HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gerbe bemoans lack of playing time, being healthy scratch

Old
03-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
Right now all three are pro tank, no matter which way you slice and dice it. If anyone came in here to defend Stafford or Hecht, they got alotta work on their hands.
Not as much as you'd think.

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I'll take Gerbe over Stafford and Hecht every single day.
That's like saying I'll take a migraine over a broken leg every single day.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
I'll take Gerbe over Stafford and Hecht every single day.
So you'd rather have the person who looks like they're working hard over the people that get results(not much better but they do get better results).

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Not as much as you'd think.
Really? I'm not being argumentative, but if you mean outside of potential, then I just don't see it. Stafford is an invisible $12M winger, who's scratched and on the 4th line. I have little expectations of Hecht, so he's pretty much what I expect, and he has the most versatility, BUT I don't want him here next year, so he's just plugging a spot for a guy like Tropper next year. Gerbe has the least tools, and most heart. I root for him the most, but unfortunately, his efforts aren't ending up on the score sheet. Bottom line if I'm Capn Ron, I'd play Hecht first(despite he's a horrible energy guy), then pretty much flip a coin on letting an energetic Gerbe try, or facepalm my way through Stafford passing to Scott all night.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

Anyway........Gerbe needs to earn his icetime just like everyone else and although his effort is always there, you need more then effort (ask Matt Ellis). Being as small as he is Gerbe is always at a disadvantage, he isn't strong enough on the puck both physically and mentally and isn't producing. And although this thread isn't about them; Stafford certainly brings more to the table then Gerbe. As for Hecht, the only thing he has on Gerbe is that he is a better Centre in my opinion (but we will leave Hecht for elsewhere.).

Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres Fan UK View Post
Anyway........Gerbe needs to earn his icetime just like everyone else and although his effort is always there, you need more then effort (ask Matt Ellis). Being as small as he is Gerbe is always at a disadvantage, he isn't strong enough on the puck both physically and mentally and isn't producing. And although this thread isn't about them; Stafford certainly brings more to the table then Gerbe. As for Hecht, the only thing he has on Gerbe is that he is a better Centre in my opinion (but we will leave Hecht for elsewhere.).
He seems to have difficulty getting his shot off. I wish the NHL tracked a stat for "shot getting easily deflected into the mesh by defenseman," because I feel Nate would be up there.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:29 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

I just flat out think it's time Gerbe gets moved. I like the kid, I like the heart, passion, drive and community activities. He just falls shy of being an effective long term difference maker on the Sabres. I wish him luck elsewhere.

No need to cloud the issue with other players. That discussion is for other threads.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
So you'd rather have the person who looks like they're working hard over the people that get results(not much better but they do get better results).
I'm convinced that people think Gerbe works harder than most because when he skates, he has to take two strides for everybody else's one---and it looks like he's really hustling all the time.

Then there's the "he's not afraid to get into it with anybody" thing. Of course when he does start crap with someone, we always have the inevitable "OMG, how can they do that to Gerbe! They should pick on someone their on size!" Even when he starts it.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Grahn

This article seems a bit angled, and zips OP even more so, there's a quote i quite like in there aswell.
“I would never complain,” he said. “I just keeping playing hard, and hopefully that pays off.”
Given the Miller/Kaleta incident recently i'm quite suprised you all just jump on the hate-train without second thought.
Still I agree with ZZamboni. I like Gerbe, He's all heart and you need guys like that, but he's doesn't really with in the team right now. He looks lost a lot of times and the play often dies when he gets the puck. Like he tries to do too much

Grahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:28 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

He deserves more ice time ..he played well one the second line, he is one of the few who plays with effort every shift, he can fly down the ic and create opportunities and backchecks like a monster. I dislike everyone on this team going public which shows a lack of respect for rolston. Gerbe also needs to take an extra second to analyze instead of bad angle shots. I have noticed lately when he gets the zone he looks to pass and his linemates give him nothing. Other question is where to put him rolston is breaking up his security blanket line and the top 6 only has one spot and the bittom line is redundant on this team ..keep ur head up gerbe ur stype of play is needed on every team.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:02 AM
SirRocko

I really feel like people just see what they want to see when it comes to Gerbe. I don't get it. How can people watch him play and not end up audibly groaning out loud multiple times? He is beyond frustrating. Offense dies on his stick, and I feel like we're hemmed in out zone more times than not on his shifts.

It's just a weird thing. People don't want to see it... My father (who has no idea what he's talking about) loves to tell me that he's gonna be our next captain. The guy who sits near me at work bought his SECOND Gerbe jersey this year, because he didn't like only having the anniversary edition.

Finally, Zip or whoever, the "advanced stats" back up the premise that Gerbe is terrible, right? I pretend I know what I'm talking about or looking at sometimes, but admittedly, you guys just seem to get it.

SirRocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:13 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Gerbe likely getting trade (e1)

Eklund's source is this thread

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:18 AM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRocko View Post
I really feel like people just see what they want to see when it comes to Gerbe. I don't get it. How can people watch him play and not end up audibly groaning out loud multiple times? He is beyond frustrating. Offense dies on his stick, and I feel like we're hemmed in out zone more times than not on his shifts.

It's just a weird thing. People don't want to see it... My father (who has no idea what he's talking about) loves to tell me that he's gonna be our next captain. The guy who sits near me at work bought his SECOND Gerbe jersey this year, because he didn't like only having the anniversary edition.

Finally, Zip or whoever, the "advanced stats" back up the premise that Gerbe is terrible, right? I pretend I know what I'm talking about or looking at sometimes, but admittedly, you guys just seem to get it.
You don't even need the advanced stats to see his stats are going to pot, just use the reg ones. Nathan played good on a line with Goose and Kaleta. That's about it, and maybe where some of those man-crushes come from(the others are Rudy crushes). I don't think our bottom 6 has much chemistry any way ya put them together now, except the AHL line, which we all know won't last the test of time, either.

...and funny story about the 2nd jersey, I'd be freakin out about that, too. I'd buy him a dirt cheap Gerbe t-shirt just so he'd have to act happy about it. lol

Old
03-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Gerbe likely getting trade (e1)

Eklund's source is this thread
Well, Roy was traded after he started whining, right?

Old
03-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRocko View Post

But Gerbe tries!

He really, really tries!

I mean, he really, really, really, tries!

Isn't it the effort and the heart&soul and the trying that's most important in professional sports, especially where the team has never won a championship?

C'mon. Gerbe really, really tries.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Shoey
Hello.

Nathan Gerbe should try being better at hockey if he wants playing time.

It's always the same thing with these guys, Kaleta complained and the guy has ZERO points.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:31 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
Nathan Gerbe should try being better at hockey if he wants playing time.

It's always the same thing with these guys, Kaleta complained and the guy has ZERO points.
****. There goes my prior comment about not wasting my energy on Gerbe...

I'm not trying to be intentionally contradictory or overly argumentative here, but this comparison is bahhhhhhhrutal.

Kaleta gets paid to hit, agitate, kill penalties, and breathe some ****ing life into this team - which he does, and does well for the most part. Kaleta had every right to say that he is not pleased by being a healthy scratch. I'd be scared if be said otherwise.

Gerbe is paid to score and/or produce offensively. And he doesn't. Gerbe is in NO position to complain about being scratched with an attempted justification of "i am playing well and need more time on ice," or wrongfully whine about ice time he thinks he's not getting, etc. If he said "I don't like being a healthy scratch and I think I should be playing," I'd have minimal issue - you want all hockey players to be pissed if they're not playing. But he says that he deserves more ToI, and that he feels he's playing really well. Wrong.

He sucks. He tries hard, but he sucks. He cannot complain about anything.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Shoey
Hello.

It's certainly been a down year for Kaleta as far as production goes, he's usually the kind of guy that'll at least chip in 10-15 points a year. The only reason I'm mentioning it is because they both came across as little kids, even if Kaleta had a far greater case to make.

Gerbe, Hecht, and Kaleta all have gone to the media and complained when they've been a healthy scratch... if they want to be treated like superstars instead of spare parts they should be better at hockey. None of these guys have done enough this season that a healthy scratch isn't a legitimate tactic.

Tyler Myers made less of a stink when he was benched and the kid won the Calder a few years ago.

Lindy isn't the coach anymore, they're not going to get minutes simply by working hard.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:13 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
It's certainly been a down year for Kaleta as far as production goes, he's usually the kind of guy that'll at least chip in 10-15 points a year. The only reason I'm mentioning it is because they both came across as little kids, even if Kaleta had a far greater case to make.

Gerbe, Hecht, and Kaleta all have gone to the media and complained when they've been a healthy scratch... if they want to be treated like superstars instead of spare parts they should be better at hockey. None of these guys have done enough this season that a healthy scratch isn't a legitimate tactic.

Tyler Myers made less of a stink when he was benched and the kid won the Calder a few years ago.

Lindy isn't the coach anymore, they're not going to get minutes simply by working hard.
What did Hecht say?

Last edited by Chainshot: 03-25-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: QDP
jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:29 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
I love how Buffalo fans are constantly complaining about how lazy and heartless this team is, how they don't represent this blue collar, hard working, underdog town, but we are immediately ready to rip down the one guy on that team who represents those qualities more than anyone ever could. If he wants to play and he wants more playing time, good, he's a competitor. He should.
Lets have a top line of Ellis, Gerbe and any other hardworking guy who wouldn't get a full time job on any other team...

His a good guy and a good skater, and I respect his attitude. But his not NHL material, he just is not good enough to make up for his small size, he should really be an AHL call up, helping kids in the lower leagues, provide a good role model.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:02 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahn View Post
This article seems a bit angled, and zips OP even more so, there's a quote i quite like in there aswell.
“I would never complain,” he said. “I just keeping playing hard, and hopefully that pays off.”
Given the Miller/Kaleta incident recently i'm quite suprised you all just jump on the hate-train without second thought.
Still I agree with ZZamboni. I like Gerbe, He's all heart and you need guys like that, but he's doesn't really with in the team right now. He looks lost a lot of times and the play often dies when he gets the puck. Like he tries to do too much
"I would never complain"...except right now to Bill Hoppe in this article. I'd imagine Rolston and the organization would much prefer Gerbe coming to them and asking why he wasn't playing as much as he'd like and what he needed to do to get more ice time, rather than spouting off to the media about how well (really well!) he's been playing--effectively contradicting the coach's statements about your play--how you don't understand why you were scratched, and that you need more than 5 minutes/game (errrr, 12 minutes/game) to be effective.

By the way, there is no argument that he doesn't get opportunity in terms of linemates. His two most frequent linemates at ES? Steve Ott and Tyler Ennis.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:42 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
Lets have a top line of Ellis, Gerbe and any other hardworking guy who wouldn't get a full time job on any other team...

His a good guy and a good skater, and I respect his attitude. But his not NHL material, he just is not good enough to make up for his small size, he should really be an AHL call up, helping kids in the lower leagues, provide a good role model.
I'm not of that opinion at all. I definitely believe you win with talent more than anything else. But listen to the WGR post-game some time. It's a very common take among Sabres fans to rip the teams effort and heart, followed by them demanding to cut Gerbe. It's amazing. I'm sure you'll find posters around here having the same take.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:06 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
But Gerbe tries!

He really, really tries!

I mean, he really, really, really, tries!

Isn't it the effort and the heart&soul and the trying that's most important in professional sports, especially where the team has never won a championship?

C'mon. Gerbe really, really tries.
This is seriously the argument I get. People also empathize with him because he's small. It's mind-boggling.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:02 AM
SabreBlood

Well, Nate isn't being completely factual. But he does have a valid point.

February 28th @ Florida
17:27 total ice time
2 goals, +2

March 3rd @ Rangers
18:02 total ice time
1 goal, +1

That's all the goals he's scored this season. Coincidence?

Those total minutes of ice are the most he's received in any other game this season other than March 2nd against the Devils, when he played 18:33 and finished the game even, with no points.

He's getting far more ice time with Rolston than Ruff ever gave him this season...When he plays, that is.

The problem is, who should he be playing over? Leino is playing quite well. You're not going to play Gerbe over Vanek or Pominville. The only other winger in the top 6 is Ott. Not playing him over Ott either.

SabreBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:06 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreBlood View Post
Well, Nate isn't being completely factual. But he does have a valid point.

February 28th @ Florida
17:27 total ice time
2 goals, +2

March 3rd @ Rangers
18:02 total ice time
1 goal, +1

That's all the goals he's scored this season. Coincidence?

Those total minutes of ice are the most he's received in any other game this season other than March 2nd against the Devils, when he played 18:33 and finished the game even, with no points.

He's getting far more icetime with Rolston than Ruff ever gave him this season...When he plays, that is.

The problem is, who should he be playing over? Leino is playing quite well. You're not going to play Gerbe over Vanek or Pominville. The only other winger in the top 6 is Ott. Not playing him over Ott either.
In that Florida game, he probably got more ice time because he produced two 1st period goals (in the first 12 minutes, IIRC). I think that's an important distinction.