HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XI - Winter... I mean...Deadline approaching

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 08:41 PM
James Mirtle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Mirtle was going on and on last week about how Pittsburgh used advanced stats to tell them that Neal would work well with Malkin. Like it was some sort of revelation that a power forward would work well with one of the best Cs in the world
No. The Penguins presented at the Predictive Analytics World Conference and I reported from it.

Their presentation was heavily based on their work with analytics prior to acquiring Neal and comparing him to other power forwards. The question they used analytics to answer was whether Neal was better than other similar choices.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

vCash: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mirtle View Post
No. The Penguins presented at the Predictive Analytics World Conference and I reported from it.

Their presentation was heavily based on their work with th analytics prior to acquiring Neal and comparing him to other power forwards. The question they used analytics to answer was whether Neal was better than other similar choices.
Answering the call.

03-24-2013, 08:51 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:

Their presentation was heavily based on their work with analytics prior to acquiring Neal and comparing him to other power forwards. The question they used analytics to answer was whether Neal was better than other similar choices.
Well played sir!

Old
03-24-2013, 08:55 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

Quote:

Were there any other interesting presentations on advanced stats in regards to hockey?

I'd love to know just what NHL teams use and how different and better their resources are from things like Fenwick and so forth.

03-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Inconceivable

Whoa

Old
03-24-2013, 09:00 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:

If that is true, I'm sure it hardly factored into their decision of acquiring Neal. It was supplementary ex-post data that merely supported their scouting reports.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Ricky Bobby

With the great return that Dallas just got for Morrow this is the season we need to keep stockpiling assets by trading Bozak and CMac for good assets.

If the Leafs got offered a similar return for Bozak as what Dallas got for Morrow I hope he'd take it in a second.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
With the great return that Dallas just got for Morrow this is the season we need to keep stockpiling assets by trading Bozak and CMac for good assets.

If the Leafs got offered a similar return for Bozak as what Dallas got for Morrow I hope he'd take it in a second.
What would the equivalent offer be?

Old
03-24-2013, 09:05 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
If that is true, I'm sure it hardly factored into their decision of acquiring Neal. It was supplementary ex-post data that merely supported their scouting reports.
Actually, there has been a lot of discussion over the past few years that says NHL teams are using advanced stats in their analysis. However, the advanced stats that we as fans have access to through different websites is probably a lot less accurate and reliable than something developed by the professional analysts employed by NHL teams to come up with this sort of data.

The stats obviously aren't the be all and end all of a decision. That would just be stupid. But, when you are the general manager in charge of a multi-million dollar organization, you make use of all the information available to you. That includes scouting reports from your pro and amateur scouts, personal viewings of your own and your management groups, as well as all sorts of stats and analysis that we are most likely not privy to.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:07 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer 3m
Stastny out for game after taking Garrison slapper on foot.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:09 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerForTheDead View Post
Actually, there has been a lot of discussion over the past few years that says NHL teams are using advanced stats in their analysis. However, the advanced stats that we as fans have access to through different websites is probably a lot less accurate and reliable than something developed by the professional analysts employed by NHL teams to come up with this sort of data.
Yeah, was about to post that it depends on the analytics. I'm sure NHL teams have more resources than those generalized bogus stats (fenwick, corsi, etc). Most likely, as you said, stats we don't have access to.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Drew311
Bustlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
I'm not saying these teams would be interested in Bozak, but if we could get a prospect like Boone Jenner, Brock Nelson or Ty Rattie I would be all for moving him.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

holy overpayment.

03-24-2013, 09:16 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

Quote:
Yeah, was about to post that it depends on the analytics. I'm sure NHL teams have more resources than those generalized bogus stats (fenwick, corsi, etc). Most likely, as you said, stats we don't have access to.
I agree. Personally I'm not too fond of Fenwick and so forth. I like looking at corsi every now and then to get a better idea of how players on other teams that I'm not able to watch as often are used by their coaches.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:17 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:

The stats obviously aren't the be all and end all of a decision. That would just be stupid. But, when you are the general manager in charge of a multi-million dollar organization, you make use of all the information available to you. That includes scouting reports from your pro and amateur scouts, personal viewings of your own and your management groups, as well as all sorts of stats and analysis that we are most likely not privy to.
Great points, agree 100%.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:20 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:
I agree. Personally I'm not too fond of Fenwick and so forth. I like looking at corsi every now and then to get a better idea of how players on other teams that I'm not able to watch as often are used by their coaches.
Corsi, for me, has way too many factors that aren't accounted for. Especially since hockey is such a wide open game. You can't quantify a lot of aspects that Corsi tries to capture.

Even looking historically, the stat doesn't support the conclusions it tries to make with some obvious dominant defensive players.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

We can make the playoffs without Bozak... Sell him high!

TBH McClement and Bozak are not far apart in skill and overall game...

A Kadri/Grabo 1-2 punch in our top 6 with McClement as out 3rd line shutdown guy and Colborne in the 4 hole.

If B. Morrow + 3rd fetched a B+ prospect + 5th...

Bozak will fetch a B+ Prospect/1st + 3rd ez!!!

I would LOVE to see:

TOR: Sproul + 3rd (cond)
DET: Bozak

Old
03-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Replace Morrow with a late 1st.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:39 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
We can make the playoffs without Bozak... Sell him high!

TBH McClement and Bozak are not far apart in skill and overall game...

A Kadri/Grabo 1-2 punch in our top 6 with McClement as out 3rd line shutdown guy and Colborne in the 4 hole.

If B. Morrow + 3rd fetched a B+ prospect + 5th...

Bozak will fetch a B+ Prospect/1st + 3rd ez!!!

I would LOVE to see:

TOR: Sproul + 3rd (cond)
DET: Bozak
I must admit, I don't agree with you but I love your enthusiasm about your opinion. This must be the 19th or 20th time you have posted this.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:43 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

Quote:
Corsi, for me, has way too many factors that aren't accounted for. Especially since hockey is such a wide open game. You can't quantify a lot of aspects that Corsi tries to capture.

Even looking historically, the stat doesn't support the conclusions it tries to make with some obvious dominant defensive players.
That I can agree with. The speed of the game along with the fluidity of the action and the constant line changes makes hockey the hardest of the major sports to quantify with stats. Baseball can have moneyball because it's a very slow game that relies heavily on the individual battle between a pitcher and batter. Football is all about the strategy's between offensive and defensive sets. Basketball has the same 5 guys on the court for extended periods of time and more distinction between offense and defense. Hockey however can change from an offensive situation to a defensive situation back to an offensive situation within 10 seconds and that makes it very unpredictable.

That's also why hockey's the only sport I don't bet on.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:48 PM
ashs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post

I completely agree. Id also include grab and kessel.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:49 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Stastny was helped off the ice and wasn't putting any weight on the injured foot. The exact severity of the injury has yet to be announced by the team.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:06 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
Stastny was helped off the ice and wasn't putting any weight on the injured foot. The exact severity of the injury has yet to be announced by the team.
On to Plan B?

Old
03-24-2013, 10:08 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
Onto Plan B?
And, who would that be?

Old
03-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Garbs