HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Tortorella Thread Pt. II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2013, 09:38 PM
  #201
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
Perhaps they have both tuned him out now?

Sure does look the rest of the guys have.
Does it really? The bottom 6 looks like a bunch of fourth liners and a rookie, which is exactly what they are. Step, Callahan, Hagelin and Nash look great. The defense is making some mistakes but the team is 5th in the league in GA/G so they're getting it done. Hank is being Hank.

It looks like two really important guys are having bad seasons.

haveandare is online now  
Old
03-24-2013, 09:42 PM
  #202
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,024
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Does it really? The bottom 6 looks like a bunch of fourth liners and a rookie, which is exactly what they are. Step, Callahan, Hagelin and Nash look great. The defense is making some mistakes but the team is 5th in the league in GA/G so they're getting it done. Hank is being Hank.

It looks like two really important guys are having bad seasons.
Thank you.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 09:52 PM
  #203
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Does it really? The bottom 6 looks like a bunch of fourth liners and a rookie, which is exactly what they are. Step, Callahan, Hagelin and Nash look great. The defense is making some mistakes but the team is 5th in the league in GA/G so they're getting it done. Hank is being Hank.

It looks like two really important guys are having bad seasons.

Get the **** outta here.

Everyone aside Nash, Stepan and Hagelin for most of the year can be much better than theyre playing.

The whole teams been subpar all season. Nobody is ever on the same page on the same night like last year.

Its obvious this ****ing team's sick of Tortorella. Enough.

Callahan started out like dog **** as well, played better, and as of late has been inconsistent.

Heyoooo* is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:00 PM
  #204
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
Get the **** outta here.

Everyone aside Nash, Stepan and Hagelin for most of the year can be much better than theyre playing.

The whole teams been subpar all season. Nobody is ever on the same page on the same night like last year.

Its obvious this ****ing team's sick of Tortorella. Enough.

Callahan started out like dog **** as well, played better, and as of late has been inconsistent.
It's hard to argue with that iron-clad logic, but I'm going to try.

Nash, Stepan and Hagelin are playing well. Callahan is too IMO, if he appears inconsistent maybe it's because he's being leaned on to provide 3 players worth of offense. The D is, statistically, among the best in the league, so they're playing pretty well. Hank has been himself aside from a handful of games, but the team isn't scoring in front of him. Why aren't they scoring in front of him? Because two of the three main scorers are having awful seasons.


Last edited by haveandare: 03-24-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: toned down the sarcasm
haveandare is online now  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:10 PM
  #205
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers
 
Mats Zuccarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
I could see Sather hiring Craig MacTavish. He played under Sather so probably picked some things up from him (or so Sather would think). Not to mention, he's a former Ranger.

Mats Zuccarelli is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:11 PM
  #206
JeffMangum
~anger~
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 58,077
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Rash View Post
I could see Sather hiring Craig MacTavish. He played under Sather so probably picked some things up from him (or so Sather would think). Not to mention, he's a former Ranger.
Oh god, I never thought of that.

That would be a travesty.

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:12 PM
  #207
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
It's hard to argue with that iron-clad logic, but I'm going to try.

Nash, Stepan and Hagelin are playing well. Callahan is too IMO, if he appears inconsistent maybe it's because he's being leaned on to provide 3 players worth of offense. The D is, statistically, among the best in the league, so they're playing pretty well. Hank has been himself aside from a handful of games, but the team isn't scoring in front of him. Why aren't they scoring in front of him? Because two of the three main scorers are having awful seasons.

Ignoring the bottom six/depth scoring, real iron-clad there. Its more than just two struggling stars.

I disagree about the blueline and Hank (hes been Hank but hes let in more awful goals than usual this year, esp at the beginning) considering how much we give up the first goal and are down early.

We've given up the first goal in 22/31 games or so.

In general, they could all be better. Much better. Most of the good GA I attribute to Hank, because when hes not letting in awful goals, hes stellar. Its usually been one or the other with him. Stellar, or awful start and a hole to dig out of caused by either an awful goal or defensive gaffe.

None of the defense has been consistenly good this year either. Disagree there. Stralman has been one of our better dmen all season.

Heyoooo* is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:14 PM
  #208
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,748
vCash: 500
8th place, 9th place, 1st place and 8/9th place in his 4 years here and people defend him to death lol

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:16 PM
  #209
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
Ignoring the bottom six/depth scoring, real iron-clad there. Its more than just two struggling stars.

I disagree about the blueline and Hank (hes been Hank but hes let in more awful goals than usual this year, esp at the beginning) considering how much we give up the first goal and are down early.

We've given up the first goal in 22/31 games or so.

None of the defense has been consistenly good this year either. Disagree there. Stralman has been one of our better dmen all season.
There are 4 defense and goalie combos in the whole league that have let in less goals. That's good by me.

Letting up the first goal that often sucks and needs to be fixed, but it wouldn't mean an automatic loss if the team had even 2 of the 3 big scorers scoring.

haveandare is online now  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:19 PM
  #210
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
There are 4 defense and goalie combos in the whole league that have let in less goals. That's good by me.

Letting up the first goal that often sucks and needs to be fixed, but it wouldn't mean an automatic loss if the team had even 2 of the 3 big scorers scoring.

We play a defensive system. I would hope we are top 10 statistically.

I attribute most of that to Lundqvist anyhow.

After the worst start of his career hes back to being 9/10 in GAA and SV%.

Heyoooo* is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:19 PM
  #211
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers
 
Mats Zuccarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Oh god, I never thought of that.

That would be a travesty.
Slats: Craig, why do you think you're the right man for the job?

Craig MacTavish: You know, Glen, I learned so much from you when I played for you. In fact, I model my coaching style after you. I...

Slats: You're hired. Welcome aboard

Mats Zuccarelli is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:21 PM
  #212
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
8th place, 9th place, 1st place and 8/9th place in his 4 years here and people defend him to death lol

For me at least, I'm not crazily in favor of him. I think he seriously needs to tweak the strategy to take into account the fact that this roster isn't as strong as last years. However, I also think that most of the arguments against him are emotional and illogical. People blame the coach because he doesn't put on the uniform and win games. On top of that, Torts isn't terribly charismatic with the media so he's an easy target for hate. I love Gaborik as a player, but he deserves a lot of the blame. I sort of like Richards as a player, but he deserves a ton of the blame. Sather also is at fault for adding to a necessary gamble of trading 2 depth players by letting a handful of others walk away needlessly. And yeah, Torts is a part of the problem right now as well. However, he's not the entire thing by a long shot, and getting rid of him for Boucher or Ruff just because they're out there would be foolish.

haveandare is online now  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:22 PM
  #213
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
We play a defensive system. I would hope we are top 10 statistically.

I attribute most of that to Lundqvist anyhow.


Typical Torts Hater logic: Something goes poorly it's Torts fault. Something goes well, it's the player's doing.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:25 PM
  #214
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post


Typical Torts Hater logic: Something goes poorly it's Torts fault. Something goes well, it's the player's doing.

If you think Lundqvist doesnt cover up a lot of the flaws, youre delusional.

Heyoooo* is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:28 PM
  #215
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
We play a defensive system. I would hope we are top 10 statistically.

I attribute most of that to Lundqvist anyhow.

After the worst start of his career hes back to being 9/10 in GAA and SV%.
So, we play a defensive system...and our defense is extremely effective...and it's clearly obvious that the players have quit on Torts?

haveandare is online now  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:28 PM
  #216
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post


Typical Torts Hater logic: Something goes poorly it's Torts fault. Something goes well, it's the player's doing.
Dude they have the worst breakout system in the NHL. Torts system has serious problems.

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:30 PM
  #217
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
So, we play a defensive system...and our defense is extremely effective...and it's clearly obvious that the players have quit on Torts?

No.

Hank covers up a lot of the flaws. The defense has not been nearly as good as youre saying just because we're top 5 in GA.

None of them are on the same page night in and night out as they were last year. This time I guess its Girardi's turn. Next week itll be someone elses.

Heyoooo* is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:32 PM
  #218
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers
 
Mats Zuccarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
I don't think Brett Sutter would come here. I don't think he wants to be coaching against his son, especially in the same division.

Mats Zuccarelli is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:32 PM
  #219
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
If you think Lundqvist doesnt cover up a lot of the flaws, youre delusional.
Take the reasoning in the other direction. I'll do it for you so you can't possibly mess it up. We should hold, wait for it, THE PLAYERS, accountable ALL THE TIME.

I know this might seem crazy to a Torts hater at first, blame the players for their own lack of production? But yes, that is what I'm proposing. Good or bad, players should be given the bunt of the credit/blame.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:34 PM
  #220
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Take the reasoning in the other direction. I'll do it for you so you can't possibly mess it up. We should hold, wait for it, THE PLAYERS, accountable ALL THE TIME.

I know this might seem crazy to a Torts hater at first, blame the players for their own lack of production? But yes, that is what I'm proposing. Good or bad, players should be given the bunt of the credit/blame.

Its not 100% Tortorella, if thats what youre thinking im implying.

That being said, no matter how good/bad the players are and how much accountibility they have, its the system in place that comes before them. If the entire team is having issues with it, which they clearly are, then its also Tortorella. At some point, you need to adjust.

Heyoooo* is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:35 PM
  #221
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free
 
Nac Mac Feegle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,384
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
For me at least, I'm not crazily in favor of him. I think he seriously needs to tweak the strategy to take into account the fact that this roster isn't as strong as last years. However, I also think that most of the arguments against him are emotional and illogical. People blame the coach because he doesn't put on the uniform and win games. On top of that, Torts isn't terribly charismatic with the media so he's an easy target for hate. I love Gaborik as a player, but he deserves a lot of the blame. I sort of like Richards as a player, but he deserves a ton of the blame. Sather also is at fault for adding to a necessary gamble of trading 2 depth players by letting a handful of others walk away needlessly. And yeah, Torts is a part of the problem right now as well. However, he's not the entire thing by a long shot, and getting rid of him for Boucher or Ruff just because they're out there would be foolish.
Well said.

Unfortunately, something big needs to happen. Either Slats has to walk into the room and say Torts is guaranteed to be here for the next 2-3 years (or however long his contract is) and anyone who disagrees can hit the door, or a big trade needs to occur, or there's a coaching change.

Which is the best move? I have no idea. But things can't remain status quo.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:36 PM
  #222
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Tortorella is a better motivator than strategist, and its clear he cant motivate this team anymore. Thats my all encompassing point.

This team is inconsistent from within and inconsistent as a team on the ice.

Heyoooo* is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:36 PM
  #223
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
No.

Hank covers up a lot of the flaws. The defense has not been nearly as good as youre saying just because we're top 5 in GA.

None of them are on the same page night in and night out as they were last year. This time I guess its Girardi's turn. Next week itll be someone elses.
First, the D and Hank weren't playing well and their lack of effort was proof that they quit on Torts. Then, the team's D had good numbers because they were playing a defensive system. Now, like, five minutes later, they only have good numbers because of Hank.

Every team has flaws in every department. Results are what matter. This D has had great results, maybe not up to the incredible standard of last year, but in the scope of the league currently, their results are impressive.

haveandare is online now  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:39 PM
  #224
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 47,179
vCash: 50
Blame should be split 50/50. Torts is a stubborn jerk and should have a bit of a mirror check a la Tom Coughlin. He has quite a few head scratchers that are frustrating.

That said, he's a good coach and I do think we can win with him. The squad he has been given this year is, just like last year, really not that great. Hank is playing excellent but not his God-Tier status of last year and the Defense isn't as consistent. The bottom 6 is ****ing useless and Gaborik/Richards aged 50 years in the offseason.

They need to help each other help themselves.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:39 PM
  #225
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
First, the D and Hank weren't playing well and their lack of effort was proof that they quit on Torts. Then, the team's D had good numbers because they were playing a defensive system. Now, like, five minutes later, they only have good numbers because of Hank.

Every team has flaws in every department. Results are what matter. This D has had great results, maybe not up to the incredible standard of last year, but in the scope of the league currently, their results are impressive.

As a whole theyve all been subpar. Hank hasnt been as bad as some suggest around here, but you cannot deny he had a terrible start and lets in more ****** goals than usual this year.

Theres been a ton of turnovers, brainfarts and blown coverage, I dont care if we're ****ing top 5 in GA. They work as a unit, and last year they did. This year theyre inconsistent.

Hanks the reason the GA isnt another 20 higher because for every awful goal he lets in, he saves probably 3-5 that otherwise should go in. Like I said before, hes either stellar or lets in terrible goals.

We play a defensive system, so the GF/GA numbers are going to be low is my point.

Heyoooo* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.