HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings XI - Winter... I mean...Deadline approaching

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 03:56 AM
Center Ice Scrum

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif16 View Post
If steve ott is available.....would you guys want him?
I'm pretty sure there is some bad blood between Phaneuf and Ott. I don't think they would work well on the same team. Same with Horton and Phaneuf. Just not a good fit in the locker room.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:21 AM
416Leafer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...is-heating-up/.

Quote:
A more likely trade for Calgary could be goalie Miikka Kiprusoff. Very attractive with one year left at a salary of $1.5 million. He still has game, although he’s not the stand-on-his-head player he’s been in the past. There are some cracks showing up (it happens when you play 70 games a year in the regular season), but why wouldn’t the Leafs deal for Kiprusoff, who’s 36? Ed Belfour worked there in his declining NHL years. Or Tampa Bay, with Anders Lindback out (high ankle sprain); the Lightning did fine with Dwayne Roloson.

Im sure most Leaf fans would love to get a veteran like Kipper to help stabilize goaltending and give Reimer a mentor for a couple of years.

But the price simply does not make sense. Kipper isnt gonna go for a mid round pick. I think theyll want our 1st, which in this draft, we cannot move, especially for a guy who can only somewhat help us for maybe 2 years. I think best case scenario, he would cost a 2nd + prospect of Biggs/Percy/Finns calibre.

again, not a price Id be willing to pay for 2 years of declining goaltending ability. He's already just an average starter.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:29 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Thank god, I don't want this overpayment of a 6.6C on the Leafs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
then who do you propose? You're good at criticizing but never offer real solutions.
I think Interactif has mostly proposed patience... To be clear, a lack of patience, trying to make trades for quick fixes, trading top prospects/picks, etc, are exactly the reasons why we've missed the playoffs for so long and still dont even have a particularly bright future to show for it.

Thornton is the only legitimate #1 C acquired via trade in the entire league. Richards/Carter as well if you count them, I consider them closer to 1B guys. So while I agree that Stastny would be a clear upgrade for us down the middle, i also dont think he's a legitimate #1. And his trade cost would simply be too high.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:12 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I think Interactif has mostly proposed patience... To be clear, a lack of patience, trying to make trades for quick fixes, trading top prospects/picks, etc, are exactly the reasons why we've missed the playoffs for so long and still dont even have a particularly bright future to show for it.

Thornton is the only legitimate #1 C acquired via trade in the entire league. Richards/Carter as well if you count them, I consider them closer to 1B guys. So while I agree that Stastny would be a clear upgrade for us down the middle, i also dont think he's a legitimate #1. And his trade cost would simply be too high.
Well one saving grace to Stast is his age, he is like 8 month younger then Dion.

The guy is only 27.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:24 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Well one saving grace to Stast is his age, he is like 8 month younger then Dion.

The guy is only 27.
Its a benefit but also a negative.

He's young enough, that if we did trade for him, we could have him for 8-10 years (assuming he resigns) as part of our core.

But he's also old enough for us to say that what you see is what you get. He can make some minor adjustments, maybe rebound a little to be more consistently closer to 65-70 pts, but we would essentially KNOW that we were not getting a legitimate #1 C back in the trade.

Unless his trade value is lower than I think it is, I wouldnt want to trade for him. Im assuming that one of our 1st, Gardiner, Rielly, or Kadri would have to be in the deal, which I wouldnt want to do.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:06 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Its a benefit but also a negative.

He's young enough, that if we did trade for him, we could have him for 8-10 years (assuming he resigns) as part of our core.

But he's also old enough for us to say that what you see is what you get. He can make some minor adjustments, maybe rebound a little to be more consistently closer to 65-70 pts, but we would essentially KNOW that we were not getting a legitimate #1 C back in the trade.

Unless his trade value is lower than I think it is, I wouldnt want to trade for him. Im assuming that one of our 1st, Gardiner, Rielly, or Kadri would have to be in the deal, which I wouldn't want to do.
Well for sarters I'm not suggesting that our 1rst or those players listed should be part of a package, after all he only has 1 year left on his deal.

The short deal does work in our favor, if he does not work out. He can always be moved next TD to recoup some of what we used to get him.

If he does work out, then it's up to our GM to sign him to a good contract,no?

Teams are not in the habit of trading young bona fide number 1 cs, heck, i don't even see them moving many bona fide #2s, do you?

These possible C's that might hit the UFA market are going to want money and term. The term part is what concerns me the most, what if they turn out like Conn and we are stuck with them for 5+ seasons, then what, we can't bury that cap hit anymore in the AHL.

Last edited by Faltorvo: 03-25-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old
03-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Revolt

I'd be interested in Mike Ribeiro but Washington is back in the race

Old
03-25-2013, 07:45 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I still think we should be patient and let our boys play the game unless we get a young center like Ryan Johansen/Derrick Brassrd over here. Grabo can still hold the fort while at it we can let our good center Joe Colborne play well.

03-25-2013, 09:10 AM
sokocanuck

vCash: 745
Seller's Market: Leafs could be priced out?

I really think since we aren't in a position for gearing up for a legit cup-run and considering the price paid earlier by Pittsburgh for grit and leadership, we can't afford to upgrade.
I was hoping for a veteran D (Robidas) but I'm beginning to think we might have to roll the dice with what we have.

What do you guys think>?

Old
03-25-2013, 09:13 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokocanuck View Post
I really think since we aren't in a position for gearing up for a legit cup-run and considering the price paid earlier by Pittsburgh for grit and leadership, we can't afford to upgrade.
I was hoping for a veteran D (Robidas) but I'm beginning to think we might have to roll the dice with what we have.

What do you guys think>?
Lots of thoughts here.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1383583

If they can upgrade they will.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Faltorvo

One could only hope that the return for Morrow has us priced in as sellers of our UFAs.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:35 AM
G51 K81*

Don't want Stastny, Roy or Brassard. You guys just want a shiny new player. None of those guys are better than what we already have. If they are, its marginal.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:44 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
Don't want Stastny, Roy or Brassard. You guys just want a shiny new player. None of those guys are better than what we already have. If they are, its marginal.
They would be solid upgrades over Bozak. I like him but he's not in the right role.

With that said, the price to get that upgrade probably is not worth it right now.

Leafs need to be patient with their own young players and wait for the right deal to present itself.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:45 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
One could only hope that the return for Morrow has us priced in as sellers of our UFAs.
I hope so.

A lot of us wanted Grabo sold last deadline. Now even among those that didn't want him sold, a large chunk of them are now complaining about his contract.

Same will happen with Bozak. We could get sky-high value for him right now. Or a year from now we can either sit here complaining that he walked for nothing or that we resigned him to an inflated contract.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:48 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
I hope so.

A lot of us wanted Grabo sold last deadline. Now even among those that didn't want him sold, a large chunk of them are now complaining about his contract.

Same will happen with Bozak. We could get sky-high value for him right now. Or a year from now we can either sit here complaining that he walked for nothing or that we resigned him to an inflated contract.
They won't move a pending UFA unless they have someone to move into their spot as an upgrade. This applies to both Bozak and Macarthur.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Budsfan

Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec
Just told Flames GM Jay Feaster sent an email to 29 GMs informing Anton Babchuk and Cory Sarich are available. Both have NTCs.

Cory Sarich may not cost a lot and at age 34 would bring some experience to the blueline 6'.4" rt handed D.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...vid=nhl-search

Old
03-25-2013, 09:56 AM
paulster2626
Don't Mess with me

vCash: 400
Quote:

Or, we could be sitting here satisfied that Bozak was retained for a reasonable contract length and is being paid what he should be. Where is that option??

I haven't heard a good reason why he is unlikely to remain a Toronto Maple Leaf. He seems to like it here, and who else is going to give him top-line minutes with guys like Lupul and Kessel every single game?

The Maple Leafs have been kind to Mr. Bozak - no reason for the relationship to sour.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:56 AM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
They would be solid upgrades over Bozak. I like him but he's not in the right role.

With that said, the price to get that upgrade probably is not worth it right now.

Leafs need to be patient with their own young players and wait for the right deal to present itself.
Bozak brings much more to this team than just offense though. I'd hate bring in a guy for strictly offense when Kadri is slowly establishing himself as a top line guy.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:59 AM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Fenwick>Standings

What don't you get?

In all seriousness, it doesn't take into consideration quality of scoring chances which is a much better indicator than quantity of scoring chances.

Only way to judge quality of scoring chances and how the team actually plays, is by watching the teams.

A lot of the advanced stats guys barely wacth games or understand what is happening
Actually, the "advanced stat guys" watch EVERY MINUTE of EVERY GAME, tracking things like who brings the puck into the zone versus who dumps it in, who is on the ice for ACTUAL scoring chances (and keeping tabs on both teams), and them compare that to things like Fenwick, Corsi, and such.

It's people like you who watch the games, see Mike Brown win a fight and the Leafs score 45 seconds later, think that correlation means causation, and then don't notice things like Kadri's scoring being cut in half when he's saddled with Colton Orr on his line.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:03 AM
N4Z3M LUPUL

cory sarich could work, i think.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:13 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Or there's some of us who watch, have played, and understand the game, and know that mathematical equations aren't worth the energy used to develop them.

Hockey isn't a formula. It's not cut and dry numbers. Stats geeks are just that. Watch the damn game, and stop worrying about corsi rel. i knew they would find a way to make watching hockey as lame as watching golf..

Old
03-25-2013, 10:17 AM
G51 K81*

Way too many factors or intangibles that statisticians can't quantify. Like Ernie said, if you've never played the game it's difficult to understand.

Also, Corsi is just a bunch of good and bad stats added together that may, or may not mean anything. It is so generalized that it's laughable to think people make evaluations of players on other teams that they've never seen play.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:19 AM
mohare

I hope some team offers us a kings ransom for one of our UFAs. I'm sure Jay Feaster could be bamboozled. "Hey Jay, Tyler Bozak would totally make you a playoff team... What, you are offering your 1st round pick ? Well don't know, I was hoping for more... ok ok, but you are DEFINITELY making out like a bandit with this deal..."

No need to be buyers, unless we are sellers and then flip some (but not all!) of those assets from selling to fill the holes we created.

I also think its a possibility someone could come calling about Scrivens.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:20 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I still think we should be patient and let our boys play the game unless we get a young center like Ryan Johansen/Derrick Brassrd over here. Grabo can still hold the fort while at it we can let our good center Joe Colborne play well.
The other thing is that we have two amnesties that are good till the end of next summer (if I remember correctly). We could keep Grabo for this year and next, with Kadri as the other option. If Colborne or someone else can take over next year we could easily buy Grabo out.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Beastly Bozak

Do you guys think we should still move kessel? I remember before the season everyone was talking about how kessel is a perfect #2 option on a contender and with the emergence of the king, is this the perfect situation for phil? I personally never wanted to trade him but I think giving kadri/lupul the leadership roll would really help phil succeed as the perfect #2 scoring threat (like gaborik in NY?)

Closed Thread