HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs on Tradecentre Part 3 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2013, 10:37 PM
  #301
TYLENOL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Why Jagr? He's as old as the roman empire!!!

TYLENOL is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:37 PM
  #302
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
Not if we gave up Bealieu to do so.
Right...

gusfring is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:49 PM
  #303
lamp9post
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Right...
Is this sarcasm?

Would you have traded Beaulieu for Brendan Morrow?

I just don't see this guy as being that significant an upgrade that I'd be willing to give up a top prospect for. Not knocking the deal for Pittsburgh - they are clearly in win-now mode and had the depth on D to trade for forward depth. The Habs on the other hand are just entering their window where they can contend and (IMO) shouldn't deal a potential impact prospect for a rental.

lamp9post is online now  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:54 PM
  #304
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
LOL Beaulieu still gets no love around here. Baffles me.
I really don't get it, Beaulieu is our most skilled prospect outside the NHL, not to mention he has size and is willing to fight (the important thing around here)

Et le But is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 10:57 PM
  #305
Saundies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NB, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I really don't get it, Beaulieu is our most skilled prospect outside the NHL, not to mention he has size and is willing to fight (the important thing around here)
Agreed. He reminds me a lot of PK (No, I'm not comparing them) with just how much raw talent he has. He can skate with anyone, shoot, run a PP, etc. He just needs to be good defensively and be molded by a good coach.

Saundies is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 11:09 PM
  #306
clarke19
Registered User
 
clarke19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
With Bourque out, we should really look to add to this roster. The reason I was cool with the Cole trade was because Bourque had stepped up and brought what Cole was bringing last season. That and the fact we got Ryder.

We need to add the grit which can go to the net. Prust is great for it. Clowe would be a nice add on if the price isn't through the roof. After the Morrow trade I feel it will be though.

clarke19 is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 11:32 PM
  #307
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 500
I wouldn't trade any pick. With timmis , our picks are just to valuable.

Bieber fever is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 11:37 PM
  #308
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYLENOL View Post
Why Jagr? He's as old as the roman empire!!!
Hockey fans have an obsession with getting national players together. Habs fans wanted Selanne and Koivu together for years. Anaheim got it done.

No Team Needed is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 11:38 PM
  #309
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,316
vCash: 500
Jagr makes sense in some ways, but we already have Ryder as a one-dimensional offensive contributor.

not sure that we want/need two top-9 RW's who are primarily PP & soft-minute ES players.

plus, with not much certainty around him coming back, or us wanting him back, next year, hard to see it being worth the assets it would cost to get him.


either go hard for a guy like Clarkson, whom you intend to re-sign anyways, or keep the squad as is and go as far as it will take you...

Miller Time is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 11:41 PM
  #310
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Hockey fans have an obsession with getting national players together. Habs fans wanted Selanne and Koivu together for years. Anaheim got it done.
considering how well it worked out, despite both being in the twilight of their careers, the "fans" were right to have wanted it done years earlier in Mtl... shame it didn't happen.

ditto for Jagr signing here last year. Had PG not been "the smartest man in the room", and played ball with Jagr the way many fans (and Plekanec) wanted him to, the two of them probably would have had a lot of success together, continuing this year...

mind you, we ended up minus JM and plus Galch for our troubles... so i guess i wouldn't change it.

Miller Time is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 11:49 PM
  #311
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,001
vCash: 500
For more of a hardnose player, I think Clarkson has underrated skill. Would love to have him here.

Andy is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 11:54 PM
  #312
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Yep, clarkson is the guy I want this year. Last year my guy was Prust. Lets hope I go 2/2.

overlords is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:01 AM
  #313
Habitant le colon
Registered User
 
Habitant le colon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,018
vCash: 500
The only way to get Jagr is to pay Gionta a trip to Dallas ... and this will not happen ! PERIOD. let's trade for a Talbot instead!

Habitant le colon is online now  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:14 AM
  #314
dreamingofdrouin*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Yep, clarkson is the guy I want this year. Last year my guy was Prust. Lets hope I go 2/2.
but what will he cost...especially now that getzlaf and perry are no longer head to ufa....alot of teams gonna be overpaying for ufa's

dreamingofdrouin* is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:55 AM
  #315
25get
Registered User
 
25get's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
but what will he cost...especially now that getzlaf and perry are no longer head to ufa....alot of teams gonna be overpaying for ufa's
Decreasing SCap and increasing SCap should bring different dynamics.

There should be a lot of players available or at least the market price will decrease.
Maybe Clarkson will be among the exceptions but he does not seem to be in the same category as Getzlaf and Perry.

25get is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 01:46 AM
  #316
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 500
Is Clarkson even an option? Why would the Devils let him go?

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 02:28 AM
  #317
CN_paladin
Registered User
 
CN_paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westeros
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
If we could get Jagr for a 2nd round pick or so then I'm all for it.. guy's a machine this year despite his age. Obvious chemistry with Pleks, and a true bonafide game-breaker.

Plus I'd love to see a Jagr Habs jersey.
Not sure if you are serious?

CN_paladin is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 02:46 AM
  #318
ekof232
Registered User
 
ekof232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Seeing as I don't believe in breaking a team's chemistry right before the playoffs, the only moves I would want our GM to do would be moves that do not imply major asset movement (IE no Iginla or other high-end commodities like Clarkson) or acquiring long-term contracts (and potentially dead weight).

Acquiring more depth and experience is IMHO key to solidifying ourselves amongst the upper-echelon teams come playoffs and potentially allowing us to partially weather injuries to our top players (although they would still be quite crippling were they to happen to someone like Markov, Subban, Plekanec, etc.).

In line with my views, my list of possible (and desirable) deadline acquisitions goes as follows:

Kevin Klein - 6th or 7th D-man and penalty kill specialist
Ladislav Smid (a bit more pricey) - 4th or 5th defensive defenseman
Matt Martin - a perfect fourth-liner for us (extremely unlikely given his play and age for the rebuilding NYI)
Brad Boyes - great depth offensive guy to play on the third or second line
Mike Weaver - another experienced (and underrated IMO) defenseman to bolster our depth
Maxime Talbot - experienced fourth-liner who could help with the faceoffs (might not happen with the claim put on Halpern)

Out of that list Weaver is the one I'd most like to see on our team.

EDIT: As Weaver is on IR, the guy I'd want the most would probably be Klein.


Last edited by ekof232: 03-25-2013 at 03:07 AM.
ekof232 is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 03:13 AM
  #319
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekof232 View Post
Seeing as I don't believe in breaking a team's chemistry right before the playoffs, the only moves I would want our GM to do would be moves that do not imply major asset movement (IE no Iginla or other high-end commodities like Clarkson) or acquiring long-term contracts (and potentially dead weight).

Acquiring more depth and experience is IMHO key to solidifying ourselves amongst the upper-echelon teams come playoffs and potentially allowing us to partially weather injuries to our top players (although they would still be quite crippling were they to happen to someone like Markov, Subban, Plekanec, etc.).

In line with my views, my list of possible (and desirable) deadline acquisitions goes as follows:

Kevin Klein - 6th or 7th D-man and penalty kill specialist
Ladislav Smid (a bit more pricey) - 4th or 5th defensive defenseman
Matt Martin - a perfect fourth-liner for us (extremely unlikely given his play and age for the rebuilding NYI)
Brad Boyes - great depth offensive guy to play on the third or second line
Mike Weaver - another experienced (and underrated IMO) defenseman to bolster our depth
Maxime Talbot - experienced fourth-liner who could help with the faceoffs (might not happen with the claim put on Halpern)

Out of that list Weaver is the one I'd most like to see on our team.

EDIT: As Weaver is on IR, the guy I'd want the most would probably be Klein.
You probably didnt watch Nashville much in the last few years if you think Klein is a 6th or 7th D.

ECWHSWI is online now  
Old
03-25-2013, 07:38 AM
  #320
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I really don't get it, Beaulieu is our most skilled prospect outside the NHL, not to mention he has size and is willing to fight (the important thing around here)
That's the point, Beaulieu has value.

We can get something good for Beaulieu, we cannot get anything good for Weber.

DAChampion is online now  
Old
03-25-2013, 07:44 AM
  #321
SnapVirus
Registered User
 
SnapVirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mtl., QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,023
vCash: 500
Klein has 2nd TOIG on Nashville. Hes there 2ns dman.

SnapVirus is online now  
Old
03-25-2013, 07:52 AM
  #322
charlie
Registered User
 
charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Is Clarkson even an option? Why would the Devils let him go?
Yaaaayyyyyy!!!!! Somebody with some common sense around here....

charlie is online now  
Old
03-25-2013, 07:59 AM
  #323
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
So... what # will Jared Boll wear in Montreal?

Kjell Dahlin is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 08:14 AM
  #324
FXBrassard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
With the market favoring the sellers big time in this deadline, I actually think we should be sellers. We do not have a realistic chance at winning the cup this year, and I think Bergevin knows that, everything I've heard and seen from him suggest that he has a longer term vision.

With rumors of us scouting Chicago's farm team a few weeks back, I would actually really like dealing Ryder for Jimmy Hayes + a pick. With the return Brenden Morrow just got a PPG player must be worth a lot on the market right now. What do you guys think?

FXBrassard is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 08:36 AM
  #325
SnapVirus
Registered User
 
SnapVirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mtl., QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXBrassard View Post
With the market favoring the sellers big time in this deadline, I actually think we should be sellers. We do not have a realistic chance at winning the cup this year, and I think Bergevin knows that, everything I've heard and seen from him suggest that he has a longer term vision.

With rumors of us scouting Chicago's farm team a few weeks back, I would actually really like dealing Ryder for Jimmy Hayes + a pick. With the return Brenden Morrow just got a PPG player must be worth a lot on the market right now. What do you guys think?
Think with your head a little bit. Why would we trade our best winger since his aquisition for a propsect and a pick? Why would the 2nd team in the East do that? The goal is not to have the greatest prospects pool, the goal is to win the ****in Stanley Cup. Edmonton Oilers have a good prospect pool and they suck. Look what Pittsburgh did yesterday this is HOW you win. Even if you think we are miles away from it (I dont think its the case, we are sitting tight in front row with the 5 best teams), we'll be in the playoff and when you are EVERYTHING can happen. Crosby might be injured. Rask might suck. Price play over his head. Hell, Gallagher could have 12 goals in 7 games.

We wont be sellers, we are not seller and its not even a little bit brilliant to think we'll be.

SnapVirus is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.