HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: For those with Centre Ice

Old
08-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Clumsyhab

vCash: 500
OT: For those with Centre Ice

Hey, for those with Centre Ice, is it worth it? Are there a lot of games in HD? Were there a lot of Habs games in HD? Can we really choose any games we wanna see? Videotron are offering Centre Ice for 200$ a year and I wonder if it worths it. Lemme know.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Hey, for those with Centre Ice, is it worth it? Are there a lot of games in HD? Were there a lot of Habs games in HD? Can we really choose any games we wanna see? Videotron are offering Centre Ice for 200$ a year and I wonder if it worths it. Lemme know.
Centre Ice is great. You won't be able to get every single Habs game (for some reason, a few games get missed every year. But you'll get well over 70 Habs games plus just about every other NHL game on a daily basis. The $200 is peanuts for all that hockey.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:08 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
I'll put it this way. There are too many games on Center Ice. It prevents me from having a normal social life. Every single Habs game was televised. (On Bell, they give you RDS if you get Center Ice.)

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Sshrags

not for montreal viewers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Centre Ice is great. You won't be able to get every single Habs game (for some reason, a few games get missed every year. But you'll get well over 70 Habs games plus just about every other NHL game on a daily basis. The $200 is peanuts for all that hockey.
if you live in montreal abgout 90% of the habs games are blacked out. Big waste of money if you want it just for the habs.
otherwise, you get a ton of other games.

Sshrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Clumsyhab

I thought that with Centre Ice, I was able to see some Habs games in HD from other networks. If they use RDS to broadcast Habs games, I think I'll pass. Btw, do they show any HD contents?

Old
08-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
I think they show the home team's broadcast.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 10:46 PM
bayrider

They usually show the US broadcast of Habs games even if its in Montreal, or if its on TSN (usually HD) then Center Ice will show the TSN game. Very rarely do they show RDS feeds. But as far as I know, they show every game. I remember once, a Carolina game wasnt listed in the menu, but it was still on center ice.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Clumsyhab

WHat about HD??? That's very important for me since SD s*cks on my 50" LCD.

Old
08-08-2006, 12:00 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

In Ontario, Rogers Digital Cable offers Centre Ice, Extra Innings, Sunday Ticket, whatever Nascar channels, and NBA channels all for $25/month (so $200+tax for NHL season). It also prevents me from having any social life, since fall Sundays are a complete write off, and same with Habs games nights. I'm pretty much a recluse from September until January.

Question: Is there a way to get Habs games in English (aside from HNIC)? Like is there a channel that does commentary in English? Or do I have to learn to listen in French?

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 12:16 AM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

Centre Ice is awesome, I love it.

All the games are in english too, its good for me because I don't know french.

I watched a lot of games last year, you get pretty much every one, it is awesome.

It is very much worth 200$, I only pay $125 though, it is pretty sick.

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I think they show the home team's broadcast.
They normally show the English-speaking broadcast, whenever possible. Center Ice is fantastic, too bad it's $200 for you... Rogers offers it for like $129.

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:39 AM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
This year there will be a few games shown in HD. I have no idea if they will be Habs games or not. But like everyone here is saying, if you're getting it for the Habs - don't bother.

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 02:18 AM
bayrider

Quote:
It strictly depends on whether the station is in HD. RDS isn't, some TSN broadcasts are, and when TSN shows a Habs game, most likely Center Ice will show it too.

Even if your digital cable or satelite provider is a "digital" signal, it doesn't mean the game will be broadcast in HD anyways. Don't get your hopes up for HD, hardly anyone has it.

Most of the games I find are on FSN (Fox Sports Net), MSG, TSN or Comcast. Rarely you will find an RDS game, maybe 10 Habs games a season. I might be wrong, but I think some Comcast games may be HD, but I doubt it.

BTW, I just bought a 50" plasma too; Panasonic, with digital satelite and digital reciever. Can't wait for those HD games

Center Ice is damn well worth it. Especially when theres nothing on. You can always find a half decent game to watch

Old
08-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Habber

I think maybe HD depends on your provider. I was told that Center Ice on Expressvu has two HD channels. (Just got my HD/PVR reciever and am pumped for hockey this year)

I've had non-HD Center Ice for a while and it most definately worth it. I enjoy watching the other teams feed for Habs games. The announcers are very knowledgable about the team they cover, maybe not so much about the Habs but who cares, I already know tons about the Habs. I like to learn about other teams in the league, who's playing well/poorly etc.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 09:27 AM
GoHabsGO252006

It all depends on region. I"m in Kingston and I get every Hab game on center ice because I'm outside the normal viewing area. It is great, but in all honesty if I could get RDS to see each game I probably would. I only remember once last year they picked up the RDS feed every other time it was the other teams coverage. That can be really annoying when playing the likes of Florida and Tampa Bay.

I will be getting it again this year. For those on Cogeco you know that they force you to sign up for the sports package 26 bucks a month butyou get, Center Ice, Sunday Ticket, Extra Innings and NCAA bball and Football. I love it.

I do agree that it has had an adverse impact on my social life.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
I enjoy watching the other teams feed for Habs games. The announcers are very knowledgable about the team they cover, maybe not so much about the Habs but who cares, I already know tons about the Habs. I like to learn about other teams in the league, who's playing well/poorly etc.
Good point. It's nice to have an exterior point of view other than Pednault's or McGuire's when watching an other team play.

I almost cried when I learned Videotron was going to FINALLY wake the hell up and bring a Center Ice package to their programmation. I guess they got tired of losing clients to Bell Express Vu for their Center Ice package. I'm definitelly ordering it this year. No more watching 5 min. tidbits on NHL Network, now I'm finally completing the last step in my total isolation from the outside world.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 10:48 AM
bayrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
I think maybe HD depends on your provider. I was told that Center Ice on Expressvu has two HD channels. (Just got my HD/PVR reciever and am pumped for hockey this year)

I've had non-HD Center Ice for a while and it most definately worth it. I enjoy watching the other teams feed for Habs games. The announcers are very knowledgable about the team they cover, maybe not so much about the Habs but who cares, I already know tons about the Habs. I like to learn about other teams in the league, who's playing well/poorly etc.
Most providers generally support HD, but that doesnt mean the stations themselves are HD. For example, Bell ExpressVu might be HD service, but regardless, RDS isn't HD. And from what I've read, they dont plan on going HD for a while. TSN on the other hand does show some or most games in HD now.

Old
08-08-2006, 10:57 AM
GoodKiwi

How many Center Ice channels do you get?
I used be in with Dish Network(living in the US) and had 5 or more Center Ice channels, so that I could choose if there were concurrent games on.

How does it work with Videotron/BEV?

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I had Center Ice last year for the first time and it was awesome. For me at least, we got every single Habs game. Rogers is good because you get something called the Sports Pack, which also gives you Sunday Ticket (every NFL game) and Extra Innings (every MLB game). IMO it's well worth the money.

As already mentioned, the feed will 95% of the time be the english feed.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 11:25 AM
bayrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
How many Center Ice channels do you get?
I used be in with Dish Network(living in the US) and had 5 or more Center Ice channels, so that I could choose if there were concurrent games on.

How does it work with Videotron/BEV?
There are as many Center Ice channels as their are games that day.

Old
08-08-2006, 12:14 PM
33Roy33

Living in Newfoundland, I would not be able to go without Center Ice. Although we get just about every Habs game on RDS, I would much rather watch in English, seeing my French skills are not the greatest. I think that given for the whole first half of the year I get every NFL game as well, I think teh Ultimate Sportspack is well worth the $26.99 a month I pay. What is a dollar a day to watch the Habs play everygame

33Roy33 is offline   Reply With Quote