HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs on Tradecentre Part 3 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?)

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 07:40 AM
FXBrassard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Think with your head a little bit. Why would we trade our best winger since his aquisition for a propsect and a pick? Why would the 2nd team in the East do that? The goal is not to have the greatest prospects pool, the goal is to win the ****in Stanley Cup.
This is exactly why. The goal is to win Stanley Cups. We do not have the roster to do that right now, except if we are extremely lucky. What are the odds that this team win a best of 7 against Pittsburgh, Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago? Extremely low. We'll likely have to beat 3 of these teams to win the cups.

We have a great young core in place to be able to compete with these teams in the future, if our assets are managed properly. Chances are Ryder is gone for nothing at the end of the year.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:47 AM
shawdowmaker

Who cares what we do at this point. Pitt got B. Morrow WOWW not sure how we top that. In my opinion Ryder was a bad move. We are small and soft now and you'd better believe that it's caching up to us...Cole was just what we needed. I would also add a veteran establish D man. Oh well

Old
03-25-2013, 07:56 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
So... what # will Jared Boll wear in Montreal?
Gee, that would be nice. Boll is someone I would really want.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
Old
03-25-2013, 08:18 AM
JusticeBeaver
Twitter: @gar****al

lol.

Cole trade was a salary dump. People seem to forget that the goal is to create an established team within the organization. Most good teams have done that. They have drafted and developed young guys at different positions that have made them contenders and that looks to be MB's gameplan. I'm sorry but the habs are not shipping off any prospect to get a rental for a couple of months. I think the team today is what you are getting for the remainder of the season.

This lineup is good when healthy, and the habs are still playing good hockey. Prust and Bourque are what this team needs I'm telling you. Bourque's setback is a little concerning, but if that means he is more fresh for the playoffs, I'm okay with that. If not, well, that's a loss we will have to deal with. For now....

No worries, be happy.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawdowmaker View Post
Who cares what we do at this point. Pitt got B. Morrow WOWW not sure how we top that. In my opinion Ryder was a bad move. We are small and soft now and you'd better believe that it's caching up to us...Cole was just what we needed. I would also add a veteran establish D man. Oh well
Did you watch Erik "I have less PPG's than Martin Brodeur" Cole play this year?

Ryder has a bunch more points, and has helped us win. Cole on the other hand is semi-retired.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Nedved

Quote:
I'm someone that agrees with you because I think he can be more than his points (creates space/draws penalties/hit a lot of posts).

At the same time though, Ryder hasn't been terrible and hopefully he's not signed past this year. Not sure who will be available, but I want another winger in the shape of gallagher, pacioretty, bourque, prust.

Cole would really look nice next to galchenyuk and eller come playoff time but who knows, perhaps ryder becomes our cammy this playoffs.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:34 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Wow, hadn't been following Cole's stats much since the trade. 2 points with Dallas, 8 points total on the year.

I was on the fence about that trade but right now Bergevin is looking like a ****ing genius for getting out of that contract while he could.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:48 AM
MM425

Quote:
Cole is a good player but he's also 34 years old and undeniably peaked last season and has been dreadful this season so far.

I'm shocked how anybody could take that trade as anything but a stroke of genius for Bergevin.

And lets not throw ourselves over the bridge because PITT got Brendan Morrow.

I think Morrow is a solid player still, don't get me wrong but the guy has been totally worn down by injuries to what seems like every part of his body. He's not the same player he was 3-4 years ago.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
Gee, that would be nice. Boll is someone I would really want.
I would love Boll in Montreal but if Diaz and Bourque are out for the rest of the season, he would not be my #1 short terms priority.

Assuming a healthy line up, Boll would greatly help a guy like Prust.

EDIT:

I think our Habs did send scouts to Columbus recently... am I right?

Old
03-25-2013, 09:14 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Are you serious? Honestly, are you? If you are, that's probably the dumbest thing I've heard all year.

Cole has been ass for Dallas and was total ass for us this year. Ryder leads the team in points and has been scoring at a ppg for 11 games. Cole has 2 freaking points with Dallas!

What planet do you come from where Ryder and a pick for Cole is a bad deal? That's been the steal of the NHL so far this year but a long shot.

You need to get a clue.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:18 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
I'm someone that agrees with you because I think he can be more than his points (creates space/draws penalties/hit a lot of posts).

At the same time though, Ryder hasn't been terrible and hopefully he's not signed past this year. Not sure who will be available, but I want another winger in the shape of gallagher, pacioretty, bourque, prust.

Cole would really look nice next to galchenyuk and eller come playoff time but who knows, perhaps ryder becomes our cammy this playoffs.
Ya that's something you want from a goal scorer...

Old
03-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
So. Much. Fail.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post

Yeah, why would Montreal want to sign back their leading scorer.

You list 4 players that aren't in any way similar , making your point meaningless and confirming suspicions this is a cover for not liking Ryder.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Ryder trade is working out even better than I expected. Not really on the Ryder side, he has been about what I expected. But I really thought Cole was on the cusp of a rebound, he seemed to me to be doing a little more of the stuff that led to his 2nd half breakout last year, and I thought that might be coming again in Dallas. But it sure hasn't. Good trade looks even better now.

On the Morrow front, I think I'd rather have seen Boston trade for him. Pittsburgh has so many defense prospects it hardly hurts them to send one of the horde for an extra player. But I don't know that Boston's prospect cupboard is quite so full, and I'd have been happier to see them dip into it to rent this older, diminished, injury-prone depth player. Loved Morrow in his prime, but I can't see him really making much difference to those already-powerhouse teams. I sure hope the Habs aren't going to play that buyer role in any trades. (And I'm reasonably confident they won't).

Old
03-25-2013, 09:50 AM
redwhitenblue
Rookie User

Habs are playing awesome, I see no need to burn any major assets on a rental.

With that said we desperatly need to get tougher. A lot of fans will agree with this but I think they're missing the big picture. Boll, Stoner, Sessito, etc are all tough guys but they don't phase the Orr's, thornton's, Scott's, lucic's. We get one of those half assed tough players only to get walloped by the legit heavy's of the division and loose even more momentum. Go big or not at all.

NYI- MTL- Carkner for a late round pick or fringe prospect

CAL- MTL- Mcgrattan for a late round pick or fringe prospect

Carkner as a 7th d for tough games and when injuries hit. Same for Grats as a fourth liner.

These guys are legit and DO THEIR JOB. Remember when Lucic was scared ****less of BGL? Haha trust me Grats won't hesitate to jump him if he gets out line. Plus we hang onto our plethora of higher picks in an awesome draft year.

Cheers

Old
03-25-2013, 09:57 AM
M.C.G. 31
Demon

vCash: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Wow, hadn't been following Cole's stats much since the trade. 2 points with Dallas, 8 points total on the year.

I was on the fence about that trade but right now Bergevin is looking like a ****ing genius for getting out of that contract while he could.
Amazing that WE also got the 3rd round pick in that deal too.

"It's going to be great. I can't wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can't wait to take that all away from them." - PK Subban
He has physical charisma. When he talks he sounds like a gps device in a car. "In 500 feet, belie dat!" - NewAgeOutlaw
Old
03-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Ryder trade is working out even better than I expected. Not really on the Ryder side, he has been about what I expected. But I really thought Cole was on the cusp of a rebound, he seemed to me to be doing a little more of the stuff that led to his 2nd half breakout last year, and I thought that might be coming again in Dallas. But it sure hasn't. Good trade looks even better now.

On the Morrow front, I think I'd rather have seen Boston trade for him. Pittsburgh has so many defense prospects it hardly hurts them to send one of the horde for an extra player. But I don't know that Boston's prospect cupboard is quite so full, and I'd have been happier to see them dip into it to rent this older, diminished, injury-prone depth player. Loved Morrow in his prime, but I can't see him really making much difference to those already-powerhouse teams. I sure hope the Habs aren't going to play that buyer role in any trades. (And I'm reasonably confident they won't).
Agreed. The Habs are in tough against the talent of Pittsburgh or Boston with or without a Morrow or any rental player for that matter. Without something unforeseen like a Halakian type wonderperformance the season should by all rights come to an end once we meet one of those teams as a post season opponent.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhitenblue View Post
Habs are playing awesome, I see no need to burn any major assets on a rental.

With that said we desperatly need to get tougher. A lot of fans will agree with this but I think they're missing the big picture. Boll, Stoner, Sessito, etc are all tough guys but they don't phase the Orr's, thornton's, Scott's, lucic's. We get one of those half assed tough players only to get walloped by the legit heavy's of the division and loose even more momentum. Go big or not at all.

NYI- MTL- Carkner for a late round pick or fringe prospect

CAL- MTL- Mcgrattan for a late round pick or fringe prospect

Carkner as a 7th d for tough games and when injuries hit. Same for Grats as a fourth liner.

These guys are legit and DO THEIR JOB. Remember when Lucic was scared ****less of BGL? Haha trust me Grats won't hesitate to jump him if he gets out line. Plus we hang onto our plethora of higher picks in an awesome draft year.

Cheers
I agree plus they add depth would be great for this team

Old
03-25-2013, 10:27 AM
FXBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Agreed. The Habs are in tough against the talent of Pittsburgh or Boston with or without a Morrow or any rental player for that matter. Without something unforeseen like a Halakian type wonderperformance the season should by all rights come to an end once we meet one of those teams as a post season opponent.
This is why we should take advantage of the buyers market and fully maximize our assets by being sellers at the deadline. The value we could get for Ryder or Gionta right now is at a all-time high.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:27 AM
The Doors

If Bourque has lingering concussion issues what about a LW for Plekanec in Vinny Prospal.. cheap veteran depth from CBJ and he's still producing, great underrated player maybe not the physical beast the team needs but he's not small and it would be nice to have a playmaker on Pleks line, maybe Ryder on the RW. Then a playoff shutdown line of Prust - Eller - Gionta.

I think SJ is gonna pull a Gaustaud and hope someone gives them a 1st for Clowe... I doubt MB does that

Old
03-25-2013, 10:31 AM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXBrassard View Post
This is why we should take advantage of the buyers market and fully maximize our assets by being sellers at the deadline. The value we could get for Ryder or Gionta right now is at a all-time high.
Normally I'd agree with you, but come on man this team needs to live a little... the opportunity is there to bust through the Eastern Conf this season, no need to mess with that chance.. need to walk the fine line of being aggressive but not mortgaging the future

The depth pickups that people are suggesting in this thread are all good ideas, they need 14 reliable F deep and 8 or 9 steady D deep and if the Bergevin and Co. can do it for a couple of middle of the road prospects or late picks, 100% go for it.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:54 AM
MM425

If Jagr can be had for a reasonable price than I'd love to see them pull off that trade.

Low risk, high reward.

Adds size to the top-6 and with the way Therrien spreads the ice time around with the forwards, and the Pleckanec connection, I think he could be a good fit for the playoffs.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Hemlor

is Cory Sarich at all valuable for depth/toughness? I have not watched Flames enough to have an informed opinion, but apparently he may be available. I generally don't like to give up assets (even picks) for 'depth' players unless they can actually contribute, but if he does provide grit and some crease-clearing ability, and could be had for cheap, then maybe. Anyone informed have opinions?

Old
03-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Habcentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXBrassard View Post
This is exactly why. The goal is to win Stanley Cups. We do not have the roster to do that right now, except if we are extremely lucky. What are the odds that this team win a best of 7 against Pittsburgh, Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago? Extremely low. We'll likely have to beat 3 of these teams to win the cups.

We have a great young core in place to be able to compete with these teams in the future, if our assets are managed properly. Chances are Ryder is gone for nothing at the end of the year.
You never go into the playoffs with a defeatist attitude. And that " we dont have the size to compete " is utter BS. 3 years ago everyone said, Caps in 4, and we beat them. Then they said Pitts in 4, and we beat them. If its so sure you cant win the cup, then why even try for the playoffs? We might as well tanked for a better pick.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:07 AM
FXBrassard

Yeah, the counter-argument obviously makes a lot of sense and I'm kind of on the fence as to what to think. The value Dallas got for Morrow yesterday just got me very excited.

Closed Thread