefit for CBC to show Habs games nationaly unless the Leafs aren't playing

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:17 AM
SilverSeven

Not a CFL fan, figure I will give it a shot once Ottawa comes back again.

If TSN has all the games, can I expect a few not to be televised at all?

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:18 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
i don't know if there are more Leafs or Habs fans

but the majority of habs fans live in Quebec and watch the french RDS channel

approximately 8 million french people

there is no benefit for CBC to show Habs games nationaly unless the Leafs aren't playing
There was a study posted about a year ago that showed the Habs are bigger than the Leafs in every province but Ontario I believe.

It was actually pretty surprising, their fanbase is quite a bit larger.

The biggest problem with CBCs model is that by only showing one team, they really limit their potential for growth. Show them all equally. Build fans for other teams. When they do this, they wont get screwed on nights that the Leafs dont play, or when they dont make the playoffs for nearly a decade.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:23 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
So we can have games not televised during the first half of the season again?

TSN saved the league.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:25 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Not a CFL fan, figure I will give it a shot once Ottawa comes back again.

If TSN has all the games, can I expect a few not to be televised at all?
TSN will televise every single CFL game. And all in HD.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:15 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Good news for the CFL. Seems like the league has been as succesful as it's ever been since TSN got exclusive rights.

04-03-2013, 10:06 PM
NastyNinoSays

GREAT NEWS, Proud of the CFL for getting to where there are now. This is what happens when you get a real commish . note to NHL

NastyNinoSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

It is really impressive to see what the CFL has become. Having grown up in the 90's, when the league looked to be on its death bed, with its ludicrous American expansion, the CFL was a joke a league (and lost a generation of fans in the process), its great to see it doing so well.

And with all the new stadiums, things are only looking up.

Pilky01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:50 PM
HockeylessInHouston

Any word on availability in the US?

Last season the CFL started out on ESPN3, which my ISP blocks.

In July and August, I'd rather watch a CFL game that counts than an NFL preseason game where the entire second half is played by the third to nineteenth stringers.

HockeylessInHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Swarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonAerosFan View Post

In July and August, I'd rather watch a CFL game that counts than an NFL preseason game where the entire second half is played by the third to nineteenth stringers.
When I was in the States last July there was CFL games live on the NFL network- not sure how much they show though.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:34 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonAerosFan View Post

No they do not. ESPN3 blocks your ISP. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN3
Quote:
Some ISPs have complained to the FCC that ESPN3 violates the principles of network neutrality. ESPN3 bundles its content into the fees of the participating ISP, regardless of whether or not users partake in accessing its content. If a particular ISP does not pay subscription fees to ESPN, users of that ISP are blocked from accessing ESPN3. There is no way for individual users to overcome these access restrictions as ESPN3 does not provide subscription options for individual users or any other non-ISP entities.
ESPN3 treats ISPs like cable systems. Either all subscribers get the service, and the ISP pays for it, or none of the ISP's subscribers. This is entirely different from NHL Gamecentre Live, where individuals can subscribe, regardless of ISP.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote