HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|36-20-2-6|Prospects stepping up with the NHL back.

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 09:46 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

vCash: 500
Yeah, that Jesse Blacker's dumb as bricks... Zero hockey sense.... Such a long way to go before he gets a sniff

In reality, when your opinion isn't agenda driven, you can see the opposite. Good for him. It shows that the organization thinks he's at least close.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:46 AM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
I read once somewhere from someone who actually follows the Marlies closely that the system that Eakins implements basically means that we won't ever see any of our forwards have any amazing years statistically. While it may not be good for the individual, it's great for the team. And that's what really matters.

But for everyone complaining about the lack of offense from players like Ashton, D'amigo, Abbott, and Colborne (over the year), etc, he was basically saying that put those players on any other team and you could basically add another 15 points to their point total. I forgot where I read that and I haven't seen too many Marlies games but it wouldn't entirely surprise me.

Look at the stats of Keith Aucoin and Tim Connolly compared to where they would normally be at and how Kadri has played in the NHL. Really wouldn't surprise me to see D'amigo as a 60 point AHL player on another team or Colborne as an 80 point one, etc.

And I'm not at all saying that this is bad for the players. Just that stats aren't everything. From everything I've read Ashton for instance has been great for the Marlies all year.
D'amigo at his highest ceiling would be a Marchand style player without the extra curriculars. He needs to work on his balance and puck control. He is knocked off the puck way too easily at the moment. Right now he is an excellent penalty killer that will bring offensively some nights. If he can work on his core strength and ability to protect the puck, he will be an everyday NHL'er.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:50 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Yeah, that Jesse Blacker's dumb as bricks... Zero hockey sense.... Such a long way to go before he gets a sniff

In reality, when your opinion isn't agenda driven, you can see the opposite. Good for him. It shows that the organization thinks he's at least close.
Holzer had his chance, now Blacker who's next in line will get a good look from Carlyle. It's a nice chance for Blacker to show what he's got.

He's had his ups and downs in the AHL but has been really solid since the NHL lockout ended. He went from the bottom pairing to top minutes on both the PK and PP.

If he does slot into the lineup, I do hope he plays a simpler game. He does tend to get carried away going for a hit, pinching at the blueline or forcing a pass.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:51 AM
G51 K81*

Quote:

I see the bias.

He is a classic case of having all the tools but no toolbox. At least over the last 20 or so Marlies games I have watched this year, he is never a standout offensively, and he is a giveaway machine when he faces any sort of pressure.

Blacker needs time still.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:06 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I agree. But this is a reward for his improvement, which has been noticeable.

He may take another year, or he may come to camp ready, but we know he's getting there.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Blacker is a beauty, I question his drive but he's a good kid and has all the time in the world. It's best we give him time like we are doing with Colborne. I honestly think the world of that guy compared to blacker. Be a second, first or a third line center guy, he's a guy who'll pick you up when the chips are down and things are gone. It's damn good we are being calm with our boys and not taking the route of Jackets or oilers.

03-25-2013, 10:13 AM
G51 K81*

And if anyone has the tools to get there, it is Blacker

Once everything clicks in for him he should be able to make the jump. He's big, physical, has a good shot, good passer without pressure. Could be next training camp.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:18 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Jesse is one of the most driven guys you'll meet. The kid eat, sleeps, and breathes the game.

He also has a hell of a head on his shoulders. Reminds me a lot of Luke Schenn in that regard. The kind who will be a face in your community.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Jesse is one of the most driven guys you'll meet. The kid eat, sleeps, and breathes the game.

He also has a hell of a head on his shoulders. Reminds me a lot of Luke Schenn in that regard. The kind who will be a face in your community.
We definitely have good character kids and that makes me proud as a fan and a follower of this team. Maybe that's just me though Sometimes Blacker seems a bit shy from the way he speaks to the interview though lol. Must be the news media.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:23 AM
caribouPINE

Question for those who watch/follow the Marlies closer than I do.

Has Tim Connolly been THAT bad? 21 games, 5 goals, 5 assists, -2 looks pretty poor for an "NHL caliber" center. Especially one thats been a top 6 center for a number of years.

Not to mention didnt he start with something like 4 goals in 5 games?

Anyways, just seeing whats up next in his career. Could be be close to done as an NHL regular? (I definitely see a team signing him to a 1 yr, $1M type of deal this summer though).

Old
03-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Question for those who watch/follow the Marlies closer than I do.

Has Tim Connolly been THAT bad? 21 games, 5 goals, 5 assists, -2 looks pretty poor for an "NHL caliber" center. Especially one thats been a top 6 center for a number of years.

Not to mention didnt he start with something like 4 goals in 5 games?

Anyways, just seeing whats up next in his career. Could be be close to done as an NHL regular? (I definitely see a team signing him to a 1 yr, $1M type of deal this summer though).
I think it more has to do with he doesn't have skillful linemates IMO. Sort of how Kadri had to deal with him and Lambo when he was called up and was in the third line.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Interactif

Kevin Marshall is +10 and has 4 pts in 6 GP since joining the Marlies, he may be the shortlist of call ups if he continues his play, and he only turned 24 years old a few weeks ago.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:02 PM
buntek

D'Amigo reminds me of Dom Moore

Old
03-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntek View Post
D'Amigo reminds me of Dom Moore
I don't see it much but we can hope he returns to us in such manner. Any prospect who was picked turning out to be Dom Moore would be a success. He's a good kid for sure.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Oh, and as a former Marlies season ticket holder I've seen plenty of "full games". Keep your macho-scout-wannabeism for someone else.
Why? Because you've cornered the market in that regard? There's a reason why you just got fired.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:30 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Kevin Marshall is +10 and has 4 pts in 6 GP since joining the Marlies, he may be the shortlist of call ups if he continues his play, and he only turned 24 years old a few weeks ago.
He's been really solid since joining the club. Really just a simple game that you appreciate because it brings a nice calming influence to the back end.

03-25-2013, 10:20 PM
hockeywiz542

Hey guys,

Here is a short video clip from the YTV show That's So Weird involving some Toronto Marlies players. This video clip was taped in 2011.

http://thatssoweird.ytv.com/videos/u...all/page_num/0

Quote:
Kayla Meets The Marlies

Posted: Oct 20, 2011

Old
03-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
That's great!

Just wanted to add with the whole 24 years old thing in case people were thinking that's old. Holzer turned 25 a little over a month ago and this was the first time he saw NHL action. Kostka was 27 to start the season. Fraser didn't play in the NHL until he was 23 and even then he has been in and out of the NHL until this season where he has solidified himself. Gunnar didn't make the NHL until 23. My point being 24 is not to old to call a defenseman a bust by any means. I haven't seen Marshall play yet but it appears that he still has a pretty good chance of one day making the NHL.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:52 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
That's great!

Just wanted to add with the whole 24 years old thing in case people were thinking that's old. Holzer turned 25 a little over a month ago and this was the first time he saw NHL action. Kostka was 27 to start the season. Fraser didn't play in the NHL until he was 23 and even then he has been in and out of the NHL until this season where he has solidified himself. Gunnar didn't make the NHL until 23. My point being 24 is not to old to call a defenseman a bust by any means. I haven't seen Marshall play yet but it appears that he still has a pretty good chance of one day making the NHL.
D-men tend to develop a little later. Goaltenders are the longest, which is why it never hurts to take a goalie with a late rounder(Not sure why we havent done this in a while)

It's the forwards that worry me when they hit the early 20's, if you aren't showing progress by around 22-23(Kadri for example just needed to be given a chance) you're usually a bust unless you're a bottom 6 type of guy.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
D-men tend to develop a little later. Goaltenders are the longest, which is why it never hurts to take a goalie with a late rounder(Not sure why we havent done this in a while)

It's the forwards that worry me when they hit the early 20's, if you aren't showing progress by around 22-23(Kadri for example just needed to be given a chance) you're usually a bust unless you're a bottom 6 type of guy.
Yeah with goalies you never know. Never hurts to take one late, I agree. We took Sparks 190th overall in 2011. In 2010-2011, Sparks only played in 19 games with a .890 sv% and a gaa of 3.64. Fast forward two years, he was one of the best goalies in the OHL this past season, top 5 in pretty much every goalie stat, sv%, gaa, saves, wins, shootouts, minutes played, games started and shutouts. He still has work to do, but he is heading in the right direction for sure.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:21 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Sounds like the Blacker today is nothing like the Blacker during the lock-out.

He was mistake prone and slow.

Progress.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
03-26-2013, 12:23 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Sounds like the Blacker today is nothing like the Blacker during the lock-out.

He was mistake prone and slow.

Progress.

he still has some things he needs to work on
but he has shown good steps in last couple months or soo
deserves a game or two with big club

Old
03-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
That's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
He's been really solid since joining the club. Really just a simple game that you appreciate because it brings a nice calming influence to the back end.
I'm very high on Marshall, he was once Philly's one or two top defensive prospects when Mike Richards was traded, he's not going to wow you in terms of flash, but as a competitive player that plays safe mins, he will be a nice addition. As a side note, I can see Gunnar being moved, so Marshall can move in. He's recently turned 24 and he should be ready next year. I think he can play now with the big clube but he will have to earn his chance as Fraser did. Loved the move when I first heard about it, losing Deschamps was acceptable, wasn't too impressed with him this year.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:57 PM
leafers

Quote:
I'm very high on Marshall, he was once Philly's one or two top defensive prospects when Mike Richards was traded, he's not going to wow you in terms of flash, but as a competitive player that plays safe mins, he will be a nice addition. As a side note, I can see Gunnar being moved, so Marshall can move in. He's recently turned 24 and he should be ready next year. I think he can play now with the big club but he will have to earn his chance as Fraser did. Loved the move when I first heard about it, losing Deschamps was acceptable, wasn't too impressed with him this year.
Moving Gunnarsson won't be beneficial unless it's too good an offer to turn down. We need a veteran (veteran by Leafs blueline standard) d-man moving forward who gives you solid and safe minutes.

He has been battling injury this season, but we know what he is capable of when 100%.
Replacing him with Marshall won't do our blueline any good.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Hopefully turns out to be another Mark Fraser.

Closed Thread