HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2013, 12:39 AM
  #376
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,594
vCash: 500
I'm all for buying out Bryz after next season if he sucks again. I don't know what to make of this shortened season, it's been a weird one with the compressed schedule.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:40 AM
  #377
ahthorne
Registered User
 
ahthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
I still wanna buy out Bryz, even though he occasionally has games like this (which are few and far between). Am I the only one?
The contract is really bad, so no you shouldn't be. I'd do it if there was an option that I felt would give the team the same if not a greater chance to win hockey games. Jon Bernier+decent back-up? Sure! Ben Bishop+decent back-up? Maybe. Sign another UFA to another big contract? Nope. Ray Emery+Leighton? NO. There's no 'easy fix' if we buy out Bryz unless we take a step back and make a move for a young goalie and have him develop with the team or throw more money at the hole and hope it fixes itself.

I hope they buy him out in 2014 but get a back-up in the meantime (Ben Bishop?) who can steal the job from him over next season, making the buyout a lot easier. Or Bryz could become a top goalie again...

ahthorne is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:45 AM
  #378
markzab
Registered User
 
markzab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA.
Country: United States
Posts: 4,368
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to markzab
Buy out Bryz, sign Sunshine, pray.

markzab is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:48 AM
  #379
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgLindros View Post
No your not, but not this offseason. Frodo needs to be bought out first. Invest in a backup that can be consistent/win the job, and wait for the 2nd buyout.
You can buyout both players at the same time. It's 2 buyouts to be used any time you want either this offseason or next offseason.

WeekendAtBernies is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:49 AM
  #380
CyborgLindros
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
Buy out Bryz, sign Sunshine, pray.
If he wanted to be here. It would have happened. However, the Luongo situation in Vancouver is something I could see blowing our way. NOT in a trade but if Luongo was bought out and could be had at a reasonable cap hit. I wouldn't be opposed to having him as a stop gap.

Edit: Nevermind timing wouldn't be an issue. I did not realize both could be bought out in the same offseason.
Thanks to Bernie!


Last edited by CyborgLindros: 03-25-2013 at 01:01 AM.
CyborgLindros is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:58 AM
  #381
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 500
I just really hate that contract he has, both the length and cap hit. Don't you kinda think it's pretty obvious they should buy him out? They are not getting consistent production from him at all and he has not proven he can continue to put up elite/consistent after ONE good performance. I don't even think its a question he should be bought out...

But does Homer feel the same way I guess is the real question..

Sniped is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 03:06 AM
  #382
markzab
Registered User
 
markzab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA.
Country: United States
Posts: 4,368
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgLindros View Post
If he wanted to be here. It would have happened. However, the Luongo situation in Vancouver is something I could see blowing our way. NOT in a trade but if Luongo was bought out and could be had at a reasonable cap hit. I wouldn't be opposed to having him as a stop gap.

Edit: Nevermind timing wouldn't be an issue. I did not realize both could be bought out in the same offseason.
Thanks to Bernie!
The rumor is that he didn't want to come over unless he was getting a spot on the roster. At this point if that's the case, I'd give it to him.

markzab is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 03:22 AM
  #383
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I'm all for buying out Bryz after next season if he sucks again. I don't know what to make of this shortened season, it's been a weird one with the compressed schedule.
I'd buy him out regardless of his performance. His contract is awful, and we have a rare chance to get out of it before it's too late.

It'll be hard as hell to do if he does go nuts and has a great year, but it's more than likely better for the long run.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:44 AM
  #384
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgLindros View Post
If he wanted to be here. It would have happened. However, the Luongo situation in Vancouver is something I could see blowing our way. NOT in a trade but if Luongo was bought out and could be had at a reasonable cap hit. I wouldn't be opposed to having him as a stop gap.

Edit: Nevermind timing wouldn't be an issue. I did not realize both could be bought out in the same offseason.
Thanks to Bernie!
Do you really see Luongo getting a "decent" cap hit on the open market? I sure as hel don't

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 12:01 PM
  #385
CSKA1974
Registered User
 
CSKA1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyerville
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'd buy him out regardless of his performance. His contract is awful, and we have a rare chance to get out of it before it's too late.

It'll be hard as hell to do if he does go nuts and has a great year, but it's more than likely better for the long run.
Pretty much this. However, that means ~$25 mil. wasted + money for a new goalie contract- tough business decisions

CSKA1974 is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 03:26 PM
  #386
CyborgLindros
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Do you really see Luongo getting a "decent" cap hit on the open market? I sure as hel don't
I should be more clear decent being comparable to Bryz currently. I think Luongo could be had for that kind of money. The less likely part is getting him on a 2/3 year deal

CyborgLindros is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 04:00 PM
  #387
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
so are you saying that a goalies personal abilities are irrelevant? ??

so Bobo doing well in CBJ us purely a reflection of that team and not his own body of work?
no, what i'm saying is that may of the fan base [many of them seem to be "anti Bryz / contract"] here are so quick to declare how great Bob suddenly became after leaving the Flyers, after a whole 23 games, & seem to be totally discounting that this "great" goalie floundered in both of his seasons here [year 1 in the playoffs / year 2 all season] & that there could be a connection between that & how the Flyers play defensively.

it comes off as "Bob is great, he's better than Bryz, we kept the wrong goalie" ..... as if they "know" that Bob would post his CBJ numbers here.

didn't we all think Bryz would post his career / PHX numbers here ?

so, that's 2 goalies who each had better numbers elsewhere ...... the common denominator: the Flyers.

maybe, just maybe, it has something to do with CBJ & PHX.

Biron posts a .915 2.76 in 55 games w the Flyers
then .896 3.27 in 29 games for NYI
then .923 2.13 in 17 games with NYR

the teams matter, guys. that is what i'm saying.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 04:01 PM
  #388
CyborgLindros
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Pretty much this. However, that means ~$25 mil. wasted + money for a new goalie contract- tough business decisions
Made easier by Comcast

CyborgLindros is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 04:02 PM
  #389
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,131
vCash: 500
I don't think you understand that players Bob's age will tend to improve. Bob has improved. Going to Columbus hasn't allowed Bob to suddenly break out, especially if you're trying to argue that Columbus is some super-powerhouse compared to Philly. That team wins largely thanks to Bob. Drop Bryz in Columbus and they wouldn't have that point streak.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 04:14 PM
  #390
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'd buy him out regardless of his performance. His contract is awful, and we have a rare chance to get out of it before it's too late.

It'll be hard as hell to do if he does go nuts and has a great year, but it's more than likely better for the long run.
What's the attraction in giving Bryz another year? It just increases the likelihood that we make a massive mistake IMO. If he has two terrible years followed by one really good year, what do you do then? I mean, it's clear he's as inconsistent a starting goalie as you'll find in this league, so how can you ignore the 2 poor years? But at the same time how can you buy a guy out after he has a great year for you?

I think we need to buy him out now and not look back. He's shown us nothing to suggest he deserves a 3rd year.

WeekendAtBernies is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 04:51 PM
  #391
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I think we need to buy him out now and not look back.
i'd rather the Flyers ditch their "giddy up & effin' go" system. when they have played better defensively, Bryz has gotten the job done [March last year / vs PITT last night, to name just a few examples of him showing us reasons to keep him]

but, i'd have NO problem if they bought him out & gave many here a new scapegoat.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 04:53 PM
  #392
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
What's the attraction in giving Bryz another year? It just increases the likelihood that we make a massive mistake IMO. If he has two terrible years followed by one really good year, what do you do then? I mean, it's clear he's as inconsistent a starting goalie as you'll find in this league, so how can you ignore the 2 poor years? But at the same time how can you buy a guy out after he has a great year for you?

I think we need to buy him out now and not look back. He's shown us nothing to suggest he deserves a 3rd year.
I think you buy him out if there is a replacement in place, or at least a plan of attack. Don't just buy him out and compound that mistake by signing a guy like Backstrom to another huge contract.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 04:55 PM
  #393
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
What's the attraction in giving Bryz another year? It just increases the likelihood that we make a massive mistake IMO. If he has two terrible years followed by one really good year, what do you do then? I mean, it's clear he's as inconsistent a starting goalie as you'll find in this league, so how can you ignore the 2 poor years? But at the same time how can you buy a guy out after he has a great year for you?

I think we need to buy him out now and not look back. He's shown us nothing to suggest he deserves a 3rd year.
what hasn't he shown? he plays every game and gives us a chance to win imo. were not a good defensive team. last night we played great and managed to neutralize a lot of the finesse they were bringing for most of the night but it looked to me like we were playin in a maxed out way. as hard as we possibly could and still made the mistakes at the end that we've been makin throughout the season. your opinion is a generalization of your made up mind from last year. we give him another year cause he HAS played well this year. i don't care about his numbers. this is a team sport. also who do we replace him with? everyone has these trades and moves worked out but (and i know this is an opinion board) but its all based of B.S. even if we can get bernier i still think we should keep bryz for next year. we definitely buy him out next summer tho. i love the guy but theres no way i can pretend that contract is not gonna kill us down the road. its just way too long and he is what he is. he is not gonna have a tim thomas year at age 37 which i think they were sorta thinking was gonna happen if you put him on our team. i do think its time for a coaching change tho. and i mean goaltending and head.

funghoul is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 04:56 PM
  #394
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
i'd rather the Flyers ditch their "giddy up & effin' go" system. when they have played better defensively, Bryz has gotten the job done [March last year / vs PITT last night, to name just a few examples of him showing us reasons to keep him]

but, i'd have NO problem if they bought him out & gave many here a new scapegoat.
I'm sure you wont answer this, because it seems you've run out of answers for my questions...but do you believe Bryz would do better on Columbus? Why?

Do you think it's wise to completely change the system, regardless of the strengths of our players, just to suit the goalie? Or do you think it's a better idea to seek a goalie who doesn't need a perfect environment to succeed?

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 04:57 PM
  #395
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
what hasn't he shown? he plays every game and gives us a chance to win imo. were not a good defensive team. last night we played great and managed to neutralize a lot of the finesse they were bringing for most of the night but it looked to me like we were playin in a maxed out way. as hard as we possibly could and still made the mistakes at the end that we've been makin throughout the season. your opinion is a generalization of your made up mind from last year. we give him another year cause he HAS played well this year. i don't care about his numbers. this is a team sport. also who do we replace him with? everyone has these trades and moves worked out but (and i know this is an opinion board) but its all based of B.S. even if we can get bernier i still think we should keep bryz for next year. we definitely buy him out next summer tho. i love the guy but theres no way i can pretend that contract is not gonna kill us down the road. its just way too long and he is what he is. he is not gonna have a tim thomas year at age 37 which i think they were sorta thinking was gonna happen if you put him on our team. i do think its time for a coaching change tho.
I agree with the majority of this post. I'd like to keep him another year and hopefully get a backup lined up.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 05:31 PM
  #396
whatthef
Failure is an Option
 
whatthef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Darby
Country: United States
Posts: 4,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
what hasn't he shown? he plays every game and gives us a chance to win imo. were not a good defensive team. last night we played great and managed to neutralize a lot of the finesse they were bringing for most of the night but it looked to me like we were playin in a maxed out way. as hard as we possibly could and still made the mistakes at the end that we've been makin throughout the season. your opinion is a generalization of your made up mind from last year. we give him another year cause he HAS played well this year. i don't care about his numbers. this is a team sport. also who do we replace him with? everyone has these trades and moves worked out but (and i know this is an opinion board) but its all based of B.S. even if we can get bernier i still think we should keep bryz for next year. we definitely buy him out next summer tho. i love the guy but theres no way i can pretend that contract is not gonna kill us down the road. its just way too long and he is what he is. he is not gonna have a tim thomas year at age 37 which i think they were sorta thinking was gonna happen if you put him on our team. i do think its time for a coaching change tho. and i mean goaltending and head.
I pretty much agree with this. If we had to use the amnesty this year it would be a harder decision. But he has played well most of the season even though our defense sucks, and if we could get a competent back up goalie so we don't have to over play him next year I think he could be as good or better. At the moment there aren't going to be any good starting goal tender options right now. If you're going to trade for a goalie you do it first. Not buy him out and hope you can get someone better. There is no real need to rush buying him out this summer when you could do it next year.

whatthef is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 06:09 PM
  #397
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
he has played well most of the season even though our defense sucks, and if we could get a competent back up goalie so we don't have to over play him next year I think he could be as good or better.

At the moment there aren't going to be any good starting goal tender options right now.

If you're going to trade for a goalie you do it first. Not buy him out and hope you can get someone better.
i cannot envision anyone disagreeing with what you have said.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 06:14 PM
  #398
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
i cannot envision anyone disagreeing with what you have said.
You may want to get your vision checked, then. There are loads of perfectly rational fans, outside observers, and analysts who think Bryz has had a bad season. Again.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 06:55 PM
  #399
FlyingPhilly
Registered User
 
FlyingPhilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,317
vCash: 500
Bryz has played good this year? News to me. He has played well for some stretches, but overall the majority of his play has been bad. His entire time as a Flyer has left much to be desired. Just because he played good the first 10 or so games of this season and March of last year does not neutralize the fact that overwhelmingly Bryz has not been good.

If a young or capable goalie can be brought in then amnesty him. If not then maybe he gets another year. Either way need to get rid if his terrible contract. Let us not kid ourselves that Bryz has been good this year. He has been mediocre at best overall.

FlyingPhilly is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 07:03 PM
  #400
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Bryz has played good this year? News to me.

He has played well for some stretches, but overall the majority of his play has been bad.

He has been mediocre at best overall.
i can only conclude that you haven't actually watched the games

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.