HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ralph Krueger

Old
03-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
The importance of coaching is vastly overrated here. IMO it comes down to the roster. Too many kids being asked to carry the weight, not enough help. The fact that the Oilers have been playing without a full complement of NHL centres for months speaks volumes about where the issues lie.
It's up to the coach to get the best out of what he has and no one in the world can convince me that Krueger is doing this. Especially when you look at the host of teams with rosters that look as bad if not worse than the oilers that continue to win. Other teams have just as big if not bigger holes or are horribly injured and perform.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Tommy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Well we've only had weeks to replace Ralph with Ruff. Tambo needs years to make that kind of decision.

Yes Tambo is at fault for icing a hole laden lineup where almost all the vets are not NHL quality. But it's Krueger that is deciding what to do with those players. His bench management when leading or tied after 2 is unbelievably bad. If we had real reporters in this city they would call him out for constantly promoting Smyth, Jones and Petrell into top 6 roles when the chips are down. But they are too comfortable with their sweet jobs and team access to rock the boat.

I am sure Ralph is a nice guy, but he is in way over his head. I was pleased after what we saw in the first week, when he was playing the kids in crucial moments. But that all stopped after Yakupov's goal celebration. Since then Ralph has consistently leaned on the worst vets in the league to try to grind out wins. And even though the results have been disastrous, he seems content to stick with his plan.

In a perfect world Katz makes a complete management purge(perhaps Stu can stay), but he too is happy enough to just get to hang out with Lowe and MacT. Unfortunately it looks like we're going to be in an Islanders/Thrashers situation for a while.
You make some very good points.

I guess the urgency of the Oilers winning isn't even remotely close to what is expected from the fans, media / reporters like from the Habs here every game. It was hilarious last year how they were grinding some of the players, management, coaches ., etc., this year they cleaned house brought in the right mix of GM and coaching staff and voila!

I particullaily like your comments about how Ralph is using Smyth, possibly the worst player in the league, in key situations. Last nite for example was just a joke when He had a 2 on 1 and he flipped the puck right into the breadbasket of Halak, without evening acknowledging Yaks.,. Yes the first wk was fun., loved Yaks with his energy and goal celebration., thought we were going to be in for at least an exciting season, but I guess all that had to stop.

Makes me wonder if management actually want to tank this year again for another high pick, wouldn't be surprised., this is just too obvious.

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:20 PM
McEwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
How good would it to hear this coming from Lowe:

Tambo and Ralph have poured their heart and soul into the Oilers organization for these past several years and we appreciate all the work they have done. But ultimately I am not satisfied with the direction we are heading and I believe making a change today is in the best interest of our franchise.
"And to add to the situation, it has come to my realization, that Craig MacTavish and myself are no longer needed in our roles. At the end of this season we are officially retiring from ALL things Oilers, and Darryl Katz will name replacements. Thank you."

McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:49 PM
rosemount289

What else can we try.............?

We changed trainers, changed coaches, changed players, build thru the draft, changed ownership, changed scouts................Is there anything left to change?

I am going to guess one more category...............Management...............!! !!

Mr. Katz........do we have to draw you a road map?

rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 12:57 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Well, I'm sure Tampa will promote Jon Cooper from their AHL squad.

There goes our shot at nabbing one of the most promising looking young coaches out there.
The Oilers don't need another rookie coach

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:03 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Not really.

Krueger's bench management has been near amateurish and he's shown no sign of learning from his mistakes.

He looks very little like an NHL coach and looks even less like a coach who fits this team's make-up.
this is the fact that concerns me the most... it was pretty clear to anybody with a head on their shoulders that krueger's bench management wasn't working very early into the season, but that is actually acceptable for a rookie coach... rookies make mistakes, no matter the profession, it happens.... what is NOT acceptable, is the fact that he continues to make the same mistakes over and over again, never learning from his mistakes

krueger isn't the problem with this team, hiring another coach will not make this team much better, but that doesn't change the fact that krueger just isn't very good at his job, end of story

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:07 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
The importance of coaching is vastly overrated here. IMO it comes down to the roster. Too many kids being asked to carry the weight, not enough help. The fact that the Oilers have been playing without a full complement of NHL centres for months speaks volumes about where the issues lie.
yeah, as i said in another post, krueger isn't the real problem with this team (although i do believe he should be fired as he clearly doesn't know what he is doing)... the real problem is exactly what you just said above... there are too many 19-22 year old kids being asked to do all the heavy lifting ... there isn't enough veteran support and we are woefully thin at the exact positions you cannot be thin at (centers and top-4 D)

this a poorly constructed team, and that falls on management

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 01:13 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
The Oilers don't need another rookie coach
Even one who has had immense amounts of success at every level he's coached while running an offensive system?

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Even one who has had immense amounts of success at every level he's coached while running an offensive system?
Lindy Ruff would be my guy right now, but I doubt he would come because he would be shackled by management.

MacT will rise again.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:00 PM
#ualberta

I'm hoping tbl takes cooper and we get ruff,

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Agron
BELIEVE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
I'm hoping tbl takes cooper and we get ruff,
what would suggest that we are even going to be firing kreuger?

Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:43 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bieber View Post
what would suggest that we are even going to be firing kreuger?
Nothing, but I really hope we do

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:36 AM
Hockey Buddha
Joensuu

Craig MacTavish fired in 2009
Pat Quinn fired in 2010
Tom Renney fired in 2012
Ralph Krueger fired in ?

Hmm. I'm sensing a pattern here.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:57 AM
LaGu

Maybe I am in "over-reaction" mode right now, but still...

I think Krueger is in over his head. He's a nice guy and all but I don't think that he has enough experience and knowledge to be coaching a NHL team. His main accomplishments are having success with Feldkirch and having an ok run with teh Swiss national team... From that point on he's done nothing to deserve being the head coach of a NHL team.

It's true that this could be considered "retrospective wisdom" but I don't care. I've been giving him a pass for a while but I'm done with it. It's time to cut the cord and try again with someone who has had experience with a NHL team (or preferably NHL teams).

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:23 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
This is a good quote from Krueger, keep the work ethic up and dig deep:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 14m

"The standings don't interest me at all right now. They only count after 48." - Krueger on the Oilers being in 8th place.
I really hope this winning makes people start to change their opinions on the coach. That is a great quote and the push back to the flames goons was a statement. Along the deft pull of Khabby in the third the other night, coaching has contributed to this winning streak.

We are going to be in really tough to make the playoffs. That said, the team has steadily improved in all aspects of the game. The players have bought in, so I don't think he's "in over his head."

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote