HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Samsonov and Kovalev: Too similar to be linemates?

Old
08-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Gros Bill

vCash: 500
Mme.Bill reads screen left on inadvertently, screams, rushes to ... buy industrial strength moisturizer in super sized 3 gallon jar.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
I understand where you are coming from, but if there is one thing I've learn following NHL hockey for as long as I have....

You just never know what combo's click and which won't. On paper I agree Samsonov and Kovalev might not be the greatest of linemates...or bring out the best in each other, but when on the ice together something might click and make them a great combo. I think one of the thing that makes good linemates is the ability to know the other players tendencies, and to know where they are and where they may be going.
Of course. I'm not saying with certainty that they will clash, but I think there is a greater possibility of that happening with them than with other players simply because they are both centre-piece types, even if Samsonov is not as good as Kovalev. It's not just the offensive chemistry that I wonder about, though. I wonder about how that line will play against tough offensive opponents, especially in our own end (ie. how well they can recover the puck, how well they can execute a break out - especially on the boards...). Understanding that there is no way to know for sure, what are your thoughts on this part of their game? Who would you like to see them play with?

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think the original concern is that there is only 1 puck. You have a line of 3 players who like to hang onto it, let the play develop and catch an open man late. Kovalev seemed to direct Ribs to go to the net more without the puck, so that took Ribs out of his comfort zone. From what I've seen and read, Samsonov isn't what they'd call a one touch player either. When Kovalev played with Saku, he was able to produce off some one timers, so if he adjust to his linemates, they can be productive. Kovalev creates space and apparently Samsonov is lethal in space, so we'll see I guess.
That sounds pretty good.

Bottom line, I figure we have a training camp, an exhibition season, and then probably 82-games worth of line juggling and posters doing the ol' "@*#)$# Carbo why aren't you playing Samsonov with ______!!!!!" before we're really sure where he should play and whether or not he meshes with Kovalev.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 10:24 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think the original concern is that there is only 1 puck. You have a line of 3 players who like to hang onto it, let the play develop and catch an open man late.
So we just have to give them THREE puck!

See? No problem!

Stop worrying guys!

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 10:29 AM
SOLR

I guess nobody watched the olympics. Same line. They have great chemistry together, and with samsonov on the line Kovalev plays like a scorer, he will shoot more often.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

vCash: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
no, he's THAT good.
haha

Freddie Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
Of course. I'm not saying with certainty that they will clash, but I think there is a greater possibility of that happening with them than with other players simply because they are both centre-piece types, even if Samsonov is not as good as Kovalev. It's not just the offensive chemistry that I wonder about, though. I wonder about how that line will play against tough offensive opponents, especially in our own end (ie. how well they can recover the puck, how well they can execute a break out - especially on the boards...). Understanding that there is no way to know for sure, what are your thoughts on this part of their game? Who would you like to see them play with?
I'm not sure if I want to see the three of them on the same line. Part of me thinks it could be a good line, part of me sees, as you mentioned the downfalls.

I right away think of the defensive liabilities, but then part of me thinks, if the line scores enough, if might counteract any defensive deficiencies. Also, I would expect that if our other three lines have a better than average defensive conscious, maybe one line of all O with little D won't exactly be a bad thing.

I dunno. I guess I default to the fact that hopefully the coaching staff will figure the whole thing out, and whatever happens will work out for the best.

08-08-2006, 01:00 PM
P-M Bouchard

I think Samsonov and Kovalev actually looked similar in the Olympics.

P-M Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:00 PM
guapo23

[QUOTE=Catch-22;6232770]

Samsonov and Kovalev are both players who like to be the "go to" guy. They both hang onto the puck and like to dangle, which isn't a bad thing for players with their talent. But at this very early stage, I do worry slightly that having two guys like that on the same line could lead to a little bit of a clash. QUOTE]

I disagree. I find Samsonov likes to use his speed and rush forward, not dangle back and slow the play down.

Ribeiro is the one who likes to slow it down. So deos Kovalev sometimes.

I never thought Ribeiro is a good linemate for Kovalev because they are both players who like to control the puck entering the zone.

The other top 6 forwards seem to be more give-and-go style players.
Kovalev and Ribeiro like being in control as they enter the zone and tend to stall the play to create more space....

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:36 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I guess nobody watched the olympics. Same line. They have great chemistry together, and with samsonov on the line Kovalev plays like a scorer, he will shoot more often.
This would be a very god thing and I truly hope you are correct!
The more Kovalev shoots the more he will score which is just pointing out the obvious.

But I really believe that Kovalev could out up similar goal numbers to Jagr.

Last year Jagr scored 54 times on 368 shots which is about 15%

Kovalev was not as good as he only had 23 on 206 shots which is about 11% but from what I have gathered they both have the ability to gain space and unleash one hell of a shot!

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 02:00 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Samsonov reminds me of Chuck Norris.
Nay Nay , you mean Chuck Norris reminds you of Samsonov

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Catch-22

Remember, the Olympics are played on international ice surfaces, which allow a lot more time for puck handling.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:13 PM
JackieChan

The amout of chucknorrisness in this thread is astonishing.

I would much prefer seeing Samsonov with Ribs - Kovy rather than Ryder. Putting our two best snipers on the same line doesn't seem like the best way to optimize our ressources.

For the line-chemistry aspect, I guess we'll see in october.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:26 PM
wholeshow*

imagine this play on a nightly basis.
samsonov skates around the net with speed moves past his own zone line drop passing it to kovalev who dangles his way past the opposition and stick handles swiftly through the opposing blue line and unloads a howitzer of a shot causing a massive rebound which is quickly pounced on by a streaking samsonv who manages to go roof daddy on the sprawling goaltender...
while mike ribeiro is in the corner laying the smacketh down on tough guys like nick boynton.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 03:57 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
This would be a very god thing and I truly hope you are correct!
The more Kovalev shoots the more he will score which is just pointing out the obvious.

But I really believe that Kovalev could out up similar goal numbers to Jagr.

Last year Jagr scored 54 times on 368 shots which is about 15%

Kovalev was not as good as he only had 23 on 206 shots which is about 11% but from what I have gathered they both have the ability to gain space and unleash one hell of a shot!

Name me(anyone can ) 1 playmaker with speed Kovalev had in all of last year. Zednik? No playmaking skills, Bulis? hands of stone, Ribeiro? Wheres the speed. Kovalev will get naturally more shots because he will get more chances, and Ribeiro will be able to score more garbage goals.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote