HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Gay (LGBT) posters on HFBoards?

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 12:17 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
Edit: Gay people do not bother me.
damn, you edited your post.
I think you originally said something along the lines they make their choice how do live their lives.....am I right?

Well, as a straight guy I don't remember the day I woke up and decided "hey I'm straight and like girls" do you recall waking up thinking that?

Likewise I don't think gay people wake up and decide they like people of the same sex.

My point is.....IT'S NOT A CHOICE!!!

Think about it, a gay teenager making the choice to be gay?
Just to put up with the hate, bullying and other crap they deal with.
Not to mention frequent thoughts of suicide.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:27 AM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
Does this mean you believe that we should prevent people from under going an operation that they feel is best for them? Statistics show that a great majority of people that have had a transgender operation do not regret it. Should we take that possibility away from them?

I am not sure if things are as straight forward as you believe. Topics of sex and gender (generally within gender studies these are not seen as the same thing) are very complicated and I think it takes much more evidence than we currently have to take away an individual's right to do what they want with their own body. I could not imagine what it would feel like to feel as though I was trapped within a body of the wrong sex and I am not going to suggest that these people are somehow mistaken and we should make such personal decisions for them.
Absolutely not, they should be afforded the same rights as everyone else, just that their situation creates sociological peculiarities. Coming from a country like canada, there could be arguements that their gender reassignment surgeries shouldn't be covered under our universal health care because their surgery isn't deemed necessary. I'm not really one to comment on that, because the necessity of that surgery would be most aptly determined by professionals like psychologists. And if their gender reassignment surgeries were all of a sudden covered by our health care system, if they aren't already, I wouldn't care.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:30 AM
Primrose Everdeen
The Shermanator

vCash: 564
I'd consider it irrelevant personally. Granted there are some people I've played with who were husbands/wives, but sexuality is not something you bring to the rink with you, regardless of details such as orientation. If I found out someone who I'd been playing with was gay it wouldn't bother me at all. Really no different than if I found out he was an accountant. It's just who he is as a person, no big deal.

Not sure how coherent that was.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:31 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Absolutely not, they should be afforded the same rights as everyone else, just that their situation creates sociological peculiarities. Coming from a country like canada, there could be arguements that their gender reassignment surgeries shouldn't be covered under our universal health care because their surgery isn't deemed necessary. I'm not really one to comment on that, because the necessity of that surgery would be most aptly determined by professionals like psychologists. And if their gender reassignment surgeries were all of a sudden covered by our health care system, I wouldn't care.
We still don't cover dental and eye care while most people in this country still need some form of second coverage on top of our health care to pay for things. If our universal health care started covering gender reassignment, it certainly would be one of many things needed on the Universal Health Care menu to be checked off.

For some reason people have this attitude that gender reassignment is like getting a tattoo. It's pretty funny. I stopped getting angry about stuff like this in the 90s. Better to just try your best to educate.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:33 AM
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
My point is.....IT'S NOT A CHOICE!!!
Any form of sexual attraction is not something we are entirely conscious of. There is simply no way beautiful women could become unbeautiful to me for example, it is beyond my control.

Studying the history of sexuality within human cultures and the animal kingdom is fascinating. I hope one day a thread like this will look hilariously old fashioned and no one will think twice about other people's sexual preferences.

Also the stereotype that gay men are generally feminine or gay women are masculine needs to die ASAP. Alexander the Great was quite possibly the world's greatest military commander and he almost certainly had romantic relationships with men. The same is probably true with Julius Caesar.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:35 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Also the stereotype that gay men are generally feminine or gay women are masculine needs to die ASAP. Alexander the Great was quite possibly the world's greatest military commander and he almost certainly had romantic relationships with men. The same is probably true with Julius Caesar.
I'm one of the opinion we'll use the words "hunter" and "gatherer" instead of masculine and feminine. It's simply character traits, not gender traits.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:37 AM
Mickey Mouse

I have no problem with the LGBT community. If anything I'm impressed by their courage. As a heterosexual male I have never had to declare my sexuality. It must be a tough decision to come out knowing that not all of the people you associate with will look at you the same way, family included, from that point on. Hopefully society as a whole continues to become more accepting toward those who are brave enough to declare their homosexuality.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:38 AM
JJM777

I absolutely love sports especially hockey. I am a die hard Pens fan. I am not happy they traded J Morrow for B Morrow. Oh and I'm gay. 95% of people can't tell ....unless a spider jumps on me.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:41 AM
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJM777 View Post
95% of people can't tell ....unless a spider jumps on me.
Haha based upon this people would think I was gay whenever a spider jumps on me. Damn those things.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:50 AM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

I'm gay as well. And no one would ever know unless they asked me though.

I play on a team with a lot of gay people too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJM777 View Post
I absolutely love sports especially hockey. I am a die hard Pens fan. I am not happy they traded J Morrow for B Morrow. Oh and I'm gay. 95% of people can't tell ....unless a spider jumps on me.
Quote:
Haha based upon this people would think I was gay whenever a spider jumps on me. Damn those things.
I scream like a girl when spiders land on me. But I think that's true of many people D:

Old
03-25-2013, 12:52 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
A few of my good friends are gay. No problem with it whatsoever. I just wish my parents felt the same way.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:56 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
A few of my good friends are gay. No problem with it whatsoever. I just wish my parents felt the same way.
Neither did mine, so I made sure to never give them a grandchild while they were alive. Spiteful but worth it.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:07 AM
Wingsfan2965*

I should preface this by saying I'm straight, and that I don't hate gay people. At the same time, I don't support homosexuality, and if I were in the situation where I had to undress/shower/whatever in front of a homosexual individual.

Does that make me homophobic? Because the way I see it, if you claim you were born attracted to the same gender, who is to say I wasn't born to be uncomfortable with a person of the same gender being attracted to me? You can very easily make that argument, and yet for as much as people scold those who actually do hate homosexuality, there are homosexual people who equally hate those who are uncomfortable with it.

Tried to make that respectful as I could, and for the gay people out there, I hope you can understand that from my standpoint, there's no dislike, just disagreement.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:22 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
I should preface this by saying I'm straight, and that I don't hate gay people. At the same time, I don't support homosexuality, and if I were in the situation where I had to undress/shower/whatever in front of a homosexual individual.

Does that make me homophobic? Because the way I see it, if you claim you were born attracted to the same gender, who is to say I wasn't born to be uncomfortable with a person of the same gender being attracted to me? You can very easily make that argument, and yet for as much as people scold those who actually do hate homosexuality, there are homosexual people who equally hate those who are uncomfortable with it.

Tried to make that respectful as I could, and for the gay people out there, I hope you can understand that from my standpoint, there's no dislike, just disagreement.
It's okay to be uncomfortable. I'm uncomfortable with facial piercings, doesn't mean I think that people with them are bad people. Nobody said you had to be comfortable.

Not supporting it? That's where things get... I don't know, comical?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:27 AM
Wingsfan2965*

How is not supporting it comical? Everybody has their opinion.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:38 AM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
How is not supporting it comical? Everybody has their opinion.
I found your use of the word 'support' to be strange given the context. What do you mean you don't support homosexuality?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:39 AM
Larry Hoover

Just wanted to say my .02 cents.

1) I have no problem with people who are gay. I do have problems with those out spoken LGBT members who feel they need to impose their liberal beliefs on all those who don't agree. What I mean by this is if you're gay, I have no problem with that, go ahead, get married, etc...But please, don't have these ridiculous festivals (pride parades). It's sexually uncomfortable. And before you call me a bigot for this, what I mean is when you have guys in leather chaps showing off their butt and making out in public etc...I'm sure the LGBT community would be upset by a straight pride parade where hetro sexual's were half naked prancing around and making out.

2) I have a theory, not scientific but am curious, that there is at least some freedom of choice when it comes to sexual orientation. It is my belief that many people are bi sexual and do not realize this and simply have their heart set on 1 sexuality and have not explored the opposite. Look at ancient cultures where men used to have sex with other men and other women just because it was normal, Afghan culture where there is a lot of sex between men and boys, the whole Priest scandal etc...

Imagine there was a new planet where 97% of the population was gay. They adopted a child and raised him in this gay planet. Can you seriously tell me that the percentage of gay people on this planet would be equal to the percentage of gay people on Earth?

Just me spilling out my thoughts.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:43 AM
RedWinger10

As a straight man who loves the sport of hockey I can say I am proud to have all types of people involved with the sport. Weather it be race, gender, or sexuality I believe the diversity is a good thing for the sport. And shared interests are what afterall bring us together.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:47 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

I can't wait for the day when the gay athletes in our league can be themselves.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:57 AM
Larry Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
I can't wait for the day when the gay athletes in our league can be themselves.
Why can't they be themselves right now? Someone may make fun of them for it? Reality check: players who chirp on the ice will make fun of a player for anything...their looks, their skills, sexual partners, etc...If they're afraid of being ridiculed than that's their problem, not the leagues.

"can't wait for the day when ugly athletes can be themselves"

This is how you sound to me.

Only problem I have with an LGBT athlete is dressing room issues, like someone being uncomfortable being naked in the same room as a homosexual male. Personally I wouldn't care, but I'm sure some would (and they have every right to...the same way a women would want to get dressed in a different room than a man).

Old
03-25-2013, 01:59 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
Why can't they be themselves right now? Someone may make fun of them for it? Reality check: players who chirp on the ice will make fun of a player for anything...their looks, their skills, sexual partners, etc...If they're afraid of being ridiculed than that's their problem, not the leagues.

"can't wait for the day when ugly athletes can be themselves"

This is how you sound to me.
Because of this....

Quote:
Only problem I have with an LGBT athlete is dressing room issues, like someone being uncomfortable being naked in the same room as a homosexual male. Personally I wouldn't care, but I'm sure some would (and they have every right to...the same way a women would want to get dressed in a different room than a man).

Old
03-25-2013, 02:00 AM
JJM777

Well I think the OP was wondering if there were a lot of gay members on here chatting rather than to debate whether it is right or wrong. As a gay male, I personally don't get involved in any public displays because it just isnt me. I personally don't see anything wrong with what wingsfan2965 is saying. He is uncomfortable with it....so be it. The problem would lie in protesting it which he is not. I respect him more in trying to state his opinion but being polite while doing so.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:01 AM
Joey Moss

I have nothing against gay people.. I know it's not a choice and it's not right to judge someone because of it. The thing that can sometimes get to me is gay people who are open about their sex life and basically just all around open in a creepy way around straight people. I feel it's something that should be kept to yourself. Like the show on MTV with all the gay guys talking is just so uncomfortable to watch.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:01 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
I'm sure the LGBT community would be upset by a straight pride parade where hetro sexual's were half naked prancing around and making out.
I think it's called what the majority of western society does all of the time, especially at night on weekends.

I always love the, "Why can't white christian straight men from the West have their own special day of things?" argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
The thing that can sometimes get to me is gay people who are open about their sex life and basically just all around open in a creepy way around straight people.
Are you saying straight people don't talk openly about sex?

Is there a teen movie made that isn't about teenagers talking openly about sex?

SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW, SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW, SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW...

Old
03-25-2013, 02:05 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I have nothing against gay people.. I know it's not a choice and it's not right to judge someone because of it. The thing that can sometimes get to me is gay people who are open about their sex life and basically just all around open in a creepy way around straight people. I feel it's something that should be kept to yourself. Like the show on MTV with all the gay guys talking is just so uncomfortable to watch.
Not all gay guys are that way.

Thing is, I bet there are quite a few straight NHL players that boast about all the girls they get.

Closed Thread