HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues @ Flames: Bring your parents and ridiculous stick saves!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2013, 06:45 PM
  #51
GrandPapillon
Registered User
 
GrandPapillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southern IL
Country: United States
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by underslept View Post
Only if you're anti-Backes...

More goals with less ice time, and less powerplay time. Plus, watching the games, he handles the puck better in the offensive zone and seems more confident.

Backes is doing a great job shutting down other teams' top lines and I am not saying that sarcastically. It's just that he is playing more like a 3rd line center than a 1st line center and captain.

GrandPapillon is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 06:49 PM
  #52
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24,695
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
He has this season.
If you can't look at Backes objectively, don't get upset at people not looking at Perron objectively.

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 06:51 PM
  #53
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24,695
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
He has this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
More goals with less ice time, and less powerplay time. Plus, watching the games, he handles the puck better in the offensive zone and seems more confident.

Backes is doing a great job shutting down other teams' top lines and I am not saying that sarcastically. It's just that he is playing more like a 3rd line center than a 1st line center and captain.
I'm not taking anything away from Sobotka, and I love him, but he had a great few games offensively. He hasn't been very productive outside of that short stretch.

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 06:57 PM
  #54
GrandPapillon
Registered User
 
GrandPapillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southern IL
Country: United States
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
If you can't look at Backes objectively, don't get upset at people not looking at Perron objectively.

Perron: Producing points and playing above averagely defensively while creating chances in the offensive zone no matter who is on his line. He remains a very streaky player who is prone to making mental mistakes and taking terrible penalties. He tends to at times try to do too much in the offensive zone and pass up making a simple yet smart play for a tougher riskier play which sometimes blows up in his face. He is an important part of this team and the Blues future.

Backes: Doing a great job matching up against the top lines of other teams and playing a physical game. He doesn't usually make many mistakes and doesn't really have bad nights defensively. In the offensive zone, he has struggled mightily as he doesn't appear to have much confidence currently in his puck handling. His lack of goalscoring, especially when there is a goalie in the net, has been unacceptable given his icetime, powerplay time, and quality linemates he has played with this season. He is an important part of this team and the Blues future.

What part of this lacks objectivity?

GrandPapillon is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:02 PM
  #55
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24,695
vCash: 130
Backes is producing points, a 51 point pace for an 82 game average, higher than his career average, and just 4 points under his average for his past 4 seasons.

Do people expect him to be on a 70+ point pace or something?

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:07 PM
  #56
underslept
"well-informed"
 
underslept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
Perron: Producing points and playing above averagely defensively while creating chances in the offensive zone no matter who is on his line. He remains a very streaky player who is prone to making mental mistakes and taking terrible penalties. He tends to at times try to do too much in the offensive zone and pass up making a simple yet smart play for a tougher riskier play which sometimes blows up in his face. He is an important part of this team and the Blues future.

Backes: Doing a great job matching up against the top lines of other teams and playing a physical game. He doesn't usually make many mistakes and doesn't really have bad nights defensively. In the offensive zone, he has struggled mightily as he doesn't appear to have much confidence currently in his puck handling. His lack of goalscoring, especially when there is a goalie in the net, has been unacceptable given his icetime, powerplay time, and quality linemates he has played with this season. He is an important part of this team and the Blues future.

What part of this lacks objectivity?
Your assessment of Backes in the offensive zone.

Backes has only 3 goals and that really seems to be your only point in the entire argument. Backes has 16 assists and despite struggling to find the net so far, is playing on par for his career offensively.

underslept is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:09 PM
  #57
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,126
vCash: 50
Frank will score tonight

Mike Liut is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:10 PM
  #58
GrandPapillon
Registered User
 
GrandPapillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southern IL
Country: United States
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Backes is producing points, a 51 point pace for an 82 game average, higher than his career average, and just 4 points under his average for his past 4 seasons.
I did just check to and his shooting percentage is insanely low this season, under half his career average low. This could suggest that some of his lack of offense has to do with some bad luck. I would say that some of Backes' assists have been the result of secondary assists due to the talented players he plays with, but I have nothing to back that up or to see how many of Perron's assists are secondary ones so the point is moot. Still, he needs to score more than goals just like Perron needs to keep his ass out of the penalty box.


My problem can be summed up like this. When Perron has a bad period, the response by so many here is "trade him. He's lazy, selfish, and the team doesn't need him." When Backes has a bad period, "He must be fighting through an injury like a champ."

GrandPapillon is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:11 PM
  #59
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!
 
SirPaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 9,741
vCash: 50
Quit your bickering its game time! Go Blues!

SirPaste is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:14 PM
  #60
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,978
vCash: 500
Was really hoping to see cole tonight.

Vladys Gumption is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:14 PM
  #61
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24,695
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
I did just check to and his shooting percentage is insanely low this season, under half his career average low. This could suggest that some of his lack of offense has to do with some bad luck. I would say that some of Backes' assists have been the result of secondary assists due to the talented players he plays with, but I have nothing to back that up or to see how many of Perron's assists are secondary ones so the point is moot. Still, he needs to score more than goals just like Perron needs to keep his ass out of the penalty box.


My problem can be summed up like this. When Perron has a bad period, the response by so many here is "trade him. He's lazy, selfish, and the team doesn't need him." When Backes has a bad period, "He must be fighting through an injury like a champ."
This. No point arguing about something stupid. They both can improve.

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:17 PM
  #62
GrandPapillon
Registered User
 
GrandPapillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southern IL
Country: United States
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
^^^

Agreed

GrandPapillon is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:17 PM
  #63
ToniJ1960
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Quit your bickering its game time! Go Blues!
Thats right

ToniJ1960 is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:19 PM
  #64
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!
 
SirPaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 9,741
vCash: 50
Whats up with the Flames mascot? Was that a dog?

SirPaste is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:20 PM
  #65
Twisted Blue
Registered User
 
Twisted Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 1,440
vCash: 500
POwerPlay Baby!

Twisted Blue is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:23 PM
  #66
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!
 
bluemandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
...

My problem can be summed up like this. When Perron has a bad period, the response by so many here is "trade him. He's lazy, selfish, and the team doesn't need him." When Backes has a bad period, "He must be fighting through an injury like a champ."
There are couple of reasons for that:

1.) Backes is a center, and Perron a winger. Blues are thin on center, and flush with wingers. Therefore centers are cut some extra slack on the Blues due to a lack of other options.

2.) Perron's issues are much easier corrected than Backes' issues. Getting a player to stop making a move at the blueline, or stop taking so many offensive zone penalties, or stop holding on to the puck too long is much easier than getting a player to score more goals.

3.) Perron's style of play doesn't exactly fit the stated playing style of the Blues. (He isn't the only one.)

4.) Perron's issues have been the same issues for a few seasons now. Backes is having a down year by the eye-test. (I'm aware of his point projection.) Backes doesn't seem to be playing as physical game-in and game-out like he usually does, and the goal scoring is lacking. But those aren't issues that have exsisted for years like with Perron.

5.) Perron "has a bad period" much more often than Backes "has a bad period." If Perron's bad period occurred at the same rate as Backes' over the past couple of seasons, I don't think people would be as hard on Perron. Perron is consistently inconsistent.

bluemandan is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:24 PM
  #67
CarvinSigX
Meh
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The IL Side
Country: United States
Posts: 10,072
vCash: 500
Weak.

CarvinSigX is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:25 PM
  #68
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!
 
SirPaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 9,741
vCash: 50
lol Polak gets a penalty because Stajan is a *****

SirPaste is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:25 PM
  #69
underslept
"well-informed"
 
underslept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Really think it's time to stop the 4 forward powerplay, it hasn't been successful lately.

underslept is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:26 PM
  #70
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,978
vCash: 500
Well poop.

Vladys Gumption is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:26 PM
  #71
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!
 
SirPaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 9,741
vCash: 50
Wheres the too many men call?

SirPaste is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:27 PM
  #72
Wiems35*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
Knew they would score as soon as I saw the "Blues have killed off their last 10 penalties".

Wiems35* is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:27 PM
  #73
bcd051
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Clearly Petro's fault...

(*sarcasm*)

bcd051 is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:28 PM
  #74
CarvinSigX
Meh
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The IL Side
Country: United States
Posts: 10,072
vCash: 500
Big save, Jaro!

CarvinSigX is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 07:28 PM
  #75
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,978
vCash: 500
Great patience there by Stewie.

Vladys Gumption is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.