Yeti Watch 2013 - Part II (Söderberg)

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Bruinator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangley One View Post
I have said it multiple times, tried to see if anyone has any apprehensions about the guy and I haven't seen much. Every potential lineup I've been reading has soderberg plugged in on the 3rd line. Bruins have been waiting for this guy for years and now he's just gunna waltz on over and be a top 9 contributer on a SC contender? GTFO of here with that garbage, the guy has to make the biggest leap of all and get his ass across the pond before I even remotely start to think he has any potential to help this team. Who has any idea if his game will translate to NA ice or the NHL. At this point Spooner has a hell of a lot more chance to have any impact on this team than Soderberg
This is the key point. "You haven't seen much", I'd wager "AT ALL". So for all those who think he may be a key top 9 contributor, what gives you the insight to say he won't. It is quite obvious the Bruins' European scouts and management team who are paid to watch him and others game in and game out believe he can or why would the Bruins even be bothering? And do you really think that either of Pandolfo or Caron could go over and even come close to dominating the SEL? If you believe that, then you are obviously dilusional.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:16 PM
EverettMike

This is the beauty of a Yeti.

You swear you'll never believe again.....but then you do.....and then you swear you'll never believe again.....but then....

Old
03-22-2013, 03:20 PM
andersej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator View Post
It is quite obvious the Bruins' European scouts and management team who are paid to watch him and others game in and game out believe he can or why would the Bruins even be bothering?
I actually talked to a couple of Bruins scouts at the Oddset Games in Malmo back in February. One of them was Wayne Smith - I didn't catch the name of the other guy. They had a total of 5 guys in Jonkoping to watch the Under 18 tournament - where Nichushkin made his big jump up the draft rankings. They said they were in Malmo specifically to watch Soderberg and Chudinov. I asked them, but they would not say if or when either of them would cross the pond.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:23 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
This is the key point. "You haven't seen much", I'd wager "AT ALL". So for all those who think he may be a key top 9 contributor, what gives you the insight to say he won't. It is quite obvious the Bruins' European scouts and management team who are paid to watch him and others game in and game out believe he can or why would the Bruins even be bothering? And do you really think that either of Pandolfo or Caron could go over and even come close to dominating the SEL? If you believe that, then you are obviously dilusional.
Right.

Look its 2013. The best hockey player in the planet right now in 2013 who is not playing in the NHL is named Carl Soderberg and his rights are held by the Bruins until July 1.

Signing him the second his season ends and putting him on the third line over Pandawful is common sense. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't see anyone saying he's going to be better than Crosby or anything expecting the guy to be a better player than ****ing pandawful isn't being delusional.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:34 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I'm not asking you for options that may or may not work. I'm asking you specifically who you want. And at what cost? In your perfect scenario, who ends up filling the void on the 3rd line for this team?
Ideally someone like Alfredsson or Iginla, maybe even Jagr. The cost? I don't know what it would costs but as you can tell I'm more of a proven commodity guy over potential so I would be willing to part with prospects

Old
03-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Torgo

Is this the guy that directed Oceans 11 and Traffic?

Old
03-22-2013, 05:00 PM
andersej

I still don't understand though, how the Bruins can bring in Soderberg this season without him having to clear waivers... Anyone who can enlighten me?

Old
03-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersej View Post
I actually talked to a couple of Bruins scouts at the Oddset Games in Malmo back in February. One of them was Wayne Smith - I didn't catch the name of the other guy. They had a total of 5 guys in Jonkoping to watch the Under 18 tournament - where Nichushkin made his big jump up the draft rankings. They said they were in Malmo specifically to watch Soderberg and Chudinov. I asked them, but they would not say if or when either of them would cross the pond.
Thanks for the info.

These are the kind of posts that still make hfboards worthwhile to check on a daily basis.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:29 PM
vjcsmoke

Quote:
I still don't understand though, how the Bruins can bring in Soderberg this season without him having to clear waivers... Anyone who can enlighten me?
I would say it's because he's already their property. Soderberg isn't a trade acquisition the Bruins had his rights all along. The same way the Bruins don't have to put Spooner through waivers to call him up from Providence. I think that applies to Soderberg in this case.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:34 PM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Ideally someone like Alfredsson or Iginla, maybe even Jagr. The cost? I don't know what it would costs but as you can tell I'm more of a proven commodity guy over potential so I would be willing to part with prospects
Why do people think that the Sens are going to make Alfredsson available when they are in the thick of the playoff race, despite all their injuries? Even more so, why would they deal AA to a team in their division?

People use your heads for something more than some place to keep your hats.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Kitchener Boy

Quote:
Soderberg was placed on the Bruins reserve list long ago just in case.
Teams have a 90 man reserve list which the maximum 50 man Standard Player Contracts (SPC) counts toward.
No waivers for Soderberg.
But he must obviously sign a SPC now to play.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Schnurvel

Söderberg is not the only one who might be stopped:

http://www.jnytt.se/nyhet/54045/jesp...rs-kan-stoppas

Old
03-23-2013, 01:13 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
Is this the guy that directed Oceans 11 and Traffic?

http://www.hockeyligan.se/video/2205362539001/

Old
03-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

I have never been convinced that this is going to happen. I don't think he is coming, hope I'm wrong.

Old
03-23-2013, 04:29 PM
vjcsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Bruins Fan View Post
I have never been convinced that this is going to happen. I don't think he is coming, hope I'm wrong.
You don't have to be convinced. No need to pre-order your Soderberg jersey, LOL. It will happen if it happens. And when it does there will be a lot of reason for excitement.

Old
03-23-2013, 04:32 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnurvel View Post

What is the games schedule for this round

Old
03-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Schnurvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
What is the games schedule for this round
From Linköping's website:

28/3 Skellefteå - LHC, Skellefteå Kraft Arena
30/3 LHC - Skellefteå, Cloetta Center
1/4 Skellefteå - LHC, Skellefteå Kraft Arena
3/4 LHC - Skellefteå, Cloetta Center
5/4 Skellefteå - LHC, Skellefteå Kraft Arena
7/4 LHC - Skellefteå, Cloetta Center
9/4 Skellefteå - LHC, Skellefteå Kraft Arena

(http://www2.lhc.eu/artikel/35137/)

Old
03-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Bruinator

Quote:

To the people from Sweden...Does the world Championship really mean that much to you? How can you get so excited for a championship that has most of the top players not involved? Extremely selfish move by Swedish officials if they step in the way of a player's wish to play amongst the best players in the world vying for the greatest trophy in hockey for a meaningless tournament that virtually no one else cares about. Forseberg should no better.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Fossy21
Himalayan Goal King

Quote:
To the people from Sweden...Does the world Championship really mean that much to you? How can you get so excited for a championship that has most of the top players not involved? Extremely selfish move by Swedish officials if they step in the way of a player's wish to play amongst the best players in the world vying for the greatest trophy in hockey for a meaningless tournament that virtually no one else cares about. Forseberg should no better.
First off, it's not that Peter Forsberg, in case you thought so. Either way, most Swedish hockey fans regard WC about as low as NA fans do - especially when teams don't get many NHL players in their rosters, and wish it wouldn't be held every year (which further diminishes its impact). However, it is a step above the mid-season national team tournaments, and I think most people watch the tournament more or less actively, at least past the group stages. There's no better national team hockey other than the Olympics, and many of us have fond memories from the WC (not least watching Forsberg, Sundin, Axelsson, etc. come back to beat Finland 6-5 in the 2003 quarterfinal in Helsinki after having been down 1-5).

It's a good opportunity to see what players can be depended on in later tournaments and whatnot (even though the Olympic rosters are generally more or less filled with NHL names). Of course the management want the best players available, but I doubt that they'll actually act on it and forbid players from playing where they want to in order to make them play WC hockey - especially not Yeti.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Schnurvel

Quote:
I just like it because I love hockey. The more the better! Also, since there usually aren't that many NHL players available for the WC, it's a great chance to get to see my favorite SEL players some more (I like the SEL more than the NHL anyway, so I always keep my fingers crossed that our national team doesn't get that many NHL players...^^). And it does make the season last a bit longer, instead of ending in the middle of April...

Old
03-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Elite Prospects

Quote:
No, no, no and no. It's extremely boring and I almost couldn't care less about the WC. However, this year it's in Sweden and last year it was split between Helsinki and Stockholm and it was a huge failure, both on the ice and the attendance. They want the best team possible, which is understandable, but in the end they won't stop players that want to go to NA. They can, but they won't.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:57 AM
Yabob

Quote:
It's team Sweden.... that means we are always excited (to some degree at least). It doesn't really matter what sport we are talking about... if it's a championship it's interesting. That said, it's not as interesting as the best on best Olympics..... but the truth is that the WC is the best level of hockey you get to watch all season in Europe (unless you follow the NHL, but that means paying extra to watch games in the middle of the night, involving teams which you might not have any emotional attachment to). Assuming it's not a year with Winter Olympics of course.

And don't think for a second that Söderberg ain't torn about this situation... he's being offered to come and play in the NHL.... yet if he does so he's probably giving up his last chance to play in a championship for Sweden on home ice.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:17 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
This is the beauty of a Yeti.

You swear you'll never believe again.....but then you do.....and then you swear you'll never believe again.....but then....
So just to clarify, he's coming? No wait, he's staying? No, no, no. He's coming. Oh wait, his loyalty to play for his home country in the WC's is causing him inner turmoil about whether to come or stay? To borrow a phrase from Yogi Bera, it's like deja vu all over again...

Old
03-25-2013, 09:33 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
After seeing what Morrow got, are you still thinking any of the guys you mentioned are feasible?

Old
03-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Yabob

Quote:

It appears that Swedish Ice Hockey Federation have struck a deal with the NHL concerning a number of Swedish players who are about to make the jump to the NA this season. The only ones mentioned by name are Jesper Fasth (who the article above was about) and Calle Järnkrok, but it covers other players as well.

These players may leave Sweden to play in NA now (assuming there season in Europe is over of course), but must return to Europe by April 15th.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle16479182.ab

If this applies to Söderberg is currently unknown.

Closed Thread