HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need Heavyweight enforcer? Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
Bruins have been playing like that for some weeks. Go check out the Bruins' boards opinions on Lucic and Horton and their recent non-physical play.
Lucic is so scared of Orr that he stopped fighting even other teams.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:05 PM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I am sure that Eller loved having his face rubbed like a little ***** by Ott as he didnt do a damned thing about it.

If you do not care about self respect, then I guess its OK that Eller does not either.
Yeah, maybe we should get a few goons so opponents stops tripping our players too...

Old
03-24-2013, 04:09 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
I am sure that Eller loved having his face rubbed like a little ***** by Ott as he didnt do a damned thing about it.

If you do not care about self respect, then I guess its OK that Eller does not either.
I seem to recall Subban strong arming every Sabre he saw in the jaw like he was Eric Lindros and the Sabres didn't do anything about it.

A heavyweight isn't going to stop a facewash. If you watch any games on the Western Conference, every puck stoppage near a goaltender ends up a facewash. I guess the West is goonless...

Old
03-24-2013, 04:18 PM
SouthernHab
Go Habs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
I seem to recall Subban strong arming every Sabre he saw in the jaw like he was Eric Lindros and the Sabres didn't do anything about it.

A heavyweight isn't going to stop a facewash. If you watch any games on the Western Conference, every puck stoppage near a goaltender ends up a facewash. I guess the West is goonless...
You and ECHL missed my point.

Self respect and the lack of it in Montreal.

When Prust was healthy and playing on Eller's line, Eller had the bravery to stand up to ****ing McQuaid and push back. Of course, Prust dropped the gloves with Lucic to save Eller's life.

No Prust in the lineup. Eller takes the facewash from Ott like a scared and intimidated little boy.

But believe what you want. Eller's actions speak louder than your words on a computer screen.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Et le But

Quote:

When Prust was healthy and playing on Eller's line, Eller had the bravery to stand up to ****ing McQuaid and push back. Of course, Prust dropped the gloves with Lucic to save Eller's life.

No Prust in the lineup. Eller takes the facewash from Ott like a scared and intimidated little boy.

But believe what you want. Eller's actions speak louder than your words on a computer screen.
The same Eller who was up in Ott's face later on after that?

Eller is 6'2" and built like a tank. If he needs Prust next to him to not be afraid of Steve Ott, he shouldn't be in the NHL.

During the Bruins game I'm sure you were the first one to point out that Eller lost his cool and ended up taking a stupid retaliatory penalty. If he didn't want to kill the power play this team, it was probably more out of fear of Therrien than Ott.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Corncob

Quote:

Of course he didn't do anything about, it was on a delayed penalty that Ott had just taken and Ott was trying to get Eller to take a matching penalty rather than actually defending the ongoing play. Eller's not always the smartest, but he's too smart to fall for that and was basically just laughing at Ott.

WTF has any of that got to do with 'self respect'?

Just yet another example of that fact that you have this ability to pick any tiny physical contact in a Habs game and say that it should have been settled by a heavyweight pounding someone but if exactly the same thing happened in another game you'd dismiss it as nothing.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:23 PM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:

If that's what went trough Eller's mind, coach need to have a chat with him cause really... Ott ? my 8 years old niece is solid enough to fight him.

a 6'3 210+ player needs a goon to fight Ott for him... yeah sure...

Old
03-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Adam Spylo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
I think we DO need a big body that can maybe play as 5th or 6th D-man but most of all help Prust in making people respect the smaller Habs players.

Moen is knitting while he's on the ice (or doing something else) and is just not playing hockey, White is so very confused and as a fighter and he doesnt scare anyone. I mean Lucic will not refrain from bashing Gallager's head in or trying to crush Desharnais when he knows White is coming after him...

We need a guy who can play hockey a bit but mostly a guy who will make the other team think twice about playing too rough with our smaller forwards; someone who is nasty and has a REAL mean streak in him... its a glaring need in my opinion.

You just cant have tiny players without any protection, its as simple as that... Toronto or the Ruins will simply crash and bang this team out of the playoffs if we ever meet them.

Sadly the Penguins aren't dumb enough to trade Engelland because he would fit very nicely that role. He and Boll should be targets to acquire for a play-off run.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Adam Spylo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
If that's what went trough Eller's mind, coach need to have a chat with him cause really... Ott ? my 8 years old niece is solid enough to fight him.

That's why always the bigger fighter wins every fight. Size doesn't make a good fighter.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Spylo View Post
That's why always the bigger fighter wins every fight. Size doesn't make a good fighter.
True, but Ott is also a terrible fighter. Even Prust was able to destroy him.

Quote:
Sadly the Penguins aren't dumb enough to trade Engelland because he would fit very nicely that role. He and Boll should be targets to acquire for a play-off run.
It's a shame the Jackets have actually been half decent lately because getting Boll at the trade deadline would make a lot of sense.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:27 PM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
still, if a guy like Eller is afraid of Ott, it's not a goon that he needs by his side...

Old
03-24-2013, 04:29 PM
SouthernHab
Go Habs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post

You continue to ignore reality in hockey.

Having tough people on your team tends to make most players play a little bit bigger and a little bit tougher.

Call Bergevin and get your niece on a development contract.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Habsolument

Quote:
What fight are we talking about here? I didn't see one...

Corncob explained it well, Ott was trying to get a reaction out of Eller. Lars had the discipline not to do anything and was laughing at Ott's attempt. The talk about a lack of 'self respect' is ludicrous.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:11 PM
izzy75

Quote:
Having tough people on your team tends to make most players play a little bit bigger and a little bit tougher.
People who don't understand the purpose of fighter - that's right, a fighter - have never played the game... at least not at a competitive level.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:18 PM
SouthernHab
Go Habs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
People who don't understand the purpose of fighter - that's right, a fighter - have never played the game... at least not at a competitive level.
Agree.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Et le But

Quote:
And I'm sure playing Bantam hockey gave you an insight into the mind of NHL players.

I love when people use this to dismiss an argument. I'm pretty sure none of us here are experts, and those who actually are experts have mixed opinions on just what exactly the role of fighting is in hockey.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Tyson

Habs do need some more toughness. Not sure where that would come from. Patrick Bordeleau seems to have developed his game for the NHL. UFA at the end of the year. My choice would be simple, Chris Stewart, he can play and he can drop em. Ryan Clowe is not a fighter per say but would be bring some nice toughness.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Last time I checked Bergevin played at a competitive level and he doesn't seem to think we need one.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Last time I checked Bergevin played at a competitive level and he doesn't seem to think we need one.
Yeah... this is why he put a claim on Sestito earlier this winter... Gotta love the short-sightedness around here.

Old
03-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Yeah... this is why he put a claim on Sestito earlier this winter... Gotta love the short-sightedness around here.
To be fair he's put up decent numbers in the AHL so he's more than just an enforcer he has skill but hasn't been able to put it together at the NHL level. Since so many other enforcers passed through waivers without us claiming one it's clear they saw something more in Sestito.

Old
03-24-2013, 06:18 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
To be fair he's put up decent numbers in the AHL so he's more than just an enforcer he has skill but hasn't been able to put it together at the NHL level. Since so many other enforcers passed through waivers without us claiming one it's clear they saw something more in Sestito.
Sestito is a goon. If he don't fight, he's not in the nhl.........

Old
03-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Sestito is a goon. If he don't fight, he's not in the nhl.........
He is but there must be something other teams see in him they don't see in other waiver wire goons - the advanced stat using cat lovers at the Canucks picked him up, and besides Sestito the closest thing to a goon they have is Weise who is actually turning into a pretty decent grinder and isn't a great fighter to begin with, and the other team that made a claim was the already excellent Blackhawks.

So yes, Bergevin is likely looking to add toughness, but it doesn't look like he obsesses over adding one dimensional fighters as much as some of you do.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:07 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
You continue to ignore reality in hockey.

Call Bergevin and get your niece on a development contract.
So who was the heavyweight on the Kings last year?

Old
03-24-2013, 09:20 PM
SouthernHab
Go Habs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
So who was the heavyweight on the Kings last year?
Does it matter?

I would say Westgarth and you would counter that he was injured in February. I would say Clifford and you would say he doesnt weigh enough. I would say Dwight King (one of the fights in the playoffs) and you would find an excuse for that as well.

The Kings had 33 fights in the regular season and 4 in the playoffs. They did not turn the other cheek and allow other teams to run their players.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Et le But

Kyle Clifford is actually a solid hockey player, and at 22, is set to double his production from last year. Same with King, and even Nolan. They allowed the Kings to ditch the useless Westgarth.

The King, Nolan, Richardson 4th line (with Clifford fighting for a spot, even though Richardson doesn't fight!) was money in the playoffs.

Last edited by Et le But: 03-24-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Closed Thread