HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NHL Players you saw as prospects

Old
08-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Choice

vCash: 500
NHL Players you saw as prospects

Kind of inspired by the jerseys thread...

Who are some players you saw play in person as prospects, that are now NHL regulars? I'm not gonna include at the AHL level, because that would make most people's lists really long, and you have a better idea of what kind of player they are at that point.

For me, the ones I can remember are Marcel Hossa in juniors for the Portland Winter Hawks in 01 and Maxim Afinogenov for Dynamo in Moscow, which I think was either 97 or 98.

I also found myself in Binghamton last year and went to go see Milledge.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

Although I wouldn't call him an NHL regular, I saw Burke Henry dominate in the WHL in Brandon a few times.

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Geogaddi

Use to watch Al Montoya be a brick wall for the Texas Tornadoes all the time in the NAHL. Makes it even sweeter he ended up being picked by the Rangers.

Besides that...i have to rely on videos and game replays on the Intranet for Prospects since Texas barely considers Hockey a Sport...

Sad when Hockey 101 appears in the newspapers every October and Mid-April.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:34 AM
Zil

I saw Elias and a whole lot of other Devils with the Albany River Rats.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:37 AM
Hyped

This isn't really fair since I'm from Canada and follow the junior leagues (mostly WHL since I live in the west) as much as the NHL so I'll just keep my list to current and former Rangers and off the top of my head:

Dan Blackburn
Marcel Hossa
Blair Betts
Burke Henry
Jason Labarbera
Garth Murray
Pavel Brendl (does he count?)
Jamie Lundmark
Filip Novak

This thread made me realize that I take the ability to watch these guys in junior for granted. Before you know it, instead of watching a guy in Red Deer, Saskatoon, Regina, etc. you're watching him on TV playing with or against your favorite team. It's a pretty cool thought...

Hyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:52 AM
Geogaddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
This isn't really fair since I'm from Canada and follow the junior leagues (mostly WHL since I live in the west) as much as the NHL so I'll just keep my list to current and former Rangers and off the top of my head:

Dan Blackburn
Marcel Hossa
Blair Betts
Burke Henry
Jason Labarbera
Garth Murray
Jamie Lundmark
Filip Novak

This thread made me realize that I take the ability to watch these guys in junior for granted. Before you know it, instead of watching a guy in Red Deer, Saskatoon, Regina, etc. you're watching him on TV playing with or against your favorite team. It's a pretty cool thought...
Lucky SOB....Watch some more of the Young Guns for me...I would love to be someplace where hockey is all the talk instead of the DALLAS COWGIRLS!

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:56 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped View Post

Dan Blackburn
Marcel Hossa
Blair Betts
Burke Henry
Jason Labarbera
Garth Murray
Jamie Lundmark
Filip Novak

I agree man. I would absolutely love to have the opportunity to watch major junior hockey on a regular basis. From the limited amount of exposure I have gotten to it, it seems to be really good hockey on top of the novelty of seeing future NHLers. Is New Jersey to far south to have a team in the Q?

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:56 AM
in the hall

eric nystrom count?

he played on apple core in long beach

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 07:38 AM
DutchShamrock

I had Trenton Titan season tickets for a while and saw Fedoruk, Fedetenko, Pat Leahey, Curtis Sanford and Valiquette play. Other guys I'm sure but can't remember them all. I just love the fact that Fedetenko was such a big part of taking down the Flyers in '04 after spending so much time in their system.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I went to school at Northeastern University with Dan McGillis and saw most of his college home games. I did get to see a lot of Hockey East prospects from visting teams as well, but other than Steve Kariya, few stick in my mind.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Levitate

Saw Tommy Salo play several times when he was with the Utah Grizzlies of the IHL. He was good, and despite the crap he gets, went on to have a good NHL career.

this doesn't quite count as "seeing him play" (cuz I"mpretty sure he didn't play that game) but I got Khabibulan's signature when I saw the Russian Penguins play the Salt Lake City Golden Eagles back in 93-94. At least I think it's his signature...I know he played with the team, and it looks like his signature, but I didn't know who the hell he was back then and only realized it a year ago or so when I was looking through the program I have.

I think there were some other good players on that team but I'd have to do back and look at the program.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Plato

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Lucky SOB....Watch some more of the Young Guns for me...I would love to be someplace where hockey is all the talk instead of the DALLAS COWGIRLS!

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 11:44 AM
HAPPY HOUR

In Sept. 1995 I got the pleasure of seeing Dale Purinton beat the daylights out of someone in a scrimmage against the Hartford Whalers farm team. The game was at Rye, and the Whalers had a very tall D-man playing for them, who in that game was the best player on the ice. He is still playing. Anyone care to guess??

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour View Post
In Sept. 1995 I got the pleasure of seeing Dale Purinton beat the daylights out of someone in a scrimmage against the Hartford Whalers farm team. The game was at Rye, and the Whalers had a very tall D-man playing for them, who in that game was the best player on the ice. He is still playing. Anyone care to guess??
Marek Malik

Old
08-08-2006, 12:00 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour View Post
Chris Pronger???

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Levitate

Pronger never played in the AHL

Old
08-08-2006, 12:31 PM
TheRedressor

Im thinking that it is Malik or Pronger, Levitate maybe it was a preseason AHL game?

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Levitate

maybe it was, but why would Pronger be playing an AHL preseason game? He'd be playing NHL preseason games and earning his spot on the Hartford team.

Malik was drafted by Hartford and played in Springfield during the '95-'96 season.

Old
08-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
I agree man. I would absolutely love to have the opportunity to watch major junior hockey on a regular basis. From the limited amount of exposure I have gotten to it, it seems to be really good hockey on top of the novelty of seeing future NHLers. Is New Jersey to far south to have a team in the Q?
It's fantastic hockey to watch and affordable for families too. It's fast-paced and physical with a lot of talent on the ice. I can't wait for Edmonton to get their junior team back next year so I don't have to make the many treks to Red Deer, Calgary, etc. If you are ever north of the border and have a chance to take in a junior game, I highly reccommend it...

Hyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:06 PM
TheRedressor

A guy who I saw play was Alex Tanguay right before his rookie season. I also saw his kid brother Maxime who is going to be a hell of a hockey player and will easily be drafted top 15 in this years draft.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Edge

I think I am disqualified from this...

When I was still in HS I got to see Bonk and Ryan Smyth before they were drafted.

Over the years with the Thunder I got to see Legace, Demitra and a few others as well.

1994 was the first draft that I REALLY followed before hand.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Choice

Yeah I kind of figured people in Canada who get to watch the CHL on a regular basis, or people south of the border who have access to those games might have lists a little to long to post.

Old
08-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Choice

Forgot to add a good one-

in 04-05 i was in Youngstown, OH with my college club team playing against Youngstown St. On the ice before us was the US u17 NTDP squad featuring Erik Johnson against the NAHL Youngstown Phantoms. I got to watch a couple periods of that game, which was pretty cool. Although I cant say I remember Johnson standing out like I remember Afinogenov and Marcel Hossa, guess that reflects my scouting skills.

Old
08-13-2006, 12:26 PM
xevious

I got to see Todd Harvey and Bryan Berard play on the OHL Junior Wings, I had a feeling they would make it to the show. Cairns too but I wasn't so sure about him LOL.

Also saw Samsonov play for the (defunct) IHL Detroit Vipers. And Legwand on the Plymouth Whalers too.

xevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Padawan
Former *********

Live or via TV? I've seen lots of players via TV. The seen live number is lower.
Anyway, I've seen live these players before they were NHL'ers, all of them in SM-liiga...

Brian Rafalski
Miikka Kiprusoff
Tony Lydman
Ossi Väänänen
Jussi Jokinen
Jussi Markkanen
Olli Jokinen
Kimmo Timonen
Saku Koivu
Teemu Selänne
Joni Pitkänen
Antero Niittymäki