HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need Heavyweight enforcer? Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Sorinth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Does it matter?

I would say Westgarth and you would counter that he was injured in February. I would say Clifford and you would say he doesnt weigh enough. I would say Dwight King (one of the fights in the playoffs) and you would find an excuse for that as well.

The Kings had 33 fights in the regular season and 4 in the playoffs. They did not turn the other cheek and allow other teams to run their players.
We have 15 fights in 31 games so far that would be 39 fights in a regular season.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:36 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
We have 15 fights in 31 games so far that would be 39 fights in a regular season.
And Emelin has had the most fights in the month of March.

What does that tell you?

Old
03-24-2013, 10:43 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:

What does that tell you?
Dude, nevermind the month of March. He has the most fights out of everyone on that team excluding Prust.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Sorinth

Quote:

What does that tell you?
It tells me fans are much more worried about his injury then he is.

But can you explain why 33 fights is proof that LA is tough and doesn't get pushed around but we are too soft even though we are on pace for more.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Et le But

Quote:

What does that tell you?
That hockey fights happen on an inconsistent basis? Ottawa had 0 fights in the month of Feburary and 8 in March (they had 7 wins in Feburary and 5 in May FYI)

Boston had 3 fights in Feburary, 12 in March.

Montreal 6 and then 3.

What does that tell you?

...probably nothing.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:38 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
It tells me fans are much more worried about his injury then he is.

But can you explain why 33 fights is proof that LA is tough and doesn't get pushed around but we are too soft even though we are on pace for more.
Emelin did not start the fight with either player. And what was the response to Chara jumping Emelin? Foligno?

Nothing.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:44 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
That hockey fights happen on an inconsistent basis? Ottawa had 0 fights in the month of Feburary and 8 in March (they had 7 wins in Feburary and 5 in May FYI)

Boston had 3 fights in Feburary, 12 in March.

Montreal 6 and then 3.

What does that tell you?

...probably nothing.

Emelin should not be fighting at all. And if someone goes after Emelin (because everyone in the League knows he is one punch away from being done for the season), they should have to answer for that.

But I guess in your mind its not that big of a deal for Emelin. He's a pro, right?

Old
03-25-2013, 12:48 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Emelin should not be fighting at all. And if someone goes after Emelin (because everyone in the League knows he is one punch away from being done for the season), they should have to answer for that.

But I guess in your mind its not that big of a deal for Emelin. He's a pro, right?
True, players who arent labelled as good shouldnt be allowed to fight.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Et le But

Quote:

I would have rather seen White or Moen stick up for him, but Emelin does hit to hurt and if he wants to defend himself, it's up to him to judge the situation. I admire his bravery and hope his teammates defend him next time, but it's not his first time around. Emelin is not soft.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:29 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
I would have rather seen White or Moen stick up for him, but Emelin does hit to hurt and if he wants to defend himself, it's up to him to judge the situation. I admire his bravery and hope his teammates defend him next time, but it's not his first time around. Emelin is not soft.
If Emelin was truly worried that a knock to the jaw would keep him from playing hockey again he could just get down and protect himself and players would take a two minute roughing. Instead he fights back. Fighting is a choice.

That's the problem with this whole toughness/intimidation charade. A team can completely choose to cheap shot, trash talk and turtle on every play and even if you do grab them, they'll be wearing protective visors, keep their helmets nice and tight and turtle in every situation. Next play they'll be up slashing and spearing your superstars. And there's nothing you can do. They don't have to accept a fight. They can force you to take that roughing penalty every time. They will embellish every call. They will dive every opportunity. And when your tough guys are in the box? They'll high elbow your superstar.

I actually just described the Boston Bruins in 2011, only they made sure they accepted fights they could win.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:32 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
He can lose an eye in one punch with the plates he has in the face. You think it's a matter of being soft or tough? His teammates should have made sure he never has to fight again.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:33 AM
Et le But

The funny thing is Bruins fans insist that Emelin's hit on Seguin was outrageously dirty...which means they don't feel secure when it comes to protecting their skill players either.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:34 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
He can lose an eye in one punch with the plates he has in the face. You think it's a matter of being soft or tough? His teammates should have made sure he never has to fight again.
for people advocating for toughness, seems there's always an excuse as to why player X or Y shouldnt fight...

Old
03-25-2013, 01:35 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
for people advocating for toughness, seems there's always an excuse as to why player X or Y shouldnt fight...
Yeah... the risk of losing an eye sure isn't big enough of an excuse to not fight

How about your read your comment again to see how it's ridiculous?

Excuses... really...

Old
03-25-2013, 01:36 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
The funny thing is Bruins fans insist that Emelin's hit on Seguin was outrageously dirty...which means they don't feel secure when it comes to protecting their skill players either.
I'm not sure Emelin is going to break a stick on anyone on the Bruins for a long, long time. Trust me.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:40 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Yeah... the risk of losing an eye sure isn't big enough of an excuse to not fight

How about your read your comment again to see how it's ridiculous?

Excuses... really...
Emelin didnt hesitate one bit, got up and tried to trade punches against 6'9 Chara...

may want to send him an e-mail, cause it looks like he's unaware of the risks

Old
03-25-2013, 01:41 AM
Et le But

Quote:
I'm not sure Emelin is going to break a stick on anyone on the Bruins for a long, long time. Trust me.
Getting his face destroyed didn't stop Emelin from occasionally knowing he needs to cross the line, I don't think that will either.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:42 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Emelin didnt hesitate one bit, got up and tried to trade punches against 6'9 Chara...

may want to send him an e-mail, cause it looks like he's unaware of the risks
There's a 6'9 monster standing by you, and saying that he's going to crush your face no matter what you do. What are you doing? He had no choice.

Keep sounding ridiculous though. I'm going to use your quote as a signature. Then maybe you'd see how incredibly off it is.

Last edited by HiggsBozon: 03-25-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old
03-25-2013, 01:50 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
There's a 6'9 monster standing by you, and saying that he's going to crush your face no matter what you do. What are you doing? He had no choice.

Keep sounding ridiculous though. I'm going to use your quote as a signature.
he was pushed down, all he had to do is stay down... he chose to get up and trade punches.

If there's someone ridiculous here it's you, whining we arent tough enough, whining when one of the Habs fight...

care to make up your mind ? thank you.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:53 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
he was pushed down, all he had to do is stay down... he chose to get up and trade punches.

If there's someone ridiculous here it's you, whining we arent tough enough, whining when one of the Habs fight...

care to make up your mind ? thank you.
You can't be for real. Seriously. How can anyone be so off, it's just mind-boggling.
You're going to get punched. The best way to avoid a beating is not to let the other guy punch on you and act like a punching bag.

Keep saying that Emelin fighting is normal though. Put this guy in any other team, he's not fighting.

What you can read around here. Having metal plates in your face is a lame excuse for not fighting...

Do not wonder why I'm not answering your posts going from now on. I won't see them.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:59 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
You can't be for real. Seriously. How can anyone be so off, it's just mind-boggling.
You're going to get punched. The best way to avoid a beating is not to let the other guy punch on you and act like a punching bag.

Keep saying that Emelin fighting is normal though. Put this guy in any other team, he's not fighting.

What you can read around here. Having metal plates in your face is a lame excuse for not fighting...

Do not wonder why I'm not answering your posts going from now on. I won't see them.

right there, at around 1:10, Emelin is down - before a single punch was given by Chara, all he have to do is protect his face... he willingly chose not to stay down.

Get over it, Emelin plays a tough game and will fight if he has to, clip shows he is ok with taking such risks...

Now, can you please, at the very least, pretend you know what you're talking about, before you reply to this? Thank you.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Emelin did not start the fight with either player. And what was the response to Chara jumping Emelin? Foligno?

Nothing.
You didn't answer the question so I'll repeat it, why are LA's 33 fights proof that they are a tough team that doesn't get pushed around, but us being on pace for even more fights is meaningless?

As for Emelin and fighting, do we know what the doctors told him exactly? Did they say he's at a high risk of re-injury or just a slighty increased risk? Any time you get into a fight there's a chance of getting a career ending injury, it's up to Emelin to decide if/when he fights.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Sorinth

Quote:

Keep sounding ridiculous though. I'm going to use your quote as a signature. Then maybe you'd see how incredibly off it is.
Even if what you say is true what does having a heavyweight do to change that? Is Chara so afraid of other heavyweights that he won't try to stick up for his teammates?

Old
03-25-2013, 11:47 AM
bud12

their number of fight doesn't change the fact that the habs are soft.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
their number of fight doesn't change the fact that the habs are soft.
Then how can it be used as proof that LA is tough?

Closed Thread