HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 08:44 AM
LaGu

vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind us going after Stalberg but we need to understand that there are no guarantees when it comes to him being all that we want, or expect, him to be. There was a reason why Toronto had no problem in dumping him and there's a reason why his cap-hit is below $1mil. Yes, he has thrived on Chicago and carved out kind of a Ryan Jones role there adding speed, energy and a decent goal scoring their lineup but he is surrounded by quality players and a good system.

He won't fix this team but he might be able to add something to the mix which we are low on in terms of energy and secondary scoring. That said, I think it is equally possible that hfboards will call for his head after half a season...

Old
03-25-2013, 08:44 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Really like that Morrow deal for Dallas. It was obvious their Morrow was probably getting dealt and he struggled for much of the year in which is playing time has decreased.

As for Pittsburgh they are a team that can afford to give up picks and prospects and I suspect they really like their chances at winning the cup.

Question now becomes which contender makes the next move.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:45 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
or justin schultz destroying the AHL and then disappearing in the nhl?
I was going to bring him up, but I had that debate Friday night with a buddy. Apparently Schultz is playing awesome.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:51 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I was going to bring him up, but I had that debate Friday night with a buddy. Apparently Schultz is playing awesome.
i def wouldnt say awesome, you can see the potential and skill in him but the nhl is a different league, it isnt easy for kids to come in. Tarasenko was on fire and has cooled considerably (i know he got injured). Expecting a rookie to make an immediate impact is crazy, unless they drive the play like hall does. we should be looking at 22-24 year old d men that have not quite put it together yet. thats where the quick impact can happen. let our your guys grow and surround them with players that are acustomed to the game already.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
or justin schultz destroying the AHL and then disappearing in the nhl?
Schultz has looked like a #4 defencemen. in his first year in the NHL. He has had alot of peaks and valleys as you'd expect from anyone in their first year. All while playing on a crappy team.

That is something to be excited about. He is exceeding any and all reasonable expectations.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:58 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Schultz has looked like a #4 defencemen. in his first year in the NHL. He has had alot of peaks and valleys as you'd expect from anyone in their first year. All while playing on a crappy team.

That is something to be excited about. He is exceeding any and all reasonable expectations.
I don't think many will deny this, but when Schultz who is a lot older and was highly touted as much as he was has problems why do people not look at Klefbom and think geez maybe the kid should stay in OKC for 40-50 games to get use to things?

Old
03-25-2013, 09:03 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
i def wouldnt say awesome, you can see the potential and skill in him but the nhl is a different league, it isnt easy for kids to come in. Tarasenko was on fire and has cooled considerably (i know he got injured). Expecting a rookie to make an immediate impact is crazy, unless they drive the play like hall does. we should be looking at 22-24 year old d men that have not quite put it together yet. thats where the quick impact can happen. let our your guys grow and surround them with players that are acustomed to the game already.
I think there are a couple of issues with both Schultz and Tarasenko. Both got hurt, so that could be hindering them. Then there is film, teams study film like crazy they try figure out the players tendencies and hit them hard.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I wouldn't mind us going after Stalberg but we need to understand that there are no guarantees when it comes to him being all that we want, or expect, him to be. There was a reason why Toronto had no problem in dumping him and there's a reason why his cap-hit is below $1mil. Yes, he has thrived on Chicago and carved out kind of a Ryan Jones role there adding speed, energy and a decent goal scoring their lineup but he is surrounded by quality players and a good system.

He won't fix this team but he might be able to add something to the mix which we are low on in terms of energy and secondary scoring. That said, I think it is equally possible that hfboards will call for his head after half a season...
The biggest thing I notice when guys like Stalberg, and others, are brought up, everyone treats them as the old "He won't fix thing", but he doesn't have to. The Oilers have holes in the roster, but you don't need guys to "fix" the holes, you need them to fill them.

You have to go to talent in the top-6, and top-9 to an extent frankly, so you don't "need" (though you could use them, don't get me wrong) all world players to fill these holes. Complimentary players who will fill this holes and fit these roles will make this team SO much better it's ridiculous. All I do is look at Ryan Malone or Chris Kunitz in Pitt, not all world, just fitting a role and making an impact.

The Oilers need that kind of fit as much as "major talent upgrade" or some such thing. On the blueline, I'll agree they need more then just "guys to play roles", but up front the Oilers don't need as much help as some make it out to seem, frankly.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:11 AM
joestevens29

I wish Nystrom was a center, might be available in Dallas and I like how he plays with a chip on his shoulder.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
I wish Nystrom was a center, might be available in Dallas and I like how he plays with a chip on his shoulder.
I'd still try to get Fiddler out of there and move Belanger along.

I'm on the fence with Nystrom, he's shown in the past he can play with skill guys, but he's a bit of a plug, plus their the career ending thing he does.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:37 AM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Klefbom's starting with us next season. He's good enough to make the club. I think a lot of you forget that he was far and away the best player at the rookie camp, even way ahead of Yak.
I think its ridiculous to think he is a lock to start the season with us because he looked great in a rookie camp.

He hasnt played in North America yet, hasnt even played a pre-season game yet, and is coming off of a season ending injury.

Best idea would be to plan on him being in the AHL and hope he is able to crack the NHL roster.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
I think its ridiculous to think he is a lock to start the season with us because he looked great in a rookie camp.

He hasnt played in North America yet, hasnt even played a pre-season game yet, and is coming off of a season ending injury.

Best idea would be to plan on him being in the AHL and hope he is able to crack the NHL roster.
If he is not starting with the Oilers next year he's not as good as we all hoped. If he can't beat out the slugs we have back there now then he is B+ prospect instead of an A prospect.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
I don't think many will deny this, but when Schultz who is a lot older and was highly touted as much as he was has problems why do people not look at Klefbom and think geez maybe the kid should stay in OKC for 40-50 games to get use to things?
Our problem is people like Schultz and Klefbom should be getting 3rd pairing minutes, behind solid players. The issue isn't so much that they are on the roster, but the roles they are given on the roster.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:57 AM
joestevens29

What in the **** happened to Staples? Move Whitney, Potter or Fedun can fill the void. Move Belanger, Lander is a better option?

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...o-clear-house/

Old
03-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

HF is broken right now, but to JS29 re: Staples

I agree, he's gone a little loopy here, I agree the Belanger to Lander you're not losing as much as some think, but anyone to Potter is a downgrade and move Fistric? Really? He's not a world beater, but he's hardly been terrible or expendable imo.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:19 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
If he is not starting with the Oilers next year he's not as good as we all hoped. If he can't beat out the slugs we have back there now then he is B+ prospect instead of an A prospect.
I hope our defence is better than that next season.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:32 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
The biggest thing I notice when guys like Stalberg, and others, are brought up, everyone treats them as the old "He won't fix thing", but he doesn't have to. The Oilers have holes in the roster, but you don't need guys to "fix" the holes, you need them to fill them.

You have to go to talent in the top-6, and top-9 to an extent frankly, so you don't "need" (though you could use them, don't get me wrong) all world players to fill these holes. Complimentary players who will fill this holes and fit these roles will make this team SO much better it's ridiculous. All I do is look at Ryan Malone or Chris Kunitz in Pitt, not all world, just fitting a role and making an impact.

The Oilers need that kind of fit as much as "major talent upgrade" or some such thing. On the blueline, I'll agree they need more then just "guys to play roles", but up front the Oilers don't need as much help as some make it out to seem, frankly.
I agree with this, maybe I expressed myself badly but the point of my post was not the "fix-thing". As you can see in my post I did say that I wouldn't mind Stalberg coming here as he could add something that we are missing right now. That said, I also reflected on the fact that posters should not think that he's a sure thing, or a quick fix. IMO he is not a sure bet and could very well turn out to be a disappointment. That doesn't mean that I think he couldn't be a useful player here if things go right for him and his game.

I'd even go further and say that I think that Stalberg at his current cap-hit would be a steal, despite the risks. But then again I doubt he'll remain below $1mil next year.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I agree with this, maybe I expressed myself badly but the point of my post was not the "fix-thing". As you can see in my post I did say that I wouldn't mind Stalberg coming here as he could add something that we are missing right now. That said, I also reflected on the fact that posters should not think that he's a sure thing, or a quick fix. IMO he is not a sure bet and could very well turn out to be a disappointment. That doesn't mean that I think he couldn't be a useful player here if things go right for him and his game.

I'd even go further and say that I think that Stalberg at his current cap-hit would be a steal, despite the risks. But then again I doubt he'll remain below $1mil next year.
No no, you're point was solid, I just meant the general idea that "this guy can't fix" things, but they don't have to.

And frankly, I'd have little problem paying Stalberg up to $2.5M, I really think he would make an excellent fit.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Mr Hands

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...1044--nhl.html

Any interest in Myers? what would the oil have to give up?

Old
03-25-2013, 10:41 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
HF is broken right now, but to JS29 re: Staples

I agree, he's gone a little loopy here, I agree the Belanger to Lander you're not losing as much as some think, but anyone to Potter is a downgrade and move Fistric? Really? He's not a world beater, but he's hardly been terrible or expendable imo.
Bleanger at least can win draws, something this team lacks. Not sure how adding yet another rookie is the answer.

Move Belanger, move Whitney I really don't care, but we better have legit replacements. Not pie in the sky players that might work. You want to give Lander the job or any rookie for that matter, let them play once the season is down the drain.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:42 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
What in the **** happened to Staples? Move Whitney, Potter or Fedun can fill the void. Move Belanger, Lander is a better option?

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...o-clear-house/
Honestly, I agree with everything in Staples' blog, at least with respect to the problems, if not the solutions.

Except maybe that Hartikainen has outperformed Petrell. Not sure about that, I've soured a bit on Harti TBH.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:44 AM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hands View Post

Eberle I'm guessing. Not that I'd want him moved, but I imagine that's the value Buffalo would require, and who the Oilers would most likely be willing to give up if they were interested.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:44 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

He could very well be what we need, but at the same time he'd be a huge project. Not sure we have room for yet another project especially one that can hurt us if he doesn't turn out.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:46 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Honestly, I agree with everything in Staples' blog, at least with respect to the problems, if not the solutions.

Except maybe that Hartikainen has outperformed Petrell. Not sure about that, I've soured a bit on Harti TBH.
I think most could agree with the problems, but doing what he suggested would be what we've been doing. Why continue down that backwards road?

Old
03-25-2013, 10:48 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

Too much for it to be of interest to me.

Closed Thread