HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Trade Deadline Talk

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 06:11 PM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
What's happened to Miller? He's not particularly good these days and every week he talks to the press and complains about something or calls out his teammates. He spent the entire lockout talking to the media too.

I think Lucic really scrambled his brain because Miller has been one of the most unlikable hockey players since getting run over.
I think the terrible d-core is getting to him. He is still good. I feel like saying he isn't very good is the same as East coasters saying varly isn't very good.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:42 PM
tucker3434

The only thing I have against miller is his age. He needs to be on a team that is competing now. We definitely aren't that team.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:22 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

We play five games before next Wednesday's trade deadline.....

@CGY, @VAN, vs NSH, @DET, and @NSH

Avs are the worst road team in the league so I don't expect us to pick up many points before the deadline.

We're currently dead last in the West and 29th in the league. We're 7 points out of 8th place (8 points if SJ wins their game in hand) so I think we can forget about the playoffs.

Sherman should definitely sell. I don't think there's much to offer but we might get a mid/late round pick for a couple of our veteran players.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:30 AM
Colorado Avalanche

expectations? Sell sell sell..

Old
03-25-2013, 07:36 AM
Avs71

All that needs to be done is making space for Barrie, and with Wilson hurt now, pretty much just means ROB needs to get traded.

Unloading one of Zanon/Hunwick would be nice, but doubt it happens.

Moving Jones' contract would be a miracle.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:08 AM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
All that needs to be done is making space for Barrie, and with Wilson hurt now, pretty much just means ROB needs to get traded.

Unloading one of Zanon/Hunwick would be nice, but doubt it happens.

Moving Jones' contract would be a miracle.
These are the things that I want to see happen. Along with Staz being moved. It's time for people to stop saying we cant move Stastny until we know where ROR is going. O'Reilly will be locked up long term. We could have had a top 3 pick in this years draft, a 2nd round pick, and no worries about giving him all that money over the next two years if he wasn't in Shermans plans long term. He would have easily let him walk. He's signed, he's happy, he's producing and I see no reason why he will be shipped in a calender year.

I'd be all for letting go of Stastny. If we could unload him, Jones and any 2 of Zanon, Hunwick, ROB and SOB I would be a happy man by deadline.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:18 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

#1 - Trade Chuck Kobasew while his value is high. I don't care if we can re-sign him, he'll be 31 years old and is playing the best hockey of his tenure with the Avs. Time to cash in for whatever we can get. A 3rd and a prospect or something.

#2 - Trade Ryan O'Byrne. Love the guy, but the Avs have zero interest in keeping him and have had zero talks with his agent. If there's an offer out there, like a 3rd or something, you take it.

#3 - See if there are any takers on Zanon and Hunwick. Anything you can get here. 4th/5th/6th/7th round picks. Get rid of these disasters once and for all.

#4 - I highly, highly doubt that anybody will take that albatross of a contract, but any "contender" who could fit in David Jones would be a dream. I know his value is shockingly low here, but he will never be a $4m player so take what you can get.

It's too bad Staz went down because I would have shipped his ass out, too. Maybe on draft day.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:55 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
#1 - Trade Chuck Kobasew while his value is high. I don't care if we can re-sign him, he'll be 31 years old and is playing the best hockey of his tenure with the Avs. Time to cash in for whatever we can get. A 3rd and a prospect or something.

#2 - Trade Ryan O'Byrne. Love the guy, but the Avs have zero interest in keeping him and have had zero talks with his agent. If there's an offer out there, like a 3rd or something, you take it.

#3 - See if there are any takers on Zanon and Hunwick. Anything you can get here. 4th/5th/6th/7th round picks. Get rid of these disasters once and for all.

#4 - I highly, highly doubt that anybody will take that albatross of a contract, but any "contender" who could fit in David Jones would be a dream. I know his value is shockingly low here, but he will never be a $4m player so take what you can get.

It's too bad Staz went down because I would have shipped his ass out, too. Maybe on draft day.
I just wanted to touch on the bolded.

We don't yet know what Stastny's injury really is. Dater is speculating that he doesn't believe it's broken, and who knows. The Avs told him that Stastny would be returning and then shortly after reversed that decision. We can hope that it's just a bruise or a "stinger" or something and that a couple of days rest and he'll be good as new, and then maybe they shop him?

Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife.
Old
03-25-2013, 10:22 AM
The Shermanator
#AvaloungeRevolution

Stazz is just faking it because he doesn't want to get traded.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Why? What is so wrong with keeping him?

Old
03-25-2013, 10:26 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

He's not very good.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:30 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
I will be thoroughly upset if we don't trade at least 2 of these guys:

- Jones
- Hunwick
- Kobasew
- O'Brien
- O'Byrne

Old
03-25-2013, 10:30 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Stastny should be traded at the draft if ROR keeps up his play. We have 17 games left, if ROR can manage 26+ points in his 29 games, I would think that is proof enough that he can handle the load as a top 6 center. Stastny won't be taking a paycut when his deal expires, so dump him for a lefty top 4 plus a pick and get it over with. Mitchell can take over the #3C spot, or if we draft Mac, he can take over the 3rd line in a sheltered role (both Duchene and ROR can handle the top lines easily).

Old
03-25-2013, 10:31 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I will be thoroughly upset if we don't trade at least 2 of these guys:

- Jones
- Hunwick
- Kobasew
- O'Brien
- O'Byrne
I think we will see 3 or 4 of them traded... 2 at very minimum (Kobasew and ROB).

Old
03-25-2013, 10:44 AM
kento19
@kento19

I just don't see any takers on Jones. A contender would be willing to take on that contract as a risk for a rental, but his contract is too long. Nobody is going to risk that kind of money for a few years.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
I just don't see any takers on Jones. A contender would be willing to take on that contract as a risk for a rental, but his contract is too long. Nobody is going to risk that kind of money for a few years.
Oh, I think the contract could be moved, I just think the return will be crap if he's moved now.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:21 AM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

vCash: 0
I know everyone puts on the rose colored glasses for their favorite players. That's part of being a fan. Duchene, Landeskog, Wilson, Parenteau all get that treatment from me. I'll admit that I have such glasses regarding Paul Stastny as well. I also admit that I've taken them off for guys like Hejduk, EJ, ROR, and McGinn over the last year.

The guy has played with a mediocre team and has often been the "leftover" center over the last 2-3 years. As far as i can remember, he has never posed a problem in the locker room nor in the media. The guy has seemed to be a very good "team guy".

While I appreciate the arguments that his offensive production is down, I also see a lot of love for the intangibles that other players bring, yet rarely for Stastny. Is the guy a 6.6m player? Probably not, but that is not all on him in my opinion.

Is he a valuable trade chip? Sure he is, but there is a reason for that. Should he be traded because ROR is a ppg player this month? Maybe, but until ROR is locked up long term or proves he is a 6.5m player over the long haul, I'd just prefer to wait. Last thing I want is to lose both, or have another player on the team getting the "Big Contract" while not producing up to the expectations.

Although we as fans never truly know what goes on in the dynamics of a team, I can't think of a time I felt Stastny ever was a negative influence on the franchise, team or any individual player, and in my opinion, that is sometimes just as important as achieving some perceived contract expectations on the stat sheet.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:32 AM
ThunderBird

I think we could also talk about Mitchell. While he has played pretty good here this just might be a career year for him and he might be a valuable trade commodity. He has scored goals, has decent size, can play C or LW for depth.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:38 AM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBird View Post
I think we could also talk about Mitchell. While he has played pretty good here this just might be a career year for him and he might be a valuable trade commodity. He has scored goals, has decent size, can play C or LW for depth.
He just got brought in and is relatively cheap for what he brings. Trade him, and by the end of 2013-2014 Avs' center depth could end up being Duchene-Sgarbossa-Hishon-Olver-Malone.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:40 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
He just got brought in and is relatively cheap for what he brings. Trade him, and by the end of 2013-2014 Avs' center depth could end up being Duchene-Sgarbossa-Hishon-Olver-Malone.
You can rest assured that one of ROR or Stastny will be retained so that changes to:

Duchene
ROR/Stastny
Sgarbossa
Olver
Hishon
Malone

While very weak 3-6, 1 and 2 are plenty strong.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:41 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Ideally I would rather keep him as our 3rd C and deal Stastny for good left handed defenceman.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Trading Mitchell if he isn't in this teams long term plans is pretty much a no brainer, his value will never be higher than it is right now, contenders wanting to shore up their bottom six with cheap scorers could pay a nice bounty to get him.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:43 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
I know everyone puts on the rose colored glasses for their favorite players. That's part of being a fan. Duchene, Landeskog, Wilson, Parenteau all get that treatment from me. I'll admit that I have such glasses regarding Paul Stastny as well. I also admit that I've taken them off for guys like Hejduk, EJ, ROR, and McGinn over the last year.

The guy has played with a mediocre team and has often been the "leftover" center over the last 2-3 years. As far as i can remember, he has never posed a problem in the locker room nor in the media. The guy has seemed to be a very good "team guy".

While I appreciate the arguments that his offensive production is down, I also see a lot of love for the intangibles that other players bring, yet rarely for Stastny. Is the guy a 6.6m player? Probably not, but that is not all on him in my opinion.

Is he a valuable trade chip? Sure he is, but there is a reason for that. Should he be traded because ROR is a ppg player this month? Maybe, but until ROR is locked up long term or proves he is a 6.5m player over the long haul, I'd just prefer to wait. Last thing I want is to lose both, or have another player on the team getting the "Big Contract" while not producing up to the expectations.

Although we as fans never truly know what goes on in the dynamics of a team, I can't think of a time I felt Stastny ever was a negative influence on the franchise, team or any individual player, and in my opinion, that is sometimes just as important as achieving some perceived contract expectations on the stat sheet.
This is why I think he will stay, he just seems happy in Denver. He's stuck it out through the rebuild and never shown any signs of wanting out.

I do personally have a feeling that as long as Colorado offers him a fair contract around 5-5.5M, he'll stay.

I tend to agree with Lonewolfe that we need to see Stastny under a new coach, and with a better RW than Jones consistently before trading him.

The one thing that this team has going for it is our centers, no reason to let that go unless we are forced to. If Stastny does not want to talk extention this off-season, he absolutely needs to be traded ala J. Staal.

Siemens, Barrie, and a free-agent top 4 defender could fix our defense. Remember that last season our defense was ranked 11th in goals against.

The difference is Quincey this year, and a player of his caliber or better will not be impossible to find in free-agency.

Smid - EJ (Just as an example)

Hejda - Barrie

Siemens/Wilson/Elliott/O'Brien

Old
03-25-2013, 11:43 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Spoke to Duncan Siemens about Paul Stastny and he said something I found interesting.

He said that as a young D, Stastny was such an easy center to play with. He was always talking, letting the defencemen know where to move the puck, where the pressure was coming from.

It's those little things that go unnoticed by the vast majority of fans, along the same lines as what a guy is like in the room.

Sure, Stastny's numbers are continuing to go down and I would still trade him if we got a good return, but it's nice to hear a young prospects take on what a veteran like that can mean to a team.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:50 AM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Spoke to Duncan Siemens about Paul Stastny and he said something I found interesting.

He said that as a young D, Stastny was such an easy center to play with. He was always talking, letting the defencemen know where to move the puck, where the pressure was coming from.

It's those little things that go unnoticed by the vast majority of fans, along the same lines as what a guy is like in the room.

Sure, Stastny's numbers are continuing to go down and I would still trade him if we got a good return, but it's nice to hear a young prospects take on what a veteran like that can mean to a team.
That is a good story to hear. Wish the press that "cover" the Avalanche would do more of that type of coverage instead of the "We miss Anderson, Stewart, and Shattenkirk" stories.

Closed Thread