HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 08:39 PM
OILSLICK94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Boston? They'd be fine. They could add Iginla and Visnovsky, and likely still have space for more. I almost expect them to do that.
Thanks to Charles WANG & Garth Snow's NY Islanders. Taking Thomas 5mil off the books....

Old
03-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by OILSLICK94 View Post
Thanks to Charles WANG & Garth Snow's NY Islanders. Taking Thomas 5mil off the books....
, yup impossible not to call that well played

Old
03-24-2013, 08:43 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILSLICK94 View Post
Visnovsky would be an ideal pickup for that team. Identical contributions to Kaberle's back in 2011, with even more dynamic offensive ability.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:54 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Visnovsky would be an ideal pickup for that team. Identical contributions to Kaberle's back in 2011, with even more dynamic offensive ability.
Plus he can play with his country man in Big Z Chara

Old
03-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Roof Daddy

I really hope Tambo is an active seller on deadline day, not just to gain prospects/picks, but we need roster spots and an identity change. My (hopefully) reasonable take on some deadline deals:

Hemmer and Whitney for BOS 1st and Camara. Assuming the Kings outbid the Bruins for Iggy, Hemmer can give them some much needed speed and skill paired with his buddy Krejci. Whitney offers a more offensive minded option on their bottom pair and 2nd unit PP option.

Khabby to Jets for 4th rder. Pavelec is very up and down and may benefit from a more seasoned vet as his backup than current one (Montoya). Fans in the Peg will like it for nostalgic reasons.

Belanger to VAN/ANH/MON for a 4th. All teams that are very weak on the dot and killing penalties (Anaheim in particular).

Not sure if there'd be any interest in Petrell/Jones/Peckham/Potter but I would take whatever I could get for them. Fast forward to the off-season and I'd tell Smitty he's either retiring or being bought out, his choice.

The mainstays would look like this, with much of the lineup to be filled via trade/UFA

Hall-RNH-Ebs
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yak
???-Horc-???
Harti-???-Brown

???-???
Smid-JSchultz
Fistric-Klefbom

???
Dubie

Petry and NSchultz must go in deals for an upgrade in order to build a proper top pair.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:54 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Would you give up Hemsky+Petry for Dougie Hamilton?

I feel if Hamilton is the one going back they'd want Petry over Whitney
Quote:
No, I wouldn't. I don't think that highly of him yet. I'd swap Smyth(possibly+) for Caron

Edit: With regards to Hamilton, two things, Myers looked great at the same age, and the Chara factor. How much better do your defensemen become when you have one of the best in the world on the blueline with them.
For what my opinion is worth, I would be very surprised if Dougie doesn't become a great #1 D-man. I was pushing for him hard at 2011 draft (to trade up for him) and said then and now that he was way better than strome. Pietrangelo was a beast when he played for Niagara. Dougie was a bit better.

Ice Dogs record with Dougie Hamilton this year 20-12. Ice Dogs record without Dougie Hamilton this year (still with Strome and Ritchie through most) 10-26. (counting all types of losses together)

That was also a huge eye opener for me. It really pushed me to the idea that I would gladly add to Eberle or Yakupov if it meant getting a guy like Weber, Pietrangelo or Doughty in return. That said, I'd be all for taking a gamble of something like Hemsky + Petry for Hamilton.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Heavy Dee

Only Florida has less regulation wins than us. Cool

Old
03-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
So here's the asking price on Iginla

Quote:
Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec 37m
Source confirming that #CalgaryFlames are asking for TWO prospects and a draft pick for Jarome Iginla. No question, Iggy being shopped.
So from the Bruins that would be Krug, Knight and a 1st

Old
03-24-2013, 10:09 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I wouldn't even blink to give up Hemsky & Petry for Hamilton.

Pretty sure Bos wouldn't do that.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:11 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
So here's the asking price on Iginla

So from the Bruins that would be Krug, Knight and a 1st
Subban is a possibility too

Old
03-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

2 prospects and a 1st for iginla is a rebuild move, something Calgary has been adamant about not doing for quite some time now. Should be amusing if it happens.

It's just too bad that they'll have to find another GM since Feaster has already said they can find another GM if they want to do a rebuild there. I was kind of looking forward to the flames being run for a while yet by a guy who put together that hilarious offersheet to RoR.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:21 PM
topchowda

Would be willingly to give up:
Eberle, Hemsky, Gagner, MPS, Petr, Whitney, N.Scultz entire bottom 6, any prospect outside Klefbom (maybe him to)

Would want

Top pairing defensman, likely Bouwmeester, Yandle. But id take any #1
Top 6 pwf or big body with skill. Michalek, Erkisson sort of player
Bottom 6 that can score.
2 or 3 bottom 6 with size that can shut down
Legit top 4 guy.

I would trade RNH to in a package for a big #1 center

Erkisson and Bouwmeester are our two biggest needs right now. Dubinsky would also be nice to get

Old
03-24-2013, 10:22 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I really hope Tambo is an active seller on deadline day, not just to gain prospects/picks, but we need roster spots and an identity change. My (hopefully) reasonable take on some deadline deals:

Hemmer and Whitney for BOS 1st and Camara. Assuming the Kings outbid the Bruins for Iggy, Hemmer can give them some much needed speed and skill paired with his buddy Krejci. Whitney offers a more offensive minded option on their bottom pair and 2nd unit PP option.

Khabby to Jets for 4th rder. Pavelec is very up and down and may benefit from a more seasoned vet as his backup than current one (Montoya). Fans in the Peg will like it for nostalgic reasons.

Belanger to VAN/ANH/MON for a 4th. All teams that are very weak on the dot and killing penalties (Anaheim in particular).

Not sure if there'd be any interest in Petrell/Jones/Peckham/Potter but I would take whatever I could get for them. Fast forward to the off-season and I'd tell Smitty he's either retiring or being bought out, his choice.

The mainstays would look like this, with much of the lineup to be filled via trade/UFA

Hall-RNH-Ebs
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yak
???-Horc-???
Harti-???-Brown

???-???
Smid-JSchultz
Fistric-Klefbom

???
Dubie

Petry and NSchultz must go in deals for an upgrade in order to build a proper top pair.
So your basically giving away our second best winger this year and replacing him with nothing for next season, how's this make us better next year? Hemsky has another year on his deal, if he's dealt it'll be a hockey trade for a top 4 d man or someone who is very close to being a top 4 d man. Maybe a Roman Polak type D with a pick, or maybe to Nashville for Kevin Klein or Roman Josi. I Also don't think Smid is back next year so we could probably deal him for a 1st, and Whitney should be able to land us a 2nd by himself or a b level prospect.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:27 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
2 prospects and a 1st for iginla is a rebuild move, something Calgary has been adamant about not doing for quite some time now. Should be amusing if it happens.

It's just too bad that they'll have to find another GM since Feaster has already said they can find another GM if they want to do a rebuild there. I was kind of looking forward to the flames being run for a while yet by a guy who put together that hilarious offersheet to RoR.
Not necessarily, they might just be writing off this season. IMO they don't start rebuilding until they trade Kipper. It'll be funny if they end up with a couple prospects that can jump right up and play and add JD through the draft. Then next season end up hopping over the Oilers in the standings again. This board would have a melt down!

Old
03-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Not necessarily, they might just be writing off this season. IMO they don't start rebuilding until they trade Kipper. It'll be funny if they end up with a couple prospects that can jump right up and play and add JD through the draft. Then next season end up hopping over the Oilers in the standings again. This board would have a melt down!
Plugging in rookies and prospects just makes the team worse, just like we've seen in Edmonton. Add in Kiprusoff declining significantly, and the fact that Calgary is no more a prime UFA destination than Edmonton - it's a rebuild if they move Iginla whether they want it or not.

They very well could be passing Edmonton next year, but fighting over who's worse in the bottom 10 isn't anything to get upset about.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
So your basically giving away our second best winger this year and replacing him with nothing for next season, how's this make us better next year? Hemsky has another year on his deal, if he's dealt it'll be a hockey trade for a top 4 d man or someone who is very close to being a top 4 d man. Maybe a Roman Polak type D with a pick, or maybe to Nashville for Kevin Klein or Roman Josi. I Also don't think Smid is back next year so we could probably deal him for a 1st, and Whitney should be able to land us a 2nd by himself or a b level prospect.
In what world is Hemsky our 2nd best winger, especially looking ahead to next season? In terms of skill, perhaps, but there is more to hockey than stick handling drills. To a team heavy on grit but light on skill Hemmer is an appealing player, a team like the Bruins. For us however, what he brings is beyond redundant. Yak and Ebs are our right wingers in the top 6, and Hemsky is the complete opposite of what you want in the bottom 6. What team is moving a Dman out of their top 4 for Hemsky?

Also, I didn't fill in the blanks on the proposed roster because I wanted to hear suggestions from other posters. My hope would be a guy like Eric Fehr in UFA, maybe for around 2mil or so. Ideal 3rd liner with size (6'4 212), solid defensively, can PK a bit, plays with some grit and yet very disciplined (only 98 PIMs in 294 career games). He brings much more of what we don't have vs Hemsky bringing what we're already rich in.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:45 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Plugging in rookies and prospects just makes the team worse, just like we've seen in Edmonton. Add in Kiprusoff declining significantly, and the fact that Calgary is no more a prime UFA destination than Edmonton - it's a rebuild if they move Iginla whether they want it or not.

They very well could be passing Edmonton next year, but fighting over who's worse in the bottom 10 isn't anything to get upset about.
Depends on the rookies, maybe they get some guys who have had a sniff at the NHL or are more mature 23/24. I highly doubt that Calgary will ice as many 18,19,20 year old rookies as Edmonton has over the last 3 years next year.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:51 PM
workedforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Would be willingly to give up:
Eberle

Would want

Top pairing defensman, likely Bouwmeester, But id take any #1
April fools isn't for a week still.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Paralyzer008

If you are going to give up Eberle (which is stupid, but we are on HFBoards here), then you're going to need a guy who will be on a pair with Schultz who is a true No.1 d-man. The guy would have to be young with plenty of value. You're looking at maybe:

Oh wait, am I hearing that none of those guys are available? Basically. I'd be tempted for sure if Phoenix offered OEL, but they love OEL and they just extended him. Shattenkirk is maybe not defensive enough for my tastes and STL doesn't want to deal him. So that's what's happening.

If Hemsky can help land us a No.2 D-man in a package, then great. If we wait for 2014 UFA and sign Dion Phaneuf, then great. If you're going to deal Eberle though, you better think it through first.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Depends on the rookies, maybe they get some guys who have had a sniff at the NHL or are more mature 23/24. I highly doubt that Calgary will ice as many 18,19,20 year old rookies as Edmonton has over the last 3 years next year.
Unlikely given who is making the trade, not to mention Iginla's UFA status limits his value.

Nor is Calgary a couple of moves from respectability either.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:15 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Would anyone be willing to do Hemsky for Booth+ in the off-season?

I know there's a major discrepancy in production statswise, but I think Booth is being mis-used out in Vancouver.

Kesler is a low-IQ offensive player, and when combined with Booth (also low-IQ), they don't produce much together.

Booth is at his best when with one of those high-IQ C's (Weiss in FLA) - he'd look really good as RNH/Gagner's LW. He's younger, cheaper (4.25M), and bigger than Hemsky - and I'm not willing to write him off just yet. He's put up 30+ goals in the league before. Our line-up heading into next season would read:

Booth-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner (4-5M)-Yakupov
MPS-Horcoff-______
Brown-______-____
If you could add a guy with some spunk to that 3rd line (Dupuis, Lapierre) and play them 18-19 min/night to win the match-up game, you got a pretty good line-up there.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:

I know there's a major discrepancy in production statswise, but I think Booth is being mis-used out in Vancouver.

Kesler is a low-IQ offensive player, and when combined with Booth (also low-IQ), they don't produce much together.

Booth is at his best when with one of those high-IQ C's (Weiss in FLA) - he'd look really good as RNH/Gagner's LW. He's younger, cheaper (4.25M), and bigger than Hemsky - and I'm not willing to write him off just yet. He's put up 30+ goals in the league before. Our line-up heading into next season would read:

Booth-RNH-Eberle
MPS-Horcoff-______
Brown-______-____
If you could add a guy with some spunk to that 3rd line (Dupuis, Lapierre) and play them 18-19 min/night to win the match-up game, you got a pretty good line-up there.
I've been watching David Booth for the last year. All speed, nothing else. He plays scared now, he's injury prone, this is a move I'd hate Tambo for.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:26 PM
topchowda

Quote:

Booth-RNH-Eberle
MPS-Horcoff-______
Brown-______-____
At this point I dont even think Booth is an upgrade over MPS. Both are big body LW. Booth drives to the net better but has 0 hockey iq and is injury prone. MPS is a little smarter I feel and is still developing. He is also a lower cap hit

Old
03-24-2013, 11:30 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by workedforme View Post
April fools isn't for a week still.
I feel Bouwmeester is top pairing, hes not a #1 guy like OEL, Weber, Keith, but he is solid. But if we give up ebs, it would be for a better defenseman than Bouwmeester forsure.

I am all for making this team better, even it means trading awa Eberle, noone is untouchable, if Tambo thinks like that then this team will continue to make Fistric liek trades. Good Gm's make the right deal no matter then player. Kessel, Richards, Carter were all traded away, so can any of the big 4

Old
03-24-2013, 11:36 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I feel Bouwmeester is top pairing, hes not a #1 guy like OEL, Weber, Keith, but he is solid. But if we give up ebs, it would be for a better contract than Bouwmeester forsure.
Fixed. Defenseman wise, you're not going to get a true #1 for Eberle.

You might be able to squeeze out a player with potential to become one, but definitely not an established #1.

McDonagh, Carlson, Subban

These are the guys I'd target - doubt he's even worth that much though.

Closed Thread