HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs on Tradecentre Part 3 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2013, 07:40 AM
  #326
FXBrassard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Think with your head a little bit. Why would we trade our best winger since his aquisition for a propsect and a pick? Why would the 2nd team in the East do that? The goal is not to have the greatest prospects pool, the goal is to win the ****in Stanley Cup.
This is exactly why. The goal is to win Stanley Cups. We do not have the roster to do that right now, except if we are extremely lucky. What are the odds that this team win a best of 7 against Pittsburgh, Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago? Extremely low. We'll likely have to beat 3 of these teams to win the cups.

We have a great young core in place to be able to compete with these teams in the future, if our assets are managed properly. Chances are Ryder is gone for nothing at the end of the year.

FXBrassard is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 07:47 AM
  #327
shawdowmaker
Registered User
 
shawdowmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 665
vCash: 500
Who cares what we do at this point. Pitt got B. Morrow WOWW not sure how we top that. In my opinion Ryder was a bad move. We are small and soft now and you'd better believe that it's caching up to us...Cole was just what we needed. I would also add a veteran establish D man. Oh well

shawdowmaker is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 07:56 AM
  #328
loadie
Official Beer Taster
 
loadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
So... what # will Jared Boll wear in Montreal?
Gee, that would be nice. Boll is someone I would really want.

__________________

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 08:18 AM
  #329
JusticeBeaver
Twitter: @gar****al
 
JusticeBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Charlottetown
Country: Canada
Posts: 980
vCash: 500
lol.

Cole trade was a salary dump. People seem to forget that the goal is to create an established team within the organization. Most good teams have done that. They have drafted and developed young guys at different positions that have made them contenders and that looks to be MB's gameplan. I'm sorry but the habs are not shipping off any prospect to get a rental for a couple of months. I think the team today is what you are getting for the remainder of the season.

This lineup is good when healthy, and the habs are still playing good hockey. Prust and Bourque are what this team needs I'm telling you. Bourque's setback is a little concerning, but if that means he is more fresh for the playoffs, I'm okay with that. If not, well, that's a loss we will have to deal with. For now....

No worries, be happy.

JusticeBeaver is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 08:21 AM
  #330
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawdowmaker View Post
Who cares what we do at this point. Pitt got B. Morrow WOWW not sure how we top that. In my opinion Ryder was a bad move. We are small and soft now and you'd better believe that it's caching up to us...Cole was just what we needed. I would also add a veteran establish D man. Oh well
Did you watch Erik "I have less PPG's than Martin Brodeur" Cole play this year?

Ryder has a bunch more points, and has helped us win. Cole on the other hand is semi-retired.

Dr Gonzo is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 08:32 AM
  #331
Nedved
Registered User
 
Nedved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawdowmaker View Post
Who cares what we do at this point. Pitt got B. Morrow WOWW not sure how we top that. In my opinion Ryder was a bad move. We are small and soft now and you'd better believe that it's caching up to us...Cole was just what we needed. I would also add a veteran establish D man. Oh well
I'm someone that agrees with you because I think he can be more than his points (creates space/draws penalties/hit a lot of posts).

At the same time though, Ryder hasn't been terrible and hopefully he's not signed past this year. Not sure who will be available, but I want another winger in the shape of gallagher, pacioretty, bourque, prust.

Cole would really look nice next to galchenyuk and eller come playoff time but who knows, perhaps ryder becomes our cammy this playoffs.

Nedved is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 08:34 AM
  #332
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,455
vCash: 500
Awards:
Wow, hadn't been following Cole's stats much since the trade. 2 points with Dallas, 8 points total on the year.

I was on the fence about that trade but right now Bergevin is looking like a ****ing genius for getting out of that contract while he could.

hototogisu is online now  
Old
03-25-2013, 08:48 AM
  #333
MM425
Registered User
 
MM425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawdowmaker View Post
Who cares what we do at this point. Pitt got B. Morrow WOWW not sure how we top that. In my opinion Ryder was a bad move. We are small and soft now and you'd better believe that it's caching up to us...Cole was just what we needed. I would also add a veteran establish D man. Oh well
Cole is a good player but he's also 34 years old and undeniably peaked last season and has been dreadful this season so far.

I'm shocked how anybody could take that trade as anything but a stroke of genius for Bergevin.

And lets not throw ourselves over the bridge because PITT got Brendan Morrow.

I think Morrow is a solid player still, don't get me wrong but the guy has been totally worn down by injuries to what seems like every part of his body. He's not the same player he was 3-4 years ago.

MM425 is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 08:52 AM
  #334
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 2,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
Gee, that would be nice. Boll is someone I would really want.
I would love Boll in Montreal but if Diaz and Bourque are out for the rest of the season, he would not be my #1 short terms priority.

Assuming a healthy line up, Boll would greatly help a guy like Prust.

EDIT:

I think our Habs did send scouts to Columbus recently... am I right?

Kjell Dahlin is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 09:14 AM
  #335
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawdowmaker View Post
Who cares what we do at this point. Pitt got B. Morrow WOWW not sure how we top that. In my opinion Ryder was a bad move. We are small and soft now and you'd better believe that it's caching up to us...Cole was just what we needed. I would also add a veteran establish D man. Oh well
Are you serious? Honestly, are you? If you are, that's probably the dumbest thing I've heard all year.

Cole has been ass for Dallas and was total ass for us this year. Ryder leads the team in points and has been scoring at a ppg for 11 games. Cole has 2 freaking points with Dallas!

What planet do you come from where Ryder and a pick for Cole is a bad deal? That's been the steal of the NHL so far this year but a long shot.

You need to get a clue.

shutehinside is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 09:18 AM
  #336
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,655
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
I'm someone that agrees with you because I think he can be more than his points (creates space/draws penalties/hit a lot of posts).

At the same time though, Ryder hasn't been terrible and hopefully he's not signed past this year. Not sure who will be available, but I want another winger in the shape of gallagher, pacioretty, bourque, prust.

Cole would really look nice next to galchenyuk and eller come playoff time but who knows, perhaps ryder becomes our cammy this playoffs.
Ya that's something you want from a goal scorer...

beowulf is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 09:30 AM
  #337
Pax Macioretty
Registered User
 
Pax Macioretty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 15,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawdowmaker View Post
Who cares what we do at this point. Pitt got B. Morrow WOWW not sure how we top that. In my opinion Ryder was a bad move. We are small and soft now and you'd better believe that it's caching up to us...Cole was just what we needed. I would also add a veteran establish D man. Oh well
So. Much. Fail.

Pax Macioretty is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 09:34 AM
  #338
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
I'm someone that agrees with you because I think he can be more than his points (creates space/draws penalties/hit a lot of posts).

At the same time though, Ryder hasn't been terrible and hopefully he's not signed past this year. Not sure who will be available, but I want another winger in the shape of gallagher, pacioretty, bourque, prust.

Cole would really look nice next to galchenyuk and eller come playoff time but who knows, perhaps ryder becomes our cammy this playoffs.
Yeah, why would Montreal want to sign back their leading scorer.

You list 4 players that aren't in any way similar , making your point meaningless and confirming suspicions this is a cover for not liking Ryder.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 09:43 AM
  #339
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,552
vCash: 500
Ryder trade is working out even better than I expected. Not really on the Ryder side, he has been about what I expected. But I really thought Cole was on the cusp of a rebound, he seemed to me to be doing a little more of the stuff that led to his 2nd half breakout last year, and I thought that might be coming again in Dallas. But it sure hasn't. Good trade looks even better now.

On the Morrow front, I think I'd rather have seen Boston trade for him. Pittsburgh has so many defense prospects it hardly hurts them to send one of the horde for an extra player. But I don't know that Boston's prospect cupboard is quite so full, and I'd have been happier to see them dip into it to rent this older, diminished, injury-prone depth player. Loved Morrow in his prime, but I can't see him really making much difference to those already-powerhouse teams. I sure hope the Habs aren't going to play that buyer role in any trades. (And I'm reasonably confident they won't).

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 09:50 AM
  #340
redwhitenblue
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Habs are playing awesome, I see no need to burn any major assets on a rental.

With that said we desperatly need to get tougher. A lot of fans will agree with this but I think they're missing the big picture. Boll, Stoner, Sessito, etc are all tough guys but they don't phase the Orr's, thornton's, Scott's, lucic's. We get one of those half assed tough players only to get walloped by the legit heavy's of the division and loose even more momentum. Go big or not at all.

NYI- MTL- Carkner for a late round pick or fringe prospect

CAL- MTL- Mcgrattan for a late round pick or fringe prospect


Carkner as a 7th d for tough games and when injuries hit. Same for Grats as a fourth liner.

These guys are legit and DO THEIR JOB. Remember when Lucic was scared ****less of BGL? Haha trust me Grats won't hesitate to jump him if he gets out line. Plus we hang onto our plethora of higher picks in an awesome draft year.


Cheers

redwhitenblue is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 09:57 AM
  #341
M.C.G. 31
Demon
 
M.C.G. 31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Greece
Posts: 47,742
vCash: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Wow, hadn't been following Cole's stats much since the trade. 2 points with Dallas, 8 points total on the year.

I was on the fence about that trade but right now Bergevin is looking like a ****ing genius for getting out of that contract while he could.
Amazing that WE also got the 3rd round pick in that deal too.

__________________

"It's going to be great. I can't wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can't wait to take that all away from them." - PK Subban
He has physical charisma. When he talks he sounds like a gps device in a car. "In 500 feet, belie dat!" - NewAgeOutlaw
M.C.G. 31 is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:23 AM
  #342
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Ryder trade is working out even better than I expected. Not really on the Ryder side, he has been about what I expected. But I really thought Cole was on the cusp of a rebound, he seemed to me to be doing a little more of the stuff that led to his 2nd half breakout last year, and I thought that might be coming again in Dallas. But it sure hasn't. Good trade looks even better now.

On the Morrow front, I think I'd rather have seen Boston trade for him. Pittsburgh has so many defense prospects it hardly hurts them to send one of the horde for an extra player. But I don't know that Boston's prospect cupboard is quite so full, and I'd have been happier to see them dip into it to rent this older, diminished, injury-prone depth player. Loved Morrow in his prime, but I can't see him really making much difference to those already-powerhouse teams. I sure hope the Habs aren't going to play that buyer role in any trades. (And I'm reasonably confident they won't).
Agreed. The Habs are in tough against the talent of Pittsburgh or Boston with or without a Morrow or any rental player for that matter. Without something unforeseen like a Halakian type wonderperformance the season should by all rights come to an end once we meet one of those teams as a post season opponent.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:24 AM
  #343
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habsfannick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 2,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhitenblue View Post
Habs are playing awesome, I see no need to burn any major assets on a rental.

With that said we desperatly need to get tougher. A lot of fans will agree with this but I think they're missing the big picture. Boll, Stoner, Sessito, etc are all tough guys but they don't phase the Orr's, thornton's, Scott's, lucic's. We get one of those half assed tough players only to get walloped by the legit heavy's of the division and loose even more momentum. Go big or not at all.

NYI- MTL- Carkner for a late round pick or fringe prospect

CAL- MTL- Mcgrattan for a late round pick or fringe prospect


Carkner as a 7th d for tough games and when injuries hit. Same for Grats as a fourth liner.

These guys are legit and DO THEIR JOB. Remember when Lucic was scared ****less of BGL? Haha trust me Grats won't hesitate to jump him if he gets out line. Plus we hang onto our plethora of higher picks in an awesome draft year.


Cheers
I agree plus they add depth would be great for this team

Habsfannick is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:27 AM
  #344
FXBrassard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Agreed. The Habs are in tough against the talent of Pittsburgh or Boston with or without a Morrow or any rental player for that matter. Without something unforeseen like a Halakian type wonderperformance the season should by all rights come to an end once we meet one of those teams as a post season opponent.
This is why we should take advantage of the buyers market and fully maximize our assets by being sellers at the deadline. The value we could get for Ryder or Gionta right now is at a all-time high.

FXBrassard is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:27 AM
  #345
The Doors
Registered User
 
The Doors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,704
vCash: 500
If Bourque has lingering concussion issues what about a LW for Plekanec in Vinny Prospal.. cheap veteran depth from CBJ and he's still producing, great underrated player maybe not the physical beast the team needs but he's not small and it would be nice to have a playmaker on Pleks line, maybe Ryder on the RW. Then a playoff shutdown line of Prust - Eller - Gionta.

I think SJ is gonna pull a Gaustaud and hope someone gives them a 1st for Clowe... I doubt MB does that

The Doors is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:31 AM
  #346
The Doors
Registered User
 
The Doors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXBrassard View Post
This is why we should take advantage of the buyers market and fully maximize our assets by being sellers at the deadline. The value we could get for Ryder or Gionta right now is at a all-time high.
Normally I'd agree with you, but come on man this team needs to live a little... the opportunity is there to bust through the Eastern Conf this season, no need to mess with that chance.. need to walk the fine line of being aggressive but not mortgaging the future

The depth pickups that people are suggesting in this thread are all good ideas, they need 14 reliable F deep and 8 or 9 steady D deep and if the Bergevin and Co. can do it for a couple of middle of the road prospects or late picks, 100% go for it.

The Doors is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 10:54 AM
  #347
MM425
Registered User
 
MM425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,666
vCash: 500
If Jagr can be had for a reasonable price than I'd love to see them pull off that trade.

Low risk, high reward.

Adds size to the top-6 and with the way Therrien spreads the ice time around with the forwards, and the Pleckanec connection, I think he could be a good fit for the playoffs.

MM425 is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:02 AM
  #348
Hemlor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 742
vCash: 500
is Cory Sarich at all valuable for depth/toughness? I have not watched Flames enough to have an informed opinion, but apparently he may be available. I generally don't like to give up assets (even picks) for 'depth' players unless they can actually contribute, but if he does provide grit and some crease-clearing ability, and could be had for cheap, then maybe. Anyone informed have opinions?

Hemlor is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:03 AM
  #349
Habcentric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXBrassard View Post
This is exactly why. The goal is to win Stanley Cups. We do not have the roster to do that right now, except if we are extremely lucky. What are the odds that this team win a best of 7 against Pittsburgh, Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago? Extremely low. We'll likely have to beat 3 of these teams to win the cups.

We have a great young core in place to be able to compete with these teams in the future, if our assets are managed properly. Chances are Ryder is gone for nothing at the end of the year.
You never go into the playoffs with a defeatist attitude. And that " we dont have the size to compete " is utter BS. 3 years ago everyone said, Caps in 4, and we beat them. Then they said Pitts in 4, and we beat them. If its so sure you cant win the cup, then why even try for the playoffs? We might as well tanked for a better pick.

Habcentric is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:07 AM
  #350
FXBrassard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Yeah, the counter-argument obviously makes a lot of sense and I'm kind of on the fence as to what to think. The value Dallas got for Morrow yesterday just got me very excited.

FXBrassard is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.