HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Samsonov and Kovalev: Too similar to be linemates?

Old
08-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Catch-22

vCash: 500
Samsonov and Kovalev: Too similar to be linemates?

I'll begin by saying that I really like both of these players. I think Samsonov is significantly more talented than Zednik, and he can't be any worse , especially after last season. I look forward to seeing him play in the "new" NHL on a speedy line. Just who makes up that line is the question-topic of this thread.

Samsonov and Kovalev are both players who like to be the "go to" guy. They both hang onto the puck and like to dangle, which isn't a bad thing for players with their talent. But at this very early stage, I do worry slightly that having two guys like that on the same line could lead to a little bit of a clash. So it would make sense to me to ensure each of them is played with guys who are versatile or primarily playmakers...and certainly with players who can backcheck. It's not hard to imagine that a Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev line could be a disaster in the defensive end! That's why I would suggest any of the following first 3 line combos.

A)
Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
Samsonov-Plekanec-Ryder
Perezhogin-Ribeiro-Johnson

B)
Samsonov-Koivu-Ryder
Higgins-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Perezhogin-Plekanec-Johnson

Comments and thoughts?

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:29 PM
KaptainKourage*

I like the idea to bring back the K's togheter but Samso and Kovy are NOT similar.

Samsonov have a better work ethic, dont wanna insult kovalev but Samso take less night-off than kovy. Kovy move the puck better than Samso, much better even if Samso is pretty good at this departement too.

Samsonov is better in his own zone, much better. Samsonov is more a playmaker while Kovalev is a true sniper with a OMG OMG OMG DO U SEE THAT wristshot

Kovalev is much more a leader, and he go to corner much often.. and u see what he did on tucker ? samsonov is not that kind of guy

we got there a nice mix...

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:31 PM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
I'll begin by saying that I really like both of these players. I think Samsonov is significantly more talented than Zednik, and he can't be any worse , especially after last season. I look forward to seeing him play in the "new" NHL on a speedy line. Just who makes up that line is the question-topic of this thread.

Samsonov and Kovalev are both players who like to be the "go to" guy. They both hang onto the puck and like to dangle, which isn't a bad thing for players with their talent. But at this very early stage, I do worry slightly that having two guys like that on the same line could lead to a little bit of a clash. So it would make sense to me to ensure each of them is played with guys who are versatile or primarily playmakers...and certainly with players who can backcheck. It's not hard to imagine that a Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev line could be a disaster in the defensive end! That's why I would suggest any of the following first 3 line combos.

A)
Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
Samsonov-Plekanec-Ryder

B)
Samsonov-Koivu-Ryder
Higgins-Ribeiro-Kovalev

Comments and thoughts?
To start the year, I would try the obvious:
Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev

I think in last year playoffs we saw how much Koivu means to players like Ryder and Higgings. If Koivu can make the 1st line spark, then I think Samsonov and Kovalev should make the 2nd line work no matter who is playing between them. But, if ever these don't work, then I'd try:
Samsonov-Koivu-Ryder
Higgins-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Or
Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
Samsonov-Ribeiro-Ryder

As a last resort I would try:
Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Plekanec-Kovalev

But I have a bigger problem with Ribeiro on the 3rd line then on the 2nd. Since, if he can't do it on the top 2 lines, he should not be on the team unless its only temporary. The reason I would still try these last lines is because Johnson is known to get players back on their game.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing :
Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Johnson-Kovalev
at some point but then you need to ask your self what to do with Ribeiro. As a GM point of view, losing an asset for nothing is not a good thing, no matter how he is viewed by the coach.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
Samsonov is more a playmaker while Kovalev is a true sniper with a OMG OMG OMG DO U SEE THAT wristshot
I agree that Kovalev has a wicked shot. I remember seeing him in Pittsburgh scoring a blue line top corner wrist shot and I was I expect to see him scores 30+ goals this upcoming season or I'll be very disappointed.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:36 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
I agree that Kovalev has a wicked shot. I remember seeing him in Pittsburgh scoring a blue line top corner wrist shot and I was I expect to see him scores 30+ goals this upcoming season or I'll be very disappointed.
That depends of injury. He can, and easily, score 82 goals if he play 30 games.

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Nobak

Quote:
That's 224 goals over a full season... is he that good?

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say you meant to say 'he can score 30 goals if he plays 82 games'...

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say you meant to say 'he can score 30 goals if he plays 82 games'...
no, he's THAT good.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 11:30 PM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
no, he's THAT good.
And he'll bake cookies for every goal he scores. On top of that, he will resurface the ice between periods. Did you also know that Samsonov doesnt sleep. He actually hibernates in 1 second spurts while he drives his rocket car. In fact, he's also an excellent accountant as he is at this very moment doing my financials for the last three years. Samsonov, if healthy can and will break every record in the NHL this season. I predict that he will single handedly destroy one NHL team completely; turn opposing players to dust with the weapon's of mass destruction hidden in his bum. Samsonov is more than a man, more than a God! He is a being of infinite power that caused the big bang with his first fetal bowel movement. He is why I live and breath, why the sky is blue and the Leafs suck. But on top of all these accomplishments, Samsonov is most noted for creating himself, using time travel by ramming two atoms of pure nuclear energy together. Think of it... how many NHL players are actually able to brag about the fact that they went back in time and created themselves so that they can create the universe so he could go back in time and create himself so that he can..... uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh temporal logic loop.

Samsonov IS................

a 25-30 goal scorer

ControlFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:01 AM
The CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombThreat View Post
And he'll bake cookies for every goal he scores. On top of that, he will resurface the ice between periods. Did you also know that Samsonov doesnt sleep. He actually hibernates in 1 second spurts while he drives his rocket car. In fact, he's also an excellent accountant as he is at this very moment doing my financials for the last three years. Samsonov, if healthy can and will break every record in the NHL this season. I predict that he will single handedly destroy one NHL team completely; turn opposing players to dust with the weapon's of mass destruction hidden in his bum. Samsonov is more than a man, more than a God! He is a being of infinite power that caused the big bang with his first fetal bowel movement. He is why I live and breath, why the sky is blue and the Leafs suck. But on top of all these accomplishments, Samsonov is most noted for creating himself, using time travel by ramming two atoms of pure nuclear energy together. Think of it... how many NHL players are actually able to brag about the fact that they went back in time and created themselves so that they can create the universe so he could go back in time and create himself so that he can..... uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh temporal logic loop.

Samsonov IS................

a 25-30 goal scorer
LMAO

I actually busrt out laughion at my computer. lol

The CUBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 06:47 AM
Marksman

Personally I dont see them too similar - and it depends on the roles they would be given with the team. Samsonov has come very close to scoring 30 goals couple times in his relatively young career. Just look at his career shooting percentage. Its slightly under 15%, when our current top scorers Kovalev and Ryder have little over 12%. IMO if our coaching staff give him some freedom to move into scoring position (like Ryder) more he could become our top sniper worth about 35-40 goals.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 07:39 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Samsonov reminds me of Chuck Norris.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 07:44 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Based on BombThreat's description, he's actually a smaller version of McPhee, without the goat smell.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 07:46 AM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
But with ability of doing Jean-Claude Van Dam splits
[image]http://www.kvak.com/slike/080506b.jpg[/image]

AND
Is better than Steven Segal for using foreign objects like bike chains or garbage cans, to whip your a$$.
[IMAGE]http://www.fantasfilm.com/image/d-stevenseagal-terr.jpg[/IMAGE]

Samsonov is the ultimate fighting machine. Oh... and he eats babies.

ControlFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 07:47 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Based on BombThreat's description, he's actually a smaller version of McPhee, without the goat smell.
How the diggin' is going, Gros Bill?

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD View Post
How the diggin' is going, Gros Bill?
A man's work is never done. The in-laws are coming over this week-end, with their ugly mutt...

Old
08-08-2006, 08:27 AM
AD

Quote:
A man's work is never done. The in-laws are coming over this week-end, with their ugly mutt...
Don't talk about your mother in law like that...

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 08:37 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Yahoo, a Bill sighting.

Vacation ?
Disgust ?
Incarceration ?

There are no ugly mutts Bill, just ugly dog owners.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post

I understand where you are coming from, but if there is one thing I've learn following NHL hockey for as long as I have....

You just never know what combo's click and which won't. On paper I agree Samsonov and Kovalev might not be the greatest of linemates...or bring out the best in each other, but when on the ice together something might click and make them a great combo. I think one of the thing that makes good linemates is the ability to know the other players tendencies, and to know where they are and where they may be going.

08-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Yahoo, a Bill sighting.

Vacation ?
Disgust ?
Incarceration ?

There are no ugly mutts Bill, just ugly dog owners.

Unfortunately, those three are not mutually exclusive.

Old
08-08-2006, 09:12 AM
mcphee

Borrow your spouse's moisturizer [as if you have to], it helps with the ankle bracelet rash. The rest, you're on your own.

Old
08-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Borrow your spouse's moisturizer [as if you have to], it helps with the ankle bracelet rash. The rest, you're on your own.
Thanks for the info, but I don't really care if they get a rash ( ). I usually use the moisturizer for other things.

Old
08-08-2006, 09:42 AM
The CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
I understand where you are coming from, but if there is one thing I've learn following NHL hockey for as long as I have....

You just never know what combo's click and which won't. On paper I agree Samsonov and Kovalev might not be the greatest of linemates...or bring out the best in each other, but when on the ice together something might click and make them a great combo. I think one of the thing that makes good linemates is the ability to know the other players tendencies, and to know where they are and where they may be going.

I alos think there is somehting else else that everyone is overlooking, Samsonov is a right hand shot and Kovalev is a left hand shot. They both play the off wing too, they both have good shots and incredible vision. What does this mean..... they will be setting themselves up for Onetimers and I seriously think this is somehting that WILL make a big difference. Someone who is not only capable of capitilising but being able to see the open man on the other side too.

The CUBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 10:06 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Thanks for the info, but I don't really care if they get a rash ( ). I usually use the moisturizer for other things.
Mme.Bill reads screen left on inadvertently, screams, rushes to install locks in bathroom cupboards.

Old
08-08-2006, 10:10 AM
mcphee

I think the original concern is that there is only 1 puck. You have a line of 3 players who like to hang onto it, let the play develop and catch an open man late. Kovalev seemed to direct Ribs to go to the net more without the puck, so that took Ribs out of his comfort zone. From what I've seen and read, Samsonov isn't what they'd call a one touch player either. When Kovalev played with Saku, he was able to produce off some one timers, so if he adjust to his linemates, they can be productive. Kovalev creates space and apparently Samsonov is lethal in space, so we'll see I guess.