HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How do you account for cheap shots?

Old
08-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Doctor Hook

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
How do you account for cheap shots?

I play in a men's rec league, and I'd say about 98% of the players are like me...just out there to have fun, a few laughs, play some hockey, and drink beers.

However, you always get those ******** who think they're Ulf Samuelsson out there and need to get pummelled. What makes the game great is the fact that you are held accountable for your actions. Play hard but with respect, and you'll be fine. Take continued cheap shots or try to goon it up and you get what you deserve.

Personally, I have no problem cross checking goons in the neck, throwing haymakers, or doing whatever it takes if warranted. Nothing too serious, but just my way of saying cut the *****, and do not mess with me or my team.

If somebody is not called out to cease their goonery (e.g. - if the refs are blowing the game), then what will make them stop?

Just wondering how other players on here handle these ants at a picnic. Feel free to post your best fights or whatever methods you've used.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Magnus Fulgur

It's tricky. I rarely have problems with goons even when my teammates are having problems with them because I try to stay focused and play clean. But some guys are just jerks.

This usually works: talk to your linemates or D partner and talk to them about the situation. Plan to double-check the guy viciously. Simultaneous double hits: if you see me lining him up near you, sprint over and follow up on him. That usually shuts the guy up and you don't usually get called for that. Most refs see it as coincidental unlucky contact.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 08:17 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hook View Post
I play in a men's rec league, and I'd say about 98% of the players are like me...just out there to have fun, a few laughs, play some hockey, and drink beers.

However, you always get those ******** who think they're Ulf Samuelsson out there and need to get pummelled. What makes the game great is the fact that you are held accountable for your actions. Play hard but with respect, and you'll be fine. Take continued cheap shots or try to goon it up and you get what you deserve.

Personally, I have no problem cross checking goons in the neck, throwing haymakers, or doing whatever it takes if warranted. Nothing too serious, but just my way of saying cut the *****, and do not mess with me or my team.

If somebody is not called out to cease their goonery (e.g. - if the refs are blowing the game), then what will make them stop?

Just wondering how other players on here handle these ants at a picnic. Feel free to post your best fights or whatever methods you've used.
I get a good long look at who it was and I file in the back of my mind. If it's in a game I point it out to the ref once, maybe twice. If nothing happens. I wait for the perfect time and hit him as hard as I possiably can.

Dust ups in pick up are different. I usually pull the guy aside and tell him to cut the ****. If that doesn't work I give him a taste of his own medicine.

There there are always the guys that freak out every time to touch them. I was digging for the puck along the wall and this kid just simply fell over. Next shift he cross checks be from behind driving me into the boards. After watch him and his brother swing sticks at each other I thought it best to just let that one go.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 11:10 AM
sc37

vCash: 450
I personally don't get too worked up about stuff...but when I do get worked up:

I let my teammates know, there are a couple who don't like other players being butts, and personally like to hit people, so I let them in on the fun. The refs sometimes know who is being an butt and let those checks slide. Or I like giving the guy a whack in the back of the leg discretely and they know I'm not not taking any **** and usually works. Or I'll just screw around with them and beat them cleanly and get them even more ticked...for example this one team had like 2 guys who were really intent on checking me cause they though I dove to draw a penalty on the semi-breakaways I had on them. So I let them line me up and then I make a move or stop, let them miss and slam themself in the boards, I get a good laugh and then they realize to not make an *** of themselves.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 11:45 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
forearm shiver to the jaw/throat.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Ludwig Fell Down

I'm pretty mild mannered when I play, but I have zero tolerance for cheap shot artists. On my adult league team, my brother plays goal, and I play defense, so I am particularly sensitive to anyone who runs the goalie (I'd like to think I'd be the same way if he weren't my brother). We have one guy in our league who used to run him repeatedly, skating into him purposely while saying "I'm sorry!". After a couple of those, I pretended to slip, and fell on top of him and buried my stick in his chest, saying "I'm sorry!" and that was the end of that.

Like Stick9, I take the guys number down and catch up with him at some point in the game. If someone on the other team has a problem, I tell them to ask their guy why I went after him. Fortunately, this stuff is pretty rare in our league, but it happens once in awhile.

The funniest one I remember is we were playing a game and after the whistle some goon put his shoulder into my brother. I went after him, he was about 6'' taller than me and got the best of me, then my brother came out of net to defend me. Me & my brother were yelling at each other, I'm telling him not to stick up for me when I'm sticking up for him, and he's telling me if I'd only learn how to take care of myself, he wouldn't have to. The refs were trying to suppress their laughter, asked if we were finished, and then doled out the penalties.

Ludwig Fell Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Hugh Madbrough

Fortunately it is rare in the league I play in. I pretty much take things with an eye for an eye point of view. If someone runs me I will run them, no matter how long it takes. If I get whacked they get whacked back a little harder etc.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 02:36 PM
mooseOAK*

The common sense in me tells myself to just let it go because we don't want escalations where someone could get hurt. Unfortunately myself doesn't always listen to me.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Slats432

I have NEVER initiated a cheap shot. I am willing to retaliate to let anyone know that I am not going to put up with their crap.

Good thing it doesn't happen often.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 03:19 PM
EmersonBeatemEtem
Watcha gonna do!!!!

I encountered a goon, the other day not on the ice, but rather off the ice. you can read about it in my "new player here" thread

EmersonBeatemEtem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 03:30 PM
mooseOAK*

I play in both a regular adult league and an over 40 one and surprisingly enough to me I have seen more attempts to injure and more players kicked out of the league in the over 40 division.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 03:30 PM
stick9

There is a line I will NOT cross. I will not go out with the intent to purposely injure someone. I've wanted to more then once. I caught a forearm across the throat in a pick up game. The guy was huge (NHL size) there is no reason for him to come at a guy my size like that. Especially not when I am in a position where I can't see him coming at me or do anything about it.

I was so close to two handing him on the side of the knee or on the back of the knee. I didn't because then I was no better then he was.

Old
08-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Doctor Hook

Good stories so far. I take solace in the fact that I'm not the only one who believes in standing up for themselves and teammates when the time comes.

Yeah one could say, "Dude, it's just rec league hockey, relax." But that doesn't give anyone an excuse to go out there and be a *******, just like nobody has the right to take cheap shots on you at a grocery store or waiting in line at the bank.

Besides, if you want to play a sport where you don't get hit, go play beer league softball.

Old
08-07-2006, 05:38 PM
gameface

I rarely had a problem with guys cheap-shotting me, but it did happen from time to time.

One in particular that comes to mind was while playing in the finals of a competitive senior league a few years back. I'd broken up a play and fed the puck to my partner, who in turn moved it up the ice. As we circled to head back up the ice, the guy from whom I'd taken it looked around to see if the ref was watching and then buried his butt-end about four inches deep in my gut (abs of steel, I don't have).

While I've always played physically, it's always been within the rules (to the point where I went over a year without getting a penalty, and that's in competitive hockey). This little !@#$ regularly played dirty and seemed to get away with it, due in large part to who he was. I'd had enough, determined that my taking a penalty wouldn't hurt our team and thought I'd teach him a lesson. I grabbed him by the back of the neck, flung him to the ice and mounted his chest, at which point I told him that if he ever attempted something like that again, he'd be getting scraped off the ice by the Zamboni.

Oddly enough, I never had a problem with him ever again. I guess between so rapidly placing him on his keyster and then telling him in a really low, calm voice what I was going to do made him reconsider what he would do around me. Even more odd was the fact that I didn't get a penalty on the play. One of the linesmen had seen what happened and told the ref. He got kicked out of the game, and our team scored on the powerplay.

The player in question was Glenn Anderson's brother. Anderson was a cheap shot artist and his brother was no different.

gameface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 06:50 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

i like to lay the stick across the ankel or the back of the knee

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Happy Pony

Im playing my first session of adult ice hockey after years of playing youth ice and roller hockey. I never have been one for cheap shots because I have been playing in an adult inline league since I was 15, and theres not much you can do physically to someone twice your age, so I just try to embarass 'em. Nothing hurts more than losing.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:38 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
It depends on the shot. If a person cross checks me, I'd give them a slash in the ankle. If a person throws an un-warranted punch, I'd cross check them, or maybe deck them with a shoulder check. I'm normally calm if a person starts to play cheap, so I don't retaliate much.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Jacob

Quote:

Wow you're a really tough guy.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Doctor Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Wow you're a really tough guy.
I don't claim to be, but I'll stick up for myself and my teammates on the ice. If you don't get that, then that's your problem.

Old
08-08-2006, 01:06 AM
vexXed

When I was at university in Edinburgh, I played for the university team and also a recreational team. The uni league was full contact and hosted players with a range of abilities. I mean this uni league is nothing compared to the ones in America/Canada, but there were a few decent players nonetheless. The rec league was non-checking and filled with players that were just looking for a laugh.

I gotta say that there were more tossers in the rec league just using the sport as an excuse to hurt people and get away with it. Personally I can't stand cheap shots and think it brings the game down in so many levels. Having said that I never retaliated to any C.S.'s as all these people were just looking for any excuse to fight. I'm not a fighter but if I did snap then I didn't fancy losing any fights and don't really see the point in giving the fecker the satisfaction of a beat down.

Some of you have said that once you retaliated, they stopped. In that rec league it would have just make things much worse, finally escalating to some ejections or worse.

I'm suprised to see that many of you don't care about the repercussions and do it anyway, perhaps this is a cultural difference? 'Throwing rocks', 'seeing who can spit the furthest' and 'who can bring back the biggest boar from the hunt' seem to be all very important in Scotland. They may see themselves as being tough but I see them as being *****ing w*nkstains.

One time our team reached the final in a rec league tournament. Near the end of the game we are losing, this guy blantently checks me in to the boards and I'm winded badly, down on the ice. Amidst the screams of "Get up you faker!" (another thing I hate are clueless fans. All I wanted to do was say "I'd like to see you in here you spectating *****." but I digress...) the play is still going on and I can't believe it. There was no call and I was actually raging mad, more so at the ref than the player who did it. Even if I played against him again I wouldn't cheap shot back. It's just not my game.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:45 AM
therealdeal

Quote:

Generally I try to keep my cool, in my hockey career as a defenseman from the age of 6 to 21 I probably have under 15 penalty minutes, most for trip or hook.

But this year in a no hitting league we were up 15-0, 3 seconds left, without the puck I got hit from behind and I was pretty pissed so I slashed him as hard as I could between the helmet and shoulder pads on the side of this neck. It was pretty dirty, but if I had the chance I'd do it again, just harder.

It also should be noted that he was about 5'11 280, and I'm about 5'7 140 soaking wet, definetly the smallest player on my team.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 02:28 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Generally I try to keep my cool, in my hockey career as a defenseman from the age of 6 to 21 I probably have under 15 penalty minutes, most for trip or hook.

But this year in a no hitting league we were up 15-0, 3 seconds left, without the puck I got hit from behind and I was pretty pissed so I slashed him as hard as I could between the helmet and shoulder pads on the side of this neck. It was pretty dirty, but if I had the chance I'd do it again, just harder.

It also should be noted that he was about 5'11 280, and I'm about 5'7 140 soaking wet, definetly the smallest player on my team.
I don't care how small you are, what you did is worthy of an assault charge in any league, and your willingness to do it again with even more force only lets us know that you would deserve it. I hope the referee gave you the Match Penalty for intent to injure.

The reason I don't ref rec hockey anymore is because of three kinds of players...

1. The a$$holes who think they're in the show and treat everybody like crap.

2. The a$$holes who can't just laugh at the guys pretending the 10:00pm start in an empty 100-seat arena is Game 7 of the SCF, and they decide to retaliate in an equally cheap and disgusting manner.

3. The a$$holes who don't appreciate the officials taking time away from their personal lives to spend a few evenings per week at the arena so they can play hockey.

With very few exceptions, all rec players I've had experience with can fit into one of these categories. To simplify it, I quit reffing rec hockey because the players are all a bunch of a$$holes.

BCCHL inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 02:33 AM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van View Post
I don't care how small you are, what you did is worthy of an assault charge in any league, and your willingness to do it again with even more force only lets us know that you would deserve it. I hope the referee gave you the Match Penalty for intent to injure.

The reason I don't ref rec hockey anymore is because of three kinds of players...

1. The a$$holes who think they're in the show and treat everybody like crap.

2. The a$$holes who can't just laugh at the guys pretending the 10:00pm start in an empty 100-seat arena is Game 7 of the SCF, and they decide to retaliate in an equally cheap and disgusting manner.

3. The a$$holes who don't appreciate the officials taking time away from their personal lives to spend a few evenings per week at the arena so they can play hockey.

With very few exceptions, all rec players I've had experience with can fit into one of these categories. To simplify it, I quit reffing rec hockey because the players are all a bunch of a$$holes.
He wasn't even hurt and he skated away and we both got 2 game suspension.

Even now knowing what I did was dirty, I'd still do it. If he pressed charges on me, I'd do the same to him.

Last edited by therealdeal: 08-08-2006 at 10:07 AM.
therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 07:42 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post

First, we are about the same size. I am a little taller a less then 10 pounds heavier. So I know it's not easy being the smallest guy out there. A lot of times you are the target because of your size.

Anyway, that is no excuse for what you did. You crossed the line. Instead of clubbing the guy risking permanent injury. The best thing to do would be to show him up. He'll never live down getting smoked by the little guy. That's why if I am going to do something I do it cleanly. Knock a guy that size on his back using your shoulder and no one messes with you again.

Old
08-08-2006, 07:59 AM
YoungJames

I drop the gloves if necessery, but usually I answer the cheap shot by just being a pest, a pain in the *** for the rest of the game. That way the ******* know's he can't affect me, and, furthermore, his own game messes up totally.

YoungJames is offline   Reply With Quote