HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poutine

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2013, 04:07 PM
  #176
Uber Coca
Registered User
 
Uber Coca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Had a chicken poutine at Benny last week. Still the best.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:10 PM
  #177
juve
Registered User
 
juve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
its super overrated, because most people go there wasted, and when your wasted, you can be eating a 2 year old hot dog, and find it "mind blowing"
I went there for the first time last week. I had the t-rex poutine and it so far the best poutine I've had. All though, it could have use a bit more cheese and sauce.

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:27 AM
  #178
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,687
vCash: 500
i live in a place where gravy cannot be bought pre-made and cheese is expensive and occasionally hard to find. essentially, i have to make everything myself.

for my gravy i use:
water
beef stock
flour
parsley
soy sauce
pepper/salt

parsley and soy sauce might look out of place, but they taste like they belong. then, boil that sucker down to the consistency you want

i tried making my own mozzarella cheese before but let's say the experiment was.... rather unsuccessful. so i buy a brick of chinese made mozzarella when i can. it's really not as bad as it sounds

the rest is easy, cut up some potatoes in the shape you want, deep-fry the *****es, mix everything and eat until you can no more!

i am quite the chef, oh, and i also make my own bagels

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:00 AM
  #179
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
La Banquise is big time overrated in my eyes. You can get much better poutines for cheaper at at most fry shacks.
Pretty much. They're better for variety than anything else. I"ve always found their gravy incredibly weak, and they tend to go really easy on the cheese. Which I hate.

It's always ****ing full of ****ing hipsters too.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:13 AM
  #180
PhysicX
Registered User
 
PhysicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,493
vCash: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Pretty much. They're better for variety than anything else. I"ve always found their gravy incredibly weak, and they tend to go really easy on the cheese. Which I hate.

It's always ****ing full of ****ing hipsters too.
And where's the problem in that? Irritating to your eyes? The times I've been there, had no issue with anyone. Your hate is aimed at the wrong folks...

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:31 AM
  #181
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,967
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
As a self appointed Poutine expert, I can confirm that the 'crushed fries' poutine as served at Poutineville is out of this world. This poutine innovation is a game changer equivalent to the Geoffrion slapshot or the Patrick Roy butterfly technique.

Poutinville allows for poutine customization... my favorite is Pizza (pepperoni, green pepper) Poutine with papates ecrasees!
I didn't try the "crushed fries" one but I went to Poutineville for a birthday dinner last month and was pretty underwhelmed by the whole experience. The place was jam ****ing packed, had to wait a while for my table (reserved), they got a few of our orders wrong, and the poutines just weren't anything to write home about.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:36 AM
  #182
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
I went there for the first time last week. I had the t-rex poutine and it so far the best poutine I've had. All though, it could have use a bit more cheese and sauce.
So...the fries were good?

I dunno, I like the options there, but when you have weak gravy (non-starter for me) and scarce cheese (another big strike), I think you need to find a new poutine place.

As for out of town options, there's a small shack in Orleans (East-Ottawa) called Fritomania. The gravy is insanely thick (you could flip your poutine upside down and it wouldn't run..), the cheese is perfect (they keep it cold, so it only half melts on your poutine, and you don't get a sloppy mess of melted cheese once you get home) and their fries are cooked in peanut oil, which makes them absolutely amazing. They fresh cut all their fries in front of you as well. But the best part is definitely the gravy. It's so good, sometimes I just get an order of large fries, and a medium container of gravy and then dip away like a big fatass. I don't even need the cheese.

If ever you are in Ottawa, you -have- to stop at Fritomania on St-Joseph BLVD. There will be a lineup (usually 5-10 people), but it's worth it, and they are fast.


Last edited by Dr Gonzo: 03-25-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:29 AM
  #183
jpchabby
Registered User
 
jpchabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
it's not located in a very touristic place or anything, but people should try Paulo et Suzanne's poutines... they're amazing...

If you wanna know, it's in Cartierville, up north, right in front of Hôpital Sacré-Coeur, on Gouin boulevard.

I always take the BBO poutine (Beef/Bacon/Onions), my friend takes the Philly Steak poutine (steak, hot pepper, etc.) It's absolutely amazing. And, open 24/7.

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:42 AM
  #184
Bloumeister
RIP Jean Béliveau
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @Bloumeister
Posts: 6,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Pretty much. They're better for variety than anything else. I"ve always found their gravy incredibly weak, and they tend to go really easy on the cheese. Which I hate.

It's always ****ing full of ****ing hipsters too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
And where's the problem in that? Irritating to your eyes? The times I've been there, had no issue with anyone. Your hate is aimed at the wrong folks...
Is it?




Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:01 PM
  #185
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,559
vCash: 500
Seems like you guys dont know much about restaurant a bag of quality cheddar curds good for +/- 20 poutines sells for 50-60-70 dollars. No wonder why they go easy on the cheese.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:23 PM
  #186
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,967
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Seems like you guys dont know much about restaurant a bag of quality cheddar curds good for +/- 20 poutines sells for 50-60-70 dollars. No wonder why they go easy on the cheese.
When I go to a restaurant, I don't really care about their costs or overhead...I care about how delicious the food going into my mouth is.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:29 PM
  #187
sansabri
#blocktheboat
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saint-Hubert, QC
Country: Palestine
Posts: 10,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Had a chicken poutine at Benny last week. Still the best.
ah, the best part about living in the South Shore.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:31 PM
  #188
De Montreal
help
 
De Montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: omg montréal lolzzz
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
That is not weird at all.
Ask Jee, I actually am a good person and it wouldnt be all that strange I think

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:54 PM
  #189
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Seems like you guys dont know much about restaurant a bag of quality cheddar curds good for +/- 20 poutines sells for 50-60-70 dollars. No wonder why they go easy on the cheese.
What an incredibly irrelevant post. What does it matter who pays how much and for what? Obviously, if one is disattisfied with the amount of cheese on one's poutine, it's because he's making direct comparisons to other poutines of equalish value/calibre. They're all paying about the same for their poutine cheese.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:05 PM
  #190
Originalsix
Registered User
 
Originalsix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
In the west island, off St Jean & Roger Pilon is a place called "Pizza Nikkos"

Their poutine is quite tasty, it's their sauce, it's so damn delicious.

Also Decarie Hotdog is like crack for me, so good.

Originalsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:09 PM
  #191
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
What an incredibly irrelevant post. What does it matter who pays how much and for what? Obviously, if one is disattisfied with the amount of cheese on one's poutine, it's because he's making direct comparisons to other poutines of equalish value/calibre. They're all paying about the same for their poutine cheese.
Too many times people have complained for things like : Huh, your Poutine is so damn expensive.
Or huh, your poutine has no cheese what the heck.
Or huh, your poutine has poor quality cheese, screw you.

Cheese is freaking expensive(For good quality) its the only thing I wanted to point out that might give the poutines you guys ate better/worse arguments


No need to get all chippy.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:13 PM
  #192
TheCanasianfrasian
Registered User
 
TheCanasianfrasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 972
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
Best poutine in Québec is at Restaurant Labelle in Lachute, QC.

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:21 AM
  #193
Bud2790
Registered User
 
Bud2790's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
it's not located in a very touristic place or anything, but people should try Paulo et Suzanne's poutines... they're amazing...

If you wanna know, it's in Cartierville, up north, right in front of Hôpital Sacré-Coeur, on Gouin boulevard.

I always take the BBO poutine (Beef/Bacon/Onions), my friend takes the Philly Steak poutine (steak, hot pepper, etc.) It's absolutely amazing. And, open 24/7.
This! It's a 5-7 minute walk from my house or 1 minute drive so let's just say, I'm there pretty often haha! I usually stick to the regular poutine but add extra cheese (layer of cheese at the bottom, plus the cheese on top), but I've also had the BBO a few times and it's just as good.

I don't mind La Banquise, but IMO Paulo & Suzanne's is way better!

Edit: Open 24/7 and they also serve breakfast 24/7 Their pancakes with nutella and strawberrys or bananas are delicious. To be honest, everything I've ever tried has been good.

Edit 2: Aaaaand I'm now craving a poutine. F this thread


Last edited by Bud2790: 03-26-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Bud2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:42 AM
  #194
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk
 
Theosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DDO, Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,539
vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2790 View Post
Edit: Open 24/7 and they also serve breakfast 24/7 Their pancakes with nutella and strawberrys or bananas are delicious.
I make the same thing once in a while except I make crepes instead of pancakes. All my friends/family that's ever had them tell me they love them. I've actually had a few friends ask me to make them like 30 crepes and they'd pay me

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:33 AM
  #195
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pominville, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,008
vCash: 50
For people who live in the east end.

http://www.topmenu.com/media/SteveLe...SEPT2012--.pdf

Good poutine and open 24h and for delivery too. Try the special steve le roi #2 it has hot peppers and Italian sausage, it's pretty damn good.

Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:14 AM
  #196
bib
#believe
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Finally found cheese curds near me, and to make things even better, they sell for $1.99 a pack. Good deal.


So, the other night I had way too many beers and decided to make a poutine. I used a whole pack of french fries, 1 1/2 packs of cheese, some chicken, and a whole pack of some st. hubert bbq sauce I bought when I was in Quebec.

I ate until I couldn't eat, then I ate some more until it was gone.

Looked the next day to see how many fries were in each packet... 2 pounds


bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:46 PM
  #197
googlymoogly
Registered User
 
googlymoogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
Finally found cheese curds near me, and to make things even better, they sell for $1.99 a pack. Good deal.


So, the other night I had way too many beers and decided to make a poutine. I used a whole pack of french fries, 1 1/2 packs of cheese, some chicken, and a whole pack of some st. hubert bbq sauce I bought when I was in Quebec.

I ate until I couldn't eat, then I ate some more until it was gone.

Looked the next day to see how many fries were in each packet... 2 pounds

So in the fall we had Brian Savage on HF. Now, I think you might be Latendresse. How do you like playing for Ottawa?

googlymoogly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:32 PM
  #198
Galchenyuk94
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalsix View Post
In the west island, off St Jean & Roger Pilon is a place called "Pizza Nikkos"

Their poutine is quite tasty, it's their sauce, it's so damn delicious.

Also Decarie Hotdog is like crack for me, so good.
I'll have to try the poutine at pizza nikkos tonight. I've never eaten there. I'm taking your word for it!

Other places in the west island

The belle province on sources and the 40 (the 24H one)
The chicken poutine at cote st-luc BBQ on sources

Then again I love the mcdo poutine

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:28 AM
  #199
Guy Germaine
Registered User
 
Guy Germaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
I'll have to try the poutine at pizza nikkos tonight. I've never eaten there. I'm taking your word for it!

Other places in the west island

The belle province on sources and the 40 (the 24H one)
The chicken poutine at cote st-luc BBQ on sources

Then again I love the mcdo poutine
I can vouch for Niko's. It's not a classic poutine as it's made with big thick cut fries and a light gravy, but delicious non the less.
Best in the west though IMO is Montreal Station on Pierrefonds Blvd.

http://www.westislandchronicle.com/L...to-the-metal/1

arcticle is a few years old but It still holds weight.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:32 AM
  #200
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
Finally found cheese curds near me, and to make things even better, they sell for $1.99 a pack. Good deal.
Really?? Wow, that's a great deal. Were they good?

I live fairly close to St-Albert (best curds IMO), and it still costs $4.99 for a small bag, or $8.99 for a large bag (500 G)

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.