Notices

2013 League Rumors/Trades/Signings Discussion III

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 08:19 AM
bp13

vCash: 500
Did anyone answer this?

What does this Morrow deal do to Pitt's cap? Can they still acquire Iginla without unloading a big salary?

Old
03-25-2013, 08:19 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
For everyone who says "Iginla is a shell of his former self, etc. etc."... how many times have you watched him play this year? Genuinely curious. I'm of the opinion these talent evaluations get spouted once or twice then spread like wildfire. He'd be one of the 3 best forwards on this team right now.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:26 AM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
What does this Morrow deal do to Pitt's cap? Can they still acquire Iginla without unloading a big salary?

My understanding is that the cap is basically meaningless this year. Given the short season, and the limited number of games

Penguins were 9 million under the cap, which means they could take something like 30 million in contracts.

Basically every team in the league is flush with cap space for this year. That is one of the reasons it is so hard to make a deal, combined with of course the fact that eveyone is in playoff contention

Old
03-25-2013, 08:34 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
My understanding is that the cap is basically meaningless this year. Given the short season, and the limited number of games

Penguins were 9 million under the cap, which means they could take something like 30 million in contracts.

Basically every team in the league is flush with cap space for this year. That is one of the reasons it is so hard to make a deal, combined with of course the fact that eveyone is in playoff contention
Ok.

Gotta think though that giving up Morrow couldn't have been easy. I wonder if they'd also be willing to part with the prospects it'd take to get Iginla.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
A ways back.

Pittsburgh at the time of acquiring Morrow could add 24.6 mill worth of AVV according to capgeek.

Take away Morrows 4.1mill and they can still add upwards of 20mill in AAV today. Although that number is likely a touch high due to callups and such that capgeek may have missed, that is the approximate. That number increases slightly the closer we get to the deadline also. They could add 3 Iginla's if they chose.

The impact to next year is a little more foggy. They have 53mill committed to the 64.3 limit, with 8 forwards, 6 defensemen and 2 goalies. Notables that need to be resigned are all low cost types (Cooke, Dupuis, Adams, Jeffrey, Eaton). They could feasibly acquire Iginla and rather easily resign him.

You look at their current prospect pool and they seem to have an abundance of attractive pieces, probably in better shape in that regard then we are as Calgary is apparently looking at a solid D prospect coming back. Pittsburgh still has Pouliot, Despres, Maatta, Dumoulin, and Harrington.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:47 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
For everyone who says "Iginla is a shell of his former self, etc. etc."... how many times have you watched him play this year? Genuinely curious. I'm of the opinion these talent evaluations get spouted once or twice then spread like wildfire. He'd be one of the 3 best forwards on this team right now.
He'd help many ways- I think it would be a great pickup as long as they dont give up the farm; likey resign him also

Feaster has 4 teams to deal with all four GM's have won a Cup in last 4 years no job security pressure

also, Iginla is going and this reminds me of Bourque who ended going West, had it been to the rival Flyers might have been tough

I know if I am Feaster all things equal I want him in the East.
Calgary only plays Chicago in April- no Kings on schedule, but the Kings will be in the 7 team Division with Calgary next season and that would be a total bummer to see him coming in a handful of times; Chicago is also over in that Conference.

I can't see Dean Lombardi still wallowing in a Cup giving up Tyler Toffoli (who I've seen 3 or 4 times between Manchester a half hour from work, and Providence and who I love) and Bernier. You really think for a rental the Kings want to be looking at that for the next 6-10 years...um no

same for Chicago- they would take him I'm sure but Saad and others

I think both of these guys would be happy to see him go to Pittsburgh or Boston

Chiarelli is pretty shrewd and I would bet he is talking to these two Western teams about their interest in him and if he senses its between he an Pittsburgh that changes things a bit Being in different Conferences really changes dialogue- I remember Burke saying that when he took over Toronto from the Ducks. Boston I'm sure will be talking to both Chicago and LA on this

We (me and Jamie aka Godfather here) have Joe Morrow in the SIM League so I follow him more than other prospects not Bruins related and he has a very high upside. This was a pretty big price to pay for Brendan Morrow. Not sure the Pens want to go back there and pony up what the Flames fans or more importantly Feaster will give.

I think he's got a got shot of coming and maybe the Bruins give up Subban considering the develpment of Svedberg, but that by itself is a huge price for 11 games and atleast one playoff series for him,

I think he is exactly what this team could use and could see him staying for a few years- but Chiarelli has more strength here than many think; he can be patient and feels no where near the pressure those that crave for the iconic player we do.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:51 AM
biggles8

Iginla changes this team and its lethargy instantly IMO and everyone else follows. No he's not the same guy as say 5 seasons ago but if you have the cap room (and we do) and it takes say Koko, Peverly and next years first rounder which will be a late round pick then I do that deal in a second.
So many folks seem so obsessed over every single prospect we've got in the chute it's ridiculous .
This is JEROME IGINLA and he plays to win every shift of every game even for a very middle of the road Calgary club.
Unless Calgary's demands are ridiculous I'd have him in uniform here for the Montreal game .
Go for the Cup any and every chance you've got a shot at it realistically and take your chances on resigning him later
That guy was born to play for Boston.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:54 AM
BadBruins

I would rather target Bouwmeester if he's available and the price point is right (like not multiple top-6 forward prospects and picks). He's a 29 year old top-3 defenseman who skates well and can play in every situation. I know he's somewhat of a strange fellow, but he might be the perfect guy to take stress minutes away from Chara and Seidenberg.

Chara-Seidenberg
Bouwmeester-Boychuk
Ference-Hamilton
McQuaid
Johnson

It'd still take a lot of creativity to fix the 3rd line though.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:56 AM
NASCL

Who has more value in the trade market right now: Iginla or Nathan Horton?

Old
03-25-2013, 08:57 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
A ways back.

Pittsburgh at the time of acquiring Morrow could add 24.6 mill worth of AVV according to capgeek.

Take away Morrows 4.1mill and they can still add upwards of 20mill in AAV today. Although that number is likely a touch high due to callups and such that capgeek may have missed, that is the approximate. That number increases slightly the closer we get to the deadline also. They could add 3 Iginla's if they chose.

The impact to next year is a little more foggy. They have 53mill committed to the 64.3 limit, with 8 forwards, 6 defensemen and 2 goalies. Notables that need to be resigned are all low cost types (Cooke, Dupuis, Adams, Jeffrey, Eaton). They could feasibly acquire Iginla and rather easily resign him.

You look at their current prospect pool and they seem to have an abundance of attractive pieces, probably in better shape in that regard then we are as Calgary is apparently looking at a solid D prospect coming back. Pittsburgh still has Pouliot, Despres, Maatta, Dumoulin, and Harrington.
Well that's not very good news.

I have to wonder if the Bruins would ever consider moving a real player off their roster to make a deal happen. Thinking out loud, would the Bruins ever consider including Lucic in a deal to Calgary if it was expanded to include J-Bo, Glencross or Cammalleri? Not advocating such a deal nor do I have a feeling as to whether they'd do it, but certainly if they were open to it then other deals become possible right? I mean theoretically you could call Dallas about Eriksson if you made Lucic available. Maybe try to add Robidas or Daly?

This thought isn't a cue to the Lucic lovers to come running on defending his intangibles. I'm not advocating it I'm just noting that he's a coveted guy and being open to moving him changes the types of deals we could structure.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:58 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
He'd help many ways- I think it would be a great pickup as long as they dont give up the farm; likey resign him also

Feaster has 4 teams to deal with all four GM's have won a Cup in last 4 years no job security pressure

also, Iginla is going and this reminds me of Bourque who ended going West, had it been to the rival Flyers might have been tough

I know if I am Feaster all things equal I want him in the East.
Calgary only plays Chicago in April- no Kings on schedule, but the Kings will be in the 7 team Division with Calgary next season and that would be a total bummer to see him coming in a handful of times; Chicago is also over in that Conference.

I can't see Dean Lombardi still wallowing in a Cup giving up Tyler Toffoli (who I've seen 3 or 4 times between Manchester a half hour from work, and Providence and who I love) and Bernier. You really think for a rental the Kings want to be looking at that for the next 6-10 years...um no

same for Chicago- they would take him I'm sure but Saad and others

I think both of these guys would be happy to see him go to Pittsburgh or Boston

Chiarelli is pretty shrewd and I would bet he is talking to these two Western teams about their interest in him and if he senses its between he an Pittsburgh that changes things a bit Being in different Conferences really changes dialogue- I remember Burke saying that when he took over Toronto from the Ducks. Boston I'm sure will be talking to both Chicago and LA on this

We (me and Jamie aka Godfather here) have Joe Morrow in the SIM League so I follow him more than other prospects not Bruins related and he has a very high upside. This was a pretty big price to pay for Brendan Morrow. Not sure the Pens want to go back there and pony up what the Flames fans or more importantly Feaster will give.

I think he's got a got shot of coming and maybe the Bruins give up Subban considering the develpment of Svedberg, but that by itself is a huge price for 11 games and atleast one playoff series for him,

I think he is exactly what this team could use and could see him staying for a few years- but Chiarelli has more strength here than many think; he can be patient and feels no where near the pressure those that crave for the iconic player we do.
Agreed on all points, no doubt Chiarelli is negotiating from a position of strength re: Iginla. Do the Bruins absolutely have to have him? No. Would it be nice? Absolutely. Still, with such a short list of teams (and I'm betting Pittsburgh is out of the running now that they've traded (their to)Morrow for Morrow), Feaster is going to become desperate for a return.

I'd probably do Subban, Caron + pick. I'd be much more hesitant if Subban was replaced with Spooner (I know you walk away there) or KoKo. That said, I think Chiarelli can get him without giving up Spooner or KoKo.

Here's hoping he does.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:58 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCL View Post
Who has more value in the trade market right now: Iginla or Nathan Horton?
Iginla

Better player, not by much though. Also adds the added "name" benefit, as well as the supposed leadership, grit, etc. that is close to unmatched in the NHL, supposedly.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Anyway, Iginla will chose the team that has the best shot at the Cup, which means he'll be a Hawk in a few hours/days.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:00 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Quote:
Well that's not very good news.

I have to wonder if the Bruins would ever consider moving a real player off their roster to make a deal happen. Thinking out loud, would the Bruins ever consider including Lucic in a deal to Calgary if it was expanded to include J-Bo, Glencross or Cammalleri? Not advocating such a deal nor do I have a feeling as to whether they'd do it, but certainly if they were open to it then other deals become possible right? I mean theoretically you could call Dallas about Eriksson if you made Lucic available. Maybe try to add Robidas or Daly?

This thought isn't a cue to the Lucic lovers to come running on defending his intangibles. I'm not advocating it I'm just noting that he's a coveted guy and being open to moving him changes the types of deals we could structure.
Feaster drives Iginla to the airport if he's getting Lucic back in a deal. Lucic would immediately replace Iggy as the face of that franchise. No chance I move him there even if the return is J-Bo/Glencross/Cammalleri.

Dallas on the other hand would be intriguing. Eriksson for Lucic straight up?

Old
03-25-2013, 09:04 AM
NASCL

Quote:
Feaster drives Iginla to the airport if he's getting Lucic back in a deal. Lucic would immediately replace Iggy as the face of that franchise. No chance I move him there even if the return is J-Bo/Glencross/Cammalleri.

I've always thought Vancouver would overpay for Lucic. Kesler (I know he's injured) would intrigue me.

When's he due back?

Old
03-25-2013, 09:04 AM
bp13

Quote:

That's somewhat of a lateral move for us to swap LW's, especially if you grant Lucic all the intangibles. I'd think if we went after Eriksson we'd also target a defenseman.

I don't see how PC doesn't add a d-man. And not some Mottau/Zanon type stiff either. He needs a guy who can at least be a top 5-6 d-man, possibly top 4. Dallas has a few of those guys. If Dallas was open to dealing Loui, all of a sudden you have motivation to be open-minded, IMO.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:06 AM
EverettMike

Trading a top 6 forward in a deal for a top 6 forward is what we call a zero sum game.

Also, suggesting Looch for Iginla should get you banned from procreating.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:06 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCL View Post
I've always thought Vancouver would overpay for Lucic. Kesler (I know he's injured) would intrigue me.

When's he due back?
I would love Kessler, but at this point his injuries scare me. Surely Lucic is almost exactly what that team needs, to a tee. But it would take Kessler, and he's not in good enough shape for the Bruins to make that deal at this point.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Eennad142

Carl Soderberg is the forgotten man. Fills the need, easy on the wallet. Save a roster spot and check the flight schedule.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:07 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Trading a top 6 forward in a deal for a top 6 forward is what we call a zero sum game.

FWIW nobody suggested that. Some guy completely misinterpreted my suggestion and came up with that, but anybody can see that's crazy.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:09 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
FWIW nobody suggested that. Some guy completely misinterpreted my suggestion and came up with that, but anybody can see that's crazy.
Has been suggested on the radio, and I think a couple on here.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
Carl Soderberg is the forgotten man. Fills the need, easy on the wallet. Save a roster spot and check the flight schedule.
Soderberg means you can finally chuck the useless Pandolfo/Caron pair outta here, but you still need to handle the Lucic/Horton situation on Krejci's wing.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:11 AM
mikelvl

vCash: 487
Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec 11h
Source confirming that #CalgaryFlames are asking for TWO prospects and a draft pick for Jarome Iginla. No question, Iggy being shopped.

Spooner, Caron and a #1? Other teams may have more to offer. LA with Tyler Toffoli? Chicago with Brandon Saad?

Old
03-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Soderberg means you can finally chuck the useless Pandolfo/Caron pair outta here, but you still need to handle the Lucic/Horton situation on Krejci's wing.
Agreed, but trading one or both of Lucic/ Horton isnt the answer. IMO swap Seguin and Horton. Seguin adds speed to the Krejci line, and forces Lucic to move his feet. Horton would be ok with Bergeron and Marchand. Both #37 & #63 like to carry the puck, just instruct #18 to crash the crease and get some greasy goals. If only it were THAT easy

Old
03-25-2013, 09:19 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post

I think Chiarelli should lurk in the Iginla discussion, if only because GMs are odd, look at the package Columbus took back for Rick Nash. Instead of soaking the Rangers for picks and prospects, they got 1, maybe 2 useful pieces.

I'd still be stunned if Boston actually offered Khokhlachev and a 2nd for Morrow, who quite frankly has been terrible this year (31 SOG in 29 games).

I'd also be less than hesitant to include Peverley. They might need to trade him in the offseason anyway because of cap considerations.

Closed Thread