HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Ryker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Young goalies are capable of developing and improving? You don't say.
I know, weird concept, right?

Old
03-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Because he wasn't as good as he is now.
why did a .932 / 2.00 goalie who played 54 games in a starting role with the Flyers 2 years ago post an .877 /3.23 in the playoffs ? and wind up in the press box ?

you think he just "became great" this off season ? ... just when he left the Flyers, and it has nothing to do with CBJ as a team ?

you think it has nothing to do with the fact that CBJ have had the fewest turnovers, a much better face-off percentage, have been down a man 99 times [while the Flyers have had 123 times] ?

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 03-23-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old
03-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
why did a .932 / 2.00 goalie who played 54 games in a starting role with the Flyers 2 years ago post an .877 /3.23 in the playoffs ? and wind up in the press box ?

you think he just "became great" this off season ? ... just when he left the Flyers, and it has nothing to do with CBJ as a team ?

you think it has nothing to do with the fact that CBJ have had the fewest turnovers, a much better face-off percentage, have been down a man 99 times [while the Flyers have had 123 times] ?
Because he was a rookie, unused to the pressure?

Goalies in Columbus also face more shots, and in general the other team controls the play in their end more often. Yet Bob hasn't collapsed when that happens.

03-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Ryker

Quote:
you think he suddenly got "great" just when he left the Flyers, and it has nothing to do with CBJ as a team ?

No, that could very well have played a role.

Quote:
Because he didn't play well in those five games. And you forgot to mention he posted a .722/8.11 in the playoffs last year. Now that is an improvement!

Also, I don't give a **** about Bob, I was never too fond of him and still am not. But he's good, and I have no trouble admitting that. I would also like Mason to have won the number one job in Columbus over him, but he hasn't. Because not only has Mason been average, Bob has been better than average. I still don't think he's an elite goalie, but you need to face the reality.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
which begs the questions: if Bob is such a stud #1 ELITE goalie, why did he get yanked from the playoffs 2 years ago ? why did his numbers stink last year while a Flyer ?

could it have been the Flyers turnovers, awful team D & frequent lack of hustle ??

Bob is a beast, obviously ..... but had awful numbers as a Flyer ....how can that be ?
This was like Bob's first bad game in a month. Did you have this rant saved in the archives for a rainy day?

Old
03-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
This was like Bob's first bad game in a month. Did you have this rant saved in the archives for a rainy day?
He had 1 game below .900 in March, so clearly he's worse than Bryz now. Bryz and his 5 starts below .900 in March, with less games played.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

It's also worth noting that Lundqvist last year behind a powerhouse Rangers defense still posted 2 starts around .750. Goalies have bad games. It happens. The problem is that Bryz has those lackluster games really often, instead of rarely.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:48 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I still don't think he's an elite goalie
well, the way people here are talking, Bob is so much better than the Flyers goalies, all we need was to have kept him & CUP = ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
This was like Bob's first bad game in a month.
the better Bob does with a different team, only supports what I have been saying: the Flyers style, awful Team D, frequent lack of hustle & number of turnovers leading to high % shots against, makes it very difficult for ANY goaltender & this fan base really needs to stop using the goalie [and a contract] as the scapegoat

Old
03-24-2013, 02:53 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
well, the way people here are talking, Bob is so much better than the Flyers goalies, all we need was to have kept him & CUP = ours.

the better Bob does with a different team, only supports what I have been saying: the Flyers style, awful Team D, frequent lack of hustle & number of turnovers leading to high % shots against, makes it very difficult for ANY goaltender & this fan base really needs to stop using the goalie [and a contract] as the scapegoat
How do you explain Dubnyk beating Brzygalov's save percentage? He's on a team which is far and away MUCH worse on defense than the Flyers, yet somehow he blows Bryz away. How do you explain such a mystery?

Oh wait...it's not that mysterious. Bryz isn't that good.

If it comes to tearing down the team and restructuring them just so Bryz is less of a liability, or buying him out...buying him out is the easier option in the long run.

Edit: You love the "drop any goalie on this team and they'll struggle argument." Well, here's some food for thought: If you dropped Bryz onto nearly any other team, his numbers would remain bad. He gives up goals on scoring chances that occur against any team in any game. He'll still face scoring chances against. He'll still get scored on.

Edit 2: Anderson is playing on an Ottawa team that has had their D-corps gutted by injuries. He's managing to lead the league in GAA and more importantly, save percentage. Also on a team that allows the 2nd most shots per game, and probably a high amount of scoring opportunities per game. Yet he isn't getting shredded.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-24-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
St Louis, Minny, and Canucks gave up zero chances, and no odd man rushes each tonight. Pretty impressive.

And the Jackets game last night looked like the Flyers when your goalie wasn't very good. Diff is Bob was bad once in a month as opposed to being good once a month.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:12 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Young goalies are capable of developing and improving? You don't say.
In b4 BP1974 suggests Bryz is also a young goalie who is still developing.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:24 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:

Jakub Voracek in Columbus: Best season was 0.61 PPG
Gets traded to Philly then after 1 year, he's over a PPG and on pace to score more goals in 48 games than he's ever scored in 82 games.

If we apply your "Bob Analysis" to Voracek, then we conclude that it's all about the team Jake is on, the fact that he's playing w/ Giroux, etc. It has nothing to do w/ the fact that he's a young, developing player who simply took the next step forward.

That analysis would be dead wrong. Just like it's dead wrong in Bob's case. Bob was amazing for us his rookie year till he wore down. Then yes, he struggled in the playoffs, but Laviolette didn't help at all, nor did the fact that he'd already long eclipsed the most games he'd ever played in a single season. He was tired, worn down, pretty normal actually for a rookie. Then the next year, he was thrown into the backup role, not given regular chances to work on his game, and his play suffered. Is that really surprising? For a goalie who is a freak athletically but needs refinement, not playing regularly is the absolute worst thing for your development.

You'll never admit it, but during his time here, Bob oozed potential. He flashed athleticism that many goalies could only dream about and he had cat like reflexes too. His positioning was poor at times, as was his rebound control, but being such a big fan of goalies, you of all people should know that when you're dealing w/ a young goalie, that's the kind of stuff that comes with time and refinement.

All I ask of you is that you watch one or two Columbus Blue Jackets games. Watch the team in front of Bob struggle to possess the puck, watch Bob get peppered with 40 shots and then come back here and tell me that the team and system in front of Bob is so good.

Because I've watched the Blue Jackets play. I wanted it to be about the system, nothing makes me angrier than thinking we let a franchise goalie slip through our grasp. But after watching the games, I honestly can't say it's the system... it's Bob.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:38 AM
FlyingPhilly

I found out something today. Apparently, most posters here say that Tampa has the worst defense and goalie in the league. I could have sworn the Flyers had the worst defense in the league. I mean all the goals against is because the defense was horrible, so the goalie gets no blame.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:14 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto64dr View Post
I don't get the hate on Boucher. Wasn't it his shootout win in 2010 that propelled us into the playoffs and didn't he win the series against the Devils that carried us into the Montreal series during which time he got hurt and Leighton had to take over. I also recall his rookie season when he took us to the conference finals.

His lifetime GAA and Save% is better than Bryz's and his Playoff record is better than Bryz's. Everyone says Bryz benefited from his previous teams defensive style. Boucher set the all time consecutive shutout record while playing for a poor Coyote team.

Considering the teams Boosh played for between his stints with the Flyers and the good teams Bryz played for it seems to me that Boucher is much better than Bryz.

Now, don't take that to mean I think Boosh can take us to the promised land, because I feel his best days are behind him. But given some time to warm to the task I'd rather take my chances with Boosh than Bryz.

But as typical, if Boosh got a start and didn't give instantaneous results he'd get benched immediately because for some reason, money, we're going to ride this Bryz train right off the cliff.

The bold is the main reason I'm tired of the name Boosh. The guy won't go away and has had more than plenty of opportunities to prove his worth.

He was good young, but as stated his best times have past.

As for the comment about the cup run year and SO victory; Boosh was one of the main reasons we were in such a position that we needed to squeak into the playoffs in the first place.

.899 SAV%
2.76 GAA
9-18-3 record

2:55
4:40

Both atrocious goals. Makes me want to gauge my eyes out.

Then watch the idiot almost score on himself at 5:55. Very Bryz like.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:20 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

2012/13

Godbrovsky- 2.17GAA .927 Sav % Good for 8th and 3rd in the league.

BUMzgolav- 2.79GAA .898 Sav % Good for 32nd and 40th.

What a year this guys having! Thank god for Bryz!

Old
03-24-2013, 05:18 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Old
03-24-2013, 05:26 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
2012/13

Godbrovsky- 2.17GAA .927 Sav % Good for 8th and 3rd in the league.

BUMzgolav- 2.79GAA .898 Sav % Good for 32nd and 40th.

What a year this guys having! Thank god for Bryz!
BUT HES THE TEAM MVP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
03-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

you guys are right, Bob is clearly an ELITE STUD #1 top 5 goalie in the NHL.

all it took was him getting out of Philly.

he finished season 1 by riding the press box in the playoffs, and posted abysmal numbers last year, while playing roughly 1 of every 3 games .... says alot about how awful the Flyers are defensively, when even the GREAT Bob asccomplished nothing here.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:

he finished season 1 by riding the press box in the playoffs, and posted abysmal numbers last year, while playing roughly 1 of every 3 games .... says alot about how awful the Flyers are defensively, when even the GREAT Bob asccomplished nothing here.
so are you saying that a goalies personal abilities are irrelevant? ??

so Bobo doing well in CBJ us purely a reflection of that team and not his own body of work?

yea whatever..

Old
03-24-2013, 08:23 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
so are you saying that a goalies personal abilities are irrelevant? ??

so Bobo doing well in CBJ us purely a reflection of that team and not his own body of work?

yea whatever..
Bob is an outstanding athlete with amazing drive and work ethics. I was truly sad when he was shiped out, but understood that it would be the best for him.

In addition to his personal qualities, I think he now has a goalie coach who addresses his weaknesses and promotes his strength.

I do not think that our goalie coach was good at it.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:

No, all it took was time.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:18 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

I still wanna buy out Bryz, even though he occasionally has games like this (which are few and far between). Am I the only one?

Old
03-24-2013, 11:36 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

I didn't get to watch the game tonight, did Bryz look shaky or solid?

Old
03-24-2013, 11:38 PM
CyborgLindros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
I still wanna buy out Bryz, even though he occasionally has games like this (which are few and far between). Am I the only one?
No your not, but not this offseason. Frodo needs to be bought out first. Invest in a backup that can be consistent/win the job, and wait for the 2nd buyout.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:39 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I didn't get to watch the game tonight, did Bryz look shaky or solid?
Solid. One of his better games of the year.

Closed Thread