HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Anton Babchuk and Cory Sarich

Old
03-25-2013, 01:25 AM
BlamBlam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Originally yeah. Sarich was actually re-signed last summer and we Flames fans are as mind-boggled as you are about why he got a NTC as he's barely a third-pairing guy at this point.
Oh I thought he was still on that first contract. Yeah giving him another NTC makes little sense.

BlamBlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:29 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
1st and Tanev for The Anton.
First meaning your first born, correct?

Antonisms aside, I'd love for the Isles to go after him.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:31 AM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
You're missing the point.

If you're going to sign a player that can only sign an ELC, you have to offer max bonuses. Look at J. Schultz. ELC + Max Bonus, that's how you separate from the other teams to get a guy you want.
How is this missing the point? The Flames have a 4M cap hit for a guy who doesn't deserve it. The Rangers had to give a massive contract to Wade Redden in order to separate from the pack. That doesn't change the fact that it's universally viewed as a brutal decision. Did a group of Russians kidnap Feaster and force him to sign Cervenka? Why couldn't he have just walked away?

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:37 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
How is this missing the point? The Flames have a 4M cap hit for a guy who doesn't deserve it. The Rangers had to give a massive contract to Wade Redden in order to separate from the pack. That doesn't change the fact that it's universally viewed as a brutal decision. Did a group of Russians kidnap Feaster and force him to sign Cervenka? Why couldn't he have just walked away?
You do realize Cervenka makes 900 K right? He has 3 million in bonuses. How can you knock that contract?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:40 AM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Oh no, cap space spent on picking up a player who was widely considered the best player outside of the NHL. Terrible move, getting a prime-aged player for nothing, in terms of assets. When you say "universally", which part of the universe are you referring to? Because at the time it was lauded as a big win for the Flames, and it still is, given the low risk involved.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:41 AM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
You do realize Cervenka makes 900 K right? He has 3 million in bonuses. How can you knock that contract?
Am I taking crazy pills? I really could not care less how much money Calgary ownership physically is responsible for paying Roman Cervenka. This isn't Charles Wang. I don't think Calgary is in any financial trouble. Jay Feaster allotted four million dollars in cap space to someone who clearly does not come close to deserving that much cap space allotted to him. Am I missing something here?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:42 AM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Oh no, cap space spent on picking up a player who was widely considered the best player outside of the NHL. Terrible move, getting a prime-aged player for nothing, in terms of assets. When you say "universally", which part of the universe are you referring to? Because at the time it was lauded as a big win for the Flames, and it still is, given the low risk involved.
What the hell is in the water in this thread? I said Redden's contract is viewed universally as brutal. Not Cervenka's.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:46 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Am I taking crazy pills? I really could not care less how much money Calgary ownership physically is responsible for paying Roman Cervenka. This isn't Charles Wang. I don't think Calgary is in any financial trouble. Jay Feaster allotted four million dollars in cap space to someone who clearly does not come close to deserving that much cap space allotted to him. Am I missing something here?
You are wrong, his bonuses would only count against the cap if he earned them, so he only has a 900 K cap hit unless he makes those bonuses. Cap geek lists it at 3.9 as that is the most he could count against but that is not the way nhl counts it you simply don't understand what you are talking about.

Old
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Am I taking crazy pills? I really could not care less how much money Calgary ownership physically is responsible for paying Roman Cervenka. Jay Feaster allotted four million dollars in cap space to someone who clearly does not come close to deserving that much cap space allotted to him. Am I missing something here?
On a 1-year deal in a season where you have cap space and an absolute void at the centre position, it was an acceptable risk. The Babchuk and Sarich contracts are unforgivably bad displays of cap mismanagement.

I'm hesitant to say Cervenka can't be a 50 point centre in this league, the lockout and his blood clot really torpedoed any chance he was going to have at successfully transitioning to the North American game.

HarrySPlinkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
What the hell is in the water in this thread? I said Redden's contract is viewed universally as brutal. Not Cervenka's.
Sorry, I'm a little tired. Either way, Cervenka's contract is absolutely worth the cap hit; even if he totally busted, the Flames need players in that age range, and Feaster got a highly-touted guy without giving up any assets.

On top of that, he's actually done surprisingly well. No, he doesn't backcheck very hard; yes, he's better on the wing; and yes, his conditioning is poor, but he's very effective offensively. He's certainly flawed, but those are things that can be worked on fairly easily (assuming he's willing).

Edit: For the record, everyone agrees that the Babchuk and Sarich contracts were terrible.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:48 AM
TheRightWay

Quote:
You are wrong, his bonuses would only count against the cap if he earned them, so he only has a 900 K cap hit unless he makes those bonuses. Cap geek lists it at 3.9 as that is the most he could count against but that is not the way nhl counts it you simply don't understand what you are talking about.
Ahh that makes sense. My bad, then. Nonetheless, Jay Feaster does some wacky stuff.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:49 AM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
I know that's how it used to work, but my understanding was that, as of last season, cap hits included bonuses.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:52 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
I know that's how it used to work, but my understanding was that, as of last season, cap hits included bonuses.
The cap isn't counted in a year total salary it is accounted by day to day salary and bonuses are added at the end if there is no room for bonuses then they get taken from next years cap as penalty. So his yearly cap hit would be 3.75 but he would only be accounting for 900 k of the actual cap unless he got bonuses.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:53 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Ahh that makes sense. My bad, then. Nonetheless, Jay Feaster does some wacky stuff.
The only bad things outside of the ROR deal is the Sarich and Anton deals, Anton's NTC runs out at the deadline so no big deal and Sarich can be bought out this summer if not traded so that also isn't a big deal.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:54 AM
fallsviewafro*
truculent

Quote:
edit: redacted since you sorted it out

fallsviewafro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:56 AM
TheRightWay

Quote:
The only bad things outside of the ROR deal is the Sarich and Anton deals, Anton's NTC runs out at the deadline so no big deal and Sarich can be bought out this summer if not traded so that also isn't a big deal.
Wasn't he in charge of trading Jokinen and Prust for Higgins and Kotalik and the Phaneuf trade?

Old
03-25-2013, 01:59 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Wasn't he in charge of trading Jokinen and Prust for Higgins and Kotalik and the Phaneuf trade?
No google when he became GM of Calgary and those moves.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:01 AM
TheRightWay

Quote:
No google when he became GM of Calgary and those moves.
I did. I'm just a ****ing idiot. Saw that Feaster was given the job December 2010. Saw that those trades happened in 2010. Didn't click in my head that the 2011 deadline would be the subsequent deadline for Feaster and not 2010. Signs that it is time for me to go to bed.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:10 AM
impeach estaalo

Skinner, Faulk, 2nd for The Anton

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:49 AM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
Obviously the Anton gets what he wants but how did Sarich, Stajan and 8 other players all get NTC's?
Darryl Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaxing Joni Jokel View Post
Skinner, Faulk, 2nd for The Anton
I'll drop him off at the airport in an hour. Make sure Skinner is in Chicago by later tonight

Backlund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:57 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Would'nt mind though seeing the Wings getting Anton Babchuk they need a right handed Defenseman to replace Ian White and he's young at 27 years old.
We'd take pretty much any draft pick I have to think. On a related note, what would the wings want for Darren Helm? I've got a bit of a man-crush on him. Love his game.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:58 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
7th for Anton, 5th for Sarich... is all I would really expect for either of these guys.
Agreed, I think Sarich might get as much as a 3rd if there is a shortage of physical defensemen.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:59 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
1st and Tanev for The Anton.
Add Jensen.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:01 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
First meaning your first born, correct?

Antonisms aside, I'd love for the Isles to go after him.
You'd get him for next to nothing. He has no role whatsoever with us. We have 4 guys who can play on the PP.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:30 AM
thaman8765678

How is this an indicator that we're going to clean house? Both defensemen haven't even been in the starting lineup most of the season. If anything this means that there definitely will be no Giordano and Bouwmeester trades that was rumored by some people.

thaman8765678 is offline   Reply With Quote