HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Taylor

View Poll Results: What?
Great 4 5.80%
Good 50 72.46%
Bad 12 17.39%
Terrible 3 4.35%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-07-2006, 08:57 PM
  #51
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
It's like you offer me 6 bucks an hour to babysit your kids, take it or leave it. I want 8 bucks an hour and you wont give it to me, so instead of just saying it's been real to your kids and saying goodbye, I then go and punch your kids in the stomach and say "Take that Osprey."
I think that this illustration is a good example of how it's next to impossible for you to look at the Blake situation rationally. As a matter of fact, many of you behave as though he did punch your kids in the stomach. He didn't scratch you or your kids. Some of you are even acting much more like the kids who were punched than the parents. I think that growing some thicker skin, as you recommended, is in order and long overdue here.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 09:06 PM
  #52
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,156
vCash: 500
Also remember that it wasn't just a low ball offer, there was a THREAT if he did not accept the offer. Aside from saying this is a "final offer, take it or leave it," the Kings brass (Gilmore/Leiweke) also threatened to trade Blake if he did not accept their initial offer. That doesn't seem like they were intent on negotiating a deal now does it?

Anyway, that was in the past, but some people apparently can't let go of the past...

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 09:10 PM
  #53
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,407
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Especially when you look back on Blake. He got paid, he won a Cup and the Kings never did much with the players they received in the trade. Now, a couple of years later and suddenly the Kings shell out money when he's 4 years older? It seems to me management admitted they made a mistake when they traded him when they signed him this summer.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 09:15 PM
  #54
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Especially when you look back on Blake. He got paid, he won a Cup and the Kings never did much with the players they received in the trade. Now, a couple of years later and suddenly the Kings shell out money when he's 4 years older? It seems to me management admitted they made a mistake when they traded him when they signed him this summer.
I don't think there was ever a question about Blake's skill as a player. It was a money issue.

In fact, you could look at this situation as management waiting Blake out...it took four years, but he finally came down to 6 mill.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 09:36 PM
  #55
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,742
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I think that this illustration is a good example of how it's next to impossible for you to look at the Blake situation rationally. As a matter of fact, many of you behave as though he did punch your kids in the stomach. He didn't scratch you or your kids. Some of you are even acting much more like the kids who were punched than the parents. I think that growing some thicker skin, as you recommended, is in order and long overdue here.
Whatever dude. We'll agree to disagree. You say I cant look at the situation rationally and yet you've given me no logic or rational argument behind how taking the c off affected the team and not the fans.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:15 PM
  #56
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Whatever dude. We'll agree to disagree. You say I cant look at the situation rationally and yet you've given me no logic or rational argument behind how taking the c off affected the team and not the fans.
I think that quite a bit of logic and rational argument has been provided in this thread, but no amount will make much difference because your disdain for him is on an emotional level, not a rational one, and you're unwilling to let that die, even 5 and a half years later. If you can't rationalize his actions, at least forgive and forget. Blake has publicly done so, saying that he doesn't hold anything against the fans and hoping that it's put behind them, and, so far, is the better man for it. At least step up and do the same or you only cement him in that position.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:19 PM
  #57
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Your list has 4 players with NHL experience, 2 with a "cup of joe" in the show, and a whole bunch of "maybes". That's nice, but IMO those results could have been matched with anyone using any of the prospect rating publications instead of the army of scouts the Kings have employed.
What's your point? The fact that there is NHL players on that U25 team is a good thing. That means players are developing.

And maybes? All prospects are maybes. The Kings have alot of good young players in the organization, more then most teams. Look back at the dark years before DT, we didn't even have "maybes". At least now we have something to look forward too.

You DT bashers can say whatever you want but DL's sucess will have alot to do with the foundation that DT built.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:24 PM
  #58
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
What's your point? The fact that there is NHL players on that U25 team is a good thing. That means players are developing.

And maybes? All prospects are maybes. The Kings have alot of good young players in the organization, more then most teams. Look back at the dark years before DT, we didn't even have "maybes". At least now we have something to look forward too.

You DT bashers can say whatever you want but DL's sucess will have alot to do with the foundation that DT built.
DL said himself that there are some solid pieces in place. Call it lip-service if you want, but it's really nearly impossible for him to go into full rebuild mode considering all of DT's young guns that are starting to make an impact on the roster.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:27 PM
  #59
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
DL said himself that there are some solid pieces in place. Call it lip-service if you want, but it's really nearly impossible for him to go into full rebuild mode considering all of DT's young guns that are starting to make an impact on the roster.
Ah-hah. Now you're blaming DT for making it impossible for DL to rebuild

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:33 PM
  #60
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
The Kings started off much closer to $6.5mil with Blake asking for $8mil. The Kings tried to play hardball with the "take it or leave it" stance, but that blew up in their faces when Pronger got the $10mil contract. It took the Kings almost 5 months for their offer to get up to $8mil - by that time, the damage had been done.
The Kings' didn't tell Blake to "take it or leave it" until the negotiations were already over $8M. The organization made it clear this was as much as they could offer him, hence the "take it or leave it" stance.

Let me sum this up. When a player turns down an $8M a year offer, rips the C off his jersey, and later signs with a rival for $9M a year, it's hard for the fans not to see that player as a traitor. Yeah I know $1M is alot of money, but if Blakes claims that he wanted to stay with the team were really true, he would have accepted the $8M+ per year contract.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:47 PM
  #61
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,431
vCash: 500
Ya know there's a thin line between love and hate. We all loved Blake so much when he was here. The fact that Blake is hated so passionatley by Kings' fans is a reflection of how much we really liked him. The Blake situation hurt especailly bad for most of us because it was about money, plain and simple.

Remember when Gretzky left? It was because he wanted to win. It wasn't about money, and that's why it was understandable.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:50 PM
  #62
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,742
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I think that quite a bit of logic and rational argument has been provided in this thread, but no amount will make much difference because your disdain for him is on an emotional level, not a rational one, and you're unwilling to let that die, even 5 and a half years later. If you can't rationalize his actions, at least forgive and forget. Blake has publicly done so, saying that he doesn't hold anything against the fans and hoping that it's put behind them, and, so far, is the better man for it. At least step up and do the same or you only cement him in that position.
No you're right, I cant rationalize his actions in the least bit because I fail to see how they A) made the situation better, or B) helped him in his negotiations with the team, and you've yet to logically point out how removing the c did indeed accomplish just those things. So why should I put it past me? Emotions have nothing to do with it, logically I don't see how doing as much even slightly improves his position, and that's what I cant get through to you. You're all caught up on the notion that I won't let it go. Sorry Osprey, but I have. I've resigned myself to the fact that Blake is a King again. Do I have a certain disdain for the man? Not so much no. What I'm caught up on is the fact that you've yet to answer logically why he did what he did. And of course he doesn't hold anything against the fans, he's the one who "punched" them. Would I hold anything aginst you if I was the one who punched you?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:57 PM
  #63
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
When a player turns down an $8M a year offer, rips the C off his jersey, and later signs with a rival for $9M a year, it's hard for the fans not to see that player as a traitor.
This is a big distortion of the truth. First, he stepped down as Captain when he was offered a 6-ish salary, not after the $8M, which came later. Second, he was traded to said "rival", with which he won a Cup before re-signing. There's nothing "traitorous" about that. Also, it's always mentioned that he "ripped the C off," but never that he put it back on before the season even started. It must sound better.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 11:00 PM
  #64
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,742
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Also, it's always mentioned that he "ripped the C off," but never that he put it back on before the season even started. It must sound better.
Simple play on words. What's the difference? AM had no intention of naming a new captain, so it never came off his jersey in the first place. So basically he did indeed "rip" it off his jersey.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 11:12 PM
  #65
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
What I'm caught up on is the fact that you've yet to answer logically why he did what he did.
I've answered that multiple times by giving two possibilities: 1) that he reacted rashly and without purpose, and that it was a dumb mistake, or 2) that it was to increase his bargaining power. If what you're looking for is a good excuse for what he did, you won't receive it from me, since I don't condone what he did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
And of course he doesn't hold anything against the fans, he's the one who "punched" them. Would I hold anything aginst you if I was the one who punched you?
If I cursed you out for 5 years afterward, yes, yes you would. You apparently think nothing of the booing... of how it felt to Blake. In a way, you're guilty of the same thing that Blake was when he stepped down: reacting without considering who it might be hurting. Both sides are guilty of hurting the others' feelings; thus, both sides need to put the past behind them.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 11:28 PM
  #66
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,742
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
If I cursed you out for 5 years afterward, yes, yes you would. You apparently think nothing of the booing... of how it felt to Blake. In a way, you're guilty of the same thing that Blake was when he stepped down: reacting without considering who it might be hurting. Both sides are guilty of hurting the others' feelings; thus, both sides need to put the past behind them.
No I wouldn't, not after I had punched you, I'd expect that I had it coming since it was unprovoked.

He's a professional athlete, he should be used to the booing or even expect it. This is not an instance where both sides are the same or should be held to the same standard. We are not paid to be role models and the like, as Blake is.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:04 AM
  #67
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,407
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
You act as though 1 or 2 million dollars is chump change but I'd be willing to bet you haven't made that much in your lifetime. If I played for the Kings and they offered me 6 mil when my agent & I know we could get 8 on the open market you're damn straight I take the higher offer. If you say you will turn it down you're a filthy liar.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 10:15 PM
  #68
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
You act as though 1 or 2 million dollars is chump change but I'd be willing to bet you haven't made that much in your lifetime. If I played for the Kings and they offered me 6 mil when my agent & I know we could get 8 on the open market you're damn straight I take the higher offer. If you say you will turn it down you're a filthy liar.

Quote:
Let me sum this up. When a player turns down an $8M a year offer, rips the C off his jersey, and later signs with a rival for $9M a year, it's hard for the fans not to see that player as a traitor. Yeah I know $1M is alot of money, but if Blake's claims that he wanted to stay with the team were really true, he would have accepted the $8M+ per year contract.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.